Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you give yourself the flu for £3750?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Peter Tork wrote: »
    No. Your health is your wealth.

Unless your Larry Flynt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Be grand, takes a lot to ground me. Made of strong stuff.

It'll ground you alright. No chance I'd ever do it. Had flu once when I was about 16, will never forget it, it was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

God I dunno- if I really needed the money, maybe. But I'm just about managing financially so I wouldn't do it I'd say. I just get so so sick when I've full blown flu, I get totally delirious and my eyes glue shut. I suppose it'd have to help to know you'd be "rewarded" for your pain but viruses are such mad things that I'd be afraid I could be affected in some more serious way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

No
    I just put the normal flu over me last week and it was just a regular flu. I have however previously survived a bout of swine flu H1N1 and also Avian inluenza H5N1. Whilst traveling in Asia a few years back I am pretty confident I also contracted SARS and that was a horrible dose.

My cure for Swine and Avian flu has been massive doses of poitin punch before going to bed in a drunken stupor. I also had Pnemonia and suffered with Asthma for years. I am probably not eligible for the clinical trial but if I was I would easily defeat what nasty bugs they try to infect me with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

No
    Stinicker wrote: »
    I just put the normal flu over me last week and it was just a regular flu. I have however previously survived a bout of swine flu H1N1 and also Avian inluenza H5N1. Whilst traveling in Asia a few years back I am pretty confident I also contracted SARS and that was a horrible dose.

My cure for Swine and Avian flu has been massive doses of poitin punch before going to bed in a drunken stupor. I also had Pnemonia and suffered with Asthma for years. I am probably not eligible for the clinical trial but if I was I would easily defeat what nasty bugs they try to infect me with.

You're like a human magnet for flu! You won't be getting any tongue kisses from me, not a single one!

• Advertisement

No
    I'd definitely do it for that kind of cash. I'd probably do it for as little as two grand.

I'd definitely do it for that kind of cash. I'd probably do it for as little as two grand.

Ssssshhhhhhh you'll ruin it for the rest of us :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

No way. I've never had the flu, and I'd be afraid that contracting it once would make me more susceptible in future to it, or have other long-term consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Depends i think the 3750 is for H1N1 id not do it for H1N1

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No
    I'd do it in a heartbeat.

my only reservation is the 2 words that ruin every good money making scheme : UP TO (3750)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

I've been working retail for 20+ years serving hundreds of people a day.

Before that I went to school and college surrounded by nearly 1000 people every day.

I'm 40.

I have never had the 'diagnosed Flu' although I have self diagnosed what I assume was the flu about 15 years ago because it was the worst experience of my life and matched the symptoms. I knew as it is a virus there was no point going to the doctor and I'd only risk infecting others by going there.

Call me Mr skeptical that there is anyone on this earth outside of nursing staff that has contracted the regular annual flu, H1N1, H1N5 and Sars in their lifetime never mind the last few years. You must have a pretty pathetic pain/suffering threshold if your annual cold/sore throat has you thinking you've contracted the virus du jour

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

No
    Hmmm let me see get the flu on my own time and suffer it for free or get the flu and get paid for my suffering...decisions decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Peter Tork wrote: »
    No. Your health is your wealth.

This one of the rare occasions where you can actually trade it for money.

The old cliche finally makes some sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Sure why not? It sounds like a bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I had proper flu once and every cold I've ever had since was the worse for it. I genuinely feel like it had a permanent effect. One week of being totally out of it, and 2-3 weeks of further uselessness on top of it, and IMHO, a lasting weakness to other minor illnesses?

I'd be tempted for four grand, very tempted, but then I remember the reality of it... no. Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaayz, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Absolutely not!

Influenza is an awful dose. Once you get it there's no way of predicting the effects it will have your on body. Even a mild dose of flu can produce lasting complications. It's really great that people volunteer their health for the welfare of the others. But alas that's not really what happens. People are wooed in by the money because the risks seem negligible to them. You don't want to experience the flu - ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

That's insane money for a dose of flu. I'd do it in a flash to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Jernal wrote: »
    Once you get it there's no way of predicting the effects it will have your on body.
    This. Do some research on these companies, and you'll find that 3 years down the road you find out it was caused by the injection, you'll probably die of old age, and/or whatever ails you, before you get compensation money from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

If you have medical insurance, and if disclosed to your insurer your premiums will sky rocket so the short term gain will be clawed back over your lifetime, and if you don't disclose your not covered.
    But then again i you an afford med insurance you ain't evemn gonna consider becoming a guinea pig.
    Still wouldn't myself

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

No
    what exactly is a flu and how is it similar to a cold?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

masti123 wrote: »

Influenza, commonly known as "the flu", is an infectious disease of birds and mammals caused by RNA viruses of the family Orthomyxoviridae, the influenza viruses.

It can be difficult to distinguish between the common cold and influenza in the early stages of these infections, but a flu can be identified by a high fever with a sudden onset and extreme fatigue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

masti123 wrote: »

Cold is to apple as flu is to orange. I've never experienced the flu. A cold is generally just a bit of a sniffle, a cough, maybe a light fever. A flu is like somebody punched the stuffing out you and you punching the stuffing out of them so much than none of your muscles feel like they can function.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Jernal wrote: »
    Absolutely not!

Influenza is an awful dose. Once you get it there's no way of predicting the effects it will have your on body. Even a mild dose of flu can produce lasting complications. ................

Can lead to heart attacks , type 1 diabetes & sorts down the line apparently :(
    In the five published trials, within 1 year of follow-up, only 95 of the 3,238 patients (2.9%) given the flu vaccine experienced a major adverse cardiovascular event, compared with 151 of 3,231 patients (4.7%) given a placebo or control.
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/267777.php
    Doctors in Japan and Italy have reported many newly diagnosed cases of type 1 diabetes in people who had recently had flu, and an upsurge in type 1 diabetes after the 2009 pandemic.
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/267777.php

- i'm sure there's better examples out there

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

No
    I'd tell them to give me two doses, 8 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'd be more worried about the drugs they'd give you to cure it.

Anyway no, 4k is pocket change, not worth risking my health over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

No
    This post has been deleted.

Thread is full of people who've never had proper flu and this place would likely be giving you even worse, thus the money. I wouldn't do it unless my situation took a severe dive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I've had the flu twice. It's awful. Like being hit by a train. Multiple times

But I'd still take 4k sterling to do it again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I'd consider getting infected with the flu for €100, provided I had no plans for the next few weeks. Though, I don't think I'd like to participate in any clinical trials to try drugs which have never been tested on anyone else, I could be left with permanent side effects.

Advertisement