Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi vis discussion thread (read post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,395 ✭✭✭✭zell12

check_six wrote: »
    Was I hallucinating ...
    There was a Yella Vest protest in Dublin on 15th in the pouring rain, from Custom House to Dáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Was I hallucinating when I heard that there was to be a "Hi-Vis Day" coming up soon as advertised on the radio? Maybe I'm just misinterpreting some call to arms for a protest movement with vague objectives?

It's probably the Usual Suspects professionally-outraged crowd trying to create an Irish version of the French Mouvement des gilets jaunes.

Now, it they were trying to create a 'Maillot Jaune' movement... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

zell12 wrote: »

I wonder was anything said to the woman with the motorbike which was presumably uninsured, untaxed, no plates, no helmet etc. Not just a stand on scooter, had a little seat.

Noel Rock went on his in full view of 2 gardai who did nothing.
    3208622-1542223019481816.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

rubadub wrote: »
    I wonder was anything said to the woman with the motorbike which was presumably uninsured, untaxed, no plates, no helmet etc. Not just a stand on scooter, had a little seat.

Noel Rock went on his in full view of 2 gardai who did nothing.
    [IMGhttps://cdn-02.independent.ie/videos/article37529438.ece/f73c8/AUTOCROP/w620/3208622-1542223019481816.jpg[/IMG]

Are those scooters illegal or not? I see they are being sold in a BMS on Abbey Street.

https://www.cyclebike.ie/scooters/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Are those scooters illegal or not? I see they are being sold in a BMS on Abbey Street.

https://www.cyclebike.ie/scooters/
    illegal to use on a public road AFAIK, though some like to make out like its a grey area. Totally legal to sell, you could be using them on private land.

The garda had a tweet before about doing someone on one very similar to that pictured.
    DMR Traffic Electric mechanically propelled scooter stopped on public road No Insurance/Licence Scooter seized & prosecution to follow
    https://twitter.com/gardatraffic/status/890477022245519361?lang=en

here is a bicycle with petrol tank
    https://twitter.com/gardatraffic/status/897540601788420096

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

illegal to use on a public road AFAIK, though some like to make out like its a grey area. Totally legal to sell, you could be using them on private land.

The garda had a tweet before about doing someone on one very similar to that pictured.

Cheers, i see a lot of them on my daily commute now. They're silent and can fairly zip along.

It's a bit disconcerting to be pedaling up the bridge at Harolds Cross on the way out of town and some silent raider zooms up outside you on one of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Was I hallucinating when I heard that there was to be a "Hi-Vis Day" coming up soon as advertised on the radio? Maybe I'm just misinterpreting some call to arms for a protest movement with vague objectives?
    Heard the ad today from the RSA - National Be Safe Be Seen Day, which is this Friday. The advert encourages wearing a hi-hiz arm band "in solidarity" FFS....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Cheers, i see a lot of them on my daily commute now. They're silent and can fairly zip along.

It's a bit disconcerting to be pedaling up the bridge at Harolds Cross on the way out of town and some silent raider zooms up outside you on one of those things.

Me too, it's fairly humiliating when they whizz past you as you're on an uphill section!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Heard the ad today from the RSA - National Be Safe Be Seen Day, which is this Friday. The advert encourages wearing a hi-hiz arm band "in solidarity" FFS....

Aha! My initial hallucination is starting to spread. Everyone will be hearing it all the time shortly. Bit like St. Vitus Dancing Plague!

