Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭trancemuzic

Watched the France game back again tonight and i am sure that ball was thrown forward on purpose at the end

I think France were happy and had shown they could beat us if they really wanted and they just didn't want England to win the championship in the end

He tried to make it look accidental and he disguised it well but he wasn't passing that ball to win a championship for England

Fair play to the lad

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Watched the France game back again tonight and i am sure that ball was thrown forward on purpose at the end

I think France were happy and had shown they could beat us if they really wanted and they just didn't want England to win the championship in the end

He tried to make it look accidental and he disguised it well but he wasn't passing that ball to win a championship for England

Fair play to the lad

Somehow I don't think that is how the minds of professional sportsmen and women work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Fair play to the lad

Don't stop listening to trance there mate.

And my turn to be a pedant: it's music not muzic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Don't stop listening to trance there mate.

And my turn to be a pedant: it's music not muzic.

If your going to be pedantic it's actually Sh*t*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

bilston wrote: »
    Somehow I don't think that is how the minds of professional sportsmen and women work.

Papé can't pass anyway. If he wanted to pass it forward he probably would have ended up passing it backwards! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Papé can't pass anyway. If he wanted to pass it forward he probably would have ended up passing it backwards! :pac:

I forgot it was Pape. That what locks get for trying to pass a ball more than 5 meters.

Sure didn't he manage to pass it forward in the space of 2 meters in the Wales game, then bollocked the receiver out of it for it?! Gas man, big fella, hands like tits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭Christy42

Fair play to the lad

Sure we let new zealand score as well to give them the perfect season too so it is only fair someone repaid the favour. This isn't how sports work. Forward passes happen especially when the game is being played at that speed. He saw the incoming tackler and hurried the pass which meant he got his angles wrong.

I hate people trying to sully victories like that. It does seem to be something very Irish in that "oh we couldn't have really won that".

Would you be happy with an Irish midfield of Bundee Aki and Jared Payne? A Samoan Kiwi from South Auckland and a Bay of Plenty lad?

I ask because I'm wondering is the Emerald Isle so bereft of talent that the IRFU needs to recruit from overseas? Once upon a time Ireland was a destination for ABs who had achieved all they could back home to round out their careers (Cullen, Howlett, Thorn) or for players who while good we're never going to make the ABs (Craig Clarke, Rua Tipoki). But now it seems to becoming a career pathway for some NZ players...at the expense of Irish ones.

What is wrong with a future midfield of Stuart Olding and Robbie Henshaw for example?

I'm genuinely wondering what made Bundee sign? Only in his second SXV season, and post 2015 likely to be opportunities aplenty in NZ with a Lions tour in 2017, and he signs for the weakest of the Irish provinces with an eye to spending 3 years waiting to represent neither NZ nor Samoa...but Ireland?

I mean it's great for Connacht, but what do people think? Do you want Irish players playing for Ireland or Kiwis playing for Irleand?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

There's a looooooooong way to go before we even think about Aki for Ireland. By the time he's eligible an NZ club might want him back, and Ireland are producing a lot of inside centres (Olding and Marshall the obvious 2 right now, Daly could have a big future too). In any case I wouldn't be too opposed to it, spending 3 years in a foreign country is a big commitment and if he does that I'd be more than happy to adopt him as one of our own.

• Advertisement

matthew8 wrote: »
    There's a looooooooong way to go before we even think about Aki for Ireland. By the time he's eligible an NZ club might want him back, and Ireland are producing a lot of inside centres (Olding and Marshall the obvious 2 right now, Daly could have a big future too). In any case I wouldn't be too opposed to it, spending 3 years in a foreign country is a big commitment and if he does that I'd be more than happy to adopt him as one of our own.

But the NZ websites are saying he was recruited with an eye to becoming eligible. It's a free world so I'm not denying his right to do what he wants but it seems the IRFU must have been party to it? I mean if all the names you list above are future Irish internationals why chase Aki?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

It's a question that could lead to a few ugly pages.

What do you do when you're lacking in a certain position? Do you stick it out and wait for the talent to emerge, at the expense of being more competitive? Or do you plug the hole with someone overseas until the talent emerges. The answer is the latter, and I guess the logic is that they might as well be project players because if the talent doesn't end up emerging, the guy who's plugged the hole will be able to play.

I can't say I'm totally on board with the idea of Aki playing for Ireland, but then again I might feel differently after he's done his 3 years. I'm happy to see Strauss and Payne play in green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Would you be happy with an Irish midfield of Bundee Aki and Jared Payne? A Samoan Kiwi from South Auckland and a Bay of Plenty lad?

I ask because I'm wondering is the Emerald Isle so bereft of talent that the IRFU needs to recruit

I mean it's great for Connacht, but what do people think? Do you want Irish players playing for Ireland or Kiwis playing for Irleand?

I'm not having a pop, but this made me laugh.....a kiwi...on about talent from outside the country playing for the national team...... Have the AB's ever done this I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

But the NZ websites are saying he was recruited with an eye to becoming eligible. It's a free world so I'm not denying his right to do what he wants but it seems the IRFU must have been party to it? I mean if all the names you list above are future Irish internationals why chase Aki?

Connacht need centres with griffin leaving, Tonetti retiring, McSharry incredibly injury prone and their relative lack of options at 15 meaning Henshaw might be needed there.

I don't think the IRFU were scouring the globe for a project centre, but rather Connacht used whatever contacts they have at the Chiefs (remember they somehow signed Clarke without any incentive or possibility of him qualifying for Ireland) to get Aki and the IRFU came in on the back of that looking into the possibility of him one day becoming IQ, not that they could make any promises obviously so their role was probably limited anyway.

