Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭cson

Super interesting given they cited profitability in 2017 as a reason for pulling out of that route.

They'll probably sell well in Polaris bringing wealthy Chicagoan's over to play golf though.

They'd have to put a B787 on it until the A321XLRs come online in 2024 (presuming their current batch of NEOs can't do it).

Unfortunately I think a B787 is too much plane for a PHL-SNN route and they'd make more money deploying it elsewhere. They just don't have an aircraft for that works for this specific mission I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

They had planned a 787 for 2020 before covid so may be an option again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

American has started taking delivery of new B787s again from August last after a long supply shortage, and hopes to have nine in service by year's end so maybe they'll have a larger and newer aircraft than the B757 for their SNN services next year.

Jason McGuinness from Ryanair spoke to Limerick Post, the 3rd a/c will be year round in Shannon. They are also planning to announce 2-3 more routes at the end of the year for Shannon. The current S23 is not yet finalized.

Hopefully more new routes to follow Ryanair and United

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Tiernster7

Thats great to hear press conference said min of 90 departures per week, currently about 77 so plenty of scope for more.

I really hope Benelux , Bristol or Germany are on the agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Bristol seems the most surprising omission given the only other Bristol service outside Dublin is at Knock!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭d1980

Great news all round...really is up to the public now to use the routes to keep what's there and attract more.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

American are not coming back. S23 was announced yesterday and no SNN. Unfortunately. Delta aren’t coming back either.

• Advertisement

I'm happy with the American portfolio. Getting Air Canada or American Airlines back and Newark going year round are probably realistic aims in 2024.

For Summer 2023 lets hope a European Hub route is secured, we've seen the talk about Amsterdam , its the most suitable too.

There does seem to be some wiggle room on what Aer Lingus have said for Shannon re Europe, they ruled out expansion in NA specifically. What are the chances of Vueling add in El Prat on a 2 day per week too.

The new Ryanair routes will be very welcome - Rome, Milan or Porto would also be great considering the baggage handling..

If I could pick 3 - Bristol, Hamburg and Rome Fiumicino would be the combination I'd like to see if Amsterdam went ahead.

Since SNN LHR is on a W leg from DUB in the afternoon, EI have scheduled the 320 NEO on EI385/6 during the winter. EI387/8 is still done by the 320 ceo and 380/1 done by one of the SNN 321 NEO before they go to Boston.

Does anyone know if any more routes will be announced for Shannon other than Ryanair? Are there any rumours

Only thing I'm aware of is Sciphol and the PSO.

Aer Lingus left a little bit of wiggle room in what they've said on Shannon for European destinations so its quite possible they would be the ones who'd take it up if PSO came off.

I don't see anything else really. I'd like to see Vueling add El Prat and maybe that will happen (mapping to what Aer Lingus had added pre pandemic) , does anyone know how Paris route is performing?

Id have no hope in EI doing anything out side of JFK BOS & LHR from SNN. The base closed as well so theyd have send even more crew down from DUB/ORK

I wouldn't expect large additional commitments, but if its a PSO it will probably be worth their while.

No matter who takes it up they are not going to have a base but its obviously easier for EI to service

I would have thought KLM myself, they have a more suitable aircraft and good connections in AMS. The 320 could be two large for SNN

Also hope the PSO doesn’t happen. No offence to SNN but it’s unfair on ORK and NOC and there routes.

I hope it's not KLM because it'll always be delayed

Cathal Crowe held a meeting last night in Shannon to get peoples thoughts on the new national aviation policy. Did anyone go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Any links to that National Aviation Policy.... did'nt see any PR on it

No not yet unfortunately. Hes only gathering peoples thoughts on it.

Shannons Ryanair hangar must be opening soon. 2 B738 are positioning from ALC/MRS today

Lots of Ryanair routes to Venice just announced, watch this space re SNN, it would make alot of sense and there are 2 to 3 routes outstanding

They are just moving them over from Treviso. VCE is also operated from ORK so cant see them doing it from SNN two

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

ORY now on sale for next summer on Weds and Sat

Well, that suits no one.

Times a bit better for connections on Wednesday but I'd agree the days are muck.

That said vueling dropped alot of destinations so it is good Shannon is hanging around with them

Ryanair are adding SNN Naples from March 2023. Twice weekly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

That will be popular. Wed and sat it seems. Now if someone bought me flights on that route as a christmas present i would be v happy.

Its great to see options for sun holidays from shannon if you want a change from the likes of Lanzarote etc. Heard good feedback about Malta which is seems to be continuing too

• Advertisement

Corfu is back two, They will make a nice change from the usual spots. Majorca etc

Another Greek destination would be nice for leisure travellers as well

Advertisement