Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westwood Gym

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

davmol wrote: »

Yea,its more expensive than other gyms but i think ben dunne you have to pay extra to use classes?

nope classes are free in Ben Dunnes.

classes are are useful for gyms as they free up lots of space and equipment in the gym

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

As has been mentioned on here- stay well clear of the Westwood!
    There is much better value out there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Was down on Westwood clontarf for the first time today. It occurred to me that there was no access to the pool from the male changing rooms . Is this the case? I looked around but didn't see a door that led to the pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

jon1981 wrote: »
    Was down on Westwood clontarf for the first time today. It occurred to me that there was no access to the pool from the male changing rooms . Is this the case? I looked around but didn't see a door that led to the pool.

Through the showers and down the stairs

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lottie2850

Hi there ,

My membership in Westwood Clontarf was cancelled after 13 years as I liked and shared a herald.ie post last week on a case against the gym manager bullying staff and the staff awarded compensation as a result . She called me a mean girl told me to get out and watch the film. I checked my contract and it says the gym manager has the right to cancel membership at her discretion.

I am shocked think it's crazy and wonder has anyone else the same experience.

Please reply , thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Lottie2850 wrote: »
    Hi there ,

My membership in Westwood Clontarf was cancelled after 13 years as I liked and shared a herald.ie post last week on a case against the gym manager bullying staff and the staff awarded compensation as a result . She called me a mean girl told me to get out and watch the film. I checked my contract and it says the gym manager has the right to cancel membership at her discretion.

Nope. Never had it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Me neither, hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cuso

Hi there ,

Hi.

Just have seen this post. Exactly same happened to me last week. After 10 years and doing **** loads of work there for free organising tennis competition GM kicked me out. Repetitive verbal abuse.... Means asking questions about bad lights on courts since they introduced new system there. Never was too good there in tes of lights but with new system that place is well bellow any standard ( did measurement with lux meter so I know what I'm talking about). As some said talk to GM and your days there are numbered. Is she for real?

How did u end up? I'm considering consumer rights case. Its disgraceful what she is doing

Cuso

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lottie2850

Hi there,

My hairdresser and a number of others were told to leave. It's a shame cause the instructors are great , she is leaving to go to Leopardstown , would you consider going to court letters have been sent to her and just ignored , I am in a gym called compound fitness and it's run by ex Westwood instructors and I love it .

If you want to contact me privately with your number as there are a number of others that have issue and may want to pursue legal route .

I feel your humiliation and disgusted .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cuso

Hi there,

My hairdresser and a number of others were told to leave. It's a shame cause the instructors are great , she is leaving to go to Leopardstown , would you consider going to court letters have been sent to her and just ignored , I am in a gym called compound fitness and it's run by ex Westwood instructors and I love it .

If you want to contact me privately with your number as there are a number of others that have issue and may want to pursue legal route .

I feel your humiliation and disgusted .

Hi thnx.

Might see u soon in compound then. Let u know when im around. You are right lot of nice people and good instructors there. Loved bodyattack classses with seb, steve or girls. Its shame that place is run by creature like kp. But we all know why she is there. Not being that she would probably be cleaning streets no disrespect to those people... No interpersonal or people management skills at all.
    Just got feedback from consumer rights. Basically what and how she did is fully to her discretion. Management has right to terminate contract and nothing can stop it or object. Can challenge she fabulated story and was damaging my name spreading galse story but its for long shot and honestly she's not worth it. Besides that there are number of court cases and orders against her and did it change her? Not at all. She has mental issues pity there is no one I'm ww above her without personal connection to her to tell her.
    BTW hard luck to people in leopardstpwn. Heard that 2 of the managers and receptionist already left when they found out she was moved there. And that's just beginning.

