Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Condoms

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,564 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Confused as to why you'd make such an awful 'joke'.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

I think Catholic guilt must be at least a part of the issue in Ireland.

And when you buy them (or any related product) in a pharmacy, the receipt just says "Chemist goods"... is that just an Irish thing? Even the pharmacies are being overly discreet!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

maximoose wrote: »
    In my tesco they are in security boxes so you still need a staff member!

The last time I bought condoms was just after Christmas, it was my last day at home in Belfast and I was getting rid of sterling before the car journey back to Dublin. Went to local tesco and there was a decent offer on Skyns, so I bought around 6 boxes. My normal tradition when heading back to Dublin from home is also to stock up on NI Tayto Cheese and Onion, and I bought three 24 bag multipacks.

The look on yer one at the checkout, I think she honestly thought I was having some sort of weird sexy crisp party.

Same in my local tesco.

I'd say she more than likely was thinking you won't be geting anywhere near a woman after eating all those crisps. :) Though you may lure them home with the promise of Tayto.

I was embarassed the first couple of times, then again later on when I decided to try the larger ones to see how they were. Embarassment was partially due to me thinking the girl would think I was being big hea.. cocky... Ah you know what I mean (stupid unwanted puns) but was also partially due to the fact there were a couple of girls coming up behind me who were in their early teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

The person who works in my local chemist happens too be a family member
    a big mouth type of family member who loves all gossip
    Me da always gives me a wink everytime I come home from the shops now :/ even worse she always asks did I get lucky on the weekend in front of customers :L abit craic though all part of growing up
    would'nt mind to be honest if it was someone I didn't know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Horrible things, condoms. Hate them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Slam a 40 pack of XL down on the counter and when she looks at you in disbelief give her a nod and a wink like the boss you are..."oh and a one pack of the extra small...erm for my...uh friend...yeah"

^^

I find that a normal condom fits around a pineapple! Why on earth are XL a thing. Anyway they're awful yokes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

I buy them by the gross

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

catallus wrote: »
    I find that a normal condom fits around a pineapple! Why on earth are XL a thing.
    Because there's a demand from men who find regular sized condoms too small.

I used to be slightly embarrassed in my youth buying condoms in the local pharmacy, it was very likely that you'd bump into a neighbour while doing it.
    Wouldn't bother me anymore though. That and I buy them online now, as they're cheaper and you get a better selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I definitely think that is part of it. Most schools here have religious programmes that have a very negative attitude towards sex in general. They teach shame at anything to do with nudity, sexuality and sex. It is hard to get out of that kind of brainwashing after your schooling.
    I think your stuck about 30 years in the past there. Things have moved on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

ted1 wrote: »

Why else would people be embarrassed buying condoms then as opposed to toilet paper or sanitary towels?
    Religious education is still very strong in schools here.

Why else would people be embarrassed buying condoms then as opposed to toilet paper or sanitary towels?
    Religious education is still very strong in schools here.
    No it's not. Sex Ed is thought and the use if contraceptives is widely encouraged

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

No it's not.

Ah ok so primary school children do not do obligatory religious classes from 9-10am every morning. Nor do most secondary schools have multiple obligatory religious classes throughout the week? When I was at school abstinence was still taught as the preferred method of contraception along with planning around menstruation. There was a nod given to condoms and other forms of contraception but to say it was encouraged would be an exaggeration and it was made clear that they were forbidden by the Catholic Church.

To stay on topic then why do you believe people are embarrassed about buying condoms as opposed to toilet paper or sanitary towels? Up to now you have just contradicted without putting forward any points of your own on the topic.

Jaysus, to blame the religion because some guy goes red in the face when picking up a pack of rubbers is a bit of a stretch, even for an atheist zealot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I don't think they have that much.

If I remember correctly the sex education I got in Secondary school, which was a little over 15 years ago, was very much along the lines of "sex outside of marriage is bad".

It was basically an hour of a lay religious person saying, sex when you're married is good, and if you have sex as a teenager it'll be in a ditch somewhere, with your mates jeering you and you'll probably get an STD and get the girl pregnant.

The only time condoms were discussed was when we were given a seperate talk on HIV/AIDS.

Have a look at this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056700198

It show's what's in one of the books that's available for the Junior cert. curriculum on SPHE.

Ah ok so primary school children do not do obligatory religious classes from 9-10am every morning. Nor do most secondary schools have multiple obligatory religious classes throughout the week? When I was at school abstinence was still taught as the preferred method of contraception along with planning around menstruation. There was a nod given to condoms and other forms of contraception but to say it was encouraged would be an exaggeration and it was made clear that they were forbidden by the Catholic Church.

To stay on topic then why do you believe people are embarrassed about buying condoms as opposed to toilet paper or sanitary towels? Up to now you have just contradicted without putting forward any points of your own on the topic.

Schools I went to thought about safe sex and for religion we learned about the spiritual side of all different faiths, even though the secondary school was taught by caramalites they didn't force their beliefs but taught religion (all religions)

Shyness about sex is a mixture if stuff, our climate means were covered in clothes most if the time so nudity is rarely seem. Small town mentality etc

With regards the link you posted, there's no context to the scanned image, perhaps the book gives different views.
    I tend to stay away from that forum as I think that the posters are worse that jevoah witnesses in that they force their beliefs on people and want everyone to do things their way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

For me lads its 100% not religion, Bought them off a lad in the shop to use with a girl who worked in said shop, my mother also worked there, the lad told her what I had bought
    Ah the joys off being 17 :o
    So I think thats where the awkwardness comes from, but saying that if I buy them off a lad now I couldnt give a ****

• Site Banned Posts: 19 All ceminists are funts

I find it hard to believe that men would be embarrassed about buying jonnies, unless of course they have a small todger and are purchasing the extra small variety.

For women it's understandable because it gives the impression that don't know when or with whom they will do the deed. It gives the impression they are loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Or the women are just being as responsible as the men who buy them

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

having worked on till before.. Honestly the cashier barely notices what they are scanning...i wouldn't have flinched if you came up with boxes of XL condoms, lube etc I would be so bored outta my brains that I would just be on auto pilot scanning things through....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I get them in the supermarket usually, sometimes an ould wan behind me would open the eyes a bit when she sees them but it doesn't bother me, it's not as if I've bought anything illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭fibix

(..) sex when you're married is good, and if you have sex as a teenager it'll be in a ditch somewhere, with your mates jeering you and you'll probably get an STD and get the girl pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

A girl I went to school with told us this stoy one day, she used work on a check out in spar and on most friday/saturday nights the common thing bought was alcohol.."have a good night" was said a lot instead of "have a nice day"
    A women in her 40's arrived up to the counter with a box of condoms, nothing wrong and scanned them and took the money, but when giving back the change she said "have a good night" cue a lot embarrassing looks from both parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I think it was about two moons ago when I last bought them. I got a box of durex red and a bottle of lube in a pharmacy. 2 girls at the cashier standing side by side. She scans it, all very civil. I get my items, put them in my Dunnes Stores bag along with a bottle of JD, can of pringles and freezer bags. Proceed to egress the gaff. Just as I get to the door I hear sniggers and "that guy just....."

That's all I picked up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Last time i bought them i bought 48, along with three cans of red bull and 2 tubes of berocca, young girl at the checkout, she looked a bit terrified tbh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Snako

I'm still heading up to Belfast to get mine

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Snako wrote: »
    I'm still heading up to Belfast to get mine

Jaysus, hope you're not traveling too far.
    I think they're legal down Southern Ireland!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Snako

Panthro wrote: »
    Jaysus, hope you're not traveling too far.
    I think they're legal down Southern Ireland!:pac:

Since when?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

My ex used to refuse to buy them, I had no problem buying them, he wouldn't even go to the til with me if we were in a pharmacy together. Never understood it

• Advertisement
Advertisement