Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Tiernster7

Anyone know anything about Transavia flight landing in Shannon earlier today.

You'd imagine Benelux connection is the airports biggest target. This is a dutch low cost airline with bases in Eindhoven ,Rotterdam & Amsterdam. Flight was from Bucharest , somewhere Transavia do not currently serve. May simple be being returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

They've had a few aircraft in recently for painting, I think there's currently 2 parked around the airfield before this one today.

Why is public transport between Galway city and Shannon airport so limited now ? It seems that citylink don't serve it at all now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

i dont know who u can blame for that,As city link its hardly worth coming into the airport for just a few people you would waste more time and fuel coming in that you would make of the few people that would be there.

Is transit limited to 51/51X ?

Mary Considine in Dail address mentioned pblic transport and Lufthansa Technik did same when announcing jobs.

Its certainly a limiting factor, I remember Paidrigh O'Ceidigh mentioning creating a shannon airport airways company, might a shannon public transport option to serve Galway and west Leinster better be a better idea ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I think a bit better reconfiguration of some current bus routes would help more than creating shannon airways. Its easier to get from nenagh to dublin airport by bus for example than it is to shannon. Could easily have better bus connections from both limerick and galway sides servicing both the industrial estate and airport together

Agree and that issue re Nenagh is a much closer contest then it should be from even Limerick.

There is some investment in rail at the moment. I've never believed and still don't that a line to the airport will occur but if as seems likely Cratloe train station proceeds maybe it would be in the airports interest to run a shuttle bus from that location to the airport , it would be approximately 15 minutes and maybe could be seen as a good option for those coming from east via Ballybrophy or Junction line as well as offering a slightly better service for Galway.

As I understand it , a station is under review for Ballysimon which may mean it is possible to change trains there and go towards Galway/Ennis. Increased frequency of the line would require infrastructure updates (passing loops) but this could be a way for the airport to support the line.

It's no wonder young people never even think about Shannon when going abroad. Someone needing a bus from Galway would spend almost the same amount of time on the 51 to Shanon as the citylink express to Dublin airport.

As far as Limerick city and County Clare the public transport is sufficient beyond it is not up to scratch and is holding back some demand at least.

I hope this issue is being looked at in a serious way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The fact that flights are generally priced cheaper ex DUB is a bigger factor than the transport issue. That and the fact that there are limited destinations and fewer weekly rotarions to those destinations from SNN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,296 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Another option is the train to Ennis and the 343 to Shannon. Not as handy timewise as direct obviously.

For the most part the bus services from Limerick to Shannon are very good. Could do with a little bit more frequency at night or a slight change in timetable as iirc the 343 and 51 almost arrived at the same time every hour at night.

I find all the train to Shannon talk is from people who would probably drive anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

The main reason more people from Nenagh and most other Munster areas use DUB rather than SNN is that it has over 180 direct flight destinations vs less than 50 in SNN. Can anyone here honestly say they'd choose a non direct flight with a multi hour transit layover elsewhere out of SNN vs a direct flight from DUB to the 130+ additional destinations you can fly direct to from DUB but not SNN? Public transport demand and services reflects that.

On the issue of price, unless a fare for a direct flight was €100 more out of SNN than DUB, I doubt SNN catchment area pax would chose DUB as it would hardly be worth it when you add up the fuel/fare/snacks/additional time etc to get to DUB which would offset any savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

Agreed. I wonder how many of the West of Ireland rail campaigners have ever used the train to get from Limerick to Galway apart from maybe a single symbolic journey (if that) when it first opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Deagol

I do it all the time. I fly via LHR rather than drive to Dublin. I'd much rather have an hour or two in a nice lounge with a free drink and some food than sit in my car for 3hrs each way plus traffic risk on M50.

Ive often done it too via heathrow from shannon and the same when i lived in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The Limerick - Galway X51 bus was much quicker than the train, so was a preferable public transport choice when it was available. The regular 51....well not so much. But it does include Shannon so I guess it's handy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The Citylink bus which goes to limerick is the fastest now, non stop, vs the 51 which batters down the road taking almost 4 and a half hours to get to cork.

The main issue with the 51 serving Shannon airport though is not the speed, but rather how late the busses start and how early they finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's a bit far in the future, so I can't check the flight, but what are the usual Shannon - Manchester flight dates/times in the Winter? Specifically Thursday - Saturday at the start of November. Also open to Liverpool, but that requires a bit more work upon landing with the train station not being in the airport.

Impossible to say, Manchester is 3 times per week this winter, but is moving to daily in the summer. I would hope for 5 days next winter.

Any update on how the airport is doing year to date. Cork and dublin are able release figures for each month and both up 2019 figures anything comparablw for shannon

• Advertisement

Vueling cutting shannon and cork from June :(

Disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ricimaki

That's a shame. Flew Paris to Shannon with them a few weeks ago, was very happy with them. Flight was busy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

could want the plane for somewhere busier,for the summers months.Musnt have had much interest in the places so when they are cutting them like that.Their deals /free trials prob expire after that.

Snn Management wont care anyway cause they will go look at all the extra ryanair flights we got, there is other airlines besides ryanair you know. every other airport can get different airlines in besides the regular 2 or 3 airlines Only Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

All Shannon seems to care about these days is the fact you can get from 'car to bar' in 5.5 mins. This is just an indictment at how quiet the airport is. I'd rather have queues for security with the option of several flights than speeding through a ghost airport.

Exactly yes shannon we all know by now no queues but people want flight. They also seem only interested in transatlantic. Not everyone wants to go to the states. While the ryanair flights are great they badly need to attract other european airlines. Cork have been someway successful in this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭McSween

Agreed. It is quick to get through but our TUI holiday is 600 cheaper going from Cork in July. Cheaper is better

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭tv221

Nice to see KLM training today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Looking at the Shannon to Chicago route over the the summer with United does anyone know what sort of plane is used on this service? Thanks

Advertisement