Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL GEM 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dublindoctor

GEM2015 wrote: »
    dublindoctor thank you very much for your reply.

I was just wondering are you currently studying GEM in UL? Just wondering how you know that people with a 53 got offered round 0 places? Is that from talking to classmates??

I am doing my best to come to terms with a year out and having money in my pocket but the financial issue isn't a huge concern for me. I plan to live at home for the course and I have a guarantor lined up for my loan. The issue of being a year older is more of a concern for me.

very few people go straight into it from college, most people take a year out or have already worked for a few years but, you'll be qualified quicker by going straight through!

Yeah I am a UL student so that's how i know several people got in on 53, I think it was 53* for us tho, so not all 53 got in on round 0, but all did by round 1, 2 etc!

I thought Ulster bank did the UL med loan, didn't realise they needed a guarantor?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ballet17

Hi GEM yes a friend of mine got offered UL in round zero last year on 53, and I think many others on boards did too. On the UL website it says the official cut off was 54.. But very best of luck of luck with it!

Hi dublindoctor do you mind if I ask if you received the Ulster bank loan? Was it just credit scoring that determined being successful and they don't need a guarantor? Just wondering, Thanks :)

Ballet17 wrote: »
    Hi GEM yes a friend of mine got offered UL in round zero last year on 53, and I think many others on boards did too. On the UL website it says the official cut off was 54.. But very best of luck of luck with it!

Hi dublindoctor do you mind if I ask if you received the Ulster bank loan? Was it just credit scoring that determined being successful and they don't need a guarantor? Just wondering, Thanks :)

I think they way they do it is 54 is the cut off...Then after CAO assign people to their respective 1,2,3,4 choices, then any extra places not filled are given on random selection to people on 53....offers can also be given as late as october!

Yeah I have the ulster bank loan, I don't now to be honest, the person I dealt with was terrible being honest, didn't give me the repayment scale, % interest, nothing...I didn't need a guarantoir and I don't think I had to do anything except open an account with them, they were very laid back about it. I think it might be switching to bank of ireland now tho as the ulster bank on campus in UL that dealt with the loan is now being changed to a bank of ireland...im unsure about the effect of this on the loan though! have you had trouble getting it?

I think they way they do it is 54 is the cut off...Then after CAO assign people to their respective 1,2,3,4 choices, then any extra places not filled are given on random selection to people on 53....offers can also be given as late as october!

Yeah I have the ulster bank loan, I don't now to be honest, the person I dealt with was terrible being honest, didn't give me the repayment scale, % interest, nothing...I didn't need a guarantoir and I don't think I had to do anything except open an account with them, they were very laid back about it. I think it might be switching to bank of ireland now tho as the ulster bank on campus in UL that dealt with the loan is now being changed to a bank of ireland...im unsure about the effect of this on the loan though! have you had trouble getting it?

Thanks for your help! I'm hoping to start in Sept (fingers and toes crossed!) and UL is my first choice, so I haven't the loan secured or anything yet because it states you need to have accepted a place first... Yeah I only stumbled upon that fact, about the banks changing yesterday! There's nothing about it on their website and it still says to direct queries to Ulster Bank. I emailed UL anyway so we'll see what they say. Thanks again for answering and for your help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 andy721986

I'm a UL student who got in last year in the first round offers with a gamsat score of 53. Not everyone with 53 got it in the first round but they were all offered it in the second round offers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 GEM2015

andy721986 wrote: »
    I'm a UL student who got in last year in the first round offers with a gamsat score of 53. Not everyone with 53 got it in the first round but they were all offered it in the second round offers.

Do you mean round 0 or first round offers as a matter of interest? Round 0 being the 31st July last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭goldencrisp62

stay well away from UL gem course lads, or at least do your homework beforehand. mickey mouse course.

It's a lot people's only option goldencrisp62, gamsat score, living situation, personal choice or otherwise. So we'll deal with it, research done and all. And I know many that have done the course, enjoyed it, and are successful doctors now.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Durf

stay well away from UL gem course lads, or at least do your homework beforehand. mickey mouse course.

Same yard stick for all GEM institutions....

http://www.medicalcouncil.ie/Education/Career-Stage-Graduate-Entry/Quality-Assurance/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 andy721986

GEM2015 wrote: »
    Do you mean round 0 or first round offers as a matter of interest? Round 0 being the 31st July last year.

Yes - I got in round zero with a score of 53. It was random selection and then everyone on 53 was offered a place in later rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭goldencrisp62

Durf wrote: »

Not the same course material delivered to you in each college. Some colleges don't deliver anything to you, leaving you to do everything yourself....

Guys does anyone know if it's Ulster Bank that are running the UL tailored loan for graduate medicine for this current year? I've emailed both UL and Ulster Bank but have received no response. With the offers a week away I'm starting to panic a little! Any info would be brilliant, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭RainBow_xo

Guys does anyone know if it's Ulster Bank that are running the UL tailored loan for graduate medicine for this current year? I've emailed both UL and Ulster Bank but have received no response. With the offers a week away I'm starting to panic a little! Any info would be brilliant, thanks!

Maybe call the UL Ulster bank branch or head down to them. There are some people who do not know about the loan and also from what I rem last year, they did not speak to people until you had confirmed your offer.

