Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi vis discussion thread (read post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Paddigol wrote: »
    Most do, but as pointed out, its the reflective strips that people consider to be the 'high visibility' element of the clothes.

Yet when I get stopped at a random Garda checkpoint and politely advised to wear 'Hi Viz', when I point out that if my two lights front - two lights rear weren't enough, my black cycling top and bib tights both have reflective strips incorporated, I'm advised "that's not enough".

Bottom line, people with absolutely NO clue are completely confused as to what constitutes 'Hi Viz', yet at the same time insist that it should be compulsory. It's bolloxology and is called out as such time and time again.

You're right, they say 'hi-viz' but they don't care how highly-visible your lights etc make you they just want you in Day-Glo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was out in the car, was passed by a chap who'd wrapped his bike in christmas lights. that is one way to be seen...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,763 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Agree 100%! I'd love to know how many cyclists who were injured or killed on our roads this year were wearing Hi-viz (and Helmets). I suspect every one of them were fully fitted out! IMO the vast majority of incidents on our roads are down to lack of observation, combined with speed and inexperience. (and i'm referring to all modes of transport)

If I recall the figures for 2018 (I think), 14 out of 16 cyclist deaths were in daylight. But yeah, hi-viz......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,757 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

keane2097 wrote: »
    You're right, they say 'hi-viz' but they don't care how highly-visible your lights etc make you they just want you in Day-Glo

Yeah, judging by what people say on here (I haven't been stopped yet), they don't really try to appraise how conspicuous you are based on your current set-up, but just try to make you take a €1 builder's vest if you're not wearing one.

I'm dreading this conversation with them. I mean, on my cargo bike I have two front lights, two rear lights, wrist lights, as well as effectively three reflectors at the rear, and a reflective strap around my messenger bag. It beggars belief they'd tell me it's not enough, but I'm still expecting it.

There was a Garda checkpoint near me two weeks ago, and I passed through with my more minimal cargobike light set-up, as it was a local trip and they just waved me through, but they were checking insurance, not giving out hi-vis.

Was headed home this afternoon around 3:45 west at one point and that horrible combination of a low sun and wet road was as good an advert you can get for why you should run your rear light at that time of day or all day in fact. Also a lesson to me not to leave my sunglasses behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Was headed home this afternoon around 3:45 west at one point and that horrible combination of a low sun and wet road was as good an advert you can get for why you should run your rear light at that time of day or all day in fact. Also a lesson to me not to leave my sunglasses behind.

Another example of a situation where a yellow vest is a bad idea?
    It's also good idea to cycle a bit further out from the kerb to ensure you are directly in a drivers lane of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,757 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Another example of a situation where a yellow vest is a bad idea?

There was a lollipop man killed in England a good few years ago, and the crash-site investigator suggested that his hi-vis outfit blended with the low sun, rendering him very hard to see. Think that was rather letting the driver off the hook, and people do bend over backwards to exonerate drivers, but that's what he said.
    Mr Lawson said an accident investigator, who visited the crash scene, experienced how the bright sun had the effect of "blending in" with the colour of a colleague's high visibility jacket similar to that worn by Mr Elsmore at the time of the accident.
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/driver-22-blinded-by-sun-knocked-over-and-killed-82-year-old-lollipop-man-8933201.html

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How long will it be until drivers take this on board...

https://twitter.com/Sam_Fitzgerald7/status/1172043425102868481?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is there similar stats for cars with their lights on in the daytime ,
    I think all new cars need " daylight running lights " with a good few years ...
    If I'm walking and sharing space with cars it's not a bad idea to wear hi-vis , doesn't shift any responsibilitys though..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

A quick google shows there are plenty of studies on this, with the European research showing 5 - 10% reduction from an aggregation of 41 studies. (and reduction in collision with pedestrians by 12%) The RSA also have a document available on their analysis from 2009.

I can't find a refer, but I do remember one ESB campaign touting that their recorded accidernts dropped dramatically from other drivers hitting parked ESB vehicles on side of the road by leaving DRL on while stationary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,763 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Markcheese wrote: »
    Is there similar stats for cars with their lights on in the daytime ,
    I think all new cars need " daylight running lights " with a good few years ...
    If I'm walking and sharing space with cars it's not a bad idea to wear hi-vis , doesn't shift any responsibilitys though..

Any stats on covering all cars with hi-vis stripes? Not a bad idea, presumably?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭mvt

Is that a mock up of an RSA safety ad ?

Fair play to the guy for his FOI request, there has to be more realism from the RSA towards a cyclists POV.

Also,does anyone know where is that road in the ad, looks great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have mentioned before that though i don't wear what would be termed 'hi vis', i do favour brighter coloured jerseys - though largely so if i *do* come a cropper, blame won't be transferred to me even if my visibility is utterly moot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The lights are on all the time but that doesn't having any bearing on the benifits of fluorescent gear. You don't need to look like a sign post
    Which is what wearing Hi Vis accomplishes. I notice a set of lights while driving on the N11 as soon as I have a clear line fof sight. I have to be a damn sight closer to make out the tiny road signs, and my eyesight is in perfect nick.
    tomasrojo wrote: »
    Yeah, there was an Australian study carried out on a closed track, and observers were told to look out for cyclists on it, and fluorescent jackets or bibs didn't do any better than black clothing (I think it was at night, rather than dusk, so no ambient UV light to feed the fluorescence process), but reflective material on the heels and knees were effective.

