Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL GEM 2014

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Esophagus

Hi does anyone know if Limerick use both the average score of the three sections of the Gamsat, as well as the official Gamsat score, when giving out places?
    No, they only go by the official Gamsat score. The 2 UK unis that also use the 'alternative method' are phasing that practice out.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭eagle_&_bear

UL GEMS- Limerick Graduate Medicine

Total intake is 160- of which 90 are Canadian, and remainder are Irish/European

Currently the present year are down to 143

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭RainBow_xo

Did you mean for it to be the other way around? There are not 90 North American students.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

So 17 dropped out. Very high attrition rate which confirms the rumours we have heard about this course over the years. Brutal programme with difficult administration and non existent teaching in the basic sciences. Medicine by breadcrumbs is how I heard it described. The problem is the lower gamsat scores means anyone who swings a boot at the test can get in but they may not have the capabilities to complete the programme

RainBow_xo wrote: »
    Did you mean for it to be the other way around? There are not 90 North American students.....

In the present year if there's not 90-there's not far off it!!!!

• Advertisement

So 17 dropped out. Very high attrition rate which confirms the rumours we have heard about this course over the years. Brutal programme with difficult administration and non existent teaching in the basic sciences. Medicine by breadcrumbs is how I heard it described. The problem is the lower gamsat scores means anyone who swings a boot at the test can get in but they may not have the capabilities to complete the programme

Your criticism isn't well founded. The administration is fairly top notch, and the teaching hours have been increased year on year. There are tons of lectures per week in a rake of topics linked to the "case of the week" but the real issue is they aren't mandatory and are, very poorly attended.

The gamsat standard has raised in the past 2years and a change in the exam-gone are the normal expected questions, instead much more extrapolated questions.

Any for some who dropped out the course just wasn't for them, some had family issues and some dropped out because the bank maðe getting the loan extremely difficult this year. A good few were outright refused the loan (it's NOT automatic or guaranteed just because you get a college offer) and some people left because they were refused after review.

In the round, UL grads, when in intern year are streets ahead of other college because of the teaching method and having to present every day in class

It's definitely the case that Medicine is not for everyone- I think this is true for every college

tom2016 wrote: »
    Hi, FutureMedicA
    As far as I know all courses in Ireland choose their applicants by the gamsat score solely, and do not break down individual sections.

This is correct. Gamsat is the sole discerning exam for eligibility of a college offer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

My understanding is usmle scores have been very poor at step 1 level coming from UL, so much so that US students arent entitled to government loans to study at the college. If the average step 1 score is too low the us government will not provide loans to students to attend. The problem there I imagine is over confident students who apply and try to swing a boot at the exam like they did for the gamsat and hope they will get a decent score and then instead they fail.

What are the microbiology and biochemistry curriculums like? My understand is they were almost non-existent the last number of years, that students were able to state there was gram negative and gram positive organisms but not much else beyond that.

My understanding is usmle scores have been very poor at step 1 level coming from UL, so much so that US students arent entitled to government loans to study at the college. If the average step 1 score is too low the us government will not provide loans to students to attend. The problem there I imagine is over confident students who apply and try to swing a boot at the exam like they did for the gamsat and hope they will get a decent score and then instead they fail.

What are the microbiology and biochemistry curriculums like? My understand is they were almost non-existent the last number of years, that students were able to state there was gram negative and gram positive organisms but not much else beyond that.

Micro is quite good this year so far, it pops up every week

Biochem for 1st years is really only starting on that our cases of the week have been lobar pneumonia, but we understand the rest of resp
    Is majorly explored in semester 2, as for biochem on its own- it's been reviewed in physiology lectures by Prof O'Connor in his 12 recorded lecturers which are very poorly attended by students and as such, is not learned either properly, or at all, by some students so it's a little hard to blame a college for what is really a student failing.

As for USMLE that's really reserved for end of
    2nd year so it's something I know little about but from the 3rd years- a good portion achieved decent scores (I can't quantify that further without speaking to people in better details) but the usmle exam is extremely tough, I don't think the results are wonderful anywhere in this country. But a decent amount get grades needed for placement.

I can investigate this more, but as usmle is totally seperate from any college, I don't think it's right to blame a college if a student fails an exam which has nothing to do with the college

IMO

Advertisement