Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

WikiHow wrote: »
    People think they can live forever, my opinion is you can't take it with you so you may as well enjoy it while you can.

True, but if you're a little bit more careful with it you'll have more left over to enjoy on what you want!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭dmc17

You got a problem with the stingy people thread?

Don't be so tight with the threads. They're not costing you anything to host :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

True, but if you're a little bit more careful with it you'll have more left over to enjoy on what you want!!

Im sorry but that post is nonsencical.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,667 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I have a friend who hides in the toilets during the pub raffle collection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭geckovision

pablo128 wrote: »
    Stupid is paying for a medium Coke, only to find it's half Coke and half frozen water.
    And how long would you have to leave it sitting there for it to warm up? This is Ireland, not feckin Spain.

Stupid is paying for a medium coke expecting no ice to be served with it.

So I pay for a large with ice, because like most people I like a cold drink to be served ice cold.. I'm not worried about it warming up. It just tastes nicer when it's 'that' cold.

If you're that bothered by the price difference between a medium and large drink I suggest you put it in your piggy bank for a rainy day.

• Advertisement

maxfresh wrote: »
    I ask for no ice aswell, the drink is chilled from the machine its too cold with ice and you get more.

Ice cold all the way! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Well I personally just don't like half my drink being made up of ice; it's not even a value thing, there's just no need for that much ice.
    All it says is if you make savings towards your electricity bills and the like, you'll have a bit extra to spend on the more enjoyable things due to lower electricity bills. Makes perfect sense surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

We already had the ice debate in the stingy people thread. . . . . .

I'm on Team No Ice, sorry Gecko.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

How is it? You save on electricity and use the money saved to go on a holiday ;)

My sodie is too cold my teef hurt!

http://i56.tinypic.com/2ldhfev.jpg

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    specialun, you should talk to ivabigwun

If Ivabigwun and Specialun had kids, they could call them Littlesivaspecialbigun's. That'd be cute.

maguic24 wrote: »
    We already had the ice debate in the stingy people thread. . . . . .

I'm on Team No Ice, sorry Gecko.
    My sodie is too cold my teef hurt!

http://i56.tinypic.com/2ldhfev.jpg

I guess I'll post in that 'outrage' thread about my outrage on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'm so stingy I merged these threads to save space.

All it says is if you make savings towards your electricity bills and the like, you'll have a bit extra to spend on the more enjoyable things due to lower electricity bills. Makes perfect sense surely.
    Sam Kade wrote: »
    How is it? You save on electricity and use the money saved to go on a holiday ;)

That is all well and good if that person has a day/night meter, i have had this conversation with several people who used avoid using their appliance during the day as they thought it was cheaper by night, took one look at their meter and it was a single tariff meter.
    People that think they are saving a fortune with this theory are living in imagination land.

Do explain why you think its nonsencical...?

I'd prefer to have a few quid left over at the end of the year to go towards a holiday, xmas present's etc than wasting money on unnecessarily expensive electricity bills and the likes. But each to their own I suppose...

Do explain why you think its nonsencical...?

I'd prefer to have a few quid left over at the end of the year to go towards a holiday, xmas present's etc than wasting money on unnecessarily expensive electricity bills and the likes. But each to their own I suppose...

How much per annum do you think you will save by measuring out water before boiling it in the kettle?

That is all well and good if that person has a day/night meter, i have had this conversation with several people who used avoid using their appliance during the day as they thought it was cheaper by night, took one look at their meter and it was a single tariff meter.
    People that think they are saving a fortune with this theory are living in imagination land.

We're not talking about day/night meters, just simply not filling up the kettle to the top to make one cup of tea? Its pretty basic stuff really??

How much per annum do you think you will save by measuring out water before boiling it in the kettle?

I don't 'measure' out water for the kettle, I estimate how much water to fill it with from the tap when I'm making a cup of tea, when you make plenty of cups of tea you get fairly accurate with how much water to use and the same with other electricity usage with other applicances, light's etc, it all adds up over the month, and over the year in total.

Yeh I know the electricity is only cheaper at night for people with day/night meters (and more expensive during the day) but I wasn't referring to that, just to cutting costs in general (without being ridiculously tight obviously; just sensible, practical frugality).

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭QuantumP

The man who is worth an estimated £40,000,000 and refuses to fork out £0.20 to use a public toilet. Come on Micky, live a little! https://twitter.com/themichaelowen/status/429644669233135616

• Advertisement

I don't 'measure' out water for the kettle, I estimate how much water to fill it with from the tap when I'm making a cup of tea, when you make plenty of cups of tea you get fairly accurate with how much water to use and the same with other electricity usage with other applicances, light's etc, it all adds up over the month, and over the year in total.

Can you estimate how much you are saving on electricity per annum?

Can you estimate how much you are saving on electricity per annum?

Generally about €5k on average, I have a severe tea addiction.

Thanks for that feedback.

If life's that tight that you need to sweat stuff like that, you're doing it wrong, simple as. Have a look around, look at a few "Homes and Gardens" type magazines, with the ones that have €10k tables in their €500k dining rooms. Is measuring the water gonna make that leap? Do they sweat the water level? I know I have bugger all idea what the esb bill is, and I don't want to know either, it's irrelevant. That's just sweating the wrong side. Start sweating the "bring in more" side as hard as you sweated the "don't for f. sake spend any" side. Life gets more interesting.

I don't 'sweat' any water levels, simply being careful with my outgoings and ambitious with my incoming's mean's that life isn't tight and no 'sweating' is needed, but thanks for the concern anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Ah gwan you'll have another cup.

Thanks for that feedback.

You're welcome. Have a nice Saturday night.

Ah gwan you'll have another cup.

Cups?? I'm gone way past that stage these days, I'm currently mainlining it.

For people who are really concerned about boiling water for tea/coffee/hot poitin etc fill water from the tap into a bottle and let it come to room temperature before using it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Trebor Gluck

CAN people STOP the GIBBERISH about BOILING water AND stick WITH the STINGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

For people who are really concerned about boiling water for tea/coffee/hot poitin etc fill water from the tap into a bottle and let it come to room temperature before using it.

I think just eyeballing a cup's worth into the kettle straight from the kitchen sink tap would be easier and less hassle

Advertisement