Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast that fills you up til lunch?

Options
  • 20-01-2014 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭

I'm trying lose a few pounds by eating more sensibly but I'm finding my breakfast only fills me up for a couple of hours, sometimes even less before I'm hungry again!?

My usual routine is as follows

Breakfast around 8am I have either:
    - 50g porridge with dash of milk and teaspoon of peanut butter and honey
    - 2 slices of wholemeal toast and peanut butter (Rarely have this now as I want to eat less bread)

Then around 10/10.30am I'm starving and would have a banana, apple and small bag of popcorn. I would still be very hungry come 1pm? I've been reading eggs keep you fuller for longer but I really only like them scrambled and don't know if I would have the time to make them in the morning? Any other suggestions?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

whenever I make scrambled eggs they're done in like 5 minutes...

i found oat bran kept me fuller longer than porridge..dont know why

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Toast wont fill you up. Scramble the eggs in the microwave, its takes like 1-2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Toast wont fill you up. Scramble the eggs in the microwave, its takes like 1-2 minutes.

Yeah suppose I'll give it a shot. So would 3 scrambled eggs be too much?

Yeah suppose I'll give it a shot. So would 3 scrambled eggs be too much?

Sounds perfect to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I had the same problem recently when I started on porridge but I added some Milled Hemp and some mixed nuts (From Tesco). I find that when I eat at 8 it keeps me going until 12 or so.

So in the morning I would have two flat scoops of Flahavans Quick oatsporridge and I use the same scoop to add 1 measure of milled hemp (with the mixed nuts mixed in). Its a new thing for me but its working out really well so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

what about an omelet that can be prepared in the evening before? it can be quickly heated in the morning, or eaten cold. I prefer cold.
    I make it quite often, it's tasty, quick (20mins max) and cheap! total comes around 3.50eur for 3 meals:
    Omelet_zpscb38cfe8.jpg
    I eat 1/3 of that and it keeps me going for more than 4hours. I used to eat porridge with dried fruit, bananas, little milk etc - you know - it's so healthy, slow release carbs and all that lark BUT: half and hours later I would get a terrible heart burn, and I would be starving 2.5hrs later. Porridge and similar "healthy options" are rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

j@utis wrote: »
    what about an omelet that can be prepared in the evening before? it can be quickly heated in the morning, or eaten cold. I prefer cold.
    I make it quite often, it's tasty, quick (20mins max) and cheap! total comes around 3.50eur for 3 meals:

Egg bake. Basically a large omelet or quiche with no pastry.

Easy egg bake:
    Take a muffin tin/yorkie pud tin, with a little oil or butter in each well.

Add sliced ham, diced onions, peppers etc to well, crack an egg in each well, salt and pepper or some other spices. bake for about 20-30 minutes at 180 or so.

can be eaten there and then or pop them out of the well and re heat later, will fit in a lunch box easily, and keep for a few days in the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Porridge and similar "healthy options" are rubbish.

For you.

and so many others. there's so many people here dying for a snack around mid-morning after having that slooooow release energy bowl of goodness in the morning. food industry + clever advertising made you to believe you have to eat continuously, when the opposite is actually healthier.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

and so many others. there's so many people here dying for a snack around mid-morning after having that slooooow release energy bowl of goodness in the morning. food industry + clever advertising made you to believe you have to eat continuously, when the opposite is actually healthier.

I just eat when I'm hungry.

You must work in a huge place where everyone eats porridge.

You don't work in Flahavans' factory, do you?

I don't suppose you can say that in public though. PM me....maybe send on some vouchers for free bags as well.

• Advertisement

How does that make porridge rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I eat 1/3 of that and it keeps me going for more than 4hours. I used to eat porridge with dried fruit, bananas, little milk etc - you know - it's so healthy, slow release carbs and all that lark BUT: half and hours later I would get a terrible heart burn, and I would be starving 2.5hrs later. Porridge and similar "healthy options" are rubbish.

Looks nice, got a recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

whenever I make scrambled eggs they're done in like 5 minutes...

i found oat bran kept me fuller longer than porridge..dont know why

there's more fibre in the oat bran.

Bacon & eggs
    Steak & eggs
    Avocado & boiled eggs
    Oat bran, apple, & almond butter
    Coconut flour and vanilla pancakes

If no time for solid meal and always before early am training coconut oil and black coffee.

I'd second that one on hungry soon after eating porridge I'm ravenous an hour or two after it. But there are loads who are full and content for hours on it. Different strokes and all that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

siochain wrote: »

They sound gorgeous, gonna try them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yeah I'm another one who porridge doesn't keep full for long which is a shame because I do like it. Eggs and rashers

• Registered Users Posts: 51,614 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You're better off eating a good breakfast in the mornings as it keeps you right for the day.
    2 eggs, 2/3 rashers and 3 sausages with two slices of brown bread will last you till evening dinner. You could have a brown bread sandwich at 1 or 2 o'clock if you're hungry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Bacon & eggs
    Steak & eggs
    Avocado & boiled eggs

If no time for solid meal and always before early am training coconut oil and black coffee.

Now we are talking, get the fat content up.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Repetto

Bacon & eggs
    Steak & eggs
    Avocado & boiled eggs

Siochain, where do you buy your coconut flour? Just googled a recipe for the pancakes and they look lovely, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Plus one for eggs and oat bran.

I do get hungrier though after the porridge, not mad hungry but I think it's the carb monster in me...BUT if you throw a scoop of protein powder in it it's seriously filling! Or if you don't have the protein throw a couple of egg whites in just before the porridge is done andbeat them in. Microwave for a wee bit again. Yum with a wee bit of sweetener.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Maybe it's a stupid question, but what's wrong with being hungry at 10:30?

Eat your porridge, eat your banana at 10:30 (see if you can do without the other two), see how you feel between then and 1!

Why do people set a specific goal of not eating between x and y time, when the more relevant question (presumably) revolves around calories & nutrition?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

I think it's to prevent grabbing at biscuits/sweets that are knocking around the place.

I know in my staffroom there's always junk. I have breakfast at 7.45 and start teaching at 9.20 so there's plenty of time for me to get an aul craving! If I'm full and satisfied I'm less likely to go in and grab something.

(Yes, I would eat a biscuit that early. Or a sweet)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Repetto wrote: »
    Siochain, where do you buy your coconut flour? Just googled a recipe for the pancakes and they look lovely, thanks.

any health food shop should have it, although I found it cheaper on amazon than the 3 health food shops I checked

Looks nice, got a recipe?
    dice one onion, couple of rashers and one baby potato and fry them in coconut oil. while these are cooking slice some mushrooms and chop some broccoli florets, throw them into frying pan, add a little bit of water, put the lid on and let all that steam. meanwhile beat 5 eggs with some cream, you can add some grated cheese here if you like, add salt and pepper to taste, and when the veggies are soft-ish pour the egg mixture in and quickly mix everything together. switch the grill on. when you see bubbles coming through in the frying pan the bottom of the omelet is set enough, put it under the grill to cook the top part. keep close eye on it, it only takes few minutes. I shave some butter on top of my omelet because I love butter! butter is food of gods :D anyways, it takes me 20 minutes max cleaning up included. you can use other vegetables if you like, I put spinach instead of broccoli sometimes. you might need more eggs if you use a lot of vegetables.
    AltAccount wrote: »

Eat your porridge, eat your banana at 10:30 (see if you can do without the other two), see how you feel between then and 1!

Why do people set a specific goal of not eating between x and y time, when the more relevant question (presumably) revolves around calories & nutrition?
    I guess it's something to do with the insulin levels. when you eat often, and constant grazers usually snack on sugar based stuff, or should I say carbohydrates = higher insulin spike, your insulin level goes up and down up and down, rollercoaster style. this might lead to metabolism related diseases, like diabetes. also elevated insulin prevents energy being sourced from your fat reserves, so if you're trying to loose some weight, eating little and frequently makes it more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

AltAccount wrote: »

I completely agree with this. If you're trying to lose weight you're gonna be hungry some of the time.

The way its made out here is that you're unable to control yourself around junk food if theres even a slight feeling of hunger.

I think addressing the mentality of eating sh!t food would help a lot. "I eat beacuse I'm hungry" is never going to help any weight loss goal.

You dont have to eat when you're hungry and you dont have to eat junk just beacuse its available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I spent many years having porridge, fruit and low fat youghurt for breakfast.

Even if working on office, cycling, farm work I would need food again about 2 hrs later.

I never had a weight issue, but the constant grazing got me thinking and then researching.

In an effort to power very long distance cycling(up to 350km in a day) I've been on a high fat low carbohydrate diet since August.

I've lost no weight, but look like I have. My waist is 1.5" smaller.

I eat a high fat breakfast, (e.g greek yoghurt with a little fruit, two fried eggs and coffee with cream). I can now go for many hours without eating again or even thinking of food.

For example I did 185km on Saturday on such a breakfast and no food after. Wasn't even hungry when I came home. Breakfast at 6.30am, next food was at 3.30pm. It was next day before I felt properly hungry again.

IMHO there is no one advice that suits all. This suits me and many more nut maybe not you

Repetto wrote: »

Holland & Barrett or on iherb.

Very filling and if your watching calories make sure and count in the oil your frying in as the pancakes will soak it right up. I've often used up two large tablespoons of coconut oil when frying them.

ford2600 wrote: »
    I spent many years having porridge, fruit and low fat youghurt for breakfast.

Even if working on office, cycling, farm work I would need food again about 2 hrs later.

I never had a weight issue, but the constant grazing got me thinking and then researching.

In an effort to power very long distance cycling(up to 350km in a day) I've been on a high fat low carbohydrate diet since August.

I've lost no weight, but look like I have. My waist is 1.5" smaller.

I eat a high fat breakfast, (e.g greek yoghurt with a little fruit, two fried eggs and coffee with cream). I can now go for many hours without eating again or even thinking of food.

For example I did 185km on Saturday on such a breakfast and no food after. Wasn't even hungry when I came home. Breakfast at 6.30am, next food was at 3.30pm. It was next day before I felt properly hungry again.

IMHO there is no one advice that suits all. This suits me and many more nut maybe not you

Yeah that's the general trend in the longer distance events, dumping the sugars and moving over to good fats.

The way we were supposed to be fueled.

Holland & Barrett or on iherb.

Very filling and if your watching calories make sure and count in the oil your frying in as the pancakes will soak it right up. I've often used up two large tablespoons of coconut oil when frying them.

Try asian or indian shops, they should have it and it will be a lot cheaper than holland and barrett.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Try asian or indian shops, they should have it and it will be a lot cheaper than holland and barrett.

The asian market coconut flour is a different animal altogether, not good for baking with I've found

Advertisement