Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

outforarun wrote: »
    I've been meaning to try this for some time now. Must be great in nice weather. And could be a real tasty challenge in high winds and rain.

Yeah its really nice, you should try it. There are parts in the middle where you'e just completely surrounded by flat open ground for at least half a mile in each direction, pretty cool for the centre of Dublin, lots of deer out there too. Id say its very bleak in bad weather!

Monday: 7 miles steady
    After last weeks mostly easy running Monday was a steadier run, I started out with one mile easy and the next 6 I gradually progressed down to the last mile in something approaching HM pace, it felt very relaxed and I made sure to never strain, overall average pace 7.36

Tuesday: Session 6x1k, 9.5 mile session.
    The week in the lead up to DLR I did 5x1k to dip my toe back into some speed, so to progress from that session I did 6x1k. The legs felt really lethargic in the warmup miles probably due to the long run and steady run on consecutive days and I considered knocking this one on the head right up to he point I started the first rep! It went grand in the end, splits were

3.37 (5.55)
    3.44 (6.07)
    3.41 (6.02)
    3.45 (6.09)
    3.40 (6.00)
    3.44 (6.07)

I was happy with this session as I was running controlled and I felt I could have done another couple of reps when I was finished, maybe the 2 mins rest between reps is a being generous?

Wednesday 4 miles recovey
    Nothing fancy, 4 miles easy to shake off the session and the legs felt tired but not too sore, just short of 9 min pace here.

Thursday 10 miles easy
    Into the phoenix park once again for a gentle 10 miles last night. The pace picked up a bit over the second five miles which was as much down to some downhill as anything but I was careful to never let it go beyond easy feeling. I felt surprisingly fresh once this ended, 8.08 pace and just over 80 mins.

Ill take tonight as rest before 14-16 miles LSR on Saturday. The Frank Duffy 10 miler is next week and I don't think I have ever been less fussed about how I go in a race! I think I'll still do a solid 10k session early in the week and train through this but if nothing else it should be good for some speed endurace (been neglecting tempo runs completely) ahead of the Dublin half.

Saturday 16 mile LSR
    I got my longest run in a while done on Saturday morning, 16 miles in and around Kilmainham, Ballyfermot and some really enjoyable out and back miles along the grand canal path as far as Grange Castle. The pace was nice and handy, 8.20 and it was good to get this in without much fuss.

Sunday 4 miles recovery
    After loads of food and even more wine Saturday night I was glad to get out with the better half for some easy miles this evening. 4 miles at about 10 minute pace to just nudge the weekly mileage up to 51.

Monday 10k session
    After a couple of 5k paced sessions over the last couple of weeks my haphazard training continued this week with a 10k paced session, 2x2 miles and then 1 mile all at 10k pace. I kept the session "work" at 5 miles as I felt that my last injury was down to overstretching on previous McMillan sessions, i.e stepping up to doing sessions with 6 mile of work without building towards the sessions. I had done 6k of work at a shade quicker than 5k pace last week so I thought 5 miles at 10k pace would be sensible progression. The reps were

2 miles ave pace 6.20
    2 miles ave pace 6.19
    1 mile ave pace 6.12

Rep 1 was surprisingly comfortable and I was even thinking the 5 mins jog recovery was too much but I realised in the second rep that it was probably correct as the last half mile or so of the that second rep was tough going. Psychologically only having 1 mile as the last rep made it easier to push on and I was happy to get under 10k pace for this. I'm happy with this session as I think I could have done the last rep as a 2 miler if I needed to, it would definitely have been tough, but doable so I think it a decent indicator of 10k shape.

No running Tuesday as I was down in Cork all day and got back late, Wednesday I got out for an easy 6.5 miles, 8.25 pace and thankfully the legs felt good.
    Thursday at the last minute I had to head down to Wexford for the day and got back late again so I've basically had an unplanned mini taper for the Frank Duffy 10 miler on Saturday. Im not too annoyed with the poor week so far as the trips were unplanned and completely unavoidable.
    Friday I'll do a few miles easy with strides to wake up the legs ahead of Saturday. My PB is 68.4X so it would be nice to go 67 and maybe even 66. Id be happy enough with either but will probably target 66.xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

That's a good session I did the same session on Wednesday, I did 2x2,2x1 I found it hard to keep the pace up on the last two singles. To do the last one the fastest is good going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck tomorrow OP, target time is very doable, i'd even say 65.xx will be ran tomorrow.

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow OP, target time is very doable, i'd even say 65.xx will be ran tomorrow.

Cheers tang, 65 would be sweet but I think its a bit beyond me yet, Ill give 66 a good go though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Cheers tang, 65 would be sweet but I think its a bit beyond me yet, Ill give 66 a good go though!

Not sure about that.
    We'll find out tomorrow.
    Best of luck :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best of luck tomorrow OP

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Good stuff this morning.
    Well done.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Good stuff this morning.
    Well done.

Cheers Yaboya, 66.4x, glad to get this much as I had a tough day, last 2 miles were a killer!

Cheers Yaboya, 66.4x, glad to get this much as I had a tough day, last 2 miles were a killer!

Great running OP, well done. Nice PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great result OP . Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Well done, that's a great time. I hate the last 2 mies of that course. You're really raising the bar at the moment. Looking forward to the report. Oh and that 2x2+1 10K session is definitely one I'd try, I can see how psychologically the last rep isn't so daunting and gives you scope to really push at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DOCO12

Savage time, well done

I haven't had a chance to do up a report until now but here is what I can remember!

Miles 1-4
    I went into this one not too bothered with how I did but in saying that I knew id give it a good go in the days leading up. The plan was to run sub 66.30 and maybe 65 as a very long shot if things went well but it didn't quite turn out that way.
    I lined up at the start in a decent enough position and once we set off I hit 6.40 pace fairly handily and all was good. I really should have pushed on a bit here to bank some time as it felt so easy but I probably overestimated the drag up the North road in my own mind and held back. As we turned onto the North road I felt great and was cruising, taking it far too easy up to Castleknock in retrospect.Splits 6.39,6.47,6.49,6.43
    Miles 5-8
    At this stage I actually copped on that I really had to claw some time back. I consciously pushed on helped by the downhill and by the time we came through mile 6 I said Id try and hold the effort I was at and try to get away without blowing up.Splits 6.35,6.27,6.28,6.26
    Miles 9&10
    As we left the park I knew I was in trouble. I struggled with the wind along the Chapelizod road and turning back into the park for the drag I just had nothing in the legs. I was passed by a bloke in a triathlon onesie just at the bottom of the hill so I made it my goal to take him. I managed to pass him just before we went under the Irish independent sign and my mile split here was 6.58:mad: #blowup. I knew that sub 67 was at risk here so I put the head down and by the time we hit the furze road I was moving a bit faster but my left leg had started to cramp up, in a 10 miler!, disaster. I managed to hold it off and mustered an all out effort for the length of the furze road to get in under 67.
    That closing 2 mile stretch was extremely difficult not helped by stupid pacing and checking out my pictures online I look completely fooked!
    Splits 6.58,6.39 Chip time 66.43

Mixed feeling really, glad to PB but ran it badly I felt. In saying that I don't think I was in 65 shape judging by how I felt so I probably ran what I was capable of, give or take a few seconds. It puts me at 1.28.5x for the half so I'm just gonna hedge my bets and run with the 1.30 pacers and hopefully get the job done with a more conservative approach.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/571605492

If you ran it badly and still pb'd, I'm looking forward to the next race you run well ;)

If you ran it badly and still pb'd, I'm looking forward to the next race you run well ;)

Ha yeah you're right actually, It can't have been too bad and I should be delighted. I suppose I just wanted another 20 seconds or so! :pac::pac:

Ha yeah you're right actually, It can't have been too bad and I should be delighted. I suppose I just wanted another 20 seconds or so! :pac::pac:

Next time......although it will be more than 20 seconds. Sub 65 is my guess.

• Advertisement

After The Frank Duffy I took the Sunday and Monday off, Sunday as I was wrecked and sore legs put paid to any running. Monday was an unplanned rest day as a last minute trip to Croker on Sunday resulted in too many pints and a ropey Monday overall.

Tuesday 10.6 miles easy 8.27 pace
    I did alot of this on grass in the PP and had company for the first 7, I was feeling pretty good at the end so I tacked on another 3 for the 10.

Wednesday 7.1 miles easy 8.31 pace
    Just an easy 60 minutes on a really drizzly night, nice run and felt good.

Thursday 3x2miles @10k pace 11.3 miles total
    This was the famous final McMillan 10k session and despite dreading it all day at work it actually was fairly ok. 5 mins jog between reps. Splits were
    Miles 1&2 12.39 (6.20 pace)
    Miles 3&4 12.33 (6.17 pace)
    Miles 5&6 12.42 (6.21 pace)
    As usual I did these up on the acres lap in the phoenix park and the wind was especially cruel and swirling that night so I was really glad to hold pace. Rep 1 was grand but I was working into the wind over the last half mile. Rep 2 was the toughest by far as I had a full mile into the gale and I had to be on my toes to keep pace. The legs felt very heavy starting the last one but I just put the head down and managed to finish the session out strongly, definitely easier as I knew it was the last rep. A difficult session but strangely satisfying, particularly as I managed it with the tough race from last Saturday still in the legs.

