Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reviving the youghal railway line

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    with private transport costs significantly rising it could make financial sense were it restored,the c.s.o would need to do a survey in east cork of it possibly?

The basic reason it stopped was because it was not supported. Not enough people want to come to Cork.

Midleton will be a 'suburb' of Cork, it is growing that way in the foreseeable future. Youghal would need to find Gold or other precious metal to mine in large quantities, we won't see Youghal as a suburb of Cork for maybe 300 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

Have you a link for the county development plan for the line from midleton to youghal???

Sorry I can't provide a link directly to deal with the rail line but below is a like for the plan for the county. Im not sure about Killeagh.

http://epublications.snap.com.au/volume_one_main_policy_material/10035108#

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Midleton will be a 'suburb' of Cork, it is growing that way in the foreseeable future.

Midleton unless plans have changed again will not become a suburb of Cork, there is a green belt set up to keep Midleton separate from Carrigtowhill, originally part of this green belt was the hole in the ground or waste of money other wise know as the Amgem site

Interesting to see that Midleton town council have still to pay over more then one million euro in railway levies still to Irish Rail that were collected on top of development levies during the building boom

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Lambofdave wrote: »
    There has been land set aside in Mogeely for a new station and carparks as per the county development plan
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mogeely/@51.9305049,-8.0538988,235m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x4843653922351585:0xa00c7a9973211d0

Isn't that... a field?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

rovoagho wrote: »
    Isn't that... a field?
    set aside for development of the station the OP was saying

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Looks like it's just been ploughed to me. :)

rovoagho wrote: »
    Looks like it's just been ploughed to me. :)
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

any idea what would happen with the killeagh station???it appears to be pricate property now as there's a house built directly adjacent to it???whether the house was there when the station was last in use i do not know but the name of it is railway lodge.

There is a new house at the rear of the old station on private land, but this seperated (by fences/hedges) from the area in which the railway station and signal hut lies. The house Railway Lodge is the old stations master's house (who still lives there afaik) and as such the land here is openly accessible to the land where the station and lines are.

mordeith wrote: »
    There is a new house at the rear of the old station on private land, but this seperated (by fences/hedges) from the area in which the railway station and signal hut lies. The house Railway Lodge is the old stations master's house (who still lives there afaik) and as such the land here is openly accessible to the land where the station and lines are.
    ah I seen railway lodge up close but was not sure about going to the old station itself due to this house being right next to it,is there a legal right of way on the old station do you know???wouldnt mind a few close up photos of it but at the same time don't want to be accused of trespass.

ah I seen railway lodge up close but was not sure about going to the old station itself due to this house being right next to it,is there a legal right of way on the old station do you know???wouldnt mind a few close up photos of it but at the same time don't want to be accused of trespass.

PM sent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

Markcheese wrote: »
    If you think it's such a good idea to reopen it as a rail line , get a bunch of like minded people together and do it yourself :) .
    It'd probably only cost 3 or 4 hundred million..
    A walking track/cycle way would be more likely ,and yes it does look pretty in mogeely...

3 or 4 hundred million is waaay wide off the mark. The most expensive part of reinstating any railway line is the land purchase for the permanent way and in the case of the Midleton-Youghal line the old route is intact. Of course the whole track would need to be relaid and level crossings renewed but the railway could be restored, it just needs the political will locally to do it.

The whole greenway to preserve the line for a future railway argument doesn't stack up. In Belfast the old Newtownards line was converted to a greenway some years ago but when the NI department for regional development tried to run a Bus Rapid Transit route on the old railway track Sustrans the greenway charity and local cyclists fought back and stopped the BRT and any future railway or tram from using the old line in the future. In short, experience shows that if you put a greenway on a railway line you won't ever get that railway line back.

That's why it's really important for people in Youghal to get organised and actively campaign to get their railway back. The local and European elections are in May so there really is no time like the present!

in brief I have 2 question's of curiosity,why was the line never legally closed and secondly.
    why was the youghal station re roofed???
    clearly I.E must have some plan for if???
    if midleton was shut in 1963(from what I've read) and reopened in 2009,
    surely that must give hope to the remainder of the line eventually,
    especially as the government is trying to promote more use of public transport!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

in brief I have 2 question's of curiosity,why was the line never legally closed and secondly.
    why was the youghal station re roofed???
    clearly I.E must have some plan for if???
    if midleton was shut in 1963(from what I've read) and reopened in 2009,
    surely that must give hope to the remainder of the line eventually,
    especially as the government is trying to promote more use of public transport!

