Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Good luck on Sunday - hope it all comes together for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Will be tracking with interest. I really hope it goes well for you. Not just because of the great training you've been putting in, but also selfishly as we are neck and neck pace wise (6:44 yesterday pace for me on the P&D 7 mile LT) and we're both toying with 3:19. What's your race-fueling strategy looking like?

Best of luck man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best of luck on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

outforarun wrote: »
    Will be tracking with interest. I really hope it goes well for you. Not just because of the great training you've been putting in, but also selfishly as we are neck and neck pace wise (6:44 yesterday pace for me on the P&D 7 mile LT) and we're both toying with 3:19. What's your race-fueling strategy looking like?

Best of luck man.

Cheers OFR, I've been enjoying your log lately because as you say were well matched, you run the same routes as me too it seems just 12 hours earlier in the day than me! For fueling I'm going with the approach of fuel early and fuel often, I'll have 3-4 gels before halfway as I think they are no use at 18+ miles when the damage is done, luckily I seem to be able to stomach isogels fairly ok. I'll also take some salt tabs and drink water to thirst. I know I'll probably have to deal with cramp at some point so I'm calm about that and will be careful not to panic if it happens.
    Well dome on that LT session too, it's a bit of a beast and with a proper taper indicates you are well fit to go under 1.30 in the half.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Super run today.
    Very well done.

• Advertisement

What a day. What a marathon. I just ran today by now I felt and the Garmin was secondary, risky but thankfully it paid off. I'll do a report in the next day or two but I think a lot of it may have passed me by!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

What a day. What a marathon. I just ran today by now I felt and the Garmin was secondary, risky but thankfully it paid off. I'll do a report in the next day or two but I think a lot of it may have passed me by!!

Well done OP!!

Cracking time. You must be thrilled. Well done. I saw your time and wondered what your strategy was: did you aim for 3:19 realise after halfway that you were well inside your comfort zone and then started upping the pace, testing the waters. Or did you decide on the start-line to go for 3:14 and just fall short. Reading your post above it seems it was a very off the cuff run by feel - but surely you must have been glancing at the Garmin throughout. Brave approach. How many gels did you take in the end? You've left me with no choice but to have a crack at sub 3:20 now.

You've left me with no choice but to have a crack at sub 3:20 now.

No bother to you!

Cracking time. You must be thrilled. Well done. I saw your time and wondered what your strategy was: did you aim for 3:19 realise after halfway that you were well inside your comfort zone and then started upping the pace, testing the waters. Or did you decide on the start-line to go for 3:14 and just fall short. Reading your post above it seems it was a very off the cuff run by feel - but surely you must have been glancing at the Garmin throughout. Brave approach. How many gels did you take in the end? You've left me with no choice but to have a crack at sub 3:20 now.

Cheers OFR im genuinely delighted and surprised in equaI measure. I was going over and back in my head (and actually really wrecking my head with it if I'm honest) about what to aim for in the last few days and weeks, sub 3.20, maybe aim for 3.18 for wiggle room if it goes wrong, feck it go for 3.15, if the wheels come off they come off. I just couldn't decide so in the end i said I'd see what felt manageable in the first 5 and try to hold it as long as I could. I know what running the first 16 miles of a marathon too fast feels like through bad experience so I had a bit of a reference to go off. I just kept it steady early on, made sure I felt comfortable to half way and didn't exert myself breathing wise. I found the first half tough, more mentally than anything, even though its the faster half as I just wanted to get it out of the way so I could get stuck into mile 14-20. Tower bridge at 13 had to be experienced to be believed. One I got past 15 miles and felt in one piece I knew I was on for a good day. I still had no designs on a time but was using a 3.20 pace band as a ref each mile so knew I had some time to spare, I had a 3.15 one on too and gave it a glance for the first time at 18 miles but I looked 2 ish mins off if I remember so forgot about it. Once we got to 22 miles it took everything I had just to maintain pace and cramp was setting in in my hamstrings, I had to stop for about 30secs at 23 miles for a stretch as they gave up on me but thankfully I got going. The last few miles are a blur, I was moving well, there could have been a sub 7 mile in there, I'm not sure but I was hurting at this stage. I sprinted as hard as I ever have past big Ben and down the mall and was very close to puking when I crossed, I didnt actually know I'd run 3.15 until I checked the watch! I ran pretty even splits throughout, in and around 7.23 a mile and whilst I kept an eye on the garmin I didn't let it dictate my pace particurlarly early on, all bets were off after 20! Gels at 4,8,12,16,20 along with salt. I also ran the entire thing completely soaked (I mean drenched) to combat the heat and have some huge blisters as a result but alls well that ends well. It was an unreal experience on the day and to be passing swathes and swathes of people in that setting, along the embankment, knowing I was close to my limit but just about holding on is some feeling. Its all a blur now though and the day did pass me by in many ways but to run 3.15 is a massive thing for me personally and something I never felt I had in me. I really think that just going out and forgetting about goal times, giving it socks and not letting the Garmin be boss worked out well for me. I was lucky i had a good day though as im sure i would have panicked if i couldn't hit a good pace or close to it in those early miles. Overall expectations were well and truly exceeded!

