Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A.A(Alcoholics Anonymous) meetings religious?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

marienbad wrote: »
    You have has shown no evidence for such a contention , so your ad hominem applies more to yourself than anyone .

Just repeating it does not give it more weight.

I think it might be best if Nozzferrahhtoo goes to a few open meetings and waits until the end and asks a few questions.

AA and other 12 step programmes work for those who are at rock bottom and really want to get well.

The 12 steps are ego deflationary. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭roosh

Again: The question on the thread is whether AA is religious. AA is a 12 step program. The 12 steps are religious. Therefore AA is by definition religious. If you want to hide from that and disown it because the religious overtures embarrass you then by all means do so. But your retreat does not edit reality in any way. Nor will constant repetition of your "superficial understanding" mantra in your desperate attempt to act like inventing labels and sticking them on will make a point for you where you have otherwise failed to.
    The twelve steps were, as discussed, adapted from the steps of the oxford groups, their final formulation was done in consultation with the original members of a couple of different groups. Among the members of those groups were people who did not believe in the conceptualisation of the monotheistic God, you argue, the 12-steps proscribes. Those members appeared to vehemently oppose the use of the word "God" in the AA book and the phrase "as we understood him" - as well as higher power, and power greater than ourselves" - were inserted as a compromoise. The term "God" is still overwhelmingly used in the book, but that qualification is essential. As Bill Wilson himself later admits in an article for another AA publication, "the grapevine".
    The phrase "God As We Understand Him" is perhaps the most important expression to be found in our whole AA vocabulary. Within the compass of these five significant words there can be included every kind and degree of faith, together with the positive assurance that each of us may choose his own.
    grapevine

So, again, the 12-step program is as religious as each individual member chooses. Even if some of the more prominent, original members were more overtly religious, there were those who were not interested in the whole "god business", and they were accommodated in the 12-steps.

They are not just compatible with it. They drip with the very definitions of it. That is a massive difference. Merely describing them as "compatible" is a desperate and crass attempt to dilute the point I am actually making to make it more palatable with your denial of the religious overtones permeating the 12 steps.

Can others make the 12 steps "compatible" with a non religious world view? Of course, but not because of the lability in the steps. But through simply ignoring those aspects of the steps. And wantoning ignoring swaths of it to make it compatible makes a mockery of calling it "compatible" in the first place. You can get a square peg to be compatible with a triangle hole indeed. All you have to do is get a hack saw and chop off the corners that displease you. But changing the peg entirely is not _really_ making a square peg fit a triangle hole.

So your desperation to act like these things are "compatible" is simply laid bare by your simply dismissing the bits that make it incompatible. By such a methodology any world view at all can be made "compatible" with any other. You could make nazism compatible with free democracy by that tactic too.
    They seem to drip with the very definitions of it bcos of your understanding of the concept of God, but not everyone needs to share your conceptualisation of what the term "God" means. Many people may indeed share your understanding of the concept and to those the 12-steps will undoubtedly seem as religious as you believe them to be, but if you question that conceptualisation of God, indeed, if you look at other conceptualisations of God, you might see that many spiritual - as opposed to religious - traditions appear to have a more pantheistic interpretation.

Again, it is entirely down to each individuals own understanding of what the concept of "God" means. A pantheistic interpretation might hold that what was originally meant by the term "God" was nothing more than the universe, with all of it's natural laws, where humans have evolved to our current state and where the practices of the 12-steps - more than just the support group and social outlet (self-investigation, making amends, meditation, helping others, etc.) have a transformative effect on the minds of everyone, not just addicts.

Nor did I once suggest it was, so I am not sure what your point is or even sure you know what your point is any more. Suggesting that an organisation be subject to research... as I have done numerous times.... is not to suggest that said organisation is itself a research one.

The point once again is easy to grasp and I have no idea why it puts the zealots in such a tizzy. If an organisation is claiming to assist others then we should measure the efficacy and truth of their claims. Simple as that. Why is this an issue?
    This isn't an issue, indeed, I think everyone has agreed on this particular iteration of the point. The issue was the suggestion that AA should be the organisation to conduct such research, despite the fact that it is not an organisation of professionals that would necessarily have the capacity for such research.

Again, to re-iterate, no one has suggested that we shouldn't conduct more research into addiction, in fact, I think everyone has agreed on this point.

No this is words in my mouth once again, your usual modus operandi. I did not claim the above. I said the above things are useful. I never said they were all that is required. Ever.

I merely acknowledge that having a support group and an outlet are likely useful things when overcoming any addiction. I have never doubted that or challanged it.
    You said that "the key to giving up alcohol" was to find something to fill the time left when one stops drinking and that, for some, this was the social support group of AA, for others it was taking up a hobby or a trade, among other things.

On the other hand you say that there isn't a jot of evidence to suggest that AA helps anyone. I'm guessing, from the nature and tone of your posts, that you are not simply highlighting the lack of research into addiction in general and the 12-steps in particular. The point you appear to be making is that AA doesn't help anyone.

So, either something that AA offers is the key to giving up alcohol or there isn't a shred of a jot of evidence that AA helps anyone.

If, however, you are just making the point that more research is necessary, then, as mentioned, you will find no arguments from anyone.

Further, your previous points, about "filling the void" by taking up a hobby, completely ignore the fact that there are those who are already engaged in the activities you mentioned who are, at the same time, engaged in addictive behaviour. This would suggest that the key to giving up alcohol isn't quite as simple as you would suggest.
    Again misrepresenting my views in your usual fashion. Are you so desperate to find contradictions in my opinions that you are happy to edit my opinions in order to manufacture one?
    Not at all, it's just not abundantly clear, from your floundering posts, what some of your points are.
    My point is not that AA does not help anyone. My point is that nothing that specifically makes AA be AA.... OTHER than it being a social support group and an outlet..... appears to help anyone.
    This might come down to what you think AA is, or rather, is supposed to be. AA is, specifically, a support group for alcoholics with a set of steps that are supposed to bring about a transformation in the thinking and behaviour of the addict. It is more than just a social support group, because the steps work on self-investigation, making amends, meditation, prayer (depends on your understanding), and helping others. That is what the 12-step program is.
    If group A offers X and group B offers X and Y.... and I want to question the efficacy of group B specifically.... then I need to focus on Y. What you are doing is focusing on X.
    This just brings us back to your cayenne pepper analogy, and the real "concern" you obviously have.

The Y that is the focus of your concern is, quite clearly, "God". But, as mentioned, this is a God of the individuals understanding.

You are ignoring the practicalities of the steps, again, self-examination, making amends, mediation, prayer (part of the Y), and helping others. These are the practical means through which recovery is supposed to be achieved; the means by which "God" removes the defects of character.

While some people might believe that by doing these things a magic man in the sky will help them give up alcohol others might believe that, because of evolution - something the individual themselves has had no control over - doing these things will bring about a change in thinking and behaviour which will help them to, not only, stop drinking, but also improve their overall outlook on life.
    So please before you ride back into the thread like a knight in rusty armour would you at least consider honestly replying to my actual position and not some fantasy one you have invented because you find it easier to attack? Your posts might be worth replying to then instead of replying to you being a mere exercise in tooth picking your words out of my teeth.
    What is your position?

• AA is religious - again, "as we understood him" is key.
    • There is no evidence of the efficacy of the 12-step program - what has the research investigated? Bear in mind, simple attendance of meetings isn't the same as working through the 12-step program i.e. the 12-step approach is more than just a social support group.
    • Taking up a hobby offers the same as the 12-step approach - there are people who already have hobbies who are addicts; the 12-step approach is more than just a social outlet

I believe that was his point. Not that a hobby is the key to giving up alcohol, but that it can a useful tool to some people for doing so, much like AA.
    So like the user above your choice is to ditch mature adult conversation and misrepresent me by spewing out bile that I never said, never espoused, and never even remotely implied. How nice.

I think you more than remotely implied it.
    But some people find other things to plug the hole with. Things to dedicate their time and money and energies to. For some people it is a social support group like AA. For others it is not however. They might take up a trade, a language, go back to college or training, start playing football.