So c u in compound havent seen oisin and keV for ages. BTW do u remember Dave all tall nz guy matt? Can't believe the way she manages the place it still runs

Cuso

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Caoimhin

I have been I member of Westwood Clontarf for year now and honestly I have had no problem with it at all. The new layout and equipment is class, especially the functional strength area. I never experience any queues,waiting, problems with parking etc. But there is one thing to note I go at about 8 o clock in the morning, it is a totally different world compared to the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Im also a member there and thiink they have fantastic set up.They Invested alot of money and put in a new functional area,as above,lots of new weights,equipment,squat racks and benches.I go in the evening and even though there is large crowds you wont be long waiting for equipment.

The sprint track they have is great.The Boxfit room is better equipped than many boxing gyms.Tons of classes too from very early in teh morning until 9/10 at night.

There is also a large variety of classes to keep everyne interested.

Saying that i have never dealt with this person you are referring to so obviously my experiences have been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Caoimhin wrote: »
    I have been I member of Westwood Clontarf for year now and honestly I have had no problem with it at all. The new layout and equipment is class, especially the functional strength area. I never experience any queues,waiting, problems with parking etc. But there is one thing to note I go at about 8 o clock in the morning, it is a totally different world compared to the evenings.
    no queues because everyone is leaving or has left.

to be honest the big box gym model is IMO dying.

Any good trainer would NEVER stay in a big gym as they're generally treated very badly (no developmental system or proper further education, no concrete systematic way to work with all clients), paid even worse and massively overworked with having to teach an excessive amount of classes daily.

That was my experience 15yrs ago and ive plenty of friends in the industry that tell me its no different today in the big gyms

I always encourage people to join smaller gyms that are more welcoming yet clean, tidy and run well

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Caoimhin

Transform wrote: »

Any good trainer would NEVER stay in a big gym as they're generally treated very badly (no developmental system or proper further education, no concrete systematic way to work with all clients), paid even worse and massively overworked with having to teach an excessive amount of classes daily.

That was my experience 15yrs ago and ive plenty of friends in the industry that tell me its no different today in the big gyms

I always encourage people to join smaller gyms that are more welcoming yet clean, tidy and run well

I am not in it for the trainers tbh, I am in it for the facilities. I really like a wide list of things I can do and completely mix up my training. If I want to train on monkey bars, jump on the climbing wall, strength train, swim etc. It is nice to have them all in the one place without traveling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Transform wrote: »

We'd have to agree to disagree there! Big Box gyms are thriving at the moment - Flye Fit and Ben Dunne are opening new places, west Wood numbers are growing and other big health clubs are doing well from what I know.
    Some gyms are better than others are staff development though, so I agree there.

(I dont work in WW anymore so no vested interest)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

We'd have to agree to disagree there! Big Box gyms are thriving at the moment - Flye Fit and Ben Dunne are opening new places, west Wood numbers are growing and other big health clubs are doing well from what I know.
    Some gyms are better than others are staff development though, so I agree there.

(I dont work in WW anymore so no vested interest)
    cool, I think the bigger gyms cost more to run and the public will slowly realise there is better value and assistance to be had elsewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I went to this once last week and it wasn't for me, more like a nightclub than a gym. The climbing wall and tennis courts were pretty impressive however the price was outrageous

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭mugwumpjism

Hi All,

An update for anyone who is interested. I went for the 4 day free trial last week, nice fella showed me around...he wasn't that interested but then I can't blame him for that. Anyway the deal is if you sign up on the first day of the trial it's 125 sign on fee which rises everyday up to 499. Had the trial, my impressions are, the staff were nice, the gym is huge but yes feels more like a nightclub than a gym, pool was good and the spa area is just ok, busy, a little dirty and nothing special. Didn't try the classes but seems like a good selection. I have been a member of sportsco for years and to be honest it is cleaner, nicer and has a much nicer pool and spa (although obviously the gym in westwood is vastly bigger and thus better range of machines). The long and short of it is I told him there was no way I was paying 499 or even 125 sign on and that friends have had loads of texts recently for a 31 sign on...he said he would ask management but it was a long shot...I haven't heard back from him and to be honest I am not too upset. It works out at 900 a year (75 a week), is it worth that...no not at all but as I said I was only there 4 days so can't comment on management etc.

Its fully the potential members choice.

