Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Anonymous12

They moved us too. I said no thanks and took the refund. For less money I rebooked via Gatwick same day.

Anything to avoid Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭snotboogie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

This would be massive for Shannon if it came to pass. Have said it for a while now although Shannon traditionally was US focused there was serious potential if they looked east. The destinations that it would open up for passengers. Between business and leisure travel could easily run 3/4 times a wk

Post edited by lisasimpson on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Turkish are already in weekly with a cargo flight. I wouldn't read too much into the graphic though. It's potential expansion over the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Tiernster7

Same thoughts, 2033 is a long way away. I'd love to see it happen even if just 2 days a week and I do think it could do OK.

Klm city hopper has taken off for a few flights in shannon today. Anyone on the ground have any additional information?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The KLM was doing touch and go circuits. So training.

Why is an airline with no connection to the airport doing their training in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Because Shannon is the ideal spot. Loads others do it too. Over the years I've seen Ryanair, Aer Lingus, easyJet (who have nothing to do with the Airport), British Airways.

It's a revenue stream for the airport too. What's the issue?

No issue just trying to understand reason

Ryanair seem to have updated winter 23/24 for Shannon.

It looks like Marseille has been dropped with other increases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Dave1794

Looks like Naples, Beziers and Porto will finish around October, I wonder if they will come back next year.

Hopefully, Marseille was last winter so that's why I'm calling it a drop.

I'm not sure I'd have expected any of those to be winter routes yet. Maybe Porto, but I'm not sure.

I wouldnt be overly worried yet about the ryanair list. Malta and budapest arent bookable after oct either. Give it some time for them to finalise and plan routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Partner is on a Ryanair flight from Shannon to Alicante this morning. They were due to take off at 10.15 and they are still sitting on the plane. Flight is now at 2.10 so they leave them stuck on the plane for 4 hours before the 2.5 hour flight. I know the French are acting up again but they really do treat people like crap. My worst nightmare being stuck on a Ryanair flight that long

• Registered Users Posts: 17 johnjoeR

Im not trying to defend Ryanair but the way the ATC system works they have no choice but to leave passengers on the plane until ATC give them a clearance. Not Ryanair's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Seems Tenerife up to 3x weekly and Krakow and Wroclaw up to 4x weekly for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dave1794

Quite safe routes, Krakow and Wroclaw are always full to the brim. Let’s see if them increases continue into summer 2024. A return of Toronto from Air Canada would be great to see too, I’ve heard there was talks for them to come back.

Post edited by Dave1794 on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭cml387

It's ideal for training. Quiet so you can get more circuits in, prone to occasional crosswinds, long runway. Back in the early nineties I remember a four aircraft in the circuit all training including a Swissair MD11 fresh out of the box (which I think subsequently was Swissair flight 111).,

Ryanair Shannon to Edinburgh one way 1st December €195!?! What’s that about. Ridiculous pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,435 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Could just be a coincidence that a few group bookings are on the flight (stags/hens etc) and it's almost booked out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,422 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Is there a rugby game on?

Christmas Market rush?

Flight just got loaded onto the system so unlikely it’s close to sold out already?

Id say leave it a few hours and come back.

Also see Malta is loaded weekly on a sat and Budapest is loaded twice a week friday and monday for the winter.

Hope they extend liverpool for the winter when schedule is finalizes

Post edited by lisasimpson on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

So flew out to Reus from shannon last week, and returned yesterday

Have to say, I'll only be flying out of shannon anymore, We were in and through security in 3 minutes.

Had plenty of tike to relax before the flight and the boarding and takeoff were flawless.

Was a Ryanair flight BTW.

It got better. Malta twice weekly and Liverpool loaded.

Marseille gone for winter it seems.

With Paris gone too it is disappointing for French connectivity by train from Shannon.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Booked a flight to JFK in Sept. with Aer Lingus. Under €400 incl. seat selection. That's a very decent fare I reckon.

Took a look at what Ryanair have up for next winter,

Increase is very modest by my calculations considering additional aircraft base.

Total 60 deps to 70

Spain 10 to 14

UK 33 to 39

Poland 8 to 10

Other Europe 9 to 7 with Marseille dropped.

I hope there is more to be added.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Lanzarote and Tenerife up to 3pw for winter.

Would have thought Porto was a year round destination though. Presume some announcements to come yet

Maybe Porto will become year round. Surprised Marseille has been dropped though I noticed Cork has lost Marseille for next winter too so maybe there is an overriding strategy going on.

• Advertisement

Bit of good news, it seems Aer Lingus will operate twice weekly to Paris during the World Cup. It would be great to see that route continue year round. It may be a scale that is viable...

Advertisement