The key to giving up alcohol is not just to stop drinking in other words, but to find something to fill the gap in ones life that has been left by the removal of alcohol. If you simply sit at home twiddling your thumbs trying not to drink.... then you will most likely fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

You have has shown no evidence for such a contention

Which contention? My point, once again, is that no one here has presented any evidence to show that any specific attribute of AA has benefited anyone. The evidence for that lack is that there is no such thing in the thread. What contention do you think requires substantiation from me therefore?

I am asking a question not making a contention. That question is "Is there any attribute specific to AA, above and beyond it being a simple social support group and outlet, that in any way benefits alcoholics?".

And no one has answered.... nay no one has even attempted to answer... that question in the positive. So again.... what contention do you feel I have made.... and what exactly do you think requires evidence?

Geomy wrote: »
    I think it might be best if Nozzferrahhtoo goes to a few open meetings and waits until the end and asks a few questions.

Do not assume I have not. You do not know me.
    AA and other 12 step programmes work for those who are at rock bottom and really want to get well.

That is the question. DOES it actually help them? How do we know this? And if it does help them does that help have anything to do with anything that makes AA what it is? Does it have anything to do with the 12 steps? Or is that merely your assumption?

Or do people get helped by nothing more than having a social support group? Or do people decide to get well and work on this themselves, and attain it themselves, and attendance of a group like AA is merely incidental to that decision and work?

These are genuine questions but AA zealots simply want to latch on to the correlation error of simply saying "X attended Y. X improved during this period. Therefore Y was what helped".

• Advertisement

roosh wrote: »
    I think you more than remotely implied it.

No. I did not. You merely invented it. The choice now of course is yours to either A) listen to me telling you what my point is or B) continue to misrepresent me by presuming to tell me what my own points are when I clearly know them better than you.

One option is conducive to conversation and makes you look honest. The other does not.

Again I was making a perfectly valid point in the post which you quote. Simple removal of alcohol from the life of an alcoholic without any other changes to the persons life.... is likely doomed to fail. That gap in the persons life has to be filled somehow.

The point I am making, and you can attempt to rebut it if you like as I currently see nothing wrong with it, is that merely addressing alcohol consumption in the life of an alcoholic is rarely solution enough. More often than not alcohol addiction is a symptom of the issues in a persons life, rather than being the issue itself. Addressing the symptom without addressing the cause is often unhelpful and doomed to failure.
    The twelve steps were, as discussed, adapted from the steps of the oxford groups

My point exactly. So not even clear what you are disagreeing with any more. But my point is more focused on what they say today, not their historical etymology. The main topic of the thread is whether AA is religious. The fact is that AA is a 12 step program at its core. And those 12 steps are not subtly, but blatantly religious.

As I said if you can file down the square peg into a circle one to force it through the circle hole, then by all means do so. Wholesale ignore the religious references in the 12 steps in order to make them compatible with non religious people. Go for it. No one is stopping you and I have no issue with that.

But I do take issue with lying to ourselves that this is exactly what we are doing. Pretending that wholesale ignoring attributes of the 12 steps in order to force them into compatibility.... means that they actually _are_ compatible. That is fantasy woo woo land and I am happy to point this out as often as you are happy to call upon me to repeat the point.

It is only by an extreme application of pedantry that we can make your point appear valid and true therefore. But if we apply that then lines like this become so dilute........
    So, again, the 12-step program is as religious as each individual member chooses.

....... that they can apply to just about anything. For example, applying your "rationale" I can just as validly declare "So, again, the Bible is as religious as each individual reader chooses".

And clearly if application of your "rationale" allows us to make statements so comically useless... then clearly there is some issue with the original rationale.

But as I said, by all means continue to ignore what is blatantly there, in order to force compatibility for people who have issue with it actually being there. Fantasy is a powerful thing and you appear keen to apply it.
    On the other hand you say that there isn't a jot of evidence to suggest that AA helps anyone.

There does appear to be a cartel on the thread determined to repeat and repeat this misrepresentation of my views, regardless of how often I correct it or clarify it. I have moved past assuming this is a misunderstanding on your part, and have begun to suspect it is willful, contrived, and intentional.