If the IRFU were looking around the world for NIQ potential projects id have thought there were higher priorities than centre (or specifically, 12).

Hagz wrote: »
    It's a question that could lead to a few ugly pages.

What do you do when you're lacking in a certain position? Do you stick it out and wait for the talent to emerge, at the expense of being more competitive? Or do you plug the hole with someone overseas until the talent emerges. The answer is the latter, and I guess the logic is that they might as well be project players because if the talent doesn't end up emerging, the guy who's plugged the hole will be able to play.

I can't say I'm totally on board with the idea of Aki playing for Ireland, but then again I might feel differently after he's done his 3 years. I'm happy to see Strauss and Payne play in green.

But how many players would you be happy with? A couple of Saffies, 3 or 4 Kiwis, an Aussie for good measure? Would you be happy if the reverse occurred? A few Leinster players head off to wales and in 3 years pull on the red jersey? Guys who went to black rock or belvedere or wherever, Irish like.

I'm not having a pop, but this made me laugh.....a kiwi...on about talent from outside the country playing for the national team...... Have the AB's ever done this I wonder

No.

You'll find that's a myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Such an awful performance . A game we should have won easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

But how many players would you be happy with? A couple of Saffies, 3 or 4 Kiwis, an Aussie for good measure? Would you be happy if the reverse occurred? A few Leinster players head off to wales and in 3 years pull on the red jersey? Guys who went to black rock or belvedere or wherever, Irish like.

I think any more than 2 on a team-sheet wouldn't sit too well with me. I wouldn't be totally against the idea of a limit being imposed on the national 23.

No I'd be pretty irked if the reverse occurred.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The IRFU has gotten ackward about renewing contracts of niqs. I don't think we will see another howlett who stays with a province for five years. This means that the provinces when they have a medium term issue look for projects. Look at Connacht, of their current five niqs white, poolman, heenan will all qualify for Ireland. Ah You, Wilkinson (now retired), fafita and Nikora already have. Connacht signed him instead of someone with similar ability and a pair of caps because he can become iq and stay with them for more than 2/3 years if he likes it here.

The IRFU approve all foreign player contracts so they were of course aparty to the signing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Very few project player signings will go on to be a fixture in Irish sides though a few will inevitably pick up a caps. Guys like Payne and Strauss are few and far between and neither of those are fixtures in the side yet. I wouldnt pay much attention to what the NZ websites are saying as regards signed with a view to playing for Ireland, I'd say their just seeing this guy being signed as a "project player" and coming up with their own conclusions, adds an interesting spin to the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Do you want Irish players playing for Ireland or Kiwis playing for Irleand?

Yes and no respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Most of the island boys who play or have played for the ABs are products of the New Zealand system, having moved there as children or young teens.

Swiwi is also a very good poster around these parts and all his post was doing was making some pretty interesting discussion. Pretty harsh to throw this kind of stuff in his face.

Teferi wrote: »
    Most of the island boys who play or have played for the ABs are products of the New Zealand system, having moved there as children or young teens.

Swiwi is also a very good poster around these parts and all his post was doing was making some pretty interesting discussion. Pretty harsh to throw this kind of stuff in his face.

I'm quite sure he isn't crying into his beer tonight because of what I said.

It's still a myth!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I'm sure he isn't. Still a silly post.

Teferi wrote: »
    I'm sure he isn't. Still a silly post.

Ok, let's put it this way. First world cup, how many islanders played for the AB'S?
    You look at the comments of some islanders about the AB'S taking their talented players & not letting them play for their homelands, it irks them a lot. Like an Irishman going to England to play footie & ending up playing for their national team.
    If an islander can go to NZ & ply his trade, be selected for the AB'S & you accept it. Why can't an islander come here, only his trade & be selected for our national squad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Ok, let's put it this way. First world cup, how many islanders played for the AB'S?
    You look at the comments of some islanders about the AB'S taking their talented players & not letting them play for their homelands, it irks them a lot. Like an Irishman going to England to play footie & ending up playing for their national team.
    If an islander can go to NZ & ply his trade, be selected for the AB'S & you accept it. Why can't an islander come here, only his trade & be selected for our national squad

But it's a load of bull****. More Islanders are actually produced by New Zealand that end up playing for the P.I.'s e.g. Fotuali'i, Williams etc. Most islanders don't move to NZ for rugby by for economic reasons with their family. Auckland is the city with the largest P.I. population in the world. Most move under the age of 6 where if NZ are scouting them that early than they probably deserve to have them. The only contentious one going back over the last 20 years are so is Siviatu who moved at 15.

FB 15 John Gallagher
    RW 14 John Kirwan
    OC 13 Joe Stanley
    IC 12 Warwick Taylor
    LW 11 Craig Green
    FH 10 Grant Fox
    SH 9 David Kirk (c)
    N8 8 Wayne Shelford
    BF 7 Michael Jones
    OF 6 Alan Whetton
    RL 5 Gary Whetton
    LL 4 Murray Pierce
    TP 3 John Drake
    HK 2 Sean Fitzpatrick
    LP 1 Steve McDowell
    Coach:
    New Zealand Brian Lochore

Um that would be zero. Michael Jones has Samoan heritage but was born in Auckland. You know, NZ's largest city?

Get yourself an education Molestor Stallone, and don't rely on sterotyped bigotry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Because 99% of so called islander abs were guess what born in new zealand. The rest moved to new zealand as children and later became rugby players.

More new zealand born people played for Samoa, in the last rwc than samoan born players who played for new Zealand in the professional era.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement