Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Awards 2013 [** RESULTS!! **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

sheehy83 wrote: »
    You'd think there would be more nominations with the amount of people on here :confused:

Some of the category don't have many games this year at all, and I wouldn't be nominating something because it was the only game that was eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

sheehy83 wrote: »
    You'd think there would be more nominations with the amount of people on here :confused:

For me personally the majority of games I played and finished were from my backlog. Only a handful were released in 2013. And some of those that were I found were overrated like BioShock Infinite.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The next group is up. Time for portable gaming:

3DS
    Vita
    IOS
    Android

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I had at least five nominations I could have put down for 3DS game of the year without hesitation, and I haven't even gotten around to playing some other key games. The console is going from strength to strength :)

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

A link between worlds on the 3DS, get the obvious one out of the way :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

A link between worlds on the 3DS, get the obvious one out of the way :D

Only for those who've played it :'( Damn you Pokemon, why did you make me choose? WHY??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I can barely vote in the Fun category too, it really was a terrible year to be a 360 gamer. (can't afford another console before ye say, get a PS/PC).

Final Group (Overall Category) is now open.

OK guys, time to vote.

http://bit.ly/gameawards2013

Several of the "Fun" and "Overall" categories had lots of single nominations, so some of the groups there are quite large. Should be an interesting vote.

The survey will remain open until Thursday at 6pm, and results will be made available that night.

• Advertisement

Bumping this for the weekday boardsies. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

While it may not have made a difference, I wish I was around to vote for the Overall..

Was disappointed to see TLOU wasn't nominated for Online.. felt it was the best MP last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

wow, after doing that, last year was really crap for games

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I didn't notice any of the threads, will have to get through them all later today at dinner :D

wow, after doing that, last year was really crap for games

No it wasn't... in fact it was arguably one of the best years of the last generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

tok9 wrote: »
    No it wasn't... in fact it was arguably one of the best years of the last generation.

it was ?......

I must have missed that one. Please enlighten us as some of the 'best games of the generation' that were released ?

Apart from The Last of Us...which everyone seems to love.
    And don't say Bioshock Infinite, because it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

SeantheMan wrote: »
    it was ?......

I must have missed that one. Please enlighten us as some of the 'best games of the generation' that were released ?

Apart from The Last of Us...which everyone seems to love.
    And don't say Bioshock Infinite, because it wasn't.

That is a very subjective argument. One persons 'best games of the generation' could be totally different to your own choices. That does not make the other person wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Well as a 360 gamer, it was a very poor year. I struggled to nominate titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I found the best games weren't to be found in what is usually referred to as "AAA" space within gaming. I really enjoyed a lot of indie games that came out either in 2013 or the tail end of 2012 that I didn't pick up until this year. Some games I didn't play (notably paper please) I do appreciate from wathcing the odd lets play. I have poured more hours into Rogue legacy last year than any other single title.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Indie games and handheld is where the best games this year were. Handheld gaming was pretty amazing in 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Please enlighten us as some of the 'best games of the generation' that were released ?

Well aside from the bothersome 'generation' labeling, you had Papers Please, Gone Home, Rogue Legacy, Resogun, Fire Emblem Awakening, A Link Between Worlds, Attack of the Friday Monsters, Bravely Default, The Stanley Parable, Rayman Legends, MGS: Rising, GTAV, Brothers, Monaco, Device 6, Year Walk, Ridiculous Fishing, The Room 2, Pokemon X / Y... and they're just the ones I had time to play (another dozen or two I really want to but haven't gotten around to yet) :pac:

It wasn't the best year for AAA console blockbusters releases (although I did really like GTA, Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us - but that's all subjective), but why would anyone be restricting themselves to AAA console blockbusters when there's so many other avenues and possibilities open, with little investment needed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

tok9 wrote: »
    While it may not have made a difference, I wish I was around to vote for the Overall..

Was disappointed to see TLOU wasn't nominated for Online.. felt it was the best MP last year.

I haven't played TLOU, but I didn't realise it had MP.

Anyway, gonna vote when I'm home/not on my phone.

I got Rogue Legacy on Saturday morning and haven't played anything else since. It's such a fantastic game.