To repeat it again for anyone who is fooled by the lie you perpetuate here: I have not once said "there isn't a jot of evidence to suggest that AA helps anyone.". I have said, repeatedly, in simple understandable english, that "There isn't a jot of evidence to suggest that anything specific to AA that distibguishes it from any other social support group that helps anyone."

So quit misrepresenting me by dropping the part of the text that differentiates my actual point, from the one you want to invent and shove into my mouth.
    Not at all, it's just not abundantly clear, from your floundering posts, what some of your points are.

The only floundering at work here is by those determined to ignore my points and pretend my points are something they have themselves invented. That is to say: You. You. And.... oh yes... you.

I am however a patient and untrollable character. I am happy to politely and repeatedly request you at some point get around to actually addressing my points in the future, and desist from attacking positions I have never espoused, held, or implied.

In your own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

{...}
    • AA is religious - again, "as we understood him" is key.
      {...}

Believing in a god, with any understanding, is religious by definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

It could also be spirituality by definition. ..

It could also be spirituality by definition. ..

I can find two definitions for spirituality. Belief in a soul or relating to religion or religious belief. I don't think the first one really works for belief in a god.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

''There isn't a jot of evidence to suggest that anything specific to AA that distibguishes it from any other social support group that helps anyone."

What do you mean by this ?

• Advertisement

No. I did not. You merely invented it. The choice now of course is yours to either A) listen to me telling you what my point is or B) continue to misrepresent me by presuming to tell me what my own points are when I clearly know them better than you.

One option is conducive to conversation and makes you look honest. The other does not.

Again I was making a perfectly valid point in the post which you quote. Simple removal of alcohol from the life of an alcoholic without any other changes to the persons life.... is likely doomed to fail. That gap in the persons life has to be filled somehow.

The point I am making, and you can attempt to rebut it if you like as I currently see nothing wrong with it, is that merely addressing alcohol consumption in the life of an alcoholic is rarely solution enough. More often than not alcohol addiction is a symptom of the issues in a persons life, rather than being the issue itself. Addressing the symptom without addressing the cause is often unhelpful and doomed to failure.
    The point you made in the post, as can clearly be seen, was simply that when alcohol is removed there is a void to be filled; the solution you suggested, for filling this void, was "take up a trade, a language, go back to college or training, start playing football".

Indeed, when the point was raised that addiction is just a symptom of the problem you replied, "Often it is yes. But not exclusively...Sometimes Addiction IS the problem. Sometimes as you say Addiction is only the symptom of a problem."

From there, however, your line of discourse centred around knowing people "who have given up their addiction (again mainly alcohol) by joining a football club" as well as the above suggestion that the key to giving up alcohol was to fill the void with such activities as "[taking] up a trade, a language, [going] back to college or training, [starting to play] football".

The point that was raised, by others, with regard to this, was to distinguish between "heavy drinkers" and the "addict", as the AA literature itself does. The implication being that, someone who is a heavy drinker may not necessarily be an addict. And again, there are many who are already engaged in the activities you suggest who are active addicts.

It might also be worth noting that those things you suggest are often activities that people return to after enjoying a period of sobriety, be it through a 12-step program or some other treatment program.

If you would, however, like to return to the idea that alcohol is a symptom of an underlying problem, that might actually make for a fruitful conversation. Indeed, I dare say that every addiction treatment program, be it CBT, the 12-steps, or whatever, would view addiction in that manner, as a symptom of an underlying problem. That underlying problem is usually seen as a psychological one (or spiritual - depending on your understanding of that term) - although some research would suggest genes can play a factor.

The key to abstaining from alcohol is then about bringing about a change in the thinking and behaviour of the addict. Which CBT seeks to do, as does the 12-step approach - again, there is more to the 12-step approach than just a social support group function.
    My point exactly. So not even clear what you are disagreeing with any more. But my point is more focused on what they say today, not their historical etymology. The main topic of the thread is whether AA is religious. The fact is that AA is a 12 step program at its core. And those 12 steps are not subtly, but blatantly religious.

