Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭RetroEncabulator

People really need to stop assuming that everything's "reselling Eir." It's not!

Ireland has three fibre access networks: OpenEir, Siro and NBI.

All 3 of them essentially do the same thing, provide access to people's homes / business premises over fibre access networks.

Traffic is passed over to the ISP and they take it from there.

Each ISP (including Eir's retail division) has their own infrastructure that provides national connectivity, peering (interconnection) and international connectivity. They may also inject other services like IPTV and VoIP telephony into their own managed networks.

The individual ISPs use combinations of their own infrastructure and network capacity leased from various companies to provide that. There are major national and international fibre connectivity either as a managed wholesale services or as dark / unlit fibre. Some of those are names you'd recognise like Eir, Vodafone, Virgin Media, BT Ireland, ESB Telecoms, Ervia, Verizon, Telia, Orange etc etc, some you won't have ever heard of, particularly the ones that provide fibre capacity internationally.

ISPs assemble their services based on a whole combination of infrastructure, data centres and so on. Some own most of it (e.g. Eir and Virgin in particular) others lease most of it.

There can be significant differences in quality of services between ISPs because of how their backhaul and international connectivity works, how much capacity they have in place and so on.

Eir's retail division has a history of customer service issues, but from a technical point of view it's absolutely excellent as an ISP, just pray you never have to get support! Digiweb seems to be absolutely excellent, but it's nothing to do with Eir. You need to read reviews and so on before picking your ISP.

(And we've Virgin Media (and a few other tiny cable operators) providing cable (CATV) based services, which are becoming more and more like fibre and stepping towards FTTH. Virgin has opened its network, but only so far has one user : Vodafone.)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Virgin has opened its network, but only so far has one user : Vodafone.

The reason Virgin only has one user is that it has only opened its network to one user. The other three are open access wholesale providers. Virgin isn't (yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I've said this numerous times and gotten berated for saying it, I was told there was only one routing route used in Ireland, end of, which we know isn't true. Nice to see you got 2 thanks for your post and no abuse which is certainly a lot more than I got. I agree 100% that Eir's actual service is top class but badly let down by dreadful support, they've always had terrible support unfortunately. I've also been with Digiweb who, in my opinion are the best out there. In saying that the best company I ever had BB with were called Homevision, unfortunately they went bust as everyone was still on ADSL and they had a lovely TV package available but nobody could use it.

Hard to know what their plans are with that - Virgin itself is beginning to offer service over Siro, Eir retail now offers service over NBI too.

Are VM using siro? I haven't seen it as an option when checking known siro addresses, I think Eir were always a retailer on NBI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Had a guy from Voda at my door the other day......a couple of weeks after I gave Voda the boot. Wanted to know who I moved to and how much I was paying, well you can guess my answer to that. I told him it was the Siro fibre I was using but not the actual supplier I was with. When he heard Siro he told me that they (Siro) were now owned by Voda. I have no idea if that is true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Glaceon

It's a joint venture between Vodafone and ESB Networks.

VM has just begun to use Siro. It’ll be more commercially available soon. TV box is a version of TV360 delivered over Ethernet.

Also VM Ireland seems to be abandoning the complexities of converting from fibre to coax at the premises and have been installing normal FFTH with IPTV. They're no longer part of VM UK since the Telefonica merger, so seem to be diverging tech again.

Kinda hard to know wheee VM Ireland will end up. Liberty seems to be in a bit of a merger / sell off mode for the last few years. You could see them attempt to offload it to a telco like Vodafone…

It definitely is more sensible to go the standard ftth route, who knows what will happen in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

How do I find my Siro account number? Digiweb are insisting it’s on my bill as UAN but Sky keep rejecting it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,388 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

My Vodafone bill has an Account Number, a UAN and a Circuit Reference Number. It was the last of these that sky needed to change service...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Does it start with SI? Something like SIDW0001234. That's the account number you need to switch.

Nope, they keep insisting that UAN: 600012345 is what I need to switch. They haven’t got it published on their bills. Missed out on an offer with virgin media because of them

I moved from digiweb to VM I didn't need anything from digiweb to move as they're two completely separate systems.

I found digiweb quite difficult to deal with and were very curt on the phone, they accused me of breaking my contract which I didn't. Btw they charge 100 plus vat if you break the contract and as soon as your introductory offer is over they charge full whack to the day. I got my 100 back but got stung for full money for the days out of the Introductory rate, I was glad to get away from them.

