Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

So much for independence....Cork getting a new route to Cardiff to go with their 5 other UK cities. Shannon just has London and Manchester......get it sorted lads!

Not confirmed, but I think its stupidity on behalf of flybe to compete with the BRS service at Cork when they can go into an underserved market in Shannon.

FYI: Cork has 3 new routes this year and the loss of 4 and Shannon has 1 new route with the loss of 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

For what could be a massive market for the airport the current situation is unacceptable regardless. At one stage, granted during the high times, almost 1m pax a year were to the UK alone

For what could be a massive market for the airport the current situation is unacceptable regardless. At one stage, granted during the high times, almost 1m pax a year were to the UK alone

Id say neil will need to open talk nice and quickly with Flybe and Ryanair in a bid to get routes nice and quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Turkish Airlines Cargo welcomed to Shannon. (AirLive.net)

The new service will enjoy round the clock services at Shannon.

The A330-200F transits from Istanbul to Chicago.

B_Urfz1W8AArks3.jpg

Introduction to Aviation – Shannon 9th – 12th March 2015 (Swissport)

This introduction course will provide participants with a broad knowledge of the aviation sector and industry recognized skills designed to enhance employability opportunities for those who wish to pursue a career in Aviation.

Might be of interest to someone.

• Advertisement

Turkish Airlines cargo now flying Istanbul-SNN-Chicago twice weekly

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

What were all the fire brigades and ambulances, with sirens blaring and lights flashing, in transit to the airport?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

cnoc wrote: »
    What were all the fire brigades and ambulances, with sirens blaring and lights flashing, in transit to the airport?

I was up at the viewing area at lunch time and a plane was being towed from the runway towards the terminal followed by airport fire tenders, so there must have been an emergency landing. The sun was shining into my face though so I couldn't make out the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭golfball37

cnoc wrote: »

Rumours that Harrison Ford was on his way to Shannon

Northern Trust, headquartered in Chicago have announced a 300 jobs expansion at their Limerick base today.

That should help boost United Airlines summer Shannon-Chicago route.

• Advertisement

US military jet makes emergency landing (Clare Herald)

A US military air-to-air refuelling aircraft has made an emergency landing at Shannon Airport this afternoon.

The crew of Boeing KC-135 declared an emergency at around 11.00am reporting a problem with the jet’s hydraulic system.

As many as 30 emergency vehicles were standing by for the jet when it landed safely at 12.24pm.

Fire and ambulances crews from Clare and Limerick were sent to the airport along with local gardaí.

Shannon’s main runway was left blocked for about 30 minutes by the jet which was left without steering after landing.

The plane had to be towed from the runway by a tug before incoming flights could land. There was however no significant impact on airport operations and the runway was reopened by 1.00pm.

shannon-jet-060315-1.gif?w=940

US military jet makes emergency landing (Clare Herald)

A US military air-to-air refuelling aircraft has made an emergency landing at Shannon Airport this afternoon.

The crew of Boeing KC-135 declared an emergency at around 11.00am reporting a problem with the jet’s hydraulic system.

As many as 30 emergency vehicles were standing by for the jet when it landed safely at 12.24pm.

Fire and ambulances crews from Clare and Limerick were sent to the airport along with local gardaí.

Shannon’s main runway was left blocked for about 30 minutes by the jet which was left without steering after landing.

The plane had to be towed from the runway by a tug before incoming flights could land. There was however no significant impact on airport operations and the runway was reopened by 1.00pm.

Ah that's what it was. I knew it had 4 engines and a massive tail, but it's so long since I've seen a 707 I couldn't place it.

I just noticed this evening, that Shannon Airport Support Group seems to have picked up a few more followers, are we sure its not an offical group?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I just noticed this evening, that Shannon Airport Support Group seems to have picked up a few more followers, are we sure its not an offical group?

I don't know if it's an official group or not, however the page has been publicisied on the Ennis Town Forum page the past few days so I'd say that's where some of the extra followers have come from.

mel.b wrote: »
    I don't know if it's an official group or not, however the page has been publicisied on the Ennis Town Forum page the past few days so I'd say that's where some of the extra followers have come from.

Its been publicised in several town and comminity pages and fourms. I had noticed it previously, but forgot about it, but I saw it again yesterday evening as it was shared by a few facebook friends.

They seem to have a good knowledge on the staus and flights of Shannon Airport. I wonder are they a member of Boards or PPruNe (or other sites that I dont know about)

Edit: Upon searching, I am also finding another page called Shannon Airport News, they also seem to get there news anonymously and have a good knowledge of the airport and its business.

Just had a look myself. Says unofficial in description. I'd say whoever runs it is in our midst!

Shannon-Poitiers, according to "Shannon Airport Support Group" is the only route in Ireland to Poitiers. Has anyone actually used it? Its rather inland in france with not much of a tourism potential. I assume that the route would get alot of 2 way traffic otherwise it wouldn't be any bit viable?

Drumgeely-Flats-1960-Photograph-courtesy-Shannon-Development-Company-660x330.jpg

Shannon town’s history reviewed (Clare Champion)

Drumgeely Flats 1960 - Photograph courtesy Shannon Development Company

THE last in the series of autumn/winter lectures of Shannon and Clare Archaeological and Historical Societies will be held next Wednesday night at the Oakwood Arms Hotel at 8pm and the subject will be the Dúchas na Sionna oral history project on the town.

This project is entitled Between Old World and New World and was prepared by Olive Carey.

Speaking about the oral history, Ms Carey said, “We started in March 2011 and we launched the report in June of last year. What it involved was researching anything that had been written about Shannon before and conducting the interviews with the earliest residents of Shannon.”

In all, around 40 interviews were conducted and next Wednesday night there will be excerpts played from six of them.

Regarding the six excerpts to be used, Ms Carey said, “It’s divided between people who were here before the town was built and then some from people who came right at the very beginning of the town. It’s to kind of give an overview of what life was like for people living in this area before the town and then the start of the town itself.”

On those who were living locally prior to the development of the town, she said, “What was interesting from the people who were here before the town was the very traditional way of life that was being lived in the area at the time and also the connection to the airport, which was quite strong. A lot of the people who were living in the area and who were farming also worked at the airport and had strong connections there.”

Regarding the early development of Shannon, she said, “In the earliest days of the town it was very pioneering. For the earliest people coming in there were very few facilities but there was a strong community spirit among what was a small community that would grow rapidly.”

She really enjoyed carrying out the research and is looking forward to next week’s event.

“I absolutely enjoyed doing it, I met incredible people, lovely people and I’m really looking forward to putting it out there again. We’ll also have some CDs of the report itself to sell on the night.”

Included in the social history are family memories of the War of Independence era, in particular about the holding of General Lucas at the Hastings Farmhouse, as well as other local safe houses. Also, accounts from the early days of Shannon paint a picture of just how unique building a new town from scratch was.

As the first accommodation was built on Drumgeely Hill, the vision began to form of not just accommodation for workers but a proper town. The first schools, shops and church were built at Drumgeely, followed by the other residential areas and the town centre.

Aer Lingus to drop Boston service over Easter (Clare Herald) :mad:

Aer Lingus has been slammed for it’s blatant disregard for customers and continuing lack of commitment to Shannon after confirming it will temporarily suspend the airport’s only year-round route to Boston during Easter.

Aer Lingus will suspend operations between Shannon and Boston for all but one day between March 29th and April 8th for what have been described as ‘operational reasons.’

It’s understood however that the airline needs the Boeing 757-200 jet that usually operates the route, for another service from Dublin

As a result, all flights between Shannon and Boston for ten days, with the exception of April 2nd, have been cancelled.

Aer Lingus says it’s in the process of contacting those customers who will be affected by the cancellation and that alternative options are being offered.

A spokesman said: “For operational reasons we have had cancel flights between Shannon and Boston on 10 days between 29th March and 08th April. The flight on 2nd April is not impacted.”

I wonder if the Aer Lingus board are upping their game against those who oppose the IAG takeover bid in its present form.

Really shows there dirt treatment of anyone outside Dublin. If you fly from Shannon your classed as a second class customer!

• Advertisement

I wonder if the Aer Lingus board are upping their game against those who oppose the IAG takeover bid in its present form.

What it shows is that despite the political grandstanding, there is no guarantee of the LHR route being safe if the sale doesn't go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

wonder if the Aer Lingus board are upping their game against those who oppose the IAG takeover bid in its present form.

Expect J class delay in 330's. It does show however the Government have no control and can't stop any decision.

Shannon Airport air traffic down -8.6% for February (IAA).

As expected, we see a drop in commercial movements for the first time since the complete withdrawal of Aer Lingus Regional.

341372.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Aer Lingus to drop Boston service over Easter (Clare Herald) :mad:

Aer Lingus has been slammed for it’s blatant disregard for customers and continuing lack of commitment to Shannon after confirming it will temporarily suspend the airport’s only year-round route to Boston during Easter.

Slammed by who exactly - the two bob operation that is the Clare Herald? No quotes have been included to verify the slamming that has apparently been taking place.

The tone of that news report is ridiculous. If they want to cancel the flights that's up to them, they are their planes and routes. Why should they be attacked for making a commercial decision?

2 flights from Dublin diverted to Shannon today

EI681 from Geneva
    EI651 from Frankfurt

Slammed by who exactly - the two bob operation that is the Clare Herald? No quotes have been included to verify the slamming that has apparently been taking place.

The tone of that news report is ridiculous. If they want to cancel the flights that's up to them, they are their planes and routes. Why should they be attacked for making a commercial decision?
    I don’t share your mocking tone regarding the dropping of the Shannon-Boston route over Easter.

You should re-read the article again as the article clearly quotes Labour TD Michael McNamara and the Fianna Fáil TD Timmy Dooley.

The Clare Herald has been a good source for Shannon Airport news. RTE, Irish Times and the Independent have all used Pat Flynn’s reports, so why should you have an issue it?

The Shannon-Boston route appeared to do well last year (+25%) (90,000 pax) and Aer Lingus appeared to be very pleased with it, so much so that they have added extra capacity for the coming summer season.

Therefore it is perplexing to understand why Aer Lingus would now piss-off their Shannon/Boston customers and undermine its growth phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Therefore it is perplexing to understand why Aer Lingus would now piss-off their Shannon/Boston customers and undermine its growth phase.

It's clearly loads didn't stack up to lease an additional frame such as Titan to operate it. It's 9 days nothing major, not sure why everything is getting their nickers in a twist over it.

Airlines scrap flights accross the wrold at short notice, EI have given's a months notice and the bottom line is SNN won't lose passengers as they will transfer to JFK/EWR/LHR to connect onto BOS.

Remember as the chairman said Sunday, Aer Lingus is not a social carrier and operational decisions will be taken on financial grounds and not political.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    It's clearly loads didn't stack up to lease an additional frame such as Titan to operate it. It's 9 days nothing major, not sure why everything is getting their nickers in a twist over it.

Airlines scrap flights accross the wrold at short notice, EI have given's a months notice and the bottom line is SNN won't lose passengers as they will transfer to JFK/EWR/LHR to connect onto BOS.

Remember as the chairman said Sunday, Aer Lingus is not a social carrier and operational decisions will be taken on financial grounds and not political.

Loads were in fact high, as the prices reflected that. €650 is not the norm for April. (Thats what they were before being taken down). 9 days is major enough. Imagine all the people who want to go away for the easter holidays, to find that they have to fly from Dublin instead because there flight is cancelled for no good reason. If 9 days is so unimportant how about if all the flights from BOS-DUB were cancelled over the Easter period? Would this not spark outrage?

Airlines scrap routes all over the world, yes they do, but generally they make sense. This one is just a scheme to promote traffic through Dublin. Aer Lingus are only in Shannon to get a foothold in the market, so they have no sort of loyalty or consistency with services. Id imagine all passengers will be pushed to Dublin, which will make Shannon lose quite a few passengers. Sure a few may connect, but the vast majority will go to DUB.

There was more than Finance behind this.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

These decisions are not financial and are definately not political. They are operational issues. The additional capacity for the summer is not due to demand but is again due to operational circumstances and so is this temporary loss of service. Shannon looses out on one decision but gains on the other. Its unfortunate though that some posters are always ready to put the boot into Shannon every time something negative happens there.

• Advertisement

Davys Fits wrote: »
    These decisions are not financial and are definately not political. They are operational issues.
    They are not just operational. If they were, the Shannon flights wouldn't be cancelled. Either a titan would be hired in or Dublin would just do without a service.
    The additional capacity for the summer is not due to demand but is again due to operational circumstances
    If that was so, then why wasnt Dublin just given the 767?
    and so is this temporary loss of service. Shannon looses out on one decision but gains on the other.

When you weigh an extra few seats during the summer up with the decision to cancel 2 months of a New York service, 10 days of a Boston service and the loss of 4 regional routes, Shannon certainty hasnt gained anything.

Advertisement