a. because there was legislation brought in after the 60's when CIE closed vast mileages of railway that they couldn't just close and rip them up overnight. The Fenit branch and New Ross branches are still CIE property as well as parts of Waterford - Ballinacourty. I think the part of the North Kerry that is now a walkway may have been transferred for a nominal price and the rest is CIE's, in spite of what the squatting local farmers think.

b. probably was a listed building and they had to do it after the local scummers went in a burnt it down. Maybe a bit of pressure from the town council as well. I wouldn't read too much into that.

a. because there was legislation brought in after the 60's when CIE closed vast mileages of railway that they couldn't just close and rip them up overnight. The Fenit branch and New Ross branches are still CIE property as well as parts of Waterford - Ballinacourty. I think the part of the North Kerry that is now a walkway may have been transferred for a nominal price and the rest is CIE's, in spite of what the squatting local farmers think.

b. probably was a listed building and they had to do it after the local scummers went in a burnt it down. Maybe a bit of pressure from the town council as well. I wouldn't read too much into that.

Any openly available list of all listed buildings in the country???would be interesting to see are the killeagh and youghal stations on it,i should also add mogeely station to that

Imagine they are, they haven't escaped attention of the survey people at any rate. An Taisce should have info on what's actually listed.

Imagine they are, they haven't escaped attention of the survey people at any rate. An Taisce should have info on what's actually listed.

Thanks for that,David Stanton the T.D is constantly keeping an eye on the line,i wonder will Barbara Murray have that as part of her pre election promise,its so overgrown you wouldnt even know it was/is a track,but it still shows up on sat nav's as a railway line.

I'll take politicians' promises with a lorry-load of salt.

I'll take politicians' promises with a lorry-load of salt.

Even that wouldnt be enough,the only train he'll be on is the gravy train!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Where are all the people needed to make reopening the line a necessity ..?
    Has there been an industrial boom in youghal that I missed , The regular service closed before the age of mass car ownership, and apart from a bottle neck in castlemartyr the road is way better (and quicker) now than then ...
    In 20 or 30 years it may all change but now there's little money for pointless infrastructure ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I would be in favour of keeping the route as a cycleway, but if there ever was a time in the future when an operational railway could come back, you're going to have lobby groups of cyclists and walkers objecting like you see with Sustrans in the uk. There was a idiotic situation in England where due to lobbying they couldn't get the rail alignment back and had no option but to use heavy lorries to transport mineral deposits out on minor roads through small villages.

Found all 3 buildings but no mention of them being listed,surely they are.

AFAIK none of the buildings on that wesbite are listed. Rather they're a survey of buidings that are recommened to be listed.
    I haven't had a look myself but this is the list of protected structures for Cork county
    http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/pdf/901892758.pdf

Seems very scrappy. Very few railway buildings..Millstreet (and not nearby similar building at Banteer/Lombardstown/Kanturk/Newmarket, Carrickabrick viaduct mentioned but not the largely intact Fermoy buildings) and an odd bridge here and there.
    Interesting that Charleville station is a 'protected structure' and not Mallow, since the main booking office/station house and waiting shelter at Charleville were demolished in the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 audab

Youghal railway station is registered as a protected structure under the Youghal Town Development Plan: http://www.youghal.ie/images/stories/Development_Plan/youghal_dev_plan_vol11_final.pdf

Page 92, no's 3003 & 3004

audab wrote: »
    Youghal railway station is registered as a protected structure under the Youghal Town Development Plan: http://www.youghal.ie/images/stories/Development_Plan/youghal_dev_plan_vol11_final.pdf

Page 92, no's 3003 & 3004
    are the killeagh and mogeely stations under the control of youghal town council or cork county council,would be interesting to know the official status of those also,many thanks for the info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 audab

Definitely not Youghal council anyway. Would assume that's Cork Co Co's area

audab wrote: »
    Definitely not Youghal council anyway. Would assume that's Cork Co Co's area
    that killeagh station aint the easiest to get a photo of :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I walked over the old line on Saturday morning. You'd barely know there had been a track there, and this is only a couple of hundred metres from Midleton station.

13226928123_4d29f6c4fb_z.jpg
    Youghal Midleton railway line by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

• Advertisement

deRanged wrote: »
    I walked over the old line on Saturday morning. You'd barely know there had been a track there, and this is only a couple of hundred metres from Midleton station.

13226928123_4d29f6c4fb_z.jpg
    Youghal Midleton railway line by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

Somewhere between midleton and youghal 7 miles of track was removed in the 1990's,judging by your shot its evident you found the spot!i took photos of mogeely station myself only last week,did you take a few photos or just the one???

Advertisement