Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget brand tyres

Options
  • 05-02-2014 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good budget brand tyre for a 225/45/17? There are alot out there and need to purchase 4, would like to get the best bang for my buck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

bartbanis wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good budget brand tyre for a 225/45/17? There are alot out there and need to purchase 4, would like to get the best bang for my buck.

The cheapest premium tyre, would be better than the most expensive budget.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

Best bang for your buck is gonna be good quality part worns should be gotten for 30-45e depending on the tyre.

Budget tyres are cheap for a reason

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

What's the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Never skimp on the rubber.
    Its all you have between you and the road.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Does anyone have any recommendations for the OP? Even if they're not necessarily budget brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How much are you prepared to spend OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are plenty of middle of the road (no pun intended) tyre brands that can be recommended. Hankook, Kumo, Uniroyal, Vredestein are all decent budget tyres, just avoid the cheap Chinese stuff like Triangles, Sunni, Wan Li or some brand you need to google.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Try and find out/look at the rating on the tyre also.

Temperature rating and road hold is what I find most important.

I had Michellin sports from original and changed to uniroyal rainsport 2 and getting the latest fitted shortly as they have the best wet rating on all tyre out there.

I feel the same as most are saying on here it's the only thing keeping you and the machine on the road and it's well worth it paying a little extra for a safer drive.

Look up the likes of eiretyres.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

I have the same size and get Matador MP46 and find them good. They're made in France. I think they were about €95 each fitted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Semperit tyres in coolmine €60 each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

You can get Kormoran Gamma B2 in that size for about €65.
    Riken Maystorm2 B2 for about the same.
    Nankang NS2 for about €70.
    All prices online so add fitting and balancing to it.

Those tyres should be reasonable good.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

robertxxx wrote: »
    Semperit tyres in coolmine €60 each.

In that size? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

bartbanis wrote: »

Wangli Ditch-finders - you'll get a massive bang when you hit something and a buck is about what they cost to make.

Or Vredestein at somewhere around €90 a tyre, which might cost more than a buck, but you'll get less bangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Wangli Ditch-finders - you'll get a massive bang when you hit something and a buck is about what they cost to make.

Or Vredestein at somewhere around €90 a tyre, which might cost more than a buck, but you'll get less bangs.

Where can you get Vredstein in that size for €90 fitted?

I'm actually looking for a set of 4 tyres in the same size as OP, and this seems really cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Stavros Murphy

CiniO wrote: »
    Where can you get Vredstein in that size for €90 fitted?

I'm actually looking for a set of 4 tyres in the same size as OP, and this seems really cheap.

Healys in Naas quoted me c.a €90 a tyre fitted for vreds for my celica(17s). Could have been €95, but it was very there or there abouts. I do buy a lot of tyres off them though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

colm_mcm wrote: »
    In that size? :eek:

Why of course not...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just as a matter of FYI, I got a couple of tyres recently a from a local supplier here in Drogheda, I took a note of prices for my size which was 205/55/16 fitted. I may not have model name exactly right, but you'll get the idea.

Kormoran Runpro2 €60
    Semperit Speedlite V €70
    Hancock Kinergy Eco €67
    Bridgestone Terenza T001 €75
    Dunlop Blue R €75
    Bridgestone A001 €80
    Good Year Effect Grip €75
    Continental premium control 5 €90

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

delly wrote: »
    Just as a matter of FYI, I got a couple of tyres recently a from a local supplier here in Drogheda, I took a note of prices for my size which was 205/55/16 fitted. I may not have model name exactly right, but you'll get the idea.

Kormoran Runpro2 €60
    Semperit Speedlite V €70
    Hancock Kinergy Eco €67
    Bridgestone Terenza T001 €75
    Dunlop Blue R €75
    Bridgestone A001 €80
    Good Year Effect Grip €75
    Continental premium control 5 €90

Was that McManus tyres by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You get Uniroyal RainSport 3 on eiretyres for 107 per tyre, that size

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bartbanis

veetwin wrote: »
    What's the car?
    08 vrs skoda octavia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Class!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Vredistien ultracs are cheap enough from cam skill 10-15 quid more than what Irish tyre places will charge for ditchfinders and tell you.

"Shurre they are grand boss has them on the van"

"They have a nice thread pattern"

Or some such nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭bartbanis

I ran with 4 "PACE PC10" tyres last time and got 12 months out of them, found them ok. Really cannot afford to go above €100 a tyre and those "PACE" tyres have jumped to €90 a tyre this year! I'm sure there are better for that kind of money

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

biko wrote: »
    You get Uniroyal RainSport 3 on eiretyres for 107 per tyre, that size

You can get them supplied and fitted/balanced in Dublin for €103 each.

Why people harp on about camskill/eiretyres I don't know, I've said this numerous times but I've never bought tyres on-line as they are always cheaper suppled and fitted from discount tyres in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Neilw wrote: »
    You can get them supplied and fitted/balanced in Dublin for €103 each.

Why people harp on about camskill/eiretyres I don't know, I've said this numerous times but I've never bought tyres on-line as they are always cheaper suppled and fitted from discount tyres in Dublin.

Because not everyone lives in Dublin nor want to travel so far that the cost of fuel to have the tyres changed is greater than savings. My local tyre fitters are a joke. They charge €110 for Sunnys. This was what I Was quoted 2 weeks ago for size 14's. The best quote from a "local" tyre fitter was 23kms away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

I'd recommend from experience the Toyo Proxes or CF1, and the Hankook Ventus Prime. I haven't tried the Vreidstien or Nokian brands - but have not heard anything bad about them. All seem excellent mid priced tyres.

I'd avoid the cheap stuff - no Naankang, Sunny or Wanli, etc. as I have nothing but bad experience with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Yawns wrote: »
    Because not everyone lives in Dublin nor want to travel so far that the cost of fuel to have the tyres changed is greater than savings. My local tyre fitters are a joke. They charge €110 for Sunnys. This was what I Was quoted 2 weeks ago for size 14's. The best quote from a "local" tyre fitter was 23kms away.

Exactly this a local place wanted 250 a corner for Goodyear f1's I laughed in his face and got some from cam skill for half that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

They deliver too, keeping your money in Ireland. €10 nationwide for 2 or more tyres last time I checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

My local tyre fitters are a joke. They charge €110 for Sunnys. This was what I Was quoted 2 weeks ago for size 14's.
    4 of them fitted and balanced surely, not each?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Neilw wrote: »
    They deliver too, keeping your money in Ireland. €10 nationwide for 2 or more tyres last time I checked.

Wasn't aware they deliver. Just had a look at their website and I have to do an e-mail quote. Not for me thanks. I prefer to be able to check prices for tyres there and then on screen. If he changed that I'd be more inclined to use their site.

Next time I need tyres tho I'll ring and see what he has. I'm not loyal to online ordering just like I don't buy into the buy local for the sake of it either. My money goes on the best value deal for my pocket. If I can get top brand tyres for slightly less online, I'll do what I've done before and approach tyre fitters but 9/10 they are not interested in matching even for a few small euro. They are usually dismissive in my experience.

EDIT:
    No mention of delivery on his site either. If he had this sort of information on his site, he'd prob get a bit of business from people like me who ring around and shop on line as well.

Advertisement