Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Condoms

Options
  • 16-01-2014 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Just seen on the Ladies site, just keeping an eye on what they are getting up to :pac:
    For me buying them is always a really awkward ordeal, I to this day dont know which is worse buying them off a really hot young girleen or off an aul wan :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

astonaidan wrote: »
    Just seen on the Ladies site, just keeping an eye on what they are getting up to :pac:
    For me buying them is always a really awkward ordeal, I to this day dont know which is worse buying them off a really hot young girleen or off an aul wan :o

I to this day dont know which is worse...... polling a really hot young girleen or an aul wan.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I go to Tesco at half 5 in the morning when its quiet and no one around and use the self service tills ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Couldn't care less who I buy them off. I feel like a right stud buying them off anyone every single time. :cool:

So, that would be twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Don't really see the problem, honestly, they serve a purpose connected to a basic human function. Applying the same mentality, one should be embarrassed about paying for toilet paper when the cashier is a good looking woman...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Bring the pharmacist down to your level of awkwardness. Ask them is there anywhere you can try them on.

Seriously though, I know its easier said than done not to be embarrassed, but everyone uses them. The person behind the counter, more often that not, is just like you and I. Worst they'll do is think, "Wahey", for a second, and move on. Probably will never think of it again or recognise you if they passed you on the street.

There's plenty more embarrassing things to be buying in a chemist, or wherever, than condoms anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I used to feel incredibly awkward about it. To get over that, I went in the opposite direction, picking up a box or two in the store and having a good old read, looking through the selection of lubes... now it wouldn't phase me in the slightest. And I'd definitely go to the till with the hot girleen, every time. Regardless of the purchase! :)

My only problem with condoms are the damned expiration dates on the 3-packs. Damn you, social pressure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

feel like child buyin a dirty mag its just so akward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

I don't feel any shame in buying condoms. I just walked up to the counter and grab a box and some woman in her 40's scanned them and didn't bat an eyelid. :D

I Don't understand people who are afraid to buy them in a chemist but if you are then you could always buy them online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Extra strong and tub of KY- not an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Maybe the fact I live in a little town and everyone knows me, no joking I used to by them in a Supermarket in Sydney and always ended up getting served by the same cute little Aussie who used always smile at me scanning them, it made it 1000 times worse :(
    Going to try the self service option anymore

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Don't be worrying about those other people. Some may be jealous that you're getting some and they are not :pac:

Its no bother at all buying them tbh. Just grab a box of the preferred ones, off to the till and pay for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Maybe the fact I live in a little town and everyone knows me, no joking I used to by them in a Supermarket in Sydney and always ended up getting served by the same cute little Aussie who used always smile at me scanning them, it made it 1000 times worse :(
    Going to try the self service option anymore

surely that would have made it better? sounds like the perfect opening for a chat?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I usually buy a tube of KY when I'm getting my prescriptions in the chemist so I just slip it in there. The pharmacist is a guy though so that helps. Never bought condoms before but I would just do the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

wexie wrote: »
    surely that would have made it better? sounds like the perfect opening for a chat?
    In my head Im saying should I get another pack, in real life Im blushing like a school girl :(

In my head Im saying should I get another pack, in real life Im blushing like a school girl :(

Believe me I know it can be hard.

But the next time you're in and she smiles at you, just say : hi, how are you?

That's all it takes, if she interested she'll let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Not a problem buying them. Not that I go to pay them with a big grin, like, hey, I'm getting my bit :pac:
    Was looking for some the other day in Boots and saw "pleasure for women" products. Laughed out loud at "Cross my Palm"
    brilou23 wrote: »
    feel like child buyin a dirty mag its just so akward
    Reminds me of a friend, he'd buy a pile of tech/games magazines and thow in the odd dirty one.

Yeah, a friend.

Barna77 wrote: »
    Not a problem buying them. Not that I go to pay them with a big grin, like, hey, I'm getting my bit :pac:
    Was looking for some the other day in Boots and saw "pleasure for women" products. Laughed out loud at "Cross my Palm"

that's probably not something I should Google at work is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,165 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

When I was 16 I worked in a pub as a lounge boy. Myself and a couple of the others used to walk to the 24 hour shop after work and get some munch and what have you. I was in my first sexual relationship during that summer so I used to buy my condoms in the 24 hour shop. I used to always get served by a guy with a beard who began calling me "Johnny" because that's what I was always buying! Before long, every member of staff used to be shouting "Here's Johnny".

Summer was over and I went back to school. Monday morning we had a class where they were teaching us about safe sex. The principal gave an introduction and then passed the class to our new religion teacher.......... who happened to be the guy with the beard form the 24 hour shop :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭maximoose

WikiHow wrote: »
    I go to Tesco at half 5 in the morning when its quiet and no one around and use the self service tills ;)

In my tesco they are in security boxes so you still need a staff member!

The last time I bought condoms was just after Christmas, it was my last day at home in Belfast and I was getting rid of sterling before the car journey back to Dublin. Went to local tesco and there was a decent offer on Skyns, so I bought around 6 boxes. My normal tradition when heading back to Dublin from home is also to stock up on NI Tayto Cheese and Onion, and I bought three 24 bag multipacks.

The look on yer one at the checkout, I think she honestly thought I was having some sort of weird sexy crisp party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Donalh

I always thought this to be an Irish dilemma, catholic Ireland and all that. I say this because in UK or France you see people proudly plonk them at the till no problem. Also, I dated and lived with an English girl for some time and her mother used to mail us wads of the things.. either she REALLY didn't want me knocking up her daughter which is a possibility ;-) but in all seriousness I believe its just not an issue for most English to be open and transparent about sex. One step further on that note, i was in a chemist once in the UK and a girl walked in a confidently asked for the morning-after pill and a glass of water - my Irish female friends always gasp in horror when i tell them this, my UK friends are like.. "yeah, so what?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭burnhardlanger

wexie wrote: »
    Believe me I know it can be hard.

But the next time you're in and she smiles at you, just say : hi, how are you?

That's all it takes, if she interested she'll let you know.

*titter*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

The only time I haven't felt embarrassed about it was when the person serving me started to take the piss, totally breaks the tension for me and I can dish it back out in droves then. It's when they try to be discreet that's when I get embarrassed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I never understood why people get embarrassed about buying condoms.

Who gets embarrassed about people knowing they were getting laid enough to buy a pack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

I have a friend when he was 18 or 19 would act a ridicolous question to the cashier like or these good for Anal or are these safe to use with my cat in a old man grunting voice. He would always ask in a petrol when we were with him and the poor attendant wouldn't know what to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

This thread reminds of this...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I never understood why people get embarrassed about buying condoms.

Catholic guilt?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Catholic guilt?

Nope.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Nope.

I definitely think that is part of it. Most schools here have religious programmes that have a very negative attitude towards sex in general. They teach shame at anything to do with nudity, sexuality and sex. It is hard to get out of that kind of brainwashing after your schooling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Bought some in boots the other day and the girl asked if I wanted a bag. I said no Ill wear them out. She was very confused.

Advertisement