Friday 4.3 miles 8.33 pace
    I wanted to do this at 9 min miles+ as a recovery jog but the rain was so bad that I sped up to get home, a really horrible evening! The legs were really tired after the session but not too sore so I was happy enough

Sunday 16 miles LSR 8.48 pace
    I jumped in with a couple of lads from Team Carrie in Dunleer again for this one. After taking Saturday off I was hoping the legs would be in ok shape but I was fairly tired all through the run so I was happy that the pace was really easy on a lovely sunny morning. The route was a solid uphill for the last 10k so I was glad when it was over but it was great doing a long run with company.

I'm happy with a solid week overall, just over 49 miles with a decent session and long run. Bleesington 10k this Saturday so it will be an easy week, I may do a mini session on Tuesday to keep me ticking over depending on how i feel but im 50/50 on it. Really looking forward to the race as I've heard great things.

Tuesday 8 easy 8.15 pace
    I took Monday off and headed for the phoenix park last night. I was thinking about a small session ahead of the race Saturday but I decided against it, I've a small niggle in my hip these last few days, nothing too bad but I don't want to aggravate it so ill run easy and do some strides over the next 3 days. I stuck to the trails and grass for a nice 8 easy miles, felt lethargic at the start but shook it off as I went. It was the calmest evening I can remember up there in weeks and weeks, not a breath of wind and I enjoyed this one, the evenings are drawing in so there's not many of these runs left for the year.

Well done on that last McMillan session. He promises that if you complete that session then you will hit that pace in the race. By my calculations based on that run you're due in in 39:15 at 3:55 min/km. (I managed that pace in Fingal but the racing line had me finishing in 39:41).

What's the strategy/target Saturday?

outforarun wrote: »
    Well done on that last McMillan session. He promises that if you complete that session then you will hit that pace in the race. By my calculations based on that run you're due in in 39:15 at 3:55 min/km. (I managed that pace in Fingal but the racing line had me finishing in 39:41).

What's the strategy/target Saturday?

At the moment I'm thinking that I'm going to try to hold something approaching 6.20 pace for the first two miles and see how I'm going from there. The goals in ascending order are to get under 40 again at a minimum, after that to break the PB (39.55) and if I have a good day to get under 39.30 if I can. I'm under no illusions though, sub 40 is tough so everything after that is a bonus!
    What are your thoughts on the course, there is a bit of a hill at 7kish but otherwise ok? How are you feeling about it, you're hitting for sub 39 right? The speed is there anyway.

At the moment I'm thinking that I'm going to try to hold something approaching 6.20 pace for the first two miles and see how I'm going from there. The goals in ascending order are to get under 40 again at a minimum, after that to break the PB (39.55) and if I have a good day to get under 39.30 if I can. I'm under no illusions though, sub 40 is tough so everything after that is a bonus!
    What are your thoughts on the course, there is a bit of a hill at 7kish but otherwise ok? How are you feeling about it, you're hitting for sub 39 right? The speed is there anyway.

Touch-wood and if all goes right on the day I'd say you'll definitely go under the 40:00 and I'd have my money on you getting a PB.

Here's my race report from last year's race and it carries a Garmin link.

A year has passed but I remember the first 6.5K as being either flat or slightly downhill. I remember the hill at 6.5K being very challenging. After the hill there's a gorgeous downhill which should allow you recover time lost on the hill. Then there's a little drag at 9 or 10K.

Overall I think it's a fair course.

Yeah I'm shooting for sub 39. If the stars align on the day I might just do it. But I'm not brimming with confidence.

< 39:00 = Gold
    < 39:30 = Silver
    < 39:41 = Bronze
    < 40:00 = Consolation

I think you're being a bit pessimistic tbh. I know nothing about the course. but judging on the McMillan session you did in tough conditions last week I'd expect you to go sub 39. I know OFAR says it predicts 39:15, but in a race environment I think you'll go faster.
    Good luck! :)

I think you're being a bit pessimistic tbh. I know nothing about the course. but judging on the McMillan session you did in tough conditions last week I'd expect you to go sub 39. I know OFAR says it predicts 39:15, but in a race environment I think you'll go faster.
    Good luck! :)

Cheers yaboya, always love your optimism, something I need more of I think when it comes to racing! Will give it all a serious lash, plenty of people from here to try and chase anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best of luck tomorrow. Your training has been fantastic. Will catch up with you there :)

Good luck tomorrow OP.
    I'm expecting a sprint finish between yourself & OFAR as you both sail in under 39 :)

• Advertisement

Best of luck tomorrow OP.

Advertisement