The indie scene is incredibly strong at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Well aside from the bothersome 'generation' labeling, you had Papers Please, Gone Home, Rogue Legacy, Resogun, Fire Emblem Awakening, A Link Between Worlds, Attack of the Friday Monsters, Bravely Default, The Stanley Parable, Rayman Legends, MGS: Rising, GTAV, Brothers, Monaco, Device 6, Year Walk, Ridiculous Fishing, The Room 2, Pokemon X / Y... and they're just the ones I had time to play (another dozen or two I really want to but haven't gotten around to yet) :pac:

It wasn't the best year for AAA console blockbusters releases (although I did really like GTA, Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us - but that's all subjective), but why would anyone be restricting themselves to AAA console blockbusters when there's so many other avenues and possibilities open, with little investment needed.

You forgot Flappy bird ;)

Johnny pretty much answered it perfectly.

I'd also add Persona 4 Golden and Tearaway to that list.

Last day to vote. Survey closes at 6pm. Results to be posted later this evening.

Results!

Thanks to everyone who nominated and voted. I've left out categories where there were no nominees.
    And now, without further ado.....

XBOX 360/One: Best Strategy/Puzzle
    Peggle 2

XBOX 360/One: Best Action/Adventure
    GTA V

XBOX 360/One: XBLA Game of the Year (Tie)
    Spelunky
    Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon
    State of Decay

XBOX 360: Best Overall Game
    GTA V

XBOX 360/One: Best RPG
    Diablo 3

Wii U: Best RPG
    Monster Hunter 3

Wii U: Best Strategy/Puzzle
    Pikmin 3

Wii U: Best Driving Game
    NFS Most Wanted

Wii U: Best Action/Adventure
    Super Mario 3D World

Wii U: Best Overall
    Super Mario 3D World

Wii U: Best Wiiware
    NES Remix

PS3/PS4: Best Puzzle/Strategy
    Hotline Miami

PS3/PS4: Best Sports Game
    Nba 2k14

PS3/PS4: Best Racing Game
    Need for Speed: Rivals

PS3/PS4: Best RPG
    Ni No Kuni

PS3/PS4: Best PSN Game (Tie)
    Miami Hotline
    Resogun

PS3/PS4: Best Action/Adventure
    The Last of Us

PS3: Best Overall
    Last of Us

PS4: Best Overall
    Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag

PC: Best Overall
    XCOM: Enemy Within

PC: Best Racer
    GRID 2

PC: Best RPG
    Rogue Legacy

PC: Best Action Adventure
    Tomb Raider

PC: Best Strategy/Puzzle
    Civilization V: Brave New World

PC: Best Indie
    Papers Please

PC: Best Sports
    Football Manager 2014

IOS: Best Overall
    Ridiculous Fishing

Android: Best Overall
    Dumb Ways to Die

3DS: Best Overall
    Pokemon X/Y

3DS: Best RPG
    Pokemon X/Y

3DS: Best Action/Adventure
    Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

3DS: Best Puzzle/Strategy
    Fire Emblem: Awakening

Vita: Best Action Adventure
    Tearaway

Vita: Best RPG
    Persona 4: Golden

Vita: Best Strategy/Puzzle
    PixelJunk Monsters: Ultimate HD

Vita: Best Overall
    Persona 4: Golden

Fun: Hottest Male
    Trevor- GTA 5

Fun: Hottest Female
    Lara Croft - Tomb Raider

Fun: Pleasant Surprise
    Guacamelee

Fun: Best Music (Tie)
    The Last of Us
    Hotline Miami

Fun: Best Game Design
    The Last of Us

Fun: Best Graphics
    The Last of Us

Fun: WTF Were They Thinking Award
    Xbox One's marketing campaign

Fun: Best Story
    The Last of Us

Fun: Best Overall Sound
    The Last of Us

Fun: Best Boss Fight
    Deadshot - Batman Arkham Origins

Fun: Best Character
    Trevor - GTA 5

Fun: Biggest Disappointment
    The increasing use of Microtransactions in full price games

Overall: Best Sports
    NBA 2k14

Overall: Online Game of the Year
    GTA Online

Overall: Best Strategy/Puzzle
    Hotline Miami

Overall: Best Downloadable (non-Retail) Game
    Hotline Miami

Overall: Best RPG
    Ni No Kuni

Overall: Best Action/Adventure
    The Last of Us

Overall: Best Racing
    Grid 2

Overall: Game of the Year 2013
    The Last Of Us

• Registered Users Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Very happy with those results and a big Thank you to Mr. E for organising the awards!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

The Last of Us - Boards.ie Game of the Year 2013

Deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Fair paly to you Mr.E for keeping this going every year and putting the effort in. Well done Sir!!!!!!! :)

Advertisement