Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Did anyone, by any chance, read the article on the McGargles enterprise in the Sunday Times? I took a photo of it and will try and post it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Heroditas wrote: »
    Did anyone, by any chance, read the article on the McGargles enterprise in the Sunday Times? I took a photo of it and will try and post it later.

also a piece in the Liffey Champion - new brewery opening very soon in Kilcock Co Kildare on the site of the old Kelly's Bakery.

€1 million investment and 30 jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

blueshed wrote: »
    also a piece in the Liffey Champion - new brewery opening very soon in Kilcock Co Kildare on the site of the old Kelly's Bakery.

€1 million investment and 30 jobs.

Is that the one setup by ex Heineken (maybe Guinness) guys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Beoir Chorca Dhuibhne Cul Dorcha, a cracking beer from the weirdest and most unfriendly brewpub I ever visited

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

matrim wrote: »
    Is that the one setup by ex Heineken (maybe Guinness) guys?

Former Diageo and Molson Coors employees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

drumswan wrote: »
    Beoir Chorca Dhuibhne Cul Dorcha, a cracking beer from the weirdest and most unfriendly brewpub I ever visited

Do you mean the one in Dingle? I always wanted to visit it when I was down that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Victory Dirtwolf double IPA. It replaces Hop Wallop, which I will definitely miss, but Dirtwolf has a crisper (almost harsh) texture that I like. Tastes like it is dry-hopped, even though I don't think it is. Would not have had two (pints, not tulips) at lunchtime if I had known it was 8.7%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye. I'll need to try it again but it came across like a spicy version of Celebration.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ipso wrote: »
    Sierra Nevada's Ruthless Rye. I'll need to try it again but it came across like a spicy version of Celebration.

That's kinda what it is.

Had it again, wasn't overly crazy about it. There is a bitter taste that Celebration also has that I'm not keen on, although I like the Rye taste.
    It was a toss up over Ruthless Rye or Old Chico Crystal Wheat, I saw some not too stellar reviews for Old Chico so I took the Ruthless Rye.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

If you like the Rye, give Kinnegar's Rustbucket a go.

Lovely Irish Rye beer.

JW Sweetman rated fourth best new brewer in the world on ratebeer

http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/newbrewers_012014cc.asp

I remember a certain poster referring to their beer as 'tasting like bad homebrew' - harhar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Finally picked up a Gose, Rittergut's Gose to be exact.

This is one damn good beer. Deliciously crisp and sour. Will be drinking more of it.

drumswan wrote: »
    JW Sweetman rated fourth best new brewer in the world on ratebeer

http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/newbrewers_012014cc.asp

I remember a certain poster referring to their beer as 'tasting like bad homebrew' - harhar

Good to see. Who knows, some tome in the future when a US president visits instead of getting a photo of the divils buttermilk it may be JW Sweetman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I see L.Mulligans has Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier on tap.

Not my cup of tea but I know there is a few in here who like it.

Love it, but 2 bottles at the most, usually one.

Bottle of Brewdog's Russian Imperial Stout tonight. Not sure what to make of it yet.
    It's been a while since I've had an imperial stout so the taste buds are getting used to it!

EDIT: just finished it and can honestly say there's far better Imperial stouts out there.

Finally picked up a Gose, Rittergut's Gose to be exact.

This is one damn good beer. Deliciously crisp and sour. Will be drinking more of it.

Whered you get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

irish_goat wrote: »
    Former Diageo and Molson Coors employees.

Would this be the McGargles lads or another operation?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Landlord Strong Pale Ale - 4.1% is hardly strong. Not overly floral but quite bitter. Fairly unremarkable, as I thought last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I am in Belgium at the moment but in the south away from any major city.
    Anyway Ramée Blonde is what I had last night on draught.

Its a good middle of the road beer for me.
    Another Irish lad was with me and he tasted it and said it smelled veru sweet and very hoppy. He went back to drinking Carlsberg.

Its sweet enough and a nice Belgian hop hit.Not the best Belgian beer but hits the spot for me.

• Advertisement

I think I'll be in The Beerhouse on Capel St tomorrow, anyone idea what they have on draught in there?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I was in on Tuesday night. Off the top of my head there was Leann Folláin, O'Hara's IPA, Brú Lager, Bo Bristle IPA, Black Pitts Porter, C No Evil and Aztec Stout. Probably a few more too: there always seems to be a couple of Franciscan Well beers and one by BrewDog, but I didn't notice which.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Landlord Strong Pale Ale - 4.1% is hardly strong. Not overly floral but quite bitter. Fairly unremarkable, as I thought last time.

Heresy! :D

To be fair, many traditional UK bitters were around the 3% mark so, in theory, it would qualify as a strong English pale ale.

BeerNut wrote: »
    I was in on Tuesday night. Off the top of my head there was Leann Folláin, O'Hara's IPA, Brú Lager, Bo Bristle IPA, Black Pitts Porter, C No Evil and Aztec Stout. Probably a few more too: there always seems to be a couple of Franciscan Well beers and one by BrewDog, but I didn't notice which.

Cool, sounds like a decent selection.

I think they have some kind of tie-in with MC, do they? Like that pub in Smithfield beside the cinema, they sell no Guinness on tap, and have the FW stuff on draught.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Fair comment on the bottled version, I think. It's very different from draught Landlord (rocket fuel at 4.3% ABV), which is a magnificent beer when on form.
    I think they have some kind of tie-in with MC, do they?
    Nah, I think they just rolled over for the rep more than most pubs, but I doubt it's anything more than lots point-of-sale material and several of their beers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

To be fair, many traditional UK bitters were around the 3% mark so, in theory, it would qualify as a strong English pale ale.

I'd consider 4.1% to be in the 'ordinary' bitter territory really. I'd like to try the draught version as BeerNut suggests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

BeerNut wrote: »

Thats quite a few more taps than they used too. Was just the craft collection, 1 BRU and oharas ipa/lager last time i was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

adamski8 wrote: »
    Thats quite a few more taps than they used too. Was just the craft collection, 1 BRU and oharas ipa/lager last time i was there.

Decent value aswell on some beers. For instance, Sunburnt Irish Red by Eight Degrees is 4 euro a pint, and half's are half the price, like they should be! I think they have a good few pints in the 5 or under price bracket.

Currently having a quite pleasant pint of Estaminet in Peggy Kellys before I head to the dogs.
    Not a bad Pilsner considering I don't normally go for that style.

• Advertisement

slayerking wrote: »
    Decent value aswell on some beers. For instance, Sunburnt Irish Red by Eight Degrees is 4 euro a pint, and half's are half the price, like they should be! I think they have a good few pints in the 5 or under price bracket.

Do want.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement