Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Australia with young children

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

I agree that the first issue is job/s and income. If you can those sorted then you can have a fantastic family life here in Australia. My children (3 and 5) love it here. I think there are amazing facilities such as council pools, brilliant playgrounds and wonderful opportunities for outdoor life. I have found the pre school system in Victoria very well set up. I find Australian children to be confident and friendly and polite and who wouldn't like that for their own children!

Of course it is different to home and what you know but you get used to it. With young children in kinder or school you will find yourselves making connections with other families and parents and it's a way to make friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I have a question.

When you bring your kids to the doctor in ireland does it cost you anything?

I ask as I have not paid(been charged) one bill medically for my kids here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

in a few years there will be great opportunities in Ireland,if going I would go on a temp visa rent out your house,for 2 years
    and rent in Australia,what work do you do,

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

The heat thing is a crock I reckon. We are in Brisbane & my Irish born kids never moan about the heat. There are always pools, beaches & air con for the really hot days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

in a few years there will be great opportunities in Ireland,if going I would go on a temp visa rent out your house,for 2 years
    and rent in Australia,what work do you do,

Serious question

In what areas,?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

Lualme wrote: »
    Hey,
    Just wondering if anyone could let me know of their experience of settling in Australia with a young family. Myself and my wife are seriously considering making the move but shifting the kids down there and hoping they settle is a big worry for me (they are 7,4 and 3 years old).
    Has anyone moved there with a young family and settled there perfectly or has it been a mistake.
    I basically just want to give my children a better quality of lifestyle then I feel they have here at the moment and open them up to more opportunities as they get older that I feel they won't have in Ireland. Any advice would be welcomed.

In my experience, if you are the type of family that does everything together, you will find it much easier to settle.

If you come to Aus & are happy to load up the car & for the 5 of you to head off to the beach or the playground or the pool or whatever, you will settle faster.

If you prefer to each do your own thing, you may find it harder to settle & miss your old life more.

You are lucky in one way in that having young kids, starting school will help you meet other parents as well.

As I say, that has just been my experience as a returning Australian with an Irish wife. 2 of my 3 kids were born in Dublin as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭x00085999

Just looking for info on what's needed to take the next session in moving abroad to australia. Shud I be looking for a job offer before I move. Do I need special visas for the family

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

x00085999 wrote: »
    Just looking for info on what's needed to take the next session in moving abroad to australia. Shud I be looking for a job offer before I move. Do I need special visas for the family

You need visas for everyone, special visas are only for kiwis ....,you need to meet the criteria for some sort of visa wether it Skilled migration visa or employer sponsored.

Job offer is useless without a visa unless you have some amazing skill where employer is willing to pay to sponsor you. I wouldn't recommend sponsored 457 visa with a family unless you love the thrill of a gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

mandrake04 wrote: »
    You need visas for everyone, special visas are only for kiwis ....,you need to meet the criteria for some sort of visa wether it Skilled migration visa or employer sponsored.

Job offer is useless without a visa unless you have some amazing skill where employer is willing to pay to sponsor you. I wouldn't recommend sponsored 457 visa with a family unless you love the thrill of a gamble.

Curious to know what you mean by this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Curious to know what you mean by this?
    Essentially you could blow loads of cash and energy getting you and yours over here on a 457 only for the sponsor to run out of work/go bust leaving you three months to find another sponsor and failing that having to move the whole lot back to Ireland. 457 is handy if you're footloose and fancy free and have no problems walking away if your sponsor is taking advantage. Otherwise it can be a tense couple of years until residency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

catbear wrote: »
    Essentially you could blow loads of cash and energy getting you and yours over here on a 457 only for the sponsor to run out of work/go bust leaving you three months to find another sponsor and failing that having to move the whole lot back to Ireland. 457 is handy if you're footloose and fancy free and have no problems walking away if your sponsor is taking advantage. Otherwise it can be a tense couple of years until residency.

Gotcha, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ad1234

Lualme wrote: »
    Hey,
    Just wondering if anyone could let me know of their experience of settling in Australia with a young family. Myself and my wife are seriously considering making the move but shifting the kids down there and hoping they settle is a big worry for me (they are 7,4 and 3 years old).
    Has anyone moved there with a young family and settled there perfectly or has it been a mistake.
    I basically just want to give my children a better quality of lifestyle then I feel they have here at the moment and open them up to more opportunities as they get older that I feel they won't have in Ireland. Any advice would be welcomed.

Hi I am just wondering if you went ib the end and have any advice, requirements ect. We are in the same decision making phase now, our kids are 8, 5 and 3. Any advice would be great.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 2 amanda1982

Hi Lualme,
    Did you make the move, if so how did it go? We are considering a similar move with young children?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 amanda1982

Hi,
    Did you make the move in the end? We are considering a move down under with our young children and would appreciate any advice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

amanda1982 wrote:
    Hi Lualme, Did you make the move, if so how did it go? We are considering a similar move with young children?

Just be aware, Australia is in the middle of a major housing boom at the moment, with most cities experiencing high costs of living, some commentators believing a bust just like our own is inevitable soon. Lovely country though. Best of luck

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Just be aware, Australia is in the middle of a major housing boom at the moment, with most cities experiencing high costs of living, some commentators believing a bust just like our own is inevitable soon. Lovely country though. Best of luck

By some commentators do you mean Steve Keen as you seem to be a big fan of his?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

@Wanderer78 statistically speaking house prices have fallen, month on month in Australia for the first time in 5 Quarters. This trend as far as I believe is expected to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kildare263

Hey @Lualme

I came across your post when looking for the same opinion /advice on moving to Oz with my family (partner and 3yr old)

I'm just wondering, did you make the move and if so how did it go? If not, what was the final decision maker?

Thanks

Advertisement