One thing they noted was the observers were quite good at spotting all cyclists, since they'd been told by a sort of authority figure to do it.
    There was a similar study on full beams vs dips on seeing pedestrians in the US, I must look it up as it was really interesting in that it seemed to imply there was little to no difference in identification distance of a pedestrian when you had a car with full or dipped lights approaching.
    tomasrojo wrote: »
    If that's the video I'm thinking of, I was impressed by how conspicuous the pedal reflectors were, between the biomotion and the brightness, but not by how late they became apparent.
    The same (anecdote time) from me in regards council workers at night on the N11. I used to work nights in a lab, and I did drive on occasion and hands up, I noticed the council workers legs long before anything else when it was the time of year to waste up the budget.
    Enduro wrote: »
    Last night I was out for my standard nightly run on the unlit backroads of south Dublin, but with a new much brighter red LED armband light (I always run with one at night, but this one was a noticable step up in luminosity). The much brighter light seemed to have a significant affect on how much more room cars were passing by, and how much earlier they were pulling out to pass. Very very noticably so.

In many many years of running on roads only two things seem to have this positive affect... a very bright red armband, or a very bright headtorch. Clothing colour or reflectiveness seems to no noticable affect whatsover. So pretty much exactly the same as my experiences cycling.
    I found the same when I started audaxes and bought a decent dynamo light,drivers thought I was a motorcycle and gave me much more space and appreciation.
    was out in the car, was passed by a chap who'd wrapped his bike in christmas lights. that is one way to be seen...
    My son gets me to do this on occasion, first year I have dodged it.
    If I recall the figures for 2018 (I think), 14 out of 16 cyclist deaths were in daylight. But yeah, hi-viz......
    Much like the Helmet debate, me memory of those that were "high profile" in the media all had helmets bar one. Having known one person who died in such a scenario, in a cold way, i found it strange how the news never commented on how they had Hi Vis, lights and a helmet in the middle of the day. I guess, quite sadly, it is only worth noting in its absence, rather than in the absence of a wonderful person who followed all the recommendations, even the ones that have no basis in reality bar the feelings of the media and those who haven't thought it through.

5 people dead..yet they were wearing helmets??

https://youtu.be/pD5W2sm3sQY

Read about that over the weekend. Silver lining is that it happened in the US and he will get the punishment to fit the crime.

https://twitter.com/DonnellyStephen/status/1342790914532646912

i guess it's in case the fridge doesn't see him and falls over onto him?

also; i wouldn't have matched those shoes to that suit.

also; i wouldn't have matched those shoes to that suit.

They look to be the same safety boot I use when visiting one of our sites. It's actually a requirement for me and no entry without.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's funny to see the blame passing by the drivers onto pedestrians in this twitter thread...

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1350068211652419584?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,108 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's funny to see the blame passing by the drivers onto pedestrians in this twitter thread...

On the spot fines for pedestrians not wearing hi-vis. First off how many people on a quiet country road would ever be caught but if it was a thing would we be fining the 12yo kids as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Including one such comment from a driving school in Cork. Now deleted of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Steoller

breezy1985 wrote: »
    On the spot fines for pedestrians not wearing hi-vis. First off how many people on a quiet country road would ever be caught but if it was a thing would we be fining the 12yo kids as well

Totally unenforceable. I mean, how is a Guard supposed to find them and fine them if they're not wearing Hi-vis, and thus invisible?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,115 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Black car crashes into hi-vis van with cctv symbol emblazoned upon it in London
    http://camdennewjournal.com/article/black-cab-crashes-with-police-van-outside-tube-station

• Registered Users Posts: 25,108 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

zell12 wrote: »
    Black car crashes into hi-vis van with cctv symbol emblazoned upon it in London
    http://camdennewjournal.com/article/black-cab-crashes-with-police-van-outside-tube-station

The good news is it was just a taxi and a van. Luckily no humans involved

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

As my father says, 'If you see an ass ride it'. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I honestly love that this thread is still going , I don't often visit it , but just seeing it's continued active presence gives me a chuckle ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

goodfellas.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I honestly love that this thread is still going , I don't often visit it , but just seeing it's continued active presence gives me a chuckle ..

Its the fact that after nearly 2500 posts, the passion that new posters bring in rehashing issues that have been discussed in detail is invigorating. It's a bit like Reddit I suppose as they can't see the points made before and therefore can start again with some radical view on hi vis that one else has ever mentioned before. People like this bring me hope for the future as if they are this passionate about a subject they haven't read up on much, imagine how much they benefit the Irish economy in the real world, when they go to work and get involved in something they actually have more than a passing knowledge on, it must be incredible what they achieve.

Advertisement