Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reviving the youghal railway line

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    Valid point you have,but the Cobh line if it goes at all it would be put back into service for the summer months I would imagine,due to the tourist season.,

A small point, Cobh gets almost 100% of her tourists form the Cruise Liners that dock in the deep water terminal.

Those taking day excursions, go by bus, almost zero use the train.

Fota [Wildlife Park Section] by train is a delight and often fills trains on its own in the Summer. This year the Golf Open might bring a buzz by train sure enough.

I think Youghal to Wexford and Bray might be more viable than anything from Youghal to Cork, it was a boring industrial line, Wexford has some kick ass and unique and UNDERATED but still running lines, IMO, that is more likely in the future.

Sounds a bit odd but one has to have, scenery, excitement and destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Red Nissan wrote: »
    A small point, Cobh gets almost 100% of her tourists form the Cruise Liners that dock in the deep water terminal.

Those taking day excursions, go by bus, almost zero use the train.

Fota [Wildlife Park Section] by train is a delight and often fills trains on its own in the Summer. This year the Golf Open might bring a buzz by train sure enough.

Railtours Ireland are buzzing with tourists wanting the Queenstown/Titanic schtick. Don't think Cobh is going to close anytime soon, apart from the side of the station that operates as a museum/cafe the rail side could do with a facelift (think it's getting one right now)

Re the Bray - Wexford line, money has been fired at it for donkey's years on coastal defences to keep it from slipping into the sea.

Re the Bray - Wexford line, money has been fired at it for donkey's years on coastal defences to keep it from slipping into the sea.

Yes, the sea keeps taking it away and it is amongst the most costly lines but almost unique too.

I'm sort of thinking Sunny South East from Bray to Youghal passing the Wexford Pirates and mining country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Railtours Ireland are buzzing with tourists wanting the Queenstown/Titanic schtick. Don't think Cobh is going to close anytime soon, apart from the side of the station that operates as a museum/cafe the rail side could do with a facelift (think it's getting one right now)

during tourist season its likely that its the most profitable time of year for them,I.E are expanding in Cork in general over the next decade or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I think Youghal to Wexford and Bray might be more viable than anything from Youghal to Cork, it was a boring industrial line, Wexford has some kick ass and unique and UNDERATED but still running lines, IMO, that is more likely in the future.

Sounds a bit odd but one has to have, scenery, excitement and destination.

Sure while yr at it just keep going to wales,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Sure while yr at it just keep going to wales,

Wasn't Brunell going to do just that 150 years ago? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Getting back on "track".........

I have happy memories, many years ago, of finishing work at 5pm, running to Kent station to get the train to the Little Island station, walking to near Carrigtwohill to meet the oul doll, to spend an hour with her and running back to catch the last train back to Kent. And then, walking nearly 2 miles to get home. All for love.

It lasted a year and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

reic wrote: »
    Getting back on "track".........

I have happy memories, many years ago, of finishing work at 5pm, running to Kent station to get the train to the Little Island station, walking to near Carrigtwohill to meet the oul doll, to spend an hour with her and running back to catch the last train back to Kent. And then, walking nearly 2 miles to get home. All for love.

It lasted a year and a half.

fair play. personally, I'd have taken the train to Glounthaune (then Cobh Junction) and saved myself a fair bit of the walk :)

deRanged wrote: »
    fair play. personally, I'd have taken the train to Glounthaune (then Cobh Junction) and saved myself a fair bit of the walk :)

Actually, it was that station in Glounthaune. In the middle of nowhere!

• Advertisement

Just a last picture. The waiting room at Carrigtwohill station. Not today of course!

886261f1e57ef811c27e495492a34ffacaa7cf1d.jpg

Just a last picture. The waiting room at Carrigtwohill station. Not today of course!

886261f1e57ef811c27e495492a34ffacaa7cf1d.jpg
    keep these pics flowing :D

ok, they're all kind of the same.