This is Virgin media through SIRO fibre though. Im in Roscrea. Thurles and Clonmel are the only towns here that have the actual cable network.

Oh, sorry I'm on the cable system, that's a disaster that they're messing you around like that. Would contacting siro themselves be of any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I just checked my Vodafone SIRO bill and it is listed as UAN SIVFXXXXXX (6numbers) but my older digiweb invoice shows it as 60000XXXXX. Digiweb should be able to see a SIDW number and provide you with that. Sky do often make a hayms of porting too though so hard to know which is right. I've always found Digiweb support excellent but I never ported with SIRO, just two separate accounts and providers when I moved house.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 gijoees

Hi,

I have been back and forth with

Vodafone for my house broadband to change name as my house mate is moving out.The email address is sending me to the Vodafone store and vice versa and it has proven to be a difficult process.

Any ideas or what is the best approach? I have considered cancelling completely but there is an exit fee of €250 which I am definitely not paying. 

Thanks in advance and if there is a forum already available to discuss this, I would greatly appreciate been pointed in their direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,388 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ring 1907 or message them on twitter and ask them to reach out to you directly.

Or just leave the broadband in your housemate's name until end of contract, and get them to cancel when it's up?

I'd also just leave it in the housemates name but get the UAN and CRN/phone number off him in advance and just switch provider once the contract is up. They did have the change of ownership form online before though. It's probably still there only that the site is horrendous

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how SIRO roll out works? We are looking at moving into a place that is under 2km across the road from our address (current address has SIRO) new address doesn't have it. It's an older house and can only get 100mb offers, been spoilt with SIRO in current address and would love to see about getting it in new address.

Like most things in Ireland, a mystery, they might never go to that address.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RDWRER_

Anyone in the know able to help me with who to contact to clear a logjam somewhere in the FTTH bureaucracy?

Bought Sky Ultrafast FTTH beginning of October. Install date was 23rd Oct. Sky then email saying install delayed...

I get a call from Siro (actually Actavo on behalf of Siro) saying install delayed as ESB need to come and route the fibre from the pole to the house, could take weeks. Fair enough. In the end someone comes next day and installs the cable which is now attached to my fascia.

Sky customer service are hopeless and won't send out an engineer. Generic response is "we are waiting on a 3rd party, could take 6 more weeks". I've told them the cable is on my house ready to go...

Am I right to think the next step is Sky need to come and drill that cable through my wall? Confusingly Sky customer service gave me a number for OpenEir to call (no answer) even though it was Siro who called me about the FTTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

I see that the connection has come from the pole to your house. That's the large part done. All that is left is for the installer (not the ISP) to run the fiber down your wall, drill a hole and install a small grey box on the outside and the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) where you want it. As for activation it is the ISP (in your case Sky) that you follow up with, as they send the modem to you and you set it up yourself (or the installer if you have received it already). The service should be live at this point.

If However they are making excuses then it may be an idea to go elsewhere.

I had a similiar experience about 2 months ago and I just rang Actavo back and asked them what the story was with the proper install and they scheduled someone. To be honest I don't know that that was the correct process but they did have the notes from the original call so knew it had progressed to the next stage (ready to be spliced and ONT fitted)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RDWRER_

Cheers, I gave Actavo a call and they were very good. ESB hadn't told them the cable was ready but when I told them it was they sent an engineer out the next day.

If anyone else has the same problem I'd say give Actavo a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Does your Siro ACC number stay the same after changes? I got it 3 years ago and I've been assigned new customer numbers throughout the years but assume Siro ACC number will still be the orig? (Sky want that number)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thanks for the explanation. Where doesn't Sky Broadband fall into this picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Sky can use any of them, although they can only run on NBI as a new line, they don’t have the capability of moving to NBI from another provider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭alanmc

Hi all,

I had SIRO (through Sky) in my last house. Recently moved a little more rural.

The house "next door" (about 300 yards up the road) has SIRO connection, but my eircode is coming back as unavailable.

Just wondering, is there a way I can get it extended to my house (through Actavo or Sky)? Or do I have to wait until SIRO themselves roll it out that far? Can I request it (I guess is what I'm asking)?

Thanks,

alanmc

Advertisement