As I said if you can file down the square peg into a circle one to force it through the circle hole, then by all means do so. Wholesale ignore the religious references in the 12 steps in order to make them compatible with non religious people. Go for it. No one is stopping you and I have no issue with that.

But I do take issue with lying to ourselves that this is exactly what we are doing. Pretending that wholesale ignoring attributes of the 12 steps in order to force them into compatibility.... means that they actually _are_ compatible. That is fantasy woo woo land and I am happy to point this out as often as you are happy to call upon me to repeat the point.

It is only by an extreme application of pedantry that we can make your point appear valid and true therefore. But if we apply that then lines like this become so dilute........
    That the 12-steps are adapted from the Oxford group steps doesn't make them religious. As has been mentioned, the steps were written after consultation with the members of the initial AA groups, some of whom were vehemently opposed to how much God was mentioned in the book as well as the steps. For this reason the compromise was reached to include the terms "higher power", "power greater than ourselves", and "as we understood him". This was because those members were not religious and did not have the same ideas about God as some of the other members.

As the quote from Bill Wilson above demonstrates, "as we understood him" is essential to the interpretation of the concept of "God". Every member is free to develop their own interpretation. Some might interpret it in the context of monotheistic religions but this isn't a necessity. A perfectly naturalist, pantheistic interpretation, that requires no religion whatsoever is perfectly compatible, without the need for filing down.

If you can tell which part of the pantheistic interpretation requires filing down, then I might be able to highlight why this is incorrect.
    ....... that they can apply to just about anything. For example, applying your "rationale" I can just as validly declare "So, again, the Bible is as religious as each individual reader chooses".

And clearly if application of your "rationale" allows us to make statements so comically useless... then clearly there is some issue with the original rationale.

But as I said, by all means continue to ignore what is blatantly there, in order to force compatibility for people who have issue with it actually being there. Fantasy is a powerful thing and you appear keen to apply it.
    If there were a passage in the beginning of the Bible that said, "this book, as you choose to understand it..." then it would be as religious as each individual reader chooses, but I am not familiar with any such passages.

If such a passage did exist and a huge number of people chose to interpret it and create a religion around it, but others chose not to, then the book itself would not necessarily be religious, rather some people chose to interpret it religiously.

The practice of meditation might be a good comparison here. Some people might see it as a religious practice, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is. Indeed, it is the quintessential spiritual practice. Again, a persons interpretation of the concept of spirituality is critical here. If one looks at such practices one can see that they are concerned with the transformation of the mind, and of thinking. Is that religious? Not necessarily.

The 12-steps are equally focused with such a transformation. The cause of that transformation is viewed differently by different people. Some might attribute it to a magic man in the sky - after doing the practical steps of personal reflection, making amends, meditation, helping others, etc. while others might see it as being attributable to how the human mind has evolved. The latter is certainly not religious, I'm sure you would agree.

Indeed, what is comically useless in all of this is the unqualified term "religion". If it is seen as anything that simply uses the term "God", then that would make the pantheistic interpretation, which sees the natural universe as God, where evolution, thermodynamics, relativity, quantum mechanics, etc. are the natural laws, religious.

There does appear to be a cartel on the thread determined to repeat and repeat this misrepresentation of my views, regardless of how often I correct it or clarify it. I have moved past assuming this is a misunderstanding on your part, and have begun to suspect it is willful, contrived, and intentional.

To repeat it again for anyone who is fooled by the lie you perpetuate here: I have not once said "there isn't a jot of evidence to suggest that AA helps anyone.". I have said, repeatedly, in simple understandable english, that "There isn't a jot of evidence to suggest that anything specific to AA that distibguishes it from any other social support group that helps anyone."

So quit misrepresenting me by dropping the part of the text that differentiates my actual point, from the one you want to invent and shove into my mouth.
    Again, the issue lies in your category error; in what you think the 12-step approach is supposed to be, as opposed to what it is.