• Advertisement

yaboya1 wrote: »
    No bother to you!

Absolutely, you're well capable and more

How did Mrs O get on?

How did Mrs O get on?

She tipped around in 4.25, 10 slower than her pb with a gammy knee. She reckons she probably shouldn't have run it and is paying for it today today though, there is even talk of triathlon training as a break (from her, not me!!) She remember the entire thing and had good craic with the support which I'm a bit jealous of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Cheers OFR im genuinely delighted and surprised in equaI measure. I was going over and back in my head (and actually really wrecking my head with it if I'm honest) about what to aim for in the last few days and weeks, sub 3.20, maybe aim for 3.18 for wiggle room if it goes wrong, feck it go for 3.15, if the wheels come off they come off. I just couldn't decide so in the end i said I'd see what felt manageable in the first 5 and try to hold it as long as I could. I know what running the first 16 miles of a marathon too fast feels like through bad experience so I had a bit of a reference to go off. I just kept it steady early on, made sure I felt comfortable to half way and didn't exert myself breathing wise. I found the first half tough, more mentally than anything, even though its the faster half as I just wanted to get it out of the way so I could get stuck into mile 14-20. Tower bridge at 13 had to be experienced to be believed. One I got past 15 miles and felt in one piece I knew I was on for a good day. I still had no designs on a time but was using a 3.20 pace band as a ref each mile so knew I had some time to spare, I had a 3.15 one on too and gave it a glance for the first time at 18 miles but I looked 2 ish mins off if I remember so forgot about it. Once we got to 22 miles it took everything I had just to maintain pace and cramp was setting in in my hamstrings, I had to stop for about 30secs at 23 miles for a stretch as they gave up on me but thankfully I got going. The last few miles are a blur, I was moving well, there could have been a sub 7 mile in there, I'm not sure but I was hurting at this stage. I sprinted as hard as I ever have past big Ben and down the mall and was very close to puking when I crossed, I didnt actually know I'd run 3.15 until I checked the watch! I ran pretty even splits throughout, in and around 7.23 a mile and whilst I kept an eye on the garmin I didn't let it dictate my pace particurlarly early on, all bets were off after 20! Gels at 4,8,12,16,20 along with salt. I also ran the entire thing completely soaked (I mean drenched) to combat the heat and have some huge blisters as a result but alls well that ends well. It was an unreal experience on the day and to be passing swathes and swathes of people in that setting, along the embankment, knowing I was close to my limit but just about holding on is some feeling. Its all a blur now though and the day did pass me by in many ways but to run 3.15 is a massive thing for me personally and something I never felt I had in me. I really think that just going out and forgetting about goal times, giving it socks and not letting the Garmin be boss worked out well for me. I was lucky i had a good day though as im sure i would have panicked if i couldn't hit a good pace or close to it in those early miles. Overall expectations were well and truly exceeded!

great post. well done again.

The last few miles are a blur, I was moving well, there could have been a sub 7 mile in there, I'm not sure but I was hurting at this stage. I sprinted as hard as I ever have past big Ben and down the mall and was very close to puking when I crossed,

Wow, ballsy stuff. Well done.
    whilst I kept an eye on the garmin I didn't let it dictate my pace particurlarly early on

I'll probably deviate from you there and I will let the Garmin drive my pace early on.
    Gels at 4,8,12,16,20 along with salt.

