Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Australia with young children

Options
  • 20-01-2014 5:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey,
    Just wondering if anyone could let me know of their experience of settling in Australia with a young family. Myself and my wife are seriously considering making the move but shifting the kids down there and hoping they settle is a big worry for me (they are 7,4 and 3 years old).
    Has anyone moved there with a young family and settled there perfectly or has it been a mistake.
    I basically just want to give my children a better quality of lifestyle then I feel they have here at the moment and open them up to more opportunities as they get older that I feel they won't have in Ireland. Any advice would be welcomed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Hi, go onto Facebook and look up irish around perth page. If you put up a post you will get all the info and RIPPA you need. I'm out here 4 years not with children but have friends that moved out with families. It's a big commitment and naby it would be good If you came out yourself first and see what you think of it. Worke wise I'd suggest perth or Brisbane its up to you.

Lualme wrote: »
    Hey,
    Just wondering if anyone could let me know of their experience of settling in Australia with a young family. Myself and my wife are seriously considering making the move but shifting the kids down there and hoping they settle is a big worry for me (they are 7,4 and 3 years old).
    Has anyone moved there with a young family and settled there perfectly or has it been a mistake.
    I basically just want to give my children a better quality of lifestyle then I feel they have here at the moment and open them up to more opportunities as they get older that I feel they won't have in Ireland. Any advice would be welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lualme

Hi, go onto Facebook and look up irish around perth page. If you put up a post you will get all the info and RIPPA you need. I'm out here 4 years not with children but have friends that moved out with families. It's a big commitment and naby it would be good If you came out yourself first and see what you think of it. Worke wise I'd suggest perth or Brisbane its up to you.

Thanks so much for the reply, just really trying to draw up the pros and the coma at the moment. The plan would be for to head out first alright and see how I get fixed up there before my wife and kids followed. Whereabouts are you based? Assume as you are there for 4 years that you and enjoying the life down there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

You might want to compare notes with An Bothar Abhaile who's planning a move in the opposite direction!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

My brother moved to Oz several years ago with a young family, his kids were 5, 3 and 6months old at the time. TBH, the two younger kids just adapted straight away, the three year old didn't really remember anything about Ireland after a while, and of course the baby remembered nothing at all and has grown up as an Aussie :) The oldest girl took a little longer to settle in, however (actually she took a couple of years!) because she had started school back here, had more established memories of home, her surroundings, grandparents, even the weather! etc. They all, kids included, found the weather very hot at the start but they adapted. The kids are now true blue Aussies and growing up fast :)

I would say do it while the kids are as young as possible - not so they will forget Ireland, but the younger they are, the less likely it is that they will have formed strong social bonds, have an established friendship/peer group, be heavily involved in sports or other social group activities. They will also not have to adapt to a new school system (your oldest will, but you know them best and how they might react to that).

As for my brother and his wife, well my SIL already has family out there, so they did already know people, but I think they both found it quite difficult to make friends (they would both be very sociable people with solid friend groups at home here). I think it took them a good couple of years to establish a network of friends, but tbh I don't think they have the same level of friendships that they both had back home. Again, you have to weigh up how important this is to you.

Also, seriously - don't underestimate the heat. It's lovely for a two-week holiday in Spain, but the temperatures in Oz can touch high 30's/40degrees for extended periods in summer. You have to work, commute, do the school run, grocery shopping, laundry, housework, entertain the kids, everything in that sort of heat that we are just not used to here. I have heard more than one person who visited Australia say they loved it, but couldn't live there long term because of the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Hi, Moved here to Perth 3+ years ago with a then 4 and 2 year old.
    The kids settled quickly as they were too young to have formed very strong friendships with kids at home apart from cousins.
    I wouldn't worry about the kids, they will adapt and if they like the water they'll love all the fun to be had.
    Schools can be expensive for a private catholic school several grand per year per child if you want that route also depends on visa if you have to pay for public schools. Not sure about that.
    I posted a while back if you search my posts on costs of raising a family in Oz.
    Quite sobering but if you can earn enough it's a good country with good opportunities.
    As it happens we're planning on moving home in 2 years so the kids get to spend time with grandparents before the inevitable. At moment they only know them from Skype!
    We 're quite comfortable here but at cost of me doing fly in fly out and only getting 6 days a month at home but it's a means to an end and unfortunately necessary to get ahead. You might have better luck with regards to work - life balance.
    Have a poke around in older posts, also check "poms in oz" and come back if you have specific questions, might be able to help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

I'm based in perth doing fifo also. I do 4 weeks away and one week back it isn't easy being away from herself and friends. It hit 51oc one day in work last year out in the bush and that takes a while to get ust to. I would also recommend naby moveing around may or June and that will give you a few months to acclimatise before the summer heat starts around November. I am heading home around July and can't waight. That's of my own accord.

quote="Lualme;88558217"]Thanks so much for the reply, just really trying to draw up the pros and the coma at the moment. The plan would be for to head out first alright and see how I get fixed up there before my wife and kids followed. Whereabouts are you based? Assume as you are there for 4 years that you and enjoying the life down there?[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

my friend moved with the kids and aside from leaving his own family he's never been happier.

Thanks to all for the replies, very helpful advice/opinion.
    To be honest I think the main reason we are considering the move is for the kids. We are doing ok in Ireland at the moment and don't really have to make a move but we think long term it could be a really great experience for us all.
    As said the kids living in Ireland at the moment is the main issue, the quality of life for them is quite poor. We live in a cul de sac full of kids and when the weather is good its fantastic for the kids as they can play out front all day with their friends. Unfortunately the problems arise when the weather is bad (which as you all know is frequent), my kids have been in everyday after school/Montessori since mid-October. They just cant get outside with either the cold, rain, wind or lack of light in the day. I know this is something that is for the most part resolved come the summer but having to watch my kids stuck indoors for nearly 6 months a year is hard. Its impossible to plan any sort of outdoor activity with them and my wife and I have just arrived at a stage where we feel there must be something more we can do for them.
    I know a lot of people have said to me about the sense of community and the likes which is great about Ireland but to be honest that is also non existent these days, life has moved on from 20/25 years ago over here. I barely know half my neighbours and I'm in my house nearly 10 years.
    I know my kids are young but if things stay the same here they will have to move on as soon as they (please god) finish in college as the opportunities over here are not there for them and nothings been done by those in power to help the situation.
    Essentially we are just feeling that why not give it a go and see, maybe it will be a mistake but then again maybe for our kids it will be the best thing we have ever done. I guess I'm just very apprehensive about leaving it all behind and starting afresh but am I mad not to give it a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Do your research. Lots of families have gone to Oz and returned because of the heat, the distance from family and the cost of living. The Oz economy is considered overheated and many citizens have big debts and are struggling to stay ahead.
    There was a programme on Rte a year or so back about a family who moved out to Sydney. They ended up having to rent far outside Sydney due to the cost of housing. As for a better family life your commute cost and length of time could be a big issue. Personally I dont see why your kids cant get out in Ireland. Put on a bit of raingear and there are wonderful walks and trails all around Ireland. If you are in 30 degree heat your kids wont have much play time in it. In Ireland you can get out and about virtually any day of the year. Not many countries have that attraction. With the growth in outdoor tourism in Ireland the country is becoming a better place to get out and do stuff outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Moved out over a year ago yo Brisbane with our twelve year old daughter. Took a while for her to settle in, a week I think it was.

All her new school friends were really nice, outdoor pool in the school, all very welcoming.

The outdoor life and the choices is the biggest bonus.

She starts her new high school next week, private Catholic and looking forward to it. She loves it here.

Yes, it does get warm here but we went snorkeling on Saturday withn no need for wetsuits, I cycle to work every week day in just shorts and a t shirt and that includes 'winter'.

The good weather makes a huge difference to your lifestyle, all for the better in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

. . . As said the kids living in Ireland at the moment is the main issue, the quality of life for them is quite poor. We live in a cul de sac full of kids and when the weather is good its fantastic for the kids as they can play out front all day with their friends. Unfortunately the problems arise when the weather is bad (which as you all know is frequent), my kids have been in everyday after school/Montessori since mid-October. They just cant get outside with either the cold, rain, wind or lack of light in the day. I know this is something that is for the most part resolved come the summer but having to watch my kids stuck indoors for nearly 6 months a year is hard. Its impossible to plan any sort of outdoor activity with them and my wife and I have just arrived at a stage where we feel there must be something more we can do for them.
    I live in Perth, where for a good part of the year kids can be stuck indoors because of the heat. You may escape one problem only to encounter another.
    I know a lot of people have said to me about the sense of community and the likes which is great about Ireland but to be honest that is also non existent these days, life has moved on from 20/25 years ago over here. I barely know half my neighbours and I'm in my house nearly 10 years.
    I'd have to say that Perth can be just as socially isolating as Ireland, if not more so. It's very suburban; when people leave their houses it's invariably by car, and the result is you really don't get to know your neighbours. Like yourself, I'm in the same house for ten years; it's on a quiet residential street, and I know much fewer than half of my neigbours. Apart from my neighbours on either side, there's only one other house on the street that I have ever been across the door of. "Neighbours" is not a reliable guide to life in Australia! In general I have a much smaller circle of friends in Perth than I did in Dublin.

Don't get me wrong; I love it here, and I'm very happy with the move. My wife is from Perth and we have a big extended family here. And it is a good place to raise kids; green, spacious and relaxed. But, as well as moving away from your family, the likelihood is that you will never replace the social connections that you disrupt by emigrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

So much emphasis being put on knowing your neighbours :confused:

On the flipside, Australia is very sports and activities orientated all year round (the weather helps) so there are plenty of opportunities to meet people through a local soccer or cycling club for example.
    Peregrinus wrote: »
    the likelihood is that you will never replace the social connections that you disrupt by emigrating.

Completely disagree. Perth is only as socially isolating as you make it yourself, put in a bit of effort outside your own street and the possibilities are endless for making friends. Especially for children.

As another poster hinted you may trade one problem for another by moving here. The heat is an actual killer whereas how many times have you heard of someone been killed in Ireland by a rainy day? If rainy days stop your kids from playing outside then the UV will knock them out completely. My brother moved to Canada with his four kids and they're out on the street all the time but in the proper gear for snow.

Thanks again for all the replies, really helpful to get so many view points.

At the moment we are fairly isolated from family where we live, I've lost both my parents so my ties in Ireland family wise aren't massive. My wife has a lot of family here but as said we are a good distance from them so we are pretty much used to being by ourselves with the kids and doing our own thing. I don't think cutting family ties by moving would be such a massive thing.

I think the quality of life we have here is poor to be honest, I know it's what you make of it yourself and I am involved in coaching local football teams and schools so I make the best effort of getting out there and mixing and have the kids in Irish dancing & football.

Just feeling that maybe my kids would benefit from actually having a chance to get out and about each day and not being tied to the house all the time. I have considered USA and Canada but think my wife really wants to go to Australia.

A common theme from the replies is the heat issue over there. Is there parts that aren't so extreme heat wise or is it like that all over? Honestly speaking though, having spent so much time in the rain and cold (I've worked outdoor night shifts for the last 7 years) the thought of having a constant stream of good weather is a big plus for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Making a family move there is more to consider than heat/rain & neighbours, probably one of the most pressing questions is what types of visas and are you in a occupation that will support the lifestyle you want?

. . . A common theme from the replies is the heat issue over there. Is there parts that aren't so extreme heat wise or is it like that all over? Honestly speaking though, having spent so much time in the rain and cold (I've worked outdoor night shifts for the last 7 years) the thought of having a constant stream of good weather is a big plus for me
    In much of Australia, "heat" does not equal "good weather". "Too hot" is much, much more restrictive than "too wet", which is our usual problem in Ireland, or "too cold" which, let's face it, doesn't happen that often in Ireland.

But Australia's a big country, and the further south you go the less of a problem you will have with excessive heat. or at least sustained periods of excessive heat; Melbourne, for example, won't give you too much of a problem. And if you do find yourself in a city with hot summers, then there are steps you can take to maximise your enjoyment while minimising the associated problems. The biggest step you can take is to live near the sea, "near" meaning within a kilometre or so, as the crow flies. And the second biggest step you can take is to buy or rent a house with a swimming pool.

A common theme from the replies is the heat issue over there. Is there parts that aren't so extreme heat wise or is it like that all over? Honestly speaking though, having spent so much time in the rain and cold (I've worked outdoor night shifts for the last 7 years) the thought of having a constant stream of good weather is a big plus for me

I worked outdoors in ireland for over a decade, even through those two really bad winters and even in those really subzero mornings I never thought long exposure to this could kill me whereas here (Perth) it's a constant consideration and in the summer it's an everyday threat between bush fires, heat stroke etc.

I do enjoy the absence of chill although in the winter because a lot of Aussie houses aren't well insulated the winters can get chilly too.

Now to make the most of the sun as others have said it's best to live near the ocean or have a pool. Now if you think water rates being introduced in Ireland affects quality of life then you're in for a shock when you get your bill here.

Another thing to consider is sprawl. Imagine every housing estate in Ireland being single story and detached with garage and that's Perth. They like their sprawling bungalows with just enough room for the BBQ (that's their aussie lifestyle box ticked).

To say the Perth suburbs are anonymous is an understatement, they're sterile. I know Aussies who've lived here all their life and they don't know any of their neighbours.

Plus if you're renting in Perth you'll have your quarterly rent inspection where estate agents will cite you for the slightest thing out of place. Even though you might have signed a years contract you can forget any sense of privacy, I reckon it's a throwback to their prison days.

I came here purely for the money and I'm probably going to be finished here this year but if the sun is your only reason for coming all the way out then I'd advise you take a reconnoiter trip first.

Otherwise you might end up in an economic cul de sac and from what I've seen being poor here is definitely tougher than being poor in Ireland.

One question. Has your wife been to Australia or is she basing her notion of better quality of life purely on perceptions?

catbear wrote: »
    I worked outdoors in ireland for over a decade, even through those two really bad winters and even in those really subzero mornings I never thought long exposure to this could kill me whereas here (Perth) it's a constant consideration and in the summer it's an everyday threat between bush fires, heat stroke etc.

I do enjoy the absence of chill although in the winter because a lot of Aussie houses aren't well insulated the winters can get chilly too.

Both important things to consider, especially the latter. Five or six degrees here feels a lot colder than the same back home due to how houses are built.

The loss of daylight savings was a killer for WA and one of the biggest mistakes in my time here. In summer it gets dark around 7/7.30pm so nowhere near as good as Ireland where you can be out kicking a ball until 9.30/10.
    Another thing to consider is sprawl. Imagine every housing estate in Ireland being single story and detached with garage and that's Perth. They like their sprawling bungalows with just enough room for the BBQ (that's their aussie lifestyle box ticked).

What's wrong with that? Imagine preferring a bit of space over a semi-detached house with a tiny garden.

More space with an area to host people for an outdoor meal/bbq or whatever is actually quite appealing. Handy for making those social connections that are so important ;)
    To say the Perth suburbs are anonymous is an understatement, they're sterile. I know Aussies who've lived here all their life and they don't know any of their neighbours.

Again, what's with the obsession regarding knowing neighbours? You're living beside them by coincidence, not by choice, and you probably have absolutely nothing in common.

It's an old Irish mammy mentality that's very much irrelevant imo, otherwise you should knock on doors around the area you plan to buy in before committing to a property. Have to be sure they'll be the sort to pop in for tea and a scone every week.
    Plus if you're renting in Perth you'll have your quarterly rent inspection where estate agents will cite you for the slightest thing out of place. Even though you might have signed a years contract you can forget any sense of privacy, I reckon it's a throwback to their prison days.

While I dislike my quarterly inspections, "estate agents will cite you for the slightest thing out of place" is just scaremongering. I've been renting for seven years and have never had a problem, and that's in three different properties with three different companies.
    I came here purely for the money

And seem to hate the place otherwise, which is strange but your opinion. A bit of objectivity wouldn't go astray though.

Thanks everyone, I seem to of gotten bogged down on a whole weather & neighbours thing. Agree with an earlier comment that it's a very Irish mammy thing that we all have to be best pals with our neighbours. It's not just about living in the sun.

I guess what exactly we are looking for is a better lifestyle for our family. I want to be able to have a nice home for my kids, a chance to have an active/outdoor type lifestyle, a good education for my kids and to be able to work to provide for my family, don't have to earning thousands and thousands, just enough to be comfortable.

Would I be able to tick all the above boxes in Australia?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    While I dislike my quarterly inspections, "estate agents will cite you for the slightest thing out of place" is just scaremongering. I've been renting for seven years and have never had a problem, and that's in three different properties with three different companies.
    My wife left her suitcase on the bed (our bed by the way) and the agent sited us for not having private stuff put away. I did have a go at them for it but having to take time off to put them back in their box is a nuisance. Anyway the real losers are the landlords who get charged a months rent by agents!

Sprawl does have structural issues and I'd class the Perth sprawl as excessive. The Irish mammy notion of knowing your neighbours is excessively intrusive in the other extreme.

I don't like the sprawl and its car dependence but that's just me. Obviously other people have no problem with it but for me not being car dependent is an improvement in my quality of life. I say this after been car dependent before and commuting by car is something I really don't miss.

I totally agree with about the day light savings thing, it's wrecks my head!

BTW, I don't hate the place, but I don't love it either. Truthfully I will miss the sun but little else.

• Advertisement

catbear wrote: »
    My wife left her suitcase on the bed (our bed by the way) and the agent sited us for not having private stuff put away. I did have a go at them for it but having to take time off to put them back in their box is a nuisance. Anyway the real losers are the landlords who get charged a months rent by agents!

That's a bit excessive alright! The house/apartment you're renting should look lived in, which means a few things out of place. Maybe I've just been lucky, and I kinda like the idea of having to do a proper clean every three months. Otherwise I would be living in a bit of a hole :pac:
    Sprawl does have structural issues and I'd class the Perth sprawl as excessive. The Irish mammy notion of knowing your neighbours is excessively intrusive in the other extreme.

I don't like the sprawl and its car dependence but that's just me. Obviously other people have no problem with it but for me not being car dependent is an improvement in my quality of life. I say this after been car dependent before and commuting by car is something I really don't miss.

That brings up another good point for the OP - car dependence.

I, like a lot of young Irish people, couldn't drive when I moved here and found myself fairly stuck. And that was despite living very close to a train station. The bus network is very restrictive in Perth (a lot only go from station to station around long winded routes).

I got my license 18 months after moving here and I'd be lost without a set of wheels. In Dublin, I was fine without.
    I totally agree with about the day light savings thing, it's wrecks my head!

Feckin' farmers!

Thanks everyone, I seem to of gotten bogged down on a whole weather & neighbours thing. Agree with an earlier comment that it's a very Irish mammy thing that we all have to be best pals with our neighbours. It's not just about living in the sun.

I guess what exactly we are looking for is a better lifestyle for our family. I want to be able to have a nice home for my kids, a chance to have an active/outdoor type lifestyle, a good education for my kids and to be able to work to provide for my family, don't have to earning thousands and thousands, just enough to be comfortable.

Would I be able to tick all the above boxes in Australia?
    Yes, you would.

But you can tick all those boxes in Ireland, subject only to being able to find a good job in the current market.

I know it rains in Ireland but, to be honest, I had a more active, outdoor lifestyle in Dublin - I was a keen hillwalker, and I biked to work - than I do in Perth.

On the other hand, my home in Perth is undoubtedly nicer than the home I had in Dublin - bigger house, bigger garden, swimming pool.

(Ignore what Xavi6 and catbear say about daylight saving in Perth. The brief experiment we had with it showed conclusively why, in Perth, it's a really really bad idea.)

(Ignore what Xavi6 and catbear say about daylight saving in Perth. The brief experiment we had with it showed conclusively why, in Perth, it's a really really bad idea.)

Do elaborate...

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Do elaborate...
    Fading the curtins! :)

Well, since you ask . . .

Standard time in Perth is already about half an hour ahead of the sun; when our clocks say noon it’s only about 11:30 by the sun. To that extent, we have a measure of daylight saving time all year round. Which means that, when we were on actual daylight saving time, we were marking noon at what was, in reality, about 10:30 in the morning.

Why is this a problem? Because the further clock time diverges from sun time, the more the rhythm of the day is out of sync with what the environment would suggest. In the case of Perth, this mismatch manifests itself like this; it means that, by the sun, during daylight saving time we start work at about 7:00 am, and finish at about 3:30 pm. And, while this does give us extra free time during the evening daylight, it robs us of a corresponding amount of free time during the morning daylight.

This is a bad deal, because the morning hours are much more pleasant than the evening hours. Perth residents get up early in the summer and do their gardening, their running, their swimming, their cycling and so forth before they go to work. It’s easily the best time of the day for being outdoors - sunny but cool. Doing those things after work is much less pleasant, because of the accumulated heat of the day and - if you don’t work in an air-conditioned environment - the tiredness that comes from having worked through a hot day. Sitting around with friends, outdoors, in your shirtsleeves, chatting over a beer, is quite a pleasant occupation for a summer evening, and you can do it after dark.

In short, daylight saving time is a mechanism for compelling us to spend the most pleasant hours of the day at our desks, in order suit the convenience of businesses that like to be on the phone to Sydney and Melbourne. We’ve had four referendums on the subject, each preceded by a trial period of daylight saving time for between one and three years, and every time we have rejected daylight saving time. Why? Because we’re sane, that’s why. Logic suggests that daylight saving will not be pleasant; experience shows that it isn’t pleasant. You can’t argue with common sense.

Well, since you ask . . .

Standard time in Perth is already about half an hour ahead of the sun; when our clocks say noon it’s only about 11:30 by the sun. To that extent, we have a measure of daylight saving time all year round. Which means that, when we were on actual daylight saving time, we were marking noon at what was, in reality, about 10:30 in the morning.

Why is this a problem? Because the further clock time diverges from sun time, the more the rhythm of the day is out of sync with what the environment would suggest. In the case of Perth, this mismatch manifests itself like this; it means that, by the sun, during daylight saving time we start work at about 7:00 am, and finish at about 3:30 pm. And, while this does give us extra free time during the evening daylight, it robs us of a corresponding amount of free time during the morning daylight.

This is a bad deal, because the morning hours are much more pleasant than the evening hours. Perth residents get up early in the summer and do their gardening, their running, their swimming, their cycling and so forth before they go to work. It’s easily the best time of the day for being outdoors - sunny but cool. Doing those things after work is much less pleasant, because of the accumulated heat of the day and - if you don’t work in an air-conditioned environment - the tiredness that comes from having worked through a hot day. Sitting around with friends, outdoors, in your shirtsleeves, chatting over a beer, is quite a pleasant occupation for a summer evening, and you can do it after dark.

In short, daylight saving time is a mechanism for compelling us to spend the most pleasant hours of the day at our desks, in order suit the convenience of businesses that like to be on the phone to Sydney and Melbourne. We’ve had four referendums on the subject, each preceded by a trial period of daylight saving time for between one and three years, and every time we have rejected daylight saving time. Why? Because we’re sane, that’s why. Logic suggests that daylight saving will not be pleasant; experience shows that it isn’t pleasant. You can’t argue with common sense.

I'll start with a quote from your previous post:
    The brief experiment we had with it showed conclusively why, in Perth, it's a really really bad idea.)

Here's an article from October last year:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/wa-three-hours-behind-as-daylight-saving-come-in/story-fnhocxo3-1226733462064
    Mr Birney said though the majority of people living in Perth had supported daylight saving, the 2009 referendum had not been successful because most country people had rejected the idea.

According to the last referendum, the majority of Perth people didn't think it was a "really really bad idea". If you had said WA then I probably wouldn't have asked you to elaborate because the arguments from farmers etc are somewhat understandable :)

In terms of your "common sense" argument, not everyone wants an extra hour in the morning. An extra hour in the evening allows kids to play for longer or go to the park/beach, are they going to do that before school? Of course not.

The same goes for sports teams. Not every club is fortunate to have sufficient lighting so not having that hour means shorter sessions.
    Perth residents get up early in the summer and do their gardening, their running, their swimming, their cycling and so forth before they go to work.

Massive generalisation. Some do, not all.

The text below is from Wiki but it's supported here -

http://www.abc.net.au/elections/wa/2009/daylightsaving/results-tables.htm
    The 'yes' vote achieved a majority in 24 electorates, all but two of which were in the North Metropolitan and South Metropolitan regions. The electorates of Ocean Reef (63.01%), Perth (59.96%), Joondalup (59.20%), Hillarys (58.33%) and Kingsley (56.66%) recorded the highest 'yes' votes
    Logic suggests that daylight saving will not be pleasant; experience shows that it isn’t pleasant.

I and many others found it very pleasant. If we didn't there would have been a much more one sided poll result.

I guess all of us metro north folk are just insane though.

The referendum results have been pretty consistent over the past forty years; statewide, between 53 and 55% in favour of the status quo; between 45 and 47% in favour of daylight saving. If anything, the margin in favour of the status quo has tended to grow rather than shrink.

The arguments in terms of the most pleasant hours of the day are pretty much the same in both country and city areas, IMO, as are the arguments about sports clubs, outdoor cinemas and so on. I suspect why Perth favours daylight saving more than the rest of the state is because Perth has the greatest concentration of businesses that are in regular communication with Sydney and Melbourne, and the greatest number of people employed in those businesses, and they feel the inconvenience of a three-hour time difference.

The figures you quote are a bit selective; yes, Ocean Reef voted 63% in favour of daylight saving, but why should the view of those who live in Ocean Reef be normative? If you add together all the Perth metro electorates, you have 50.6% in favour of daylight saving, 49.4% against. That's as close to evenly balanced as makes no difference and, given that business and economic interests were very much in favour of daylight saving, I remain confident that those who voted on lifestyle considerations - which is what the OP is askign about - both in town and in the country, were substantially against it. And rightly so! ;-)

This is ultimately driven by geography, and the facts of geography aren't going to change. As pointed out, Perth in fact already observes a partial measure of daylight saving all year round; Not many places that do that, and that are as close to the equator as Perth is, choose to observe a further hour of daylight saving during the summer. If WA, like South Australia, were to adopt a standard time which was not an exact number of hours from UCT, then the case for daylight saving would be stronger (and South Australia, of course, does have daylight saving).

Well regardless of what people already here think it is something to consider if you're thinking of moving to western australia. On my last visit to the east coast i felt having more light in the evening more natural for me.

Can't get into early morning lark at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The long summer evenings in Ireland are a great attraction. You pay for it in the winter but the festivities around Xmas lessen its effects. January is probably the toughest month especially if it is wet and cloudy plus the post Xmas blues.
    Anyway back to the OP. I think the type of work you are in has a big say on matters. Unless you have a qualification or trade in demand it may be very difficult for you to secure work.
    Xavi and others living there with a bit could give you a quick breakdown on costs of living. Also what happens if the economy does nosedive. Will you have an exit plan if all goes pear shaped within a couple of years? No social welfare lifeline and the cost of relocating twice would be tough.
    It is a lot to consider. 10 or 20 years ago Oz was a dream lifestyle but I think that notion is slipping away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Making a family move there is more to consider than heat/rain & neighbours, probably one of the most pressing questions is what types of visas and are you in a occupation that will support the lifestyle you want?

In fairness, this is probably the crux of the situation. Weather, neighbours, lifestyle are all considerations, but it really comes down to how much you can earn and what sort of life this will give you. No point moving all the way to Oz to find yourself no better off, or even WORSE off, financially. Do some serious research, hit the various 'foreigners in Oz' forums and find out general costs of living in whatever area you are thinking of moving to, and also what you (and/or your partner) could potentially earn. If watching 'Wanted Down Under' has taught me anything, it's that sometimes the sums just don't add up....

Advertisement