Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game Awards 2013 [** RESULTS!! **]

Options
  • 21-01-2014 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭

Nomination threads for the first two categories are open now.

Xbox 360/One
    Wii U

360/One are combined for now, but there is a separate Game of the Year thread for each.

Since we're I'm so late this year, I'm going to blitz through the nomination phase (2 days per group). The next group will go up on Thursday evening.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=499

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Actually lets make it 2 days per group. Thursday for the next set, followed by Saturday and Monday. Should be ready to vote by the middle of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The only games awards worth voting in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Slim pickings last year for me in terms of games worth nominating, actually worst year in a long time. There were some great games just not very many of them, speaking from an xbox perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Went into vote, there is barely anything worth voting for on the 360 anyways.
    Most of my time was spent on Battlefield 4 and Assassins Creed 4 lately, none of which is worth nominating for anything really.

I will be able to nominate 3 in the fun/disappointment awards if there are any. :pac:

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I will be able to nominate 3 in the fun/disappointment awards if there are any. :pac:

Yup, same groups as normal.

Next: PS3/PS4/PC
    Then: Portable (3DS/Vita/Mobile)
    Then: Fun and Overall.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hottest female better be filled with fire emblem girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

How can the best Xbox game also be on the PS etc. Exclusive only no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hottest female better be filled with fire emblem girls.

only girl that mattered this year was lucina :L

I love how it seems all the categories for the Xbox 360 so far are filled out with GTA V, Bioshock Infinite, Metro: Last Light, and Tomb Raider.

I love how it seems all the categories for the Xbox 360 so far are filled out with GTA V, Bioshock Infinite, Metro: Last Light, and Tomb Raider.

It was a bad year for exclusives, not a great year for gaming in general I would say, certainly not for me as a 360 player. The PS ones will probably just be The Last Of Us for everything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Metal Gear Rising needs more love. That game didn't pretend to be anything other than pure fun. Up there with Mario 3D World for my game of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

It's not a massive surprise in fairness.. I don't own one but the only exclusive I can think of is Gears of War.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Metal Gear Rising needs more love. That game didn't pretend to be anything other than pure fun. Up there with Mario 3D World for my game of the year.

Wouldn't be my GOTY but completely agree on the fun.. great game. I hope it sold well enough so platinum could actually develop from the beginning if there is a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

While it was a lot of fun, it did have a lot of flaws too. Really poor camera in a lot of areas, controls could be dodgy enough, very short game and uninteresting story.

tok9 wrote: »
    It's not a massive surprise in fairness.. I don't own one but the only exclusive I can think of is Gears of War.

Judgement was really poor, if it had Horde mode, It might have been worth nominating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

While it was a lot of fun, it did have a lot of flaws too. Really poor camera in a lot of areas, controls could be dodgy enough, very short game and uninteresting story.

You just described Wonderful 101 too.

Who needs a story when you can split a Metal Gear in two.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Just finished it. Great game just a bit too short. It's the best game I've played from last year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I wouldn't agree it was a bad year for games at all: in fact, there were dozens of fascinating, progressive, intelligent and downright enjoyable games released. The 3DS, PS3, PC and even iOS had no shortage of great games, and I'll struggle to pick the most deserving nominees in some of those categories. The indie scene was particularly vibrant.

It was an appalling year for the 360 though. Almost as if Microsoft was content to just let it die in advance of the One. Definitely highlights were predominantly multi-platform. Was there even a single definitive exclusive worth singling out?

The only exclusive I can think of was Gears of War Judegment

• Advertisement

The only exclusive I can think of was Gears of War Judegment

There were a handleful of XBLA titles(hardly worth mentioning), but Gears of War Judegment was the only AAA title as far as I remember.

Oh and DARK came out on Windows and XBOX 360, PS owners are probably glad it wasn't inflicted on them, apparently its terrible.

Gears yeah, in contrast the PS3 seemed to have a few, don't really follow it as I don't own one but recall at least 3.

There seemed to have been a major drop in the actual number of releases last year on 360 not just in quality

I almost nominated Defiance sure thats how stuck I was for things to nominate, just to vary the nominations a bit but I thought better of it :D

Kind of ironically I forgot to nominate "remember me" while not stellar it was a decent game given the company it had last year, and showed some interesting ideas but fell down in it's execution some what.

Maybe I'll give Nilin the nod for hottest female :o

@Mr Freeze I wanted to get Dark actually , but could it be found in a bricks and mortar shop?????? Heard since its poo :D

Closing this batch tonight and starting the next one. Still no nominees for Best Sports Game (360/One), Best RPG (360/One) and Best Sports Game (Wii U).

If there are no nominees, there will be no vote on those categories.

Mr E wrote: »
    Closing this batch tonight and starting the next one. Still no nominees for Best Sports Game (360/One), Best RPG (360/One) and Best Sports Game (Wii U).

If there are no nominees, there will be no vote on those categories.

I best pop over and nominate Diablo 3 and Defiance ...... purely out of spite so Diablo obliterates it in the vote :D

Microsoft kind of did the same with the first XBox, a few months before the 360 all excusive development just stopped.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I assume early access, alpha/beta releases don't count. Truly terrible year for PC rpgs. Don't think I played any of them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

mewso wrote: »
    I assume early access, alpha/beta releases don't count. Truly terrible year for PC rpgs. Don't think I played any of them.

There's been plenty, and plenty of good ones too. You just have to look :P It's not that it was a terrible year, it's that 'mainstream' devs look to other genres. The indie RPG scene however is thriving because of it. Try Rogue Legacy and Avadon 2. Both old school but extremely good RPGs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

There's been plenty, and plenty of good ones too. You just have to look :P It's not that it was a terrible year, it's that 'mainstream' devs look to other genres. The indie RPG scene however is thriving because of it. Try Rogue Legacy and Avadon 2. Both old school but extremely good RPGs

Yeah the spiderweb stuff has been on my list for a while. Not really into roguelikes though. I like my rpgs with quests and exploring and quicksaving :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

You'd think there would be more nominations with the amount of people on here :confused:

Advertisement