Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I used to get that 7.20 flight twice a week and it was full almost every time I got it, it was a great service as you could be in the center of London by 9 in the morning, in fact it used to be quicker to get to the center of London from Ennis than it was to the center of Dublin. The return flight at ~6.30 was great as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

It'll be doing the Dublin-Donegal PSO route. As it's subsidised it's a guaranteed money spinner and won't end up operating at a loss.

That's where the Stobart plane is going. I think the poster I was quoting was referring to the early morning Heathrow flight which was cut a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I don't think the the switching of the flights to belfast was purely a business decision. There may have been a certain pressure/politics behind the decision. I will probably never be able to back up that claim, but it does't make sense to discontinue a full flight and move it to effectively another country.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I don't think the the switching of the flights to belfast was purely a business decision. There may have been a certain pressure/politics behind the decision. I will probably never be able to back up that claim, but it does't make sense to discontinue a full flight and move it to effectively another country.

At the time I remember there being a lot of pressure between Aer Lingus, Shannon Airport and the Shannon based staff. They admitted that the Shannon route was making a profit but they only had so many stands in Heathrow and the 1 that they were going to sacrifice to run a service from Belfast was the Shannon one.

Clareman wrote: »
    At the time I remember there being a lot of pressure between Aer Lingus, Shannon Airport and the Shannon based staff. They admitted that the Shannon route was making a profit but they only had so many stands in Heathrow and the 1 that they were going to sacrifice to run a service from Belfast was the Shannon one.

Did the belfast service do any better than the shannon one?

• Advertisement

Did the belfast service do any better than the shannon one?

Nope, strangely enough a lot of the population up there wasn't really interested in flying to London in a plane with a big green shamrock on it when they could go on one with a lovely Union Jack on it.

Nope, strangely enough a lot of the population up there wasn't really interested in flying to London in a plane with a big green shamrock on it when they could go on one with a lovely Union Jack on it.

As well as that what are the bets Aer Lingus' fares were higher with a more basic offering?

So that still leaves me wondering, what was the reason behind the switch? I don't think many people know the actual reason.

As well as that what are the bets Aer Lingus' fares were higher with a more basic offering?

So that still leaves me wondering, what was the reason behind the switch? I don't think many people know the actual reason.

The reason was they had an opportunity to fly from Belfast and were willing to sacrifice Shannon rather than a Dublin or Cork router with the chance of making more money, they were also able to solve issues they had with staff and the airport authority.

The reason was they had an opportunity to fly from Belfast and were willing to sacrifice Shannon rather than a Dublin or Cork router with the chance of making more money, they were also able to solve issues they had with staff and the airport authority.

Did they not do route investigation first?

And for your second point, fair enough :) (Can we have the old slots back now? They are sorted).

Aer Lingus was never particularly nice to Shannon anyway, its like they see shannon as a "drag". If Aer Lingus were actually interested in SNN, I think it would make shannon far stronger and far more viable.

Aer Lingus' service to New York now restarts on the 15th march, 7 days earlier than previously planned.

• Advertisement

Did they not do route investigation first?

And for your second point, fair enough :) (Can we have the old slots back now? They are sorted).

Aer Lingus was never particularly nice to Shannon anyway, its like they see shannon as a "drag". If Aer Lingus were actually interested in SNN, I think it would make shannon far stronger and far more viable.

They probably did but it would have been purely on numbers rather than political stuff. Shannon wouldn't have always have been good to Aer Lingus, any changes they wanted to make always were met with resistance, for example Shannon kept onto the Shannon stop over for years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Clermont brought a fine support of fans with them judging by the departure schedule at Shannon for tonight and tomorrow.

Clermont Ferrand (ZZZ5359) Miscellaneous Private Operator
    Biarritz (ZZZ9295) Miscellaneous Private Operator
    Clermont Ferrand (AXE3522) Exec-Air
    Clermont Ferrand (DR9430) Air Mediterrannee
    Clermont Ferrand (AXE3523) Exec-Air

Pity about the result today, hopefully Munster will bounce back again next week.

I wonder will many travel from Shannon for the return game?

On Thursday, three aircraft from the Indian low-cost airline SpiceJet arrived in Shannon.

Are they here for MRO?

Shannon passenger traffic up 26% in November (Clare Herald)
    The launch of a range of new services this winter, including Berlin, Fuerteventura, Krakow, Paris and Warsaw, were responsible for a huge increase in passenger traffic at Shannon Airport last month.

Shannon recorded another month of growth after terminal passenger results for November showed a 26% increase on the same month last year, up from 77,002 to 97,292.

In keeping with trends from the summer season onwards, the biggest increase was in European traffic, with November passenger numbers growing from 7,121 in 2013 to 20,883 this year, an increase of almost 200%.

Welcoming another month of growth, Airport CEO Neil Pakey said, “The addition of the new services on our winter schedule is reaping a strong return. We have enjoyed a sustained period of growth and our objective now is to maintain this into the New Year.
    **********************************************************************************************************************************

The European traffic has taken a nice jump, 7,121 to 20,883 is a fair few passengers. Hopefully in 2 years that wont be back down to >10000 again.

Is there much of an inbound market for these European routes? Polish and Spanish routes hardly bring many tourists, you would have the odd French man and maybe a few Germans. But I would imagine that they are still mostly outbound routes.

Another month of significant growth as November passenger numbers at Shannon up by 26% (Shannon Airport)

Shannon Airport has recorded another month of growth after terminal passenger results for November showed a 26% increase on the same month last year, up from 77,002 to 97,292.

UK Market (+7%) 3,460 additional passengers
    European Market (+200%) 13,762 additional passengers
    Transatlantic Market (+15%) 2,853 additional passengers

Is there much of an inbound market for these European routes? Polish and Spanish routes hardly bring many tourists, you would have the odd French man and maybe a few Germans. But I would imagine that they are still mostly outbound routes.
    I get the impression that a lot of Polish people would visit their relatives here.

The only Spanish visitors I would ever see around were those attending English Language schools.

With daylight getting shorter, I wonder would the Wild Atlantic Way be still attractive enough for the French or German visitors at this time of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

A surprising amount of inbound tourism from France/Germany. There are still charters from all over France on Thursdays during the Summer which highlights how much they must like it here

Shannon Airport air traffic up +7.5% for November (IAA).

331090.jpg

SNN-LHR is for sale in Janurary on the Aer Lingus website for €104 return, the cheapest I have seen in a long time.

Ireland submits 70 projects for €315 billion EU investment plan (Irish Times)

Ireland has submitted more than 70 projects for possible inclusion in the EU’s €315 billion investment plan, with energy, social housing and infrastructural projects forming the bulk of the list.

Among the projects identified by the Government are a proposed new runway at Dublin Airport, the Dart Underground, the Shannon Airport development plan, Grid West, and a number of wind farms being developed by Bord na Móna, Coillte and the ESB.

I presume they mean here the International Aviation Services Centre at Shannon, where finance will be required to build additional infrastructural buildings like MRO Hangars, Air Cargo Warehouses, Out-Of-Lease Aircraft Parking Zones and Office Buildings for aviation-related businesses (leasing, training, etc).

• Advertisement

Galway contractor completes Shannon refurbishment project (Galway Independent)

Craughwell-based building contractor Monami Construction Ltd has just completed work on the first project for the newly established Shannon Commercial Properties company.

The project involved the partial refurbishment of Shannon Airport House, a large four-storey multi-let office building located in Shannon Free Zone, Shannon, Co. Clare. The building, originally constructed in the 1960s, is a signature building within Shannon Free Zone and is adjacent to Shannon Airport. A major upgrade to the front entrance lobby/circulation area and upgrade to the fit-out on the first floor was undertaken.

The building is now available for lease.

So, this project marks their first redevelopment of the zone.

Incidentally, this building is opposite those buildings marked yellow in the master plan.

Aer Lingus will operate a flight to Clermont Ferrand tomorrow from shannon under the callisign EI4506.

Santa flights also begin tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

Aer Lingus will operate a flight to Clermont Ferrand tomorrow from shannon under the callisign EI4506.

Santa flights also begin tomorrow.

Is that for the team or supporters?

I dont know tbh, I just got that info from the Shannon Airport website.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Probably both. They fly over the day before and back straight after the match and they fill the rest of the plane with supporters.

Heavy delays at Shannon this evening. From 2:30 there hasn't been an on-time flight. Most noticeably EI385,EI386 and EI387 are delayed about 3 hours. BA3 was delayed around 1hr 20mins and the stobart air is delayed around 40mins.
    Manchester and berlin also delayed around an hour each.

An extra plane from STN has arrived in SNN this evening, presumably for the Santa flights.

Heavy delays at Shannon this evening. From 2:30 there hasn't been an on-time flight. Most noticeably EI385,EI386 and EI387 are delayed about 3 hours. BA3 was delayed around 1hr 20mins and the stobart air is delayed around 40mins.
    Manchester and berlin also delayed around an hour each.

An extra plane from STN has arrived in SNN this evening, presumably for the Santa flights.

All flights into and out of Southern England were shut down this afternoon due to an ATC fault. This caused knock on delays all over Europe.

All flights into and out of Southern England were shut down this afternoon due to an ATC fault. This caused knock on delays all over Europe.

I knew that.Strange how one airport can delay most of Europe.

I knew that.Strange how one airport can delay most of Europe.

Not just Heathrow. Gatwick, Stansted, Luton and London City were also closed.

• Advertisement

Not just Heathrow. Gatwick, Stansted, Luton and London City were also closed.

I suppose saying an airport system would be more appropriate

Advertisement