RainBow_xo wrote: »
    Maybe call the UL Ulster bank branch or head down to them. There are some people who do not know about the loan and also from what I rem last year, they did not speak to people until you had confirmed your offer.

Thanks for your response Rainbow_xo I really appreciate it. I knew there wasn't much one could do until you had an offer and accepted it but I'd heard that the loan was being taken over by another bank and just wondering if if it was true or not (apparently it's still Ulster bank anyway :) ) thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭RainBow_xo

Thanks for your response Rainbow_xo I really appreciate it. I knew there wasn't much one could do until you had an offer and accepted it but I'd heard that the loan was being taken over by another bank and just wondering if if it was true or not (apparently it's still Ulster bank anyway :) ) thanks again!

Oh lols!! My bad, I have no idea!

RainBow_xo wrote: »
    Oh lols!! My bad, I have no idea!

No worries at all! I mightn't have been very clear :) Thanks for replying though all the same, I appreciate it!

No worries at all! I mightn't have been very clear :) Thanks for replying though all the same, I appreciate it!

You don't need to get the loan straight away, you can go through all of first year without actually paying the fees so I wouldn't worry about it, there is plenty of time for the loan application once you accept your place and start etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 GEM2015

andy721986 wrote: »
    Yes - I got in round zero with a score of 53. It was random selection and then everyone on 53 was offered a place in later rounds.

Do you mean every single person with a 53?

Hi all, thanks for all the help and info so far it's been brilliant. Not sure if anyone will be able to answer this but said I'd ask anyway :) I've applied for the scholarship at UL, no idea what the outcome will be but is it possible to delay applying for the loan until I hear the result of this? Or should I just get the ball rolling and apply anyway.. Is there a time period when you should be applying for the (tailored gem fees) loan or can you do it anytime? Sorry if any of these questions sound silly, not really sure how it all works, thanks :)

Hi all, thanks for all the help and info so far it's been brilliant. Not sure if anyone will be able to answer this but said I'd ask anyway :) I've applied for the scholarship at UL, no idea what the outcome will be but is it possible to delay applying for the loan until I hear the result of this? Or should I just get the ball rolling and apply anyway.. Is there a time period when you should be applying for the (tailored gem fees) loan or can you do it anytime? Sorry if any of these questions sound silly, not really sure how it all works, thanks :)

Several people accepted the course with the hopes of getting the scholarship without the loan, and some were successful in doing that!

you can take out the loan whenever you want, even if you need the loan from 2-4th year year for example, you can start the 3 year loan in 2nd year! The people dealing with the loan are generally very approachable as they deal alot with students so if you have queries it might be best to give them a call as you can get mixed info/opinions on here based on different peoples experiences! The banks generally are happy to give anyone money at any time, college dates don't matter a huge pile to them!

• Advertisement

Several people accepted the course with the hopes of getting the scholarship without the loan, and some were successful in doing that!

you can take out the loan whenever you want, even if you need the loan from 2-4th year year for example, you can start the 3 year loan in 2nd year! The people dealing with the loan are generally very approachable as they deal alot with students so if you have queries it might be best to give them a call as you can get mixed info/opinions on here based on different peoples experiences! The banks generally are happy to give anyone money at any time, college dates don't matter a huge pile to them!

Thanks so much Dublindoctor for all the information, I really appreciate it! Yeah I might do that and give them a call. All of this is good to know though, thanks again! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭AndrewTheCat

Over 50 students failed the first year summer exams, please be careful guys and make sure you know what you are getting yourself in for.

Over 50 students failed the first year summer exams, please be careful guys and make sure you know what you are getting yourself in for.

in UL?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭supraspinaswim

Not sure where you got the 50 people failed figure, since Im in 2nd yr in UL and no where near as many people failed. All did the repeats and apparently passed with success.

That to me is someone who hasnt got a clue of UL and is trying to denigrate it with crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tommy_flag

Jebus bricking it now. The courses seems a bit scant on lecture material. 50 people possibly failed last year? I study basically 5 hours a day minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭supraspinaswim

tommy_flag wrote: »
    Jebus bricking it now. The courses seems a bit scant on lecture material. 50 people possibly failed last year? I study basically 5 hours a day minimum.

Read what I said above, there was not 50 people who failed the year for 2014-2015. Its bull. Im a second year in GEMS.

As for lecture material, either take the lecture approach like UCD and do a 9-5 monday to friday or do the self directed learning with UL. Its a tough slog but not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vladcount

Tell us guys, did any one hear of anyone getting in on 49/50 Gamsat score ? thanks to scholarship or less people applying.
    i believe not a lot of people applied this yr talking toa friend of mine who is a invigilator for last yrs gamsat exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 greentoast

vladcount wrote: »
    Tell us guys, did any one hear of anyone getting in on 49/50 Gamsat score ? thanks to scholarship or less people applying.
    i believe not a lot of people applied this yr talking toa friend of mine who is a invigilator for last yrs gamsat exam.

No, from what I gather 53 was the lowest score, because not everyone who scored 53 ended up getting in. But GEMS tends to increase their classes each year and if overall there are less applicants...you never know...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FutureMedicA

Hi does anyone know if Limerick use both the average score of the three sections of the Gamsat, as well as the official Gamsat score, when giving out places?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 tom2016

Hi, FutureMedicA
    As far as I know all courses in Ireland choose their applicants by the gamsat score solely, and do not break down individual sections.

Advertisement