Carrigtwohill from under the bridge:

ae6164187285c6e95062c11efaef58102799ba9d.jpg

The gentleman's loo there just seemed to be a wall, lol. I hope the ladies was a bit better!

fb1168147583cfe0558632cec9933d7c94f840c1.jpg

The signal pole on the bog road:

95e26d910c761888c52edf5c50361c5d1c3bd1f3.jpg

ok, they're all kind of the same.

Carrigtwohill from under the bridge:

ae6164187285c6e95062c11efaef58102799ba9d.jpg

The gentleman's loo there just seemed to be a wall, lol. I hope the ladies was a bit better!

fb1168147583cfe0558632cec9933d7c94f840c1.jpg

The signal pole on the bog road:

95e26d910c761888c52edf5c50361c5d1c3bd1f3.jpg
    mother ta jasus these are fantastic,you should join flickr OP!:)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Riva10 wrote: »
    The poor condition of roads in County Cork is much more important than spending much needed resources on a piece of railway line.
    How many millions were spent on reviving The Midleton Cork railway, only to see trains on a daily basis travelling with 2 and 3 people on board and that includes the driver. Forget the Youghal railway and fix our roads.
    Where are you getting these figiures from?Its always been very busy anytime I've used it.

Where are you getting these figiures from?Its always been very busy anytime I've used it.
    I se that train a minimum of 2-3 times a week and its a pretty busy service,i think the OP may have made a major miscalculation of their figures!

according to the irish independent,if varadkar has his way trains will be history,i seen the headline but haven't read the full article,that would be the final nail in the coffin for youghal :(

I read that too, sadly.

I read that too, sadly.
    did he elaborate on what his plans were OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

the article is here.

I don't think they will go after commuter routes, it'd be a strange choice. I expect some of the lines with ludicrously low usage will go. The main issue seems to be lines with competing bus/motorway routes.

• Advertisement

according to the irish independent,if varadkar has his way trains will be history,i seen the headline but haven't read the full article,that would be the final nail in the coffin for youghal :(

There is no 'coffin' provided the Youghal line, or rather the trackbed, stays in public hands there is a glimmer of hope. If it was sold off to landowners, you can say goodbye to it permanently.

There is no 'coffin' provided the Youghal line, or rather the trackbed, stays in public hands there is a glimmer of hope. If it was sold off to landowners, you can say goodbye to it permanently.

If the state get desperate for money they could privatise the line

If the state get desperate for money they could privatise the line

They're doing quite well, by shaking down its citizens of any disposable income they might have at the moment....

They're doing quite well, by shaking down its citizens of any disposable income they might have at the moment....

Yes very true,however that resource will eventually dry up if they continue the way they are

According to this article,there'll never be a train in youghal again

http://www.eastcorkjournal.ie/e10m-boost-for-local-economy/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

It will never be a railway line again. That's really the end of any hope of getting the railway back to Youghal.

It will never be a railway line again. That's really the end of any hope of getting the railway back to Youghal.
    I don't know would I describe that as sadly or tragically,many people wanted to see trains in youghal again,sadly I was one of many that was too young to remember the last time they passed through.

As a kid I used to be brought to the Youghal Beach, never did like the last minute packup and dash for the last or perhaps only train going home to Cork again.

It was always packed with noise, the trip from Cork was fine as I remember.

As a kid I used to be brought to the Youghal Beach, never did like the last minute packup and dash for the last or perhaps only train going home to Cork again.

It was always packed with noise, the trip from Cork was fine as I remember.
    looks like those kind of memories are compounded to history unfortunately judging by the article I posted on this thread last night :(

• Advertisement

Better to make use of it for something rather than leave it the way it is.

We're great in this country for 'yerra shure they never shuda closed it' and 'it SHOULD be opened again' as if the money is going to fall out of the sky and irrespective of whether there is a real need/economic case for it or not.

Advertisement