Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi vis discussion thread (read post #1)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

exactly, this thread has averaged 0.96 posts per day over seven years. if you want to see proper 'i don't know what i'm talking about and that only makes me more confident in what i say' posting, i reckon the covid threads would knock this one into a cocked hat.
    they probably get 0.96 posts ever couple of minutes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Paddigol

It was the safety cushion's own fault for not wearing a helmet. Guarantee you that it didn't have a bell either. Typical. Doesn't pay road tax and expects special treatment. Shouldn't have been on the road holding up traffic. I hope the car owner sues...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The RSA are at it again (I don't think it received one positive reply)...

https://twitter.com/RSAIreland/status/1371189388114194433

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

We should all register for this competition and flood it with images of car-free streets, good cycle lanes and Gardai strictly enforcing speed limits! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

"They will receive an armband, and a certificate that gives them the power to instruct everyone to wear safety gear while out walking or cycling."
    good god, what's terrifying is not that they're saying you've to wear hi-vis, they're actively empowering children to be annoying little busybodies.

safety gear while walking. give me patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

"They will receive an armband, and a certificate that gives them the power to instruct everyone to wear safety gear while out walking or cycling."
    good god, what's terrifying is not that they're saying you've to wear hi-vis, they're actively empowering children to be annoying little busybodies.

I'm certain I read or watched some dystopian thing recently where all adults were afraid of children because every little transgression was reported to the state. I can't remember what it was and Google keeps recommending Tusla.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,028 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's double plus stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's a common enough trope in dystopian fiction. 1984 for instance has parents being ratted out by their children. And that would have been based on real world authoritarian regimes.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/thousands-of-children-used-as-spies-by-ceausescu-s-police-1.1262463

(The Nazis as well obviously but I didn't want to do a Godwin's law on it :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Sir_Humpy

I wish I could claim to understand the thought process of people in the RSA, but I honestly don't know. I can only assume they're simply overstaffed with people who know how to organise fun competitions for school kids, and understaffed with people who actually have data driven expertise of road safety, based on international experience.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A zoom call in my kids school was an all school assembly and they picked out various students to do cultural bits and pieces for recent festivals/holidays. Well one of the 3rd class kids told everyone that they had a huge party in their house to celebrate the festival, and they had loads of people over visiting. The looks of disgust from other kids was intense, with one of the 1st class students at the next class zoom calls taking the opportunity to tell everyone that's why we are in this mess. My kids teacher at the Parent teacher meeting said there are no secrets, they tell them everything, it is quite comical, you become shocked by nothing. Everything from relationships, gossip, shenanigans to alcohol consumption is relayed on a regular basis in the infant classes. They hear everything and relay all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Steoller

I'm surprised they think they'll reach many 2nd class schoolchildren through twitter, of all things. Maybe their problem is that they're wildly optimistic, rather than totally out of touch.

RSA: Everyone wear hi viz!
    DCC: k

I know it's the same 5/6 cyclists doing loops for the video, but you'd think everyone (including the Gardaí, the bus...) decided yellow was the colour of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

RSA: Everyone wear hi viz!
    DCC: k

I know it's the same 5/6 cyclists doing loops for the video, but you'd think everyone (including the Gardaí, the bus...) decided yellow was the colour of the day.

Hopefully nobody ends up injured arguing that a DCC video told them it was fine to 'proceed with caution' when there's a bus ahead indicating left. This seems like madness to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I cycle that way regularly and going straight on even when the left arrow is red is dodgy sometimes. (You get the odd impatient idiot who'll turn and try to take up a "headstart" position even though there are people trying to cross on the pedestrian light). If I saw traffic had started to turn, I'd be taking up position to the right of the left turning traffic before heading straight on.

Yeah same as, I don't care what right of way I have, I just don't trust people to check mirrors in those situations.

buffalo wrote: »
    Hopefully nobody ends up injured arguing that a DCC video told them it was fine to 'proceed with caution' when there's a bus ahead indicating left. This seems like madness to me.
    It does seem a bit contradictory to the passing on the left bit of 332/2012 alright. The cyclist can't proceed because of the indicator, the other vehicle can't turn because of the flashing amber.

I wonder does it eventually turn green or is it only red/flashing amber.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Seems odd and to fly in the face of legislation as it stands, or am I misunderstanding it? Or are they trying to imply that not being a f*ckh*le is a legal requirement rather than a hope for road users.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Rage, rage against the dying of the light. For 'light', read 'reason'.

It's on this basis that I'm also wary of the drive for more and more segregated bike lanes - as though simply spending cash on cycling infrastructure is de facto 'progress'. What I think this all does is actually speed up the idea that roads are for cars, pedestrians and cyclists are a nuisance and should ultimately be banned from roads, and if you're hit by a car rather than ask - what was the cause/ who was at fault? - the first reaction will be a defensive "yeah but was he/ she wearing hi-viz?".

It's all a bit pathetic really, in the original sense of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,986 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Indo - RSA accused of victim blaming in safety campaign
    FOI of received complaints
    - “All the high-vis in the world won’t stop drivers speeding, texting, parking illegally. Please stop with these campaigns. They are dangerous.”
    - “A motorist swerved into the cycle path, missing me by inches,” they said. “He wasn’t paying attention to the road at all and didn’t have both hands on the wheel. I was wearing a high-vis vest and he didn’t see me.”
    - Another cyclist asked if children should be wearing high-vis clothing and helmets when playing outside their homes, according to the log of complaints released under FOI.

Interesting jury verdict in a case against a taxi driver who hit an escooter rider clad in dark clothes on a rainy night. I didn't realise that a jury could make recommendations on the legislation.
    Seems like a strange recommendation against a victim of a collision in my opinion.
    Could this happen against a cyclist knocked down by a driver?
    A taxi driver was cleared on the charge of careless driving causing serious bodily harm to a young man travelling on an electric scooter wearing dark clothes – and the jury called for new legislation on hi-vis jackets and insurance for people using the scooters.

The jury at Cork Circuit Criminal Court reached a unanimous not guilty verdict in the case and brought it to the attention of Judge Brian O’Callaghan that they had attached a note to the verdict. The judge invited the foreperson to read it.

“We recommend that the legislation be updated in regard to all road users to include electric scooters and the legal requirement to wear a high visibility vest and to have insurance to drive on the road. The full responsibility and due care should not fall solely on car users,” the foreperson said.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40320827.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

There, but for the grace of God, drive I.

I'm sure all it took was one highly informed expert member of the jury on all things hi-vis and insurance preventing you getting run over for the rest to nod along.

On the scooters though I do have issue with the rear lights on the ones that actually have them, far too low to the ground even if bright enough. One girl I see wears a kind of strap / harness on her back I assume is indented for running with a bike light attacked to it. Not sure what the all round solution is for them but hers is a good diy effort.

i'm surprised* the judge didn't tell the jury to get ****ed. they're there for one purpose, and one purpose only; to decide guilt or innocence, and not to pontificate on things they've no expertise in.

*not

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

That is absolutely ridiculous that they read that out loud in court and it's in the papers now. I also don't understand how you struggle to see anything if you have your lights on while driving and you're paying attention, no matter what the colour of the object is whether organic or inanimate.

Oh and this appeared on my Twitter feed today

https://twitter.com/BBC_TopGear/status/1406924866683539456

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭secman

So black cars are to be banned or wrapped in hiviz ;)

Advertisement