Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Airport Thread [Mod Warning in First Post]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Norwegian could have gone bust by then anyhow so there could be no Providence

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Shn99 wrote: »
    Looks like PVD is being cut over the winter months unless its a mistake..

https://ibb.co/i3DBx7

If you notice, Newark is incorrectly entered also (has last year's end date) I'd wager that's last year's schedule with Providence entered incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

JCX BXC wrote: »
    If you notice, Newark is incorrectly entered also (has last year's end date) I'd wager that's last year's schedule with Providence entered incorrectly.

It wouldnt surprise me if it was cut though. 61% load in October and a 55% load in November..no stats for December yet.

Boston with Aer Lingus no longer bookable past 6th January.

Boston with Aer Lingus no longer bookable past 6th January.

Boston is being cut between Jan-March instead of New York.

• Advertisement

How interesting.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If that is true it's fierce disappointing. The Boston route was a key business link from Shannon and there will be a number of companies in the midwest very unhappy with this. It was a quick 4hr30 hop from Boston to Shannon during the Winter months and now there's a trek to Dublin or a connection via New York involved.

Norwegian have cut their Cork service to Providence during the Winter also. The transatlantic routes in Shannon appear to be quite marginal in Winter but I would've though the business customers would've helped with the Boston route.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Not a major surprise, I did say EI would consider taking up JFK (when UA news broke). BOS still performed poorly overall during the period of Jan-Mar.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Not a major surprise, I did say EI would consider taking up JFK (when UA news broke). BOS still performed poorly overall during the period of Jan-Mar.

Did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Did you?

Well I diffidently taught EI would prehaps not suspend JFK over the period. Its rather logical.

On a general note, I don't know how BOS make them money over that period anyway, loads were not great. I always felt it was a case of which lost less but that is just an opinion and not based on any facts.

Now if they were making any sort of loss moving to JFK would be a no brainier because its better in terms of traffic year round and would imagine JetBlue hub is better in terms on connectivity. UA gone is the icing on the cake.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/CorkAirport/status/981293481422479360

Cork Airport statement says that Norwegian are reducing operations to PVD from Shannon during the winter along with operations at several other airports. Given loads this is of absolutely no surprise.

Shannon - Providence is cut according to the Irish Examiner
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cork-loses-norwegian-us-flights-for-winter-469095.html
    Norwegian’s review has also resulted in the suspension of its Shannon and Edinburgh routes to Providence this winter.

Confirmed just shortly after Aer Lingus have decided to cut their Boston service.

Various thoughts on this recent mixup:

1). Now we'll have no flights to the Boston area between JAN and MAR , whereas we had 2 all year round up to then.

2). Will Stewart stay? If so, we'll have JFK and Stewart competiting, whereas it was only Stewart this winter.

3). How unusual to have such an upgrade to 4x weekly Providence and then cut for winter.

It seems like both airlines cut the routes they had competition on, and now they're in compeition on the one they expected to have little compeition on.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised at another shakeup.
    And on a positive note, Philadelphia resumes tomorrow, a month early.

"However, Shannon Airport has confirmed that Norwegian's service to Stewart International Airport, Orange County – just 90 minutes from New York - will expand from three to four for Winter 2018/19."

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/305971/low-cost-norwegian-us-route-from-shannon-to-be-suspended-for-winter-season.html

So, we maintain the exact same capacity as last winter, it just all moves to New York, as opposed to mostly Boston.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

"However, Shannon Airport has confirmed that Norwegian's service to Stewart International Airport, Orange County – just 90 minutes from New York - will expand from three to four for Winter 2018/19."

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/305971/low-cost-norwegian-us-route-from-shannon-to-be-suspended-for-winter-season.html

Woo hoo Orange County Choppers and PJD, just minutes away.

Shannon - Providence is cut according to the Irish Examiner
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cork-loses-norwegian-us-flights-for-winter-469095.html

Confirmed just shortly after Aer Lingus have decided to cut their Boston service.

Various thoughts on this recent mixup:

1). Now we'll have no flights to the Boston area between JAN and MAR , whereas we had 2 all year round up to then.

2). Will Stewart stay? If so, we'll have JFK and Stewart competiting, whereas it was only Stewart this winter.

3). How unusual to have such an upgrade to 4x weekly Providence and then cut for winter.

It seems like both airlines cut the routes they had competition on, and now they're in compeition on the one they expected to have little compeition on.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised at another shakeup.
    And on a positive note, Philadelphia resumes tomorrow, a month early.

Perhaps a 3x to BOS and a 4x to JFK, EI Have begun releasing the summer schedule already so id assume SNN mgmt are begging for a last minute change up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

See ryanair announced a flight from cork for the munster match none from shannon..thought shannon would have demand for one

See ryanair announced a flight from cork for the munster match none from shannon..thought shannon would have demand for one

Ah some go from Shannon too occasionally, I don't think there's rhyme nor rythm to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Killester travel are running a day return and an overnight from shannon for the semi, not sure who is running the flights but there not scheduled obviously

Perhaps a 3x to BOS and a 4x to JFK, EI Have begun releasing the summer (winter?) schedule already so id assume SNN mgmt are begging for a last minute change up

Perhaps, however I'd point out that's what we were looking for last winter too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Ah some go from Shannon too occasionally, I don't think there's rhyme nor rythm to it.

You'd think the airport would lay on charters what with them being sponsors of Munster

You'd think the airport would lay on charters what with them being sponsors of Munster

The airport isnt an airline, the best thing the airport can do is beg an airline to do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Killester are the official travel agents for Munster Rugby. I'm surprised that Ryanair didn't put on at least one flight from Shannon.

Still no CSO stats for december, does it usually take this long?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Still no CSO stats for december, does it usually take this long?

Yep, takes about three months to be released.

There were two diversions this week to Shannon.

Air France flight from Paris to Boston on Friday.

United Airlines flight from Washington to Paris on Wednesday.

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for February are out.

The numbers for Gatwick are not yet released.

Edinburgh's scheduled passenger numbers are actually up, the total number is down due no charter this year.

447586.png

The UK Airport Provisional Statistics for February are out.

The numbers for Gatwick are not yet released.

Edinburgh's scheduled passenger numbers are actually up, the total number is down due no charter this year.

447586.png

good to see growth for the first 2 months of the year, long may it last

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Drive-in cinema at the airport in two weeks time.

https://www.retrodrivein.ie/shannon

Can’t decide if it’s a clever way to make
    money from a car park that’s not used (assuming it’s one of the closed Long Terms) or they are just throwing the kitchen sink in attempts to make money.

Does anyone know where the screen is going?

Advertisement