Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Million Ways To Die In The West

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

This looks shockingly bad, McFarlane has a head you would just love to punch

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

McFarlane should stick to animation, this looks brutal!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

He's a one trick pony. His "comedy" is big, loud and crude. Which is fine, if you like that kind of thing, but after God knows how many years of Family Guy, American Dad, Cleveland etc. etc. how are people not sick of it by now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Seth wanted Paul Rudd for the lead instead of himself apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

A review on BBC News earlier panned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

James King on Kermode and Mayo show who's a big Seth fan was disappointed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Was pretty disappointed with this. I enjoyed ted, and I love family guy. The movie was a let down. There was a few in the cinema laughing at every one liner even the bad ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I saw it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Most of the audience did as well.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Judging by people's reactions to the jokes they should of called it "A Million Ways to kill a comedy."

Avoiding this one.

Just stay at home and watch Blazing Saddles again.

thought it was so-so, can see why Seth Macfarlane did a ton of promotion for this. If it's true that Charlize Theron turned down a part in Paul Thomas Anderson Inherent Vice for this, she should look at herself in the mirror. Amanda Seyfried career is really on the wane if she's taking a nothing role like this. Neil Patrick Harris, Giovanni Ribisi and Sarah Silverman (kind wished the film was based around their characters) did a great job but were sadly under used. Seth Macfarlane isn't a leading man, he's the sidekick to the leading man, but he's not bad at all in this. Liam Neeson must have got a great paycheck for this as it's a nothing role.

Saying that you have some funny moments
    Christopher Lloyd as Dr Brown from Back to the Future was worth the price of admission alone, Jamie Foxx as Django was a nice touch too, I thought the way liam neeson died was funny and the Indian scene was great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭lau1247

Was pretty disappointed with this. I enjoyed ted, and I love family guy. The movie was a let down. There was a few in the cinema laughing at every one liner even the bad ones.

Yeah agree, went to see it yesterday, one guy was laughing at everything (even when there is no joke at the time :confused:). It got so bad that i think people are laughing at him instead.

As for the movie, it has some of its moment but overall, i just went to see charlize theron ;)

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 33,278 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It had some good moments, but relied too much on needlessly crude bits, and running some jokes into the ground. Typical Family Guy humour where they point out a flaw in something (like Charlize Theron's dress at the dance) and just over-explain the flaws for far too long

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Looper007 wrote: »
    thought it was so-so, can see why Seth Macfarlane did a ton of promotion for this. If it's true that Charlize Theron turned down a part in Paul Thomas Anderson Inherent Vice for this, she should look at herself in the mirror. Amanda Seyfried career is really on the wane if she's taking a nothing role like this. Neil Patrick Harris, Giovanni Ribisi and Sarah Silverman (kind wished the film was based around their characters) did a great job but were sadly under used. Seth Macfarlane isn't a leading man, he's the sidekick to the leading man, but he's not bad at all in this. Liam Neeson must have got a great paycheck for this as it's a nothing role.

Saying that you have some funny moments
    Christopher Lloyd as Dr Brown from Back to the Future was worth the price of admission alone, Jamie Foxx as Django was a nice touch too, I thought the way liam neeson died was funny and the Indian scene was great

Personally hate Sarah Silverman. I tolerated her in this, like I tolerated the rest of the movie. It she came on the tv, she would be off in a flash.

Personally hate Sarah Silverman. I tolerated her in this, like I tolerated the rest of the movie. It she came on the tv, she would be off in a flash.

She was one of the better things in the film but I agree overall with what you say.

She's not really my cup of tea, anytime she does talk shows or game shows over in the UK, her jokes fall flat on their asses. she's one of those American comedians that doesn't travel well outside the U.S, she's a very American comedian and her kind of female humour has been done far better by U.K Female Comedians back in the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

She was one of the better things in the film but I agree overall with what you say.

She's not really my cup of tea, anytime she does talk shows or game shows over in the UK, her jokes fall flat on their asses. she's one of those American comedians that doesn't travel well outside the U.S, she's a very American comedian and her kind of female humour has been done far better by U.K Female Comedians back in the 90's.

Her entire routine seems to be "I have a vagina and swear", she's not funny at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

Getting pretty bad review online. I thought Ted was ok...this looks ****e though.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    Her entire routine seems to be "I have a vagina and swear", she's not funny at all.

True but it's kinda new thing in the States for a Female comic to do the things she does. But I agree she's not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Saw this at the weekend and I'd go 50:50 on it. Some good stuff, some nicely placed subtle jokes
    I like the conversation about the kids playing with the stick & hoop, comparing it to modern video games, also the translation of 'Mila Kunis' meaning 'Fine' in Indian
    and cameos,
    Dr Brown, Django, Ewan McGregor (I think) and Ryan Reynolds

A grand all round comedy, helped out alot by Charlize Theron.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Yeah, agree with that. Enjoyable enough if a little too long.

A lot of the best visual gags were in the trailer but I too enjoyed some of the subtler jokes.

And I'm fond of Sarah Silverman, her stand up isn't anything to write home about but she's someone I'm always happy to see in a cast.

prospect wrote: »
    Saw this at the weekend and I'd go 50:50 on it. Some good stuff, some nicely placed subtle jokes
    I like the conversation about the kids playing with the stick & hoop, comparing it to modern video games, also the translation of 'Mila Kunis' meaning 'Fine' in Indian
    and cameos,
    Dr Brown, Django, Ewan McGregor (I think) and Ryan Reynolds

A grand all round comedy, helped out alot by Charlize Theron.

What scene was
    Ewan McGregor?? I didn't see that but I liked the fact that Ryan Reynolds was in Ted too, Dr Brown was the icing on the cake

What scene was
    Ewan McGregor?? I didn't see that but I liked the fact that Ryan Reynolds was in Ted too, Dr Brown was the icing on the cake

it was
    At the fair, when everyone was laughing at NPH's bad 'joke' and SMcF asked everyone what was funny, EMcG was the guy that said 'Eh I dunno'.
    , but I could be recalling that all wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭lau1247

prospect wrote: »
    it was
    At the fair, when everyone was laughing at NPH's bad 'joke' and SMcF asked everyone what was funny, EMcG was the guy that said 'Eh I dunno'.
    , but I could be recalling that all wrong :D

i didn't spot it
    but yep he is in it according to IMDB

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

lau1247 wrote: »
    i didn't spot it
    but yep he is in it according to IMDB

It was the accent I picked up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Some good scenes, some dreadfully unfunny ones.

The moustache song and trip scenes total winners to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i thought it was great.

lot more romantic in places than i thougt it'd be.

its not brilliant and though not all the best gags are in the trailer you'd definetly enjoy it more if you didnt see any of them, but still all in all not a bad way to pass the afternoon.

theron was clearly having a blast with the material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Saw this today, really enjoyed it!!
    Nothing amazing or spectacular but definitly just good fun of a movie, made me actually laugh out loud a lot, wasnt expecting that!
    And an actual good story too, not just slapstick, will definitly go again methinks :)

Advertisement