Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Between cancelled plans, mad weather, and awful tiredness, I've enough reasons for a quiet night in. Think I'll have my bottle of Of Foam And Fury while it's fresh and at least make the night some bit interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Blacks Black IPA. Really nice beer. Nice and hoppy. Reminds me a lot of O'Haras IPA but with the added richness of dark malts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Having a Hardknott Infrared. Described as a IPA but quite dark in colour. Quite hoppy but liking it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Also picked up an Odells 90 Shilling ale. Enjoying this one a lot more than the Hardknott ale. Very smooth and refreshing with a hint of caramel.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

An File wrote: »
    Think I'll have my bottle of Of Foam And Fury while it's fresh...

Well damn it anyway! This stuff actually lives up to the hype. Beautiful beer.

Edit:

May as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb. Brewdog Hardcore IPA to put me to sleep. It's been a long week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

Having a Founders Backwoods Bastard at the moment. Very nice, strong but not overpowering and lots of caramel with a hint of vanilla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Also picked up an Odells 90 Shilling ale. Enjoying this one a lot more than the Hardknott ale. Very smooth and refreshing with a hint of caramel.

That's an awesome beer.

It's a style called Scotch Ale, another example of the style is William Bros 80 Shilling.

It's a more robust, malty beer, but the similarities are there.

Odell's do great beers, I've not had a bad one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Lagunita's Hop Stoopid Ale. At 102 ibu's I was expecting a lip curler but it was very well "balanced". Had a sweetish taste and retained a small almost creamy head.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Went to Galvin's Carry Out in Clondalkin earlier. Pretty good selection. Parking not great, and, of the beers I bought, they only had O'Haras listed in the system when it scanned, so I was charged some pretty strange prices...overall, I think it was about right, but think it should have been a euro or two less.

Picked up the following:
    • Bo Bristle IPA
    • Blacks Kinsale IPA
    • 8 Degrees Zeus Black IPA
    • Five Lamps Liberties Ale
    • And a few O'Haras IPA just in case

Earlier this week I found McGargles Pale Ale and Pilsner in my local Dunnes Stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Jfla

Ipso wrote: »
    Lagunita's Hop Stoopid Ale. At 102 ibu's I was expecting a lip curler but it was very well "balanced". Hadva sweetish tastecand retained a small almost creamy head.

Did you get your hands on that in Ireland?

• Advertisement

Jfla wrote: »
    Did you get your hands on that in Ireland?

No, in California. I've heard some places in Ireland get Bear Republic which is of a similar size to Lagunitas and from the same area, maybe it will make an appearance in the near future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Jfla

I hope so, Langunitas lil sumpin sumpin is my all time favorite. What a beer!

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Earlier this week I found McGargles Pale Ale and Pilsner in my local Dunnes Stores.

I hope you left them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I hope you left them there.

No,I thought I'd give them a try. Is it the taste or something else that has put you off?

That's lovely, it's the first of theirs I tried. I've had the regular IPA and Imperial Stout also, there is a Cappucino Stout I've seen that I must try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Wells Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale -
    Quite sweet caramel: toffee flavour. Also getting a buttery feel of it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I love that beer.

Sipping the last Racer 5 from Redmonds stock

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    No,I thought I'd give them a try. Is it the taste or something else that has put you off?

They've taken the mantle from Tom Crean's lager. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Just tried one of these

dsc06971.jpg

First black ipa I've drank. Have to say I thought the coffee and malt flavours wouldn't balance with the bitter, floral hops. It's delicious thought, one of the nicest beers I've had in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Picked up Independent Brewings Gold & Pale Ale, looking forward to giving them a try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Breaking my drought for a few tonight. Brewdog Jackhammer is real good.

I haven't seen that anywhere.^ Must try to pick one up.

I introduced 2 friends to Narwhal and Samichlaus last night. They were both impressed.

Finally got an Erdinger Schneeweisse to enjoy at home today. It's rare enough in the shops this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

tried a few of aldi and lidls finest

Hobgoblin ale
    Spitfire ale
    Bisiops Finger ale
    Old Speckeled hen ale
    Perlenbacher Pils

all in all i would buy the hobgoblin and perlenbacher again , the rest were fine just didnt like them enough to go back :D

After drinking a lot of IPA's and distinguishing between a few different hops, the Nelson Sauvin and Centennial hops are my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I had a bottle of Porterhouse whiskey barrel aged Celebration stout when it first came out and thought it was excellent. The only flaw was a touch of alcoholic heat from the 11% ABV.

So I set aside a bottle for two years and had it last weekend on the basis that a beer of that style and strength would get better if left for a year or two. Sadly, this theory proved incorrect. It tasted fine, and the alcohol was less noticeable in the flavour, but overall I didn't like it as much as I did the fresh bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Kernel brewery in London was a great visit, recommended for all London visitors - it's only open on Saturdays until 4pm though. Tried an IPA (can't remember the hop combo on that one) from tap, which was great and cheerful. Oak Aged Saison tasted so much like cider that I had to do a double take on the blackboard to see if they had any ciders on that could have ended up in my glass instead. Nope. Tasted like a nice cider though, and the beer was pretty good, not great.

Got some bottles too - Imperial Brown Stout London 1856 was excellent and one of the better Imperial Stouts I've had. Would buy again, and relatively often too. Galaxy + Mosaic IPA was pretty good. The 4C Double IPA was bad - should have checked the bottle before buying as it was 3 months old even when bought from source. The age wasn't even half the story I don't think - it was just very sweet and lacking in complexity. Also it was 4 (or was it 4.50£?) for a small bottle....which makes it more than the much complained about OFAF!

My favourite UK IPA I tried was Partizan Centennial. Very strong hops but well balanced.

Brew By Numbers Nelson Sauvin Saison was ok, probably great if you like more wheaty tasting saisons.

Green Flash Barleywine was excellent, though a bit of an unnecessary splurge on my part.

Omnipollo Nebuchadnezzar was probably my favourite IPA altogether in London - a Swedish one, surprisingly enough, on tap at Craft Beer Co Islington. The other beer I had there was a Magic Rock Salty Kiss - a lime goze. That was the worst, my tastebuds disagreed with it heavily and it reminded me of a bacardi breezer.

Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin was very nice also, draught in Euston Tap. Magic Rock Cannonball was also suggested by the barman, and seems to have a great rep but lacked a lot IMO compared to better IPAs on my trip.

The best deal going for me was a Stone Double IPA in Weatherspoons at Gatwick for 1.99£ for half a pint. Wasn't as good as the Omnipollo but for that price it was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Grayditch wrote: »
    After drinking a lot of IPA's and distinguishing between a few different hops, the Nelson Sauvin and Centennial hops are my favourite.
    Same. Plus Citra!

snowblind wrote: »
    Same. Plus Citra!

I love that too, and Columbus. Those 4 seem to make me take notice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

snowblind wrote: »
    The best deal going for me was a Stone Double IPA in Weatherspoons at Gatwick for 1.99£ for half a pint. Wasn't as good as the Omnipollo but for that price it was fantastic.

I was undercharged in my local spoons and got a half pint for 95p. :pac:

• Advertisement

3 year old Home Brew........cider-y!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement