Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving back to Ireland with 2 under 3 after 6 years in Australia

Options
  • 19-01-2014 7:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

My husband and I are pretty much set on our decision of moving back to Galway sometime toward the end of this year with our two children (both under 3). :) We have lived in Perth for over 5 years at this stage and have come to the point where we feel guilty having our children miss out on their grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles and vice versa - and of course our country, the friendly people, history and culture which is pretty much non existent here.

Australia has been great since day one and we have never said the words "I hate this place" or anything of a sort. At the end of the day, we have done our travelling, had our nights out, met lovely people along the way but now that we have our children we are more than ready to move home. We could never call Perth home - it is, for us, very difficult to get a sense of community - not knowing neighbours, postman, seeing familiar faces when out for a walk or at the shops. It's the small things that we miss greatly. Sure, the lifestyle and weather are great here but you work hard to get money in each week and the cost of living is through the roof. For us to be able to keep a mortgage paid and the bills paid, I would have to work full time and my husband would have to work FIFO (which he is currently doing on 28 days away and 5 days home with me and the kids). That is no life for a family but it is the reality of Perth.

So after my long life story above, has anyone been in a similar situation and done the move? Anyone know anyone who has done it or thinking of doing it? We would like to hear if anyone had a complete change of mind once they moved back home because once we move thats it, there will be no coming back for us!
    Thanks everyone ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

You're not alone in your feelings about Perth, a city designed for cars, not people!

I met an irish guy who fifos from Ireland to PNG, month on, month off and he sees more of his wife and kids than fifos within WA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

A few concerns.

Have you jobs to go back to?

Have you taken out citizenship? ( makes a return possible in years to come)

Have you considered other parts of Australia?

Are you really looking forward to living back in Ireland?

Basically both countries have really awesome aspects to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 An bothar abhaile

Yes, we are Australian Citizens. My husband would more than likely keep the FIFO job until he would find something at home or offshore which would be a shorter swing that what he is currently doing. We can't wait to move home! We are so excited thinking of living back there again, what we're familiar with and being back where we belong but we would like to see if anyone else felt the same and had a change of heart once there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GalwayGirl3204

Hi there....

I'm sooo interested in what replys you get. We are in the same frame of mind here in Melbourne...I've 2 small kids aswell and after 7 years here I'm feeling the draw of home....it's the cost of living here that's ridiculous!!!! I absolutely love Melbourne (actually lived in Perth for a few months 10 years ago and loved it too!) but it's just so expensive now! Thinking a move to Ireland would be easier now when the kids are younger rather than later when they are real little aussies!! I've read so many stories online where people have returned and some did regret it...but others didn't . I don't think we can compare countries as they are so different in every way....weather/lifestyle/education/economy - but what was common in a few of the stories was that they were mostly families with young kids who just felt the need to be nearer to what they know and who they know best....family and friends....it's a different way of life in Ireland but who's to say it's worse or better..it's what we make of it I think...sure the weather is going to be ****ty...but I hate hate hate the summer in Melbourne haha!
    If you're willing to do any work surely there are some jobs at home in Galway????
    The job front is my only concern ..if we get back soon (before the property prices rise in Ireland) we're hoping to buy in Co Galway and have little or no mortgage so we can afford to do any crap job to pay the bills etc until something better comes along.
    If anyone can shed some light on how much it costs to live (Bills, food, water, heating) for a small family in Galway these days that would be helpful also!!!
    (Sorry an bothar abhaile I've just jumped in on your thread and I'm taking over....apologies) hope some good replys from Galwegians are forthcoming !!!!
    Cheers :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

The job front is my only concern ..if we get back soon (before the property prices rise in Ireland) we're hoping to buy in Co Galway and have little or no mortgage so we can afford to do any crap job to pay the bills etc until something better comes along.
    Don't know about CPI (consumer price index) comparisons between Aus and Ireland, I've done my comparison for my own circumstances and the recent drops in the exchange rate is tipping the scales in Europe's favour.
    I wouldn't be too worried about house prices in Galway, current trajectory seems to defy whatever the property industry spews out to the media. In the end the Property Price Register is the best guide to what's really happening in irish property.
    Employment is the priority.

• Advertisement

Thank you so much catbear....much appreciated! :))

The cost of living will be cheaper in Galway no question.

OP you need to go back it's pretty evident you are dying to return. Disregard reasons to stay it's your life to do with as you want.

As a family with 2 infants the lack of family support is very evident.

As long as work can be found for both cases by all means go home both of you.

In my case there is nothing for me in Ireland and after a few weeks I would be coming home to Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 An bothar abhaile

Thank you for all of your replies. I am 100% convinced now that this is right decision for us. Zambia, you put a smile on my face! I agree with what you said - family support is a big thing and we are a close knit family on both sides. I have come to realise lately that life is far too short and we have to go with what makes us happy whenever possible!
    I will keep you all posted before we make the move and after for those in our current position.
    Have a great new year all :) x

• Registered Users Posts: 13 L unknown

Hi Guys,

Following this post is certainly very interesting. I am currently debating on should or shouldn't I go back to Ireland. I have lived in Sydney for 2 years, I have a great job, but it is beyond stressful and I don't get to enjoy the finer things in life that many rave about. I have been offered a great job back at home, and I have little time to make my mind up. Initially I thought I would stay in Oz for another couple of years by that stage I will be over 30. I don't know is any time a good time to make the break!

OP, you are doing the right thing, I have always said I would like to raise my kids in Ireland , and nothing would hold me back from wanting my kids around their grandparents and family.... People always say about Australia having so much more to offer, but I don't always feel that is the case.. Can the beaches, and the weather really substitute family???

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭rebel333

Well I'm doing the exact same thing for the same reason in a few weeks time. I'm nervous but excited at the same time. I suppose if we are not happy we can always come back. The hardest thing was making the decision, now lets see how it goes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

L unknown wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Following this post is certainly very interesting. I am currently debating on should or shouldn't I go back to Ireland. I have lived in Sydney for 2 years, I have a great job, but it is beyond stressful and I don't get to enjoy the finer things in life that many rave about. I have been offered a great job back at home, and I have little time to make my mind up. Initially I thought I would stay in Oz for another couple of years by that stage I will be over 30. I don't know is any time a good time to make the break!

OP, you are doing the right thing, I have always said I would like to raise my kids in Ireland , and nothing would hold me back from wanting my kids around their grandparents and family.... People always say about Australia having so much more to offer, but I don't always feel that is the case.. Can the beaches, and the weather really substitute family???

I think you may have answered your own question!

Sometimes the lifestyle, weather and beaches cannot substitute family. An offer of a good job at home is always going to be tempting. However, I would consider changing jobs and trying to appreciate some of the things the drew you here in the first place before deciding to go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 L unknown

Thanks for the response..... I have limited amount of time to make up my mind on this one. I am sponsored therefore changing jobs is not really on the cards for me, but I am worried if I don't think it, I will regret it down the line...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Whilst it may be great for kids to know their extended famy I think lifestyle and opportunities are also relevant.

I have a very good friend who has lived here with his wife. They went home to Ireland in about 2004 and had a child in 2010. They are now trying desperately to get back into Australia.

They don't see a future in Ireland for their kid. They feel that Ireland has changed beyond recognition from their own childhoods and don't want their son growing up there.

They are not the only couple I know with kids in Ireland who want to come here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Hi there....

I'm sooo interested in what replys you get. We are in the same frame of mind here in Melbourne...I've 2 small kids aswell and after 7 years here I'm feeling the draw of home....it's the cost of living here that's ridiculous!!!! I absolutely love Melbourne (actually lived in Perth for a few months 10 years ago and loved it too!) but it's just so expensive now! Thinking a move to Ireland would be easier now when the kids are younger rather than later when they are real little aussies!! I've read so many stories online where people have returned and some did regret it...but others didn't . I don't think we can compare countries as they are so different in every way....weather/lifestyle/education/economy - but what was common in a few of the stories was that they were mostly families with young kids who just felt the need to be nearer to what they know and who they know best....family and friends....it's a different way of life in Ireland but who's to say it's worse or better..it's what we make of it I think...sure the weather is going to be ****ty...but I hate hate hate the summer in Melbourne haha!
    If you're willing to do any work surely there are some jobs at home in Galway????
    If anyone can shed some light on how much it costs to live (Bills, food, water, heating) for a small family in Galway these days that would be helpful also!!!
    (Sorry an bothar abhaile I've just jumped in on your thread and I'm taking over....apologies) hope some good replys from Galwegians are forthcoming !!!!
    Cheers :))

Yeah house prices are reasonable here now, you will obviously pay a bit more to live around the city or in Oranmore but it's a buyers market at the moment.

There are also jobs if someone is prepered to work at anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If you can get secure work in Ireland you are sorted. Yes taxes and charges have gone up and people have less money in their pockets but the majority of people are still living well - having their annual holiday, eating out and having a few drinks. If you can keep your commute short you can have a good lifestyle.
    It may be obvious but check daft.ie or myhome.ie for ideas on rent. Dublin is very expensive and the cost of living there is running away with itself - 5 euro plus for a pint in many places. But outside of Dublin good value can be got.
    As for Galway everyone seems to want to settle there. Lovely place but the traffic can be very bad.
    In terms of bills we got our bi-monthly ESB bill the other day and it was around 400 eur. Everything in our house is off the ESB. Property tax has come in and water charges are on the way. Between the 2 you are talking between 400 - 700 eur approx per year, more expensive depending on how high your property tax is. A lot of people have got rid of Sky TV as it is too dear and they have lost some of the sports they cover. We got in a free satellite system with a once off installation cost and have all Irish and English channels. Broadband can be got in packages along with TV and phone. I simply have a Mifi dongle with vodafone that gives wifi for 20 eur a month. Mortgage or rent costs will be the biggest issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

Are there social welfare restrictions on Irish citizen's returning to Ireland after an extended period of time living overseas ??

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

yes there can be as you may not have access to welfare immediately depending on your circumstances. It all comes down to what is known as habitual residence

for you to be entitled to welfare, you need to prove to the dept of social protection that you've severed all ties with the country you are leaving and intend to move back to Ireland permanently. this would involve things like closing your australian bank account as an example (this is just one - it can be difficult to prove that you are going back for good)

http://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/sw108.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

OP just on the jobs front Dublin, Cork and Galway are doing much better than other areas and things are starting to look up in general. Almost 1000 jobs announced in Cork in the last week alone.

As said already property prices are starting to creep up and buying in 2014 could be a good idea as it's starting to increase outside Dublin in places like Cork and Galway again but not at the rate seen in Dublin. Problem is Dublin hasn't got enough houses at the minute, imagine that!!

On taxes front, income tax, USC etc are all more less frozen with the last few years and won't be changing within the current Gov term until 2016 and its very likely a possible cut in income tax in 2016 before the election. It has being indicated so you have a good degree of clarity on that front.

On the cost of living there is much more competition around so good deals can be found on electricity, TV/phone etc. In general good prices can be found.

IMO despite the problems over the last few years it has made Ireland a better place and none of the nonsense that was going on with people over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Hi all,

My husband and I are pretty much set on our decision of moving back to Galway sometime toward the end of this year with our two children (both under 3). :) We have lived in Perth for over 5 years at this stage and have come to the point where we feel guilty having our children miss out on their grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles and vice versa - and of course our country, the friendly people, history and culture which is pretty much non existent here.

Australia has been great since day one and we have never said the words "I hate this place" or anything of a sort. At the end of the day, we have done our travelling, had our nights out, met lovely people along the way but now that we have our children we are more than ready to move home. We could never call Perth home - it is, for us, very difficult to get a sense of community - not knowing neighbours, postman, seeing familiar faces when out for a walk or at the shops. It's the small things that we miss greatly. Sure, the lifestyle and weather are great here but you work hard to get money in each week and the cost of living is through the roof. For us to be able to keep a mortgage paid and the bills paid, I would have to work full time and my husband would have to work FIFO (which he is currently doing on 28 days away and 5 days home with me and the kids). That is no life for a family but it is the reality of Perth.

So after my long life story above, has anyone been in a similar situation and done the move? Anyone know anyone who has done it or thinking of doing it? We would like to hear if anyone had a complete change of mind once they moved back home because once we move thats it, there will be no coming back for us!
    Thanks everyone ;)

You better get back soon before the kids are old enough to remember the good life, as they'll sure hold it against you when they feel the misery of an Irish winter and then you'll have something to feel really guilty about.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

if you are coming back make sure you have jobs lined up before you come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 andymun

omg my husband and i in the same position he works 3 weeks on 1 week off have 2.5 year old and 5 month old and i have made the decision in my own head to go home but now im scared im ready but scared, we have partied traveled and enjoyed every moment but no feel its time to go home however hubby will have to stay until he finds work at home, the cost of living is way too expensive but i a have been ready for some time now just need to do it best of luck to u guys

Drogheda girl

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

OP......Your story sounds so familiar................We left AUS over 25 years ago for exactly those reasons. We did not get citizenship at the time even though we had lived there over 5 years. We had PR. We had two children born in AUS in that time so they got AUS passports.

Now 25 years later our two children are now back in AUS in the last few years and we have now decided to move back also, not just to be closer to them, but for a number of reasons, and AUS happens to suit for all those reasons. We will all still ive a fair bit from each other, thousands of miles but short interstate flights are ok as opposed to round the world ones. Ireland has been good to us in those 25 years but am i happier that we moved back and our children got to know their extended family, I really dont know.

Ireland has a lot of issues, Drink, drugs, dont start me on politics etc etc and yes i am very well aware that they exist in AUS also but i feel we have never really grown up in that respect and probably never will. Our kids are well adjusted and enjoy life but i really do not see a future for them in Ireland and i think they now realize this themselves. They are well travelled have done their time in Europe etc and see the lack of opportunity available to them in Ireland. Ireland is a small country and unfortunately still run and controlled by a lot of equally small minded people and that i hate. Ireland will also be paying for the mistakes of the last few years for a long time to come, should you bring your kids back to make them pay for that also, i'm not so sure. Should you come home to pay for it i am less sure on that one.
    Should you move back....only you can decide. But keep your options open for your kids later in life. The fact ours have both AUS and Irish Passports has and will be a lifesaver for them i think.
    We too lived in Perth but will now all move to the East coast (from Melbourne to Sydney to Brisbane) as Perth is just too remote.

As we start another chapter in our lives we wish you well in yours and whatever decision you make. Things change and family will eventually mean a little less maybe and your kids will eventually have their own lives. You will also have given them the opportunity to do as ours have done and never say never and hang on to your TFN you might need it again :-)

andymun wrote: »
    omg my husband and i in the same position he works 3 weeks on 1 week off have 2.5 year old and 5 month old and i have made the decision in my own head to go home but now im scared im ready but scared, we have partied traveled and enjoyed every moment but no feel its time to go home however hubby will have to stay until he finds work at home, the cost of living is way too expensive but i a have been ready for some time now just need to do it best of luck to u guys

Drogheda girl

Thank you and good luck to you guys aswell......im freaking out that we're making a mistake but i also keep thinking we might regret it if we dont...time will tell...at least the kids are aussies and my husband it a citizen ( I have permanet residency) ...so we could return in the future...but it
    'Ll be more likely that the kids will return!! Best of luck

Thank you so much.... everything you're saying is so true....but whatever the draw is...we're definately going back to galway!! I think maybe because I was older leaving and had establised great friendships...not to mention that all my family are in europe...the decision is made...we're going this summer so the kids can aclimatise before the winter lol...... as I said to another lady...at least we can come back in the future...we might end up retiring over here!! For the moment im happy to say goodbye to the heat. We're in Melbourne..........such a beautiful, fabulous city and the best people...but its pretty pricey now...the price you have to pay for being in one of the most liveable cities in the world. Best wishes to you and your family. I appreciate you taking the time to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

skippy2 wrote: »
    OP......Your story sounds so familiar................We left AUS over 25 years ago for exactly those reasons. We did not get citizenship at the time even though we had lived there over 5 years. We had PR. We had two children born in AUS in that time so they got AUS passports.

Now 25 years later our two children are now back in AUS in the last few years and we have now decided to move back also, not just to be closer to them, but for a number of reasons, and AUS happens to suit for all those reasons. We will all still ive a fair bit from each other, thousands of miles but short interstate flights are ok as opposed to round the world ones. Ireland has been good to us in those 25 years but am i happier that we moved back and our children got to know their extended family, I really dont know.

Ireland has a lot of issues, Drink, drugs, dont start me on politics etc etc and yes i am very well aware that they exist in AUS also but i feel we have never really grown up in that respect and probably never will. Our kids are well adjusted and enjoy life but i really do not see a future for them in Ireland and i think they now realize this themselves. They are well travelled have done their time in Europe etc and see the lack of opportunity available to them in Ireland. Ireland is a small country and unfortunately still run and controlled by a lot of equally small minded people and that i hate. Ireland will also be paying for the mistakes of the last few years for a long time to come, should you bring your kids back to make them pay for that also, i'm not so sure. Should you come home to pay for it i am less sure on that one.
    Should you move back....only you can decide. But keep your options open for your kids later in life. The fact ours have both AUS and Irish Passports has and will be a lifesaver for them i think.
    We too lived in Perth but will now all move to the East coast (from Melbourne to Sydney to Brisbane) as Perth is just too remote.

As we start another chapter in our lives we wish you well in yours and whatever decision you make. Things change and family will eventually mean a little less maybe and your kids will eventually have their own lives. You will also have given them the opportunity to do as ours have done and never say never and hang on to your TFN you might need it again :-)

Looks like you made the right choice seeing as you seem to despise your own country so much.

Looks like you made the right choice seeing as you seem to despise your own country so much.

Seriously wtf , stop looking for a fight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Absolute gobsh!te remark there to be fair.

You don't have to despise Ireland to despise the cnuts that keep getting elected and cnuts that keep voting for them.

Typical of the small-mindedness being mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Just my tuppence worth...you would be mad to come back. And I don't despise the country just the way it is at present.

Never have so many paid so much for so little ...

This country is fecxed. Corruption is rife in political and the public sector. Check the national papers for further details. The goverment had decided to to an leary on the citizens, in that we are being charged for everything and then charged again and again. Water, household charges, bin charges etc. then if you are lucky enough to be in employment you will be charged high levels of taxes, prsi, USC and the goverment now plan on making private health cover directly from your wages. The prsi and USC give you no rights whatsoever to medical cover - you are paying for state funded providers such as VHI and for public hospital services but turn up at a 'public' hospital and you will be charged thru the roof for everything. To get a medical card is nigh on impossible unless you are practically dead and penniless and even then they will ask for a review just in case you havn't died quickly enough. Local 'interests' under the guise of 'charitable status' are given charge of massive amounts of national and EU funds to pay those at the top massive salaries and 'provide' services, to use an Irish saying Mor Yeah....

As a young person if you are unemployed you will be 'asked' to participate in compulsory 'employment' schemes where the is a minimal payment to work full time for private employers stacking shelves or 'charitable status' organisations with dubious political connections to undertake other 'useful' jobs. Although if you are a fully qualified solicitor you can also be employed under similar 'employment' schemes.

Take my advice and give your children a chance in a country where they have a chance of a decent future.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bean14

im a first time mammy of a ten week old baby girl. i am very lucky that both sets of grandparents live nearby. i really value having family close by. yes ireland isnt the best country in the world but i love the sense of community and family that i have come to appreciate in recent weeks. little things like going into a shop and somebody congratulating me. wild horses wouldnt take me away especially now i have a child. best of luck with the move

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Just to give the other side. I moved back havng lived in New York for 8 years and Australia for 1.
    Hated Australia,coming from New York it just didn't appeal to me at all.
    Anyway came home, got a bull**** job in a call centre.

I went from earning 1400 dollars (US) a week to earning 368 euros.
    I adjusted and to be honest I'm loving it here.
    There is work. It may no be what you want to do but its work and it'll keep you going.
    If all the reasons you list are genuine you will make it work. You will find enjoyment in the company you keep not the extravagances your lifestyle allows you in Australia.

People keep saying he country is ****ed but to be honest I get my wage and make it work for me. I have to laugh at people saying there is not future for your kids here. Your kids are 15 years away from having o worry about there future. Who knows what will happen in those 15 years.

Just to add,I have since moved from that Job to abetter paying job. It is possible

Advertisement