Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Got a hold of some Bo Bristle for the first time last night in M&S - was disappointed that there was no IPA so it was just the Amber Ale. Found it ok - prefer Dungarvan or McGraths I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Picked up a few bottles of Foam and Fury in McHughs just now, finally gonna try this after all the hype, hope it's not a let-down. €5.79 a bottle there so it better be worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Got my hands on some Augustiner Lagerbier Hell, during the week. Very smooth and went down extremely well.

Took a spin to the County Bar Off-Licence in Lucan (thanks for the tip blueshed) and picked up St Odell St Lupilin, Trouble Brewing Deception and Thornbridge Jaipur - all new to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Fran Well Jameson Stout - pretty good but I think I preferred it last year.
    Dungarvan Coffee and Oatmeal Stout - cracking. Just delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Took a spin to the County Bar Off-Licence in Lucan (thanks for the tip blueshed) and picked up St Odell St Lupilin, Trouble Brewing Deception and Thornbridge Jaipur - all new to me.

They have Deception? Sweet. I've only ever seen it in Drinkstore, out of all the off-licences I frequent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Birra Del Borgo ReAle. Much preferred this to the My Atonia.

Heroditas wrote: »
    They have Deception? Sweet. I've only ever seen it in Drinkstore, out of all the off-licences I frequent.

Yup, and in the fridge too!

They have Dark Arts as well. Five Lamps was 5 for €10. They also have Kinnegar Ale and Pale Ale and Carrig Dubh Porter.

Not a bad selection of some more mainstream international beers as well.

Not a bad spot at all, and prices reasonable, with some multi-buy offers (like the Five Lamps).

Not as good as the selection in the Malt House in Trim, but handier for me and the fact the they have a lot of stuff in the fridge is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

BMJD wrote: »
    Picked up a few bottles of Foam and Fury in McHughs just now, finally gonna try this after all the hype, hope it's not a let-down. €5.79 a bottle there so it better be worth the wait.

it's immense, worth the wait, just about worth the price:D

also, is Deception just the new name for Ór (Trouble Brewing)? Looks like a rebranding to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yep, they renamed it to fit in with the branding

• Advertisement

Yup, and in the fridge too!

They have Dark Arts as well. Five Lamps was 5 for €10. They also have Kinnegar Ale and Pale Ale and Carrig Dubh Porter.

Not a bad selection of some more mainstream international beers as well.

Not a bad spot at all, and prices reasonable, with some multi-buy offers (like the Five Lamps).

Not as good as the selection in the Malt House in Trim, but handier for me and the fact the they have a lot of stuff in the fridge is a bonus.

Ah feck it, I was getting Deception mixed up with Sabotage.
    Sabotage is quite tricky to find.

Ah feck it, I was getting Deception mixed up with Sabotage.
    Sabotage is quite tricky to find.

That's the truth.

That's the truth.

They should rename it Subterfuge to reflect its scarcity

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Of Foam and Fury - had a bottle last night and can confirm it is glorious from a bottle too.

I also had a Celebration, Torpedo and Beer Camp Black IPA by SN and OFAF tasted much fresher and way more complex than any of those beers. And it's on the par with the beer camp and celebration price wise. Torpedo is cheaper, and while you get the piney resiny taste off it, the cans are already old enough so that it doesn't really carry that much floral/citrus hop profile, it's just a bit watery before the bitterness kicks in.

I won't be buying it by the slab because of the price, but it's a damn good beer done where the style is not indigenous, and the freshness makes it more valuable to me as a lot of the competition would probably reach the same level of taste only if tasted before being hauled to a warm container and shipped to Ireland lasting weeks if not months. So the extra effort that some find valuable in imported beers doesn't really work with hoppy beers for me. Local will always taste better if everything else is equal :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

BMJD wrote: »

Went to pick up a bottle from the offo at The Dark Horse in Blackrock, and they were charging €7 a bottle :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Went to pick up a bottle from the offo at The Dark Horse in Blackrock, and they were charging €7 a bottle :eek:

That's serious brass necking considering Galway Bay own that off license as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

irish_goat wrote: »
    That's serious brass necking considering Galway Bay own that off license as well.

Bah, that's outrageous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

irish_goat wrote: »

Serious gouging alright. Galway Bay had better be careful they don't turn people off completely. It would be a shame too, as they make great beers.

It would be a shame too, as they make great beers.

I think their beers are very mediocre.

(When's Seaneh's ban over?)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭finatron

Just finished a bottel of Rouge Shakespeare oatmeal stout really enjoyed it nice smooth start with a bit of dark chocolate/coffee tone and good bitter after taste.
    Was in the off license 3 doors down from the the Oslo brewpub where the brew of