Its possible to pay 900 upfront and get 15 months membership which works out at 60 quid a month.

Classes are wide and varied such as spinning,Circuits,kettlebells Boxfit etc.

Classes run from 7am ish until 9ish at night.

theres a childs pool and a 50 metre pool along with spa area-Jacuzzi,steam room and sauna.

Ive heard it get bashed previously but I really cant find anything wrong with it and have been a very happy member for a long time now.

Peoples bad impressions seems to stem from their dealing with management/ sales people but ive had little to do with them-I just pay and go.

Plenty of gyms out there.Go for trials and see what makes you happy.

Hey Davmol,

can you explain the 900 up front and 15 month membership this certainly wasn't offered to me, when did you get this? I chatted to them yesterday and there was no budge on the sign on fee. As I said they have all been very friendly and I was only there 4 days so could only get a feel for the place, if it was 60 quid a month I would say it was good value....at present they want 75 a month plus 499 sign on which works out at 116 a month for your first year, I reckon I could buy new pecs and abs for that and build a sauna out the back!

• Advertisement

Hey Davmol,

can you explain the 900 up front and 15 month membership this certainly wasn't offered to me, when did you get this? I chatted to them yesterday and there was no budge on the sign on fee. As I said they have all been very friendly and I was only there 4 days so could only get a feel for the place, if it was 60 quid a month I would say it was good value....at present they want 75 a month plus 499 sign on which works out at 116 a month for your first year, I reckon I could buy new pecs and abs for that and build a sauna out the back!

Basically as it states.If you pay 900 up front you get an extra 3 months free on the membership.Its what im on but im not sure if that's for existing members.
    You cant pay monthly just all up front.

But did you initially pay a sign up fee when you joined or was this the deal you got when you first signed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

The joining fee is 100% €31.

I know this as fact because I have a friend who works in Westwood sales.

They are told to try and get the customer to pay anything between €31 and €499 (€31 is the lowest they can accept). They are told to use their gut instinct and see if the customer is the type that would be willing to pay a higher price, in which case they'll bluff and say the joining fee is X amount.

It's a complete con. Do not pay anything more than €31 to join.

I've been a member for years as I love the gym, you're always guaranteed a machine and I find the changing rooms very clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Do not pay the 149 euro . My friend got roped into paying it n got a letter in the post about the 31e a few days later. I get the impression the pull figures out of a hat depending on how gullible you seem. Stick to your guns and I'll bet they come down in price

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. Well I went back to a different fella in sales and he said the same thing that it was a Sept offer and I can't join for €31. I told him I would not pay more than this. There was no haggling he just said well I will tell you in the future of special offers etc. So maybe they have their membership quota for the year and have been told to try and get at least €125 joining fee? I told him I was looking to join immediately. So I reckon I will have to look elsewhere..silly people they are down €900 and as I normally stay in gyms for a number of years probably multiples of that.

and just to be clear I stated early on that I would not pay the elevated joining fee but would pay the €31. From all the posts on boards about Westwood the common theme is that they will say a higher price but will then say it is x for the next 10 days and then eventually come right down to the 31 or near enough. I was surprised by the sales team as they really didn't try to sign me up or put a counter offer in, I can only presume they had allot of people sign up for the €31 in Sept and don't need members for a while? All very pleasant to deal with but defo not interested in closing the deal. I'll look elsewhere now.

I got the joining fee waived as I was previously a member of total fitness and they were offering all TF members free joining due to TF going bust and members potentially losing their membership and associated cost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

davmol wrote: »
    I got the joining fee waived as I was previously a member of total fitness and they were offering all TF members free joining due to TF going bust and members potentially losing their membership and associated cost.

Reckon that offers still open 5 years later?

Hanley wrote: »
    Reckon that offers still open 5 years later?

No harm in asking.

• Advertisement

Well by all other posts on the matter the people were pestered by the sales team to join....I haven't heard a dickie bird...maybe it was something I said? Or they were threatened by my chiseled good looks and gymnast physique..ahem.

Advertisement