Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reviving the youghal railway line

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Better to make use of it for something rather than leave it the way it is.

We're great in this country for 'yerra shure they never shuda closed it' and 'it SHOULD be opened again' as if the money is going to fall out of the sky and irrespective of whether there is a real need/economic case for it or not.

I agree with what you are saying!question is now though will an official closure order be sought to shut the line permanently?if they are redeveloping it as a greenway i would assume so,correct me if i'm wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

In the case of the North Kerry, what I believe happened was the trackbed was transferred from the care of CIE to the GST (Great Southern Trail) for a nominal fee. I very much doubt re-opening as a rail line would have been economic. It was built on the cheap with numerous curves and quite hilly, the section outside NCW looks like a rollercoaster ride.

I don't think there was a formal abandonment notice, even after taking up the rails it was still CIE's as telecoms cable had been laid in the 90's or thereabouts.

In the case of the North Kerry, what I believe happened was the trackbed was transferred from the care of CIE to the GST (Great Southern Trail) for a nominal fee. I very much doubt re-opening as a rail line would have been economic. It was built on the cheap with numerous curves and quite hilly, the section outside NCW looks like a rollercoaster ride.

I don't think there was a formal abandonment notice, even after taking up the rails it was still CIE's as telecoms cable had been laid in the 90's or thereabouts.
    it would have cost them a fortune to formally abandon the line hence they didn't,but now it looks like they may have a way of getting rid of it and avoiding the cost of maintaining it with this proposal,but if it is turned into a wakway then they surely cannot still keep it as a track for the future if things drastically turned around or am I wrong???

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    it would have cost them a fortune to formally abandon the line hence they didn't,but now it looks like they may have a way of getting rid of it and avoiding the cost of maintaining it with this proposal,but if it is turned into a wakway then they surely cannot still keep it as a track for the future if things drastically turned around or am I wrong???

It aint going to be a railway ever again, no point. I don't see West Limerick/East Kerry turning into a hive of activity for anything, let alone a circuitous stretch of railway.

It aint going to be a railway ever again, no point. I don't see West Limerick/East Kerry turning into a hive of activity for anything, let alone a circuitous stretch of railway.
    not too familiar with the other line,but if its similar to youghal then possibly,but I bet people in carrigtwohill/midleton had this conversation about 10 years ago and look what happened,but as we all know its a very different country now compared with then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 btorodo

I am totally in favor of reopening the track, or at least clear it up and make a path to serve the community.

btorodo wrote: »
    I am totally in favor of reopening the track, or at least clear it up and make a path to serve the community.

apparently there's a plan to make a green way out of it but i really hope they dont,as mad as this may sound to some if they reopen that stretch if line i can see it being hugely profitable to Irish Rail

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Really ?? Where are all the paying customers going to come from/ go to ??
    Does youghal have that big a commuting population ?? A few summer holidayers ain't gonna make it ... !

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Really ?? Where are all the paying customers going to come from/ go to ??
    Does youghal have that big a commuting population ?? A few summer holidayers ain't gonna make it ... !
    all the towns the line passes through have expanded greatly since the last train actually passed through,the 70,000,000 figure it allegedly costs to reopen it is the number 1 reason they aint opening the cheque book it seems imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

,the 70,000,000 figure it allegedly costs to reopen it is the number 1 reason they aint opening the cheque book it seems imo

Seventy Million what?

• Advertisement

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Seventy Million what?

euro

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

euro

€ alt Gr hold down / hit F4

€ alt hold down / hit 0128 numeric

Red Nissan wrote: »
    € alt Gr hold down / hit F4

€ alt hold down / hit 0128 numeric

on the ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

all the towns the line passes through have expanded greatly since the last train actually passed through,the 70,000,000 figure it allegedly costs to reopen it is the number 1 reason they aint opening the cheque book it seems imo

The Midleton line requires a subvention in the region of €2m per annum for its operations in addition to the capital cost of reopening it.

Seeing as that is what is required for a short strectch of track covering the 2 towns served, the capital cost and annual subvention required to reopen the line to Youghal would be a multiple of that figure for a much smaller pool of potential customers.

In otherwords, not cost effective. The stalled N25 projects would be much better value for money.

TINA1984 wrote: »
    The Midleton line requires a subvention in the region of €2m per annum for its operations in addition to the capital cost of reopening it.

Seeing as that is what is required for a short strectch of track covering the 2 towns served, the capital cost and annual subvention required to reopen the line to Youghal would be a multiple of that figure for a much smaller pool of potential customers.

In otherwords, not cost effective. The stalled N25 projects would be much better value for money.
    is that the official reason for them not carrying on beyond midleton when that section reopened in 2009???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

is that the official reason for them not carrying on beyond midleton when that section reopened in 2009???

The line was only ever envisioned as reopening as far as Midleton as envisaged by the various CASP and LUTS reports of the past few decades.

Also, Irish Rail did a report in the past few years on the prospects of re-opening lines around the island, Midleton-Youghal didn't score very well.

Look never say never , it'd be madness to lose the permanent way but I think the councils next big rail linked push is Monard (new town, planned near Blarney) that and one of those bendy bus trams to balincolig , don't hold your breath for them but the plans are there ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Look never say never , it'd be madness to lose the permanent way but I think the councils next big rail linked push is Monard (new town, planned near Blarney) that and one of those bendy bus trams to balincolig , don't hold your breath for them but the plans are there ...
    the monard idea has already collapsed once,no idea as to its present status even though I live a handful of miles from the area,but IE seem to be looking to shut routes ATM

not too familiar with the other line,but if its similar to youghal then possibly,but I bet people in carrigtwohill/midleton had this conversation about 10 years ago and look what happened,but as we all know its a very different country now compared with then

No, not at all similar.

No, not at all similar.

Any link to photos of it

• Advertisement

Any link to photos of it

Google is your friend. :)

Google is your friend. :)
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

is this line dead in the water?

KC161 wrote: »

Yup

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Not a dicky bird about it for a long time.

Surprised the greenway thing hasn't surfaced much, seems to be greenway 'mania' in the rest of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I'd love to see the greenway take off.

deRanged wrote: »
    I'd love to see the greenway take off.

I'm surprised youghal tourism hasn't jumped on it - especially if it could be linked in with a coastal trail to dungarvan -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Not a dicky bird about it for a long time.

Surprised the greenway thing hasn't surfaced much, seems to be greenway 'mania' in the rest of the country.
    I hope to god it doesn't take off,from reading this thread and from talking to others about it,it seems the main issue is the "bog road" if anyone is familiar with it,last train ran in 1988 or thereabouts,that's over a generation,in the opinion of readers here would it be viable in todays climate?

I hope to god it doesn't take off,from reading this thread and from talking to others about it,it seems the main issue is the "bog road" if anyone is familiar with it,last train ran in 1988 or thereabouts,that's over a generation,in the opinion of readers here would it be viable in todays climate?

Why is this an issue?

I don't know if it would be viable or not, unless Youghal is a dormitory town on the same scale as Midleton I would doubt it. I wouldn't be relying on bucket-and-spade summer seaside traffic, that day is long gone.

• Advertisement

Why is this an issue?

I don't know if it would be viable or not, unless Youghal is a dormitory town on the same scale as Midleton I would doubt it. I wouldn't be relying on bucket-and-spade summer seaside traffic, that day is long gone.
    apparently that road has a tendency to sink does it?when you look at the combination of Mogeely,Killeagh and Youghal as a whole look how much they have grown in population in the last 27 years,only for the country heading for the brink of bankruptcy it may well have happened,midleton was sanction during the boom and was nearly completed by the bust.

Advertisement