The 12-step approach offers the social support function, as well as other practical steps aimed at achieving sobriety and recovery. It is nothing more than that, and doesn't claim to be anything different. It doesn't claim to have invented personal reflection, making amends, helping others, mediation, etc. it simply suggests that if these are done then sobriety can be achieved and maintained. If these are successful with other programs then they are successful with the 12-step approach.

The issue again, comes back to your cayenne pepper analogy. Does AA suggest something that is not necessarily helpful to recovery but get attributed the success because of the other key elements? Again, the issue lies in the term "God", but as has been repeatedly clarified, it is a God of the understanding of each individual - which can be a pantheistic, natural interpretation.

There is a point which you have continued to ignore, which I will raise again here; that is to do with the point of best practices for addiction treatment. What are the current best practices for addiction treatment and how does the 12-step approach deviate from them?

The only floundering at work here is by those determined to ignore my points and pretend my points are something they have themselves invented. That is to say: You. You. And.... oh yes... you.

I am however a patient and untrollable character. I am happy to politely and repeatedly request you at some point get around to actually addressing my points in the future, and desist from attacking positions I have never espoused, held, or implied.

In your own time.
    No one has ignored your points, least of all me. You floundering has made them, at times, difficult to pin down, as has your willful ignorance of certain key points that have been raised.

However, I too am patient and will continue to highlight the issues as I see them.

The dictionary isn't necessarily the best source when it comes to defining such terms. Indeed, religions such as buddhism would eschew getting to attached to concepts in the first place because that can prove problematic. Buddhism also is a religion that doesn't have the concept of God.

A pantheistic interpretation would see God as the natural universe. Some, including myself, would argue that the original spiritual traditions, from whence religion has [d]evolved, were actually pantheistic in nature. In such an interpretation, the natural universe is God and the natural laws are what govern it.

The human mind has evolved in such a way that psychological and emotional attachment to concepts is the norm, and affects how we view the world. Modern psychology would support this. Spiritual practices, such as meditation, as opposed to religious - which are more dogmatic and ritualistic in nature - aim to reduce or even break this attachment.

There is no magic man in this interpretation, there is only the natural universe, but there is still "God", and no religion is necessary.

The dictionary isn't necessarily the best source when it comes to defining such terms. Indeed, religions such as buddhism would eschew getting to attached to concepts in the first place because that can prove problematic. Buddhism also is a religion that doesn't have the concept of God.

A pantheistic interpretation would see God as the natural universe. Some, including myself, would argue that the original spiritual traditions, from whence religion has [d]evolved, were actually pantheistic in nature. In such an interpretation, the natural universe is God and the natural laws are what govern it.

The human mind has evolved in such a way that psychological and emotional attachment to concepts is the norm, and affects how we view the world. Modern psychology would support this. Spiritual practices, such as meditation, as opposed to religious - which are more dogmatic and ritualistic in nature - aim to reduce or even break this attachment.

There is no magic man in this interpretation, there is only the natural universe, but there is still "God", and no religion is necessary.

The dictionary is really the only non-subjective source for definitions of words. I would probably view all spirituality as religious to be honest, but the dictionary has another definition that I have to accept when communicating with people.

Buddhism having no gods has nothing to do with believing in a god being religious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Look, this argument is going around in circles.

Questions:

1. Is a belief in 'God' necessarily religious?
    2. Can you have a comprehension of 'God' which is either A: irreligious or B: non-religious?
    3. Is the concept of 'God' a problem posed to atheists attempting to recover?
    4. If the concept of 'God' is removed from AA, what have you got?
    5. Do AA's, believe they could have recovered without the 'God' concept?
    6. If you cannot grasp a concept of 'God', is AA completely out of the question for an alcoholic hoping to recover?
    7. Would a recovery programme completely devoid of any reference to 'God' or spirituality be effective?

sopretty wrote: »
    Look, this argument is going around in circles.

Questions:

1. Is a belief in 'God' necessarily religious?
    2. Can you have a comprehension of 'God' which is either A: irreligious or B: non-religious?
    3. Is the concept of 'God' a problem posed to atheists attempting to recover?
    4. If the concept of 'God' is removed from AA, what have you got?
    5. Do AA's, believe they could have recovered without the 'God' concept?
    6. If you cannot grasp a concept of 'God', is AA completely out of the question for an alcoholic hoping to recover?
    7. Would a recovery programme completely devoid of any reference to 'God' or spirituality be effective?

1. By definition, yes.
    2. By definition, no.
    3. I doubt it
    4. Probably still mostly AA, hard to say though
    5. AA members? I don't know.
    6. No.
    7. Probably, don't know for sure, no data available.

2. By definition, no.
    this begs the question, what is meant by "God"

EDIT: just in the context of the aforementioned point: Pantheism is the idea that "God" is nothing more than the natural universe, with it's natural laws. The question then is, is the natural universe religious?

this begs the question, what is meant by "God"

Definition of god:
    (in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.
    (in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshipped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.
    EDIT: just in the context of the aforementioned point: Pantheism is the idea that "God" is nothing more than the natural universe, with it's natural laws. The question then is, is the natural universe religious?

Wikipedia

Pantheism is the belief that the natural universe is a god. Therefore Pantheism is a religious belief. It does not make the natural universe religious.

''There isn't a jot of evidence to suggest that anything specific to AA that distibguishes it from any other social support group that helps anyone."

What do you mean by this ?

I mean there isn't a jot of evidence to suggest that anything specific to AA that distinguishes it from any other social support group that helps anyone.

Perhaps you could be clearer on which word or phrase there you actually need assistance with because it parses very well for me and I see no way of saying what I mean by it, other than restate it.

If you have specific questions, by all means ask. I am happy to answer.

Definition of god:
    (in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.
    (in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshipped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.

Wikipedia

Pantheism is the belief that the natural universe is a god. Therefore Pantheism is a religious belief. It does not make the natural universe religious.

"Others hold that pantheism is a non-religious philosophical position. To them, pantheism is the view that the Universe and God are identical.;[8] in other words: that the Universe (with all its divine extensions, planets, suns, galaxies, thrones and creatures) is what people and religions call "God"

The point you made in the post, as can clearly be seen, was simply that when alcohol is removed there is a void to be filled

There IS a void to be filled. Obviously. You take something out of a persons life that was a large part of it.... you leave a gap. Not seeing your issue with that fact. Do you think all that time and resources they put into that just goes away and life goes on otherwise as normal?

But that is NOT the same thing as the misrepresentation you made of it which claimed that I think that all one has to do to give up alcohol is get a hobby. I never said this, indicated this, or implied this. That was simply your crass and desperate attempt to misrpresent me to dodge my actual points.

I simply repeat my request: Dont do that. It is not Big. It is not Clever. It is not Honest. I will only defend the points I have made, not the ones you have invented on my behalf.
    That the 12-steps are adapted from the Oxford group steps doesn't make them religious.

Nor have I claimed it does. You keep attacking positions I neither hold nor have espoused. I very clearly said that what makes them religious, is the text of the 12 steps themselves. The references not just to "god" but the very recognizable theistic attributes this "god" is given in that text.

As I said if you want to ignore those attributes and words to make it compatible with the non-religious.... go for it. I am not taking issue with it. I am taking issue only with pretending that ignoring it is not what you are doing. As I said.... if you act this way you could claim the bible is not a religious text either. You simply have to ignore the bits that are. Just do not try to breath with your head that far in the sand, it is not healthy.
    No one has ignored your points, least of all me.

At least you have. And edited them to suit yourself. Or massively misrepsented them. The only floundering here is from you, as you flounder about trying to attack positions I do not hold in a desperate and fetid effort to look like you are having an argument and winning it.

Again for example on this thread my main question has been "If you take the things that make AA what it is, that distinguish it from just being a simple social support group, is there a _single jot of evidence anywhere_ to show that these things are beneficial?" and all I see from you (and others) in response is a floundering and palpable desperation to dodge even attempting to answer such a question.

• Advertisement

I mean there isn't a jot of evidence to suggest that anything specific to AA that distinguishes it from any other social support group that helps anyone.

Perhaps you could be clearer on which word or phrase there you actually need assistance with because it parses very well for me and I see no way of saying what I mean by it, other than restate it.