Could I fashion a counter armband in time? Not black, but maybe camouflage pattern? (Yes, I will still be running my bright lights, in case anyone asks).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Macy0161 wrote: »

Could I fashion a counter armband in time? Not black, but maybe camouflage pattern? (Yes, I will still be running my bright lights, in case anyone asks).
    I tried that last year but no one noticed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

So maybe all those RSA yellow jackets could overthrow the state (á la gillet jaune), and maybe get more considered cycle lane design, or a non spoofer as Minister for Transport. The RSA created a monster. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Correct , see Road Traffic Act 1961, section 3:
    “mechanically propelled vehicle” means, subject to subsection (2) of this section, a vehicle intended or adapted for propulsion by mechanical means, including—

(a) a bicycle or tricycle with an attachment for propelling it by mechanical power, whether or not the attachment is being used,

(b) a vehicle the means of propulsion of which is electrical or partly electrical and partly mechanical,

Clearly the Act is probably out of date and likely doesn't realistically envision electric bicycles and scooters (the latter of which I think, personally, are so dumb) and should be updated to allow for their use on public roads but require the usual safety equipment that would be expected.

I'm not sure about insurance? Seems a slippery slope - would we then logically suggest that cyclists should have a licence / insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Seems to be a real problem in The Netherlands too with all these various modes of transport on the cycleways.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Obligatory I'm surprised they saw them to stop them comment
    https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1076189573116514304?s=19

Garda join in Dublin yellow vest protest yesterday :pac:
    pedestrians and wheelchairs in the bike lane etc etc
    BBRiP1U.img?h=416&w=624&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=568&y=342

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

garda prevents disaster after arson attack at petrol station in Cork
    The arsonist was cycling a bike, wearing a hi-vis jacket and white clothing.

Guess he went full camo for this :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

Grassey wrote: »

"around 15 minutes later, a garda rushed to the scene"

Must be a new definition of the meaning of 'rushed'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

conkennedy wrote: »
    "around 15 minutes later, a garda rushed to the scene"

Must be a new definition of the meaning of 'rushed'

I also understood it was pure luck he was passing and spotted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

More hi viz madness! Do we really need kids wearing hi viz while sitting INSIDE a black cargo bike?

https://twitter.com/alan_downtown/status/1082217273660768256?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

CramCycle wrote: »
    I also understood it was pure luck he was passing and spotted it.

Absolutely, it was just a pure coincidence he was passing by

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

07Lapierre wrote: »
    More hi viz madness! Do we really need kids wearing hi viz while sitting INSIDE a black cargo bike?

Why not interact with me on the tweet?

Hardly madness, some schools ask parents to put hi vis on their kids on the walk to school, they may need it for a school trip. I think its a lovely tweet, and hi vis is not the thing to be picking on. Seen other pics on the tweets of that tweeter and they don't have HI Vis so hardly a big issue.

Hardly madness, some schools ask parents to put hi vis on their kids on the walk to school, they may need it for a school trip. I think its a lovely tweet, and hi vis is not the thing to be picking on. Seen other pics on the tweets of that tweeter and they don't have HI Vis so hardly a big issue.

Maybe but unless the kids are going for a walk along the M50 motorway, i think Hi-viz is a bit OTT. I guess it does make it easier to count the kids if there are a lot of them.

Maybe but unless the kids are going for a walk along the M50 motorway, i think Hi-viz is a bit OTT. I guess it does make it easier to count the kids if there are a lot of them.

My point was that it may have nothing to do with the tweeter. I disagree with Hi Vis for school trips as most schools use it. My daughters school used Pink Baseball caps, which was very effective. It is OTT if the tweeter put them on for the trip but on the same note, that's the parents choice, I am just happy to see some more families out enjoying sustainable commuting, so long as they don't give out when I don't do it, i really don't care.

My point was that it may have nothing to do with the tweeter. I disagree with Hi Vis for school trips as most schools use it. My daughters school used Pink Baseball caps, which was very effective. It is OTT if the tweeter put them on for the trip but on the same note, that's the parents choice, I am just happy to see some more families out enjoying sustainable commuting, so long as they don't give out when I don't do it, i really don't care.

Fair enough... guess I’m overly sensitive to hi vis on kids! I find it very annoying.

• Advertisement

site_owner wrote: »
    Why not interact with me on the tweet?

I did, but my Twitter account was set to “Private” . I’ve changed it now.

Advertisement