Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast that fills you up til lunch?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

bluewolf wrote: »
    The asian market coconut flour is a different animal altogether, not good for baking with I've found

H&B do coconut baking flour, if that's any use.

Only €9.15 for 500g.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭LeNNoX

I'm trying lose a few pounds by eating more sensibly but I'm finding my breakfast only fills me up for a couple of hours, sometimes even less before I'm hungry again!?

My usual routine is as follows

Breakfast around 8am I have either:
    - 50g porridge with dash of milk and teaspoon of peanut butter and honey
    - 2 slices of wholemeal toast and peanut butter (Rarely have this now as I want to eat less bread)

Then around 10/10.30am I'm starving and would have a banana, apple and small bag of popcorn. I would still be very hungry come 1pm? I've been reading eggs keep you fuller for longer but I really only like them scrambled and don't know if I would have the time to make them in the morning? Any other suggestions?

scrambled eggs take the same amount of time to make as toast - put both on at the same time. You're talking 2mins.

- 2 slices of bread (I usual use brown wholemeal or grain)
    - whisk two eggs in a bowl and stick small bit of unsalted butter in a pot
    - put eggs in pot and bread in the toaster at the same time
    ...small bit of egg stirring... 2/2.5mins and shazam.
    (don't tell anyone but I like to add a bit of salt to my eggs --sshh)

I had it this morning with a small tin of beans which I did in the microwave (120secs)
    --yum yum--

Hunger is a hidden thrust, so make sure you're drinking plenty of water + nothing wrong with some fruit before lunch for a small snack

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The asian market coconut flour is a different animal altogether, not good for baking with I've found

It should be just ground up and dried coconut meat. Coconut flour, in general, needs more liquid added to it.

Only €9.15 for 500g.

Good ol' H+B :) You can get 5kg for about 18 euro on amazon.

Good ol' H+B :) You can get 5kg for about 18 euro on amazon.

But...but...but what about if I but one and get a second for only 1 cent?

Then I'm practically stealing from them!

Smug face.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Only €9.15 for 500g.

Yeah that's what I use ;s
    I was just saying by comparison they're different
    The H&B one is more like flour
    the asian market one is more like dessicated coconut. Maybe if you stick it in a blender or something?
    Coconut flour, in general, needs more liquid added to it.
    Yes... but they're still different :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Yeah that's what I use ;s
    I was just saying by comparison they're different
    The H&B one is more like flour
    the asian market one is more like dessicated coconut. Maybe if you stick it in a blender or something?

Yes... but they're still different :D

I would imagine there is more than one asian market type - just find one that is finer. Or blend it yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Howyahorse

i always have eggs..the most filling way to eat them is an omelette imo.(with tomato, onion, whatever veg you have) and a
    bowl of fruit and yoghurt...keeps me going till 2 every day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

Plus one for eggs and oat bran.

I do get hungrier though after the porridge, not mad hungry but I think it's the carb monster in me...BUT if you throw a scoop of protein powder in it it's seriously filling!

You throw the protein powder in before or after microwaving the porridge? Does it not kill the protein(read that on another thread) if you microwave it?

You lads that are not full on porridge do you have milk with porridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

110km on bike with no breakfast Saturday morning. Felt no hunger on bike.

Wouldn't have thought that was possible prior to switching to high fat diet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

sawfish wrote: »
    You throw the protein powder in before or after microwaving the porridge? Does it not kill the protein(read that on another thread) if you microwave it?

You lads that are not full on porridge do you have milk with porridge?

It does damage the protein apparently alright, so I throw it in at the end. I have almond milk in my porridge!

• Advertisement

At 8am, I cook half a mug of porridge oats - (doesn't matter what brand, own brand is just as good as dearer ones) with a mug low fat (not skimmed) milk plus a small handful (about 12) raisins or sultanas. I cook it in the microwave for 6 minutes. I sprinkle a dessertspoon of linseeds over when cooked with another dash of milk. I find this keeps me going till lunch. At 10.30 or 11am. I have a cup of mint or ginger tea with half teaspoon honey. I use this as part of the 5:2 diet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Minute steaks all the way.If you can stomach them in the morning that is.

sawfish wrote: »
    It does damage the protein apparently alright, so I throw it in at the end.

Have it cold. Just sit it in the water and/or milk for an hour to let it soften.I'd have excommunicated myself for saying such a thing until 2 weeks ago when I was too lazy to bring my bowl down to be microwaved and ate the porridge cold.

Flaked almonds in there for an extra protein hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭cullenswood

At 8am, I cook half a mug of porridge oats - (doesn't matter what brand, own brand is just as good as dearer ones) with a mug low fat (not skimmed) milk plus a small handful (about 12) raisins or sultanas. I cook it in the microwave for 6 minutes.

6 minutes??! 1 min 50seconds does me for my two third mug of porridge oats
    Have it cold. Just sit it in the water and/or milk for an hour to let it soften..

Never tried it that way, might do so in the morning, would give me the 1 min 50 seconds extra in bed!

Never tried it that way, might do so in the morning, would give me the 1 min 50 seconds extra in bed!

The notion of it wouldn't have appealed until laziness to microwave it got the better of me. Worth a try.

6 minutes??! 1 min 50seconds does me for my two third mug of porridge oats

Might be that I've an ancient microwave - about 20 years old!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

I'm looking for an answer to this question too. I leave home at 5am for work so I'm looking for something quick and easy. I don't eat eggs in any form so they're not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Is porridge and honey considered a good brekkie?, id normally have that or else 2 poached or scrambled eggs and beans on brown toast, porridge keeps me going till lunch no bother whereas funny enough id be starving soon after the eggs beans and toast,i love it though:D

thing is though if i go for an early run i find porridge gives me fierce gas and id be burping away down the road, so now if running i just have a glass of oj

Advertisement