Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think the Iona Institute are homophobic?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

You should see what the BBC or ARD in Germany takes in!!

ARD takes in €7.6 billion in licence fees!

BBC has to scrimp on about £3.6 billion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

No
    SpaceTime wrote: »
    You should see what the BBC or ARD in Germany takes in!!

ARD takes in €7.6 billion in licence fees!

All that means is that either their license fee is twice what ours is, they are twice as likely to pay it, their average household is half the size, or some combination thereof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

No
    All that means is that either their license fee is twice what ours is, they are twice as likely to pay it, their average household is half the size, or some combination thereof.

Big population difference for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

No
    Cydoniac wrote: »
    Big population difference for a start.

Yes, I was accounting for that. They take in about twice as much per capita going by those figures. Hence my assessment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

No
    How do you know he hasn't?

Yeah I guess so.
    I suppose having to eat sh!t and make the apology was punishment enough. Thankfully we are bright enough to know that they aren't his views(hopefully) and his hand was forced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Its €215.76 per year if you've a TV, radio and D'Internet.

We've 1.6 million households they've 40 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

No
    SpaceTime wrote: »
    Its €215.76 per year if you've a TV, radio and D'Internet.

We've 1.6 million households they've 40 million.

less what ever they give to iona,

No
    Just saw this on Twitter

@AudreyCarville: The State's role in education. On @LatedebateRTE with @Colmogorman @AodhanORiordain Breda O'Brien & John Murray. #rteld 10pm @RTERadio1

2 Iona out of 4 on the panel...interesting to see how this one goes. RTE needing their approval on yet another matter which shouldn't pertain to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No
    RTE are in Iona's pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

Just saw this on Twitter

@AudreyCarville: The State's role in education. On @LatedebateRTE with @Colmogorman @AodhanORiordain Breda O'Brien & John Murray. #rteld 10pm @RTERadio1

2 Iona out of 4 on the panel...interesting to see how this one goes. RTE needing their approval on yet another matter which shouldn't pertain to them.

Is there a phone-in segment / degree of live Twitter interaction?

• Advertisement

No
    eorpach wrote: »
    Is there a phone-in segment / degree of live Twitter interaction?
    I honestly don't know, first I heard of it. To be frank I'm gobsmacked that this is happening, considering the past week. They could have picked any amount of sources on the matter that weren't Iona. This just makes me want to be there on Sunday for the protest even more now.

A friend of mine has hand-written complaints on their way to the ministers and European Court. This is getting out of hand at this stage, bigtime. A real cause for concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

No
    Iona better get used to it because there will be a lot of time for debate coming up and the word 'homophobic' will be flying. Iona must all be sexually frustrated the way they bang on about gay people. As the saying goes 'the bigger the front the bigger the back'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Your 'argument' appears to be a Gay atheist doesn't think Gay people should get married therefore Iona are not homophobic as they also don't want Gay people to get married.

No my argument is that the whole gay marriage thing is more nuanced than people would like to believe. The whole good vs bad, black vs white portrayal of the discussion here is an example of that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

No
    jank wrote: »
    No my argument is that the whole gay marriage thing is more nuanced than people would like to believe. The whole good vs bad, black vs white portrayal of the discussion here is an example of that.

The discussion within the Gay Community is nuanced. The message coming out of Iona isn't. Their message is 'black vs white' as you put it. It consists of stating that homosexual relationships are not equal to heterosexual relationships and should be treated accordingly. Very black and white viewpoint no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

No
    jank wrote: »

Sure but the whole idea of marriage isn't black and white. Iona's own arguments are very black and white too.

In fact, Iona don't actually have an argument that doesn't involve children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Colm O'Regan responding to this on RTE Radio 1 now.

No
    Dave! wrote: »
    Colm O'Gorman* responding to this on RTE Radio 1 now.
    Very reasoned point. There was a painfully long silence after Breda's "can I talk? Can I talk?"

I'm recording it now, just in case any of it is cut out in the podcast.

No
    Breda O'Brien: “Equality (for gay people) must take second place to the common good”

I have no sympathy for her

No
    Audrey Carville asked Breda to be brief, when Breda snapped back "No, I'll not be brief". Bad form on radio. The 5 second silence was deafening also. Colm handled himself very well, didn't lose the rag, and Audrey just about managed to control the building chaos. Most intense radio I've heard in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

No
    Well, I've sent a complaint to RTE about the initial interview and apology. I didn't get to the radio interview to hear it. Let's see what RTE say and see how long they can keep ignoring this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,289 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No
    Audrey (and RTE) ended the conversion pretty quickly.

Breda was caught out on a number of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

No
    Very reasoned point. There was a painfully long silence after Breda's "can I talk? Can I talk?"

I'm recording it now, just in case any of it is cut out in the podcast.

"Can I talk?"
    "Yes, go ahead"
    *silence*
    "Em, well let's just talk about catholic education now"

No
    Lyaiera wrote: »
    Well, I've sent a complaint to RTE about the initial interview and apology. I didn't get to the radio interview to hear it. Let's see what RTE say and see how long they can keep ignoring this.

Its still on

No
    Audrey (and RTE) ended the conversion pretty quickly.

Breda was caught out on a number of issues.

I only got the tail end of it. Will have to re-listen to it.

No
    Daith wrote: »
    I only got the tail end of it. Will have to re-listen to it.

It didn't last long, Audrey wanted to quickly end it. No doubt she was instructed to do so by someone higher up.

No
    Lyaiera wrote: »

You'll get a generic reply that they can't respond because of legal issues.

No
    It didn't last long, Audrey wanted to quickly end it. No doubt she was instructed to do so by someone higher up.

I'm actually surprised it was even addressed!

No
    Breda tried to respond to points made by Colm O'Gorman by misquoting him and saying something that he didn't actually say.

No
    Breda tried to respond to points made by Colm O'Gorman by misquoting him and saying something that he didn't actually say.

Colm is an excellent well composed intelligent speaker. Glad he was on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

No
    Daith wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised it was even addressed!

True, Breda seemed fairly pissed off it was brought up and Audrey seemed pretty pissed off that RTÉ didn't supply a comment to the issue at top of programme..

That said, kudos to Colm, he summed it up for me:
    "No one has the right to not be offended, but people have right to point when people are being offensive"

Advertisement