I think I will be copying this strategy (gels I use have high sodium to cover salt requirements).

Well done again on a fantastic run.

I just got back today and sat down tonight with a couple of ales (not back in work until Thursday, which is probably my best idea yet!) to watch a stream of the race, I can remember basically nothing of the course which is a bit disapoining apart from a few bits and pieces, mad how the mind works.

Here's a garmin connect link in case anyone is interested, looks like I was going well from mile 22 on, with a cramp stop of 30 odd secs in mile 23 and a piss stop of a bit longer in mile 1:o sub 3.15 maybe was on unbeknownst to me, not that Im bothered.
    I do remember getting excited around mile 22 as I caught the 3.15 pacer out of nowhere but he was in a heap and well off pace so that was short lived.
    I forgot to mention seeing Kipsang and Biwott at 14(?) miles for me as they hit 22 odd just after Kipsang made his break, it was a sight to behold and those lads can move. Farrah passed about 60-90 secs later with a wave of noise following him up the road, he looked in a mess relative to the others.
    Legs are still sore but i may try 20-30 mins Saturday morning if they thaw out somewhat before then.

I'll probably deviate from you there and I will let the Garmin drive my pace early on.

I reckon I would have done similar if I hadn't hit my hopeful paces at that stage, as you can imagine its easier to ignore the watch if its going to plan, I would have been reliant on it more if I wasn't up to speed and had to work harder early on, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great race OP. Well done. Parts of it were a bit of a blur for me too but it's an incredible event. One which I won't forget any time soon.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Great race OP. Well done. Parts of it were a bit of a blur for me too but it's an incredible event. One which I won't forget any time soon.

Cheers RR, same to you, seems I missed you in the Coal Hole, I should have just introduced myself to more people but I always feel odd opening with an internet alias!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Link doesn't work

• Advertisement

That's odd, works for me, sure try this one! Its not marked as private or something is it?

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/479344071

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

That's odd, works for me, sure try this one! Its not marked as private or something is it?

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/479344071
    It was just coming up as a blank garmin page. That one works though - deadly pacing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

What's the elevation spike? Did you go up on the London eye going around? Even more impressive!

Beef wrote: »
    What's the elevation spike? Did you go up on the London eye going around? Even more impressive!

Ha yeah, it kinda looks like i went a wrong turn up the eye alright! I think the Garmin threw a wobbler around canary wharf with the skyscrapers so was a bit wonky for a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Great stuff O.P.,just got around to reading your review now.You must be over the moon.Hoping for a similar time in limerick on may 4th myself.Again,well done.

Cheers KL, the best of luck with Limerick. How's the training been going, legs holding up?

Cheers KL, the best of luck with Limerick. How's the training been going, legs holding up?
    Training has gone very well.I have more or less hit all my targets,legs holding up well,no niggles of any sort,(touch wood).My only down fall is the beer on a sat night.:p,I keep kidding myself,you have just done a 22mile run and you deserve it.

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Training has gone very well.I have more or less hit all my targets,legs holding up well,no niggles of any sort,(touch wood).My only down fall is the beer on a sat night.:p,I keep kidding myself,you have just done a 22mile run and you deserve it.

You do :)
    Maybe hold off now until after the race though. You'll enjoy it more and won't feel guilty then ;)

You do :)
    Maybe hold off now until after the race though. You'll enjoy it more and won't feel guilty then ;)
    Think I will,stayed away from it the two Saturdays before Dublin aswell and to say I enjoyed the pints that night is a major understatement.:PI sound like a alco yet I only drink once a week,or four times a month or 48 times a year.GOD ID LOVE A PINT.:)

• Advertisement

I was the same, never fully gave up the beer but kept it to no more than a few at the weekend. Was out for dinner with friends the week before London and had 4 pints, I did feel guilty though. I think a stretch of 6-8 weeks off before would see good benefits in fairness, no brainer really!

Got out for my first run since London this morning, 4 nice sunny easy miles. The legs felt great apart from one or two little spots that are still a bit tender. I'll do maybe 6 miles tomorrow, very easy again.

Advertisement