If you have specific questions, by all means ask. I am happy to answer.

To rephrase it as a question: "What does AA offer that makes it better than any other social support group that has helped people?"

"Others hold that pantheism is a non-religious philosophical position. To them, pantheism is the view that the Universe and God are identical.;[8] in other words: that the Universe (with all its divine extensions, planets, suns, galaxies, thrones and creatures) is what people and religions call "God"

I think it's worth discussing the definition of atheism in this context also. I am not atheist, so I can't discuss.

I think it's worth discussing the definition of atheism in this context also. I am not atheist, so I can't discuss.

Of course you can. Atheism is the lack of belief in a god. An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in a god. It doesn't necessarily mean that they believe there is no god.

Of course you can. Atheism is the lack of belief in a god. An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in a god. It doesn't necessarily mean that they believe there is no god.

Are there different levels of atheist then? :P

To rephrase it as a question: "What does AA offer that makes it better than any other social support group that has helped people?"

Actually thinking about your response I would rephrase yours AND mine. I would phrase it as "What are the attributes that distinguish AA from any other social support group.... and what are the effects of these attributes?".

Because the way you and I are phrasing it would have us just look for things that might or might not be beneficial. They COULD also be positively damaging or harmful.

So to answer the question we would have to identify those attributes, and measure they effects whether positive OR negative. As I said earlier a drowning man will drown his untrained well meaning rescuer. If people just cobble together what they think is a support group, the potential is there too where and when they are untrained well meaning rescuers.
    Are there different levels of atheist then? :P

Something like 33% (rough estimate, top of head) of threads on this forum get derailed into long and fruitless discussions of the term "Atheist".... what it means...... and whether there are different types and strengths. So common is it in fact that I have on occasion suspected that certain theist posters here.... when they see they are losing an argument..... will drop just the right keywords intentionally to get the thread to derail in that direction. It gives them an out. A case of "Uh oh, they got me, but I have just the distraction for them!!!!"

Or put it this way, can an atheist believe that there is no one God in the Christian sense, but that 'God' is a concept that they can accept?

So to answer the question we would have to identify those attributes, and measure they effects whether positive OR negative. As I said earlier a drowning man will drown his untrained well meaning rescuer. If people just cobble together what they think is a support group, the potential is there too where and when they are untrained well meaning rescuers.

The way I see AA is a bit like the old story about the sticks being broken individually quite easily, but when they were bunched together, they were impossible to break.

The success for everyone is dependent on the success of each individual. Everyone in AA is sort of interdependent.

Something like 33% (rough estimate, top of head) of threads on this forum get derailed into long and fruitless discussions of the term "Atheist".... what it means...... and whether there are different types and strengths. So common is it in fact that I have on occasion suspected that certain theist posters here.... when they see they are losing an argument..... will drop just the right keywords intentionally to get the thread to derail in that direction. It gives them an out. A case of "Uh oh, they got me, but I have just the distraction for them!!!!"

Are you suggesting that I am derailing the thread?

Or put it this way, can an atheist believe that there is no one God in the Christian sense, but that 'God' is a concept that they can accept?

If someone believes in any kind of god, they are no longer an atheist. They can entertain the possibility that there might be a god, but belief in a god of any kind would make them a theist.
    There are many different types of atheists, much the same way as there are many different types of theists. Atheists can argue and have disagreements about whether or not it's possible that there could be a god and both still fall under the atheist category.

• Advertisement

If someone believes in any kind of god, they are no longer an atheist. They can entertain the possibility that there might be a god, but belief in a god of any kind would make them a theist.
    There are many different types of atheists, much the same way as there are many different types of theists. Atheists can argue and have disagreements about whether or not it's possible that there could be a god and both still fall under the atheist category.

Ok, put it this way. I'm not sure what I am. I don't believe there is 'a God'. I believe there is a 'thing' or a 'force' or a 'power' or something, which is what we commonly refer to as 'God'. Not the man up in the sky with the beard. Just some sort of external force.

So, what definition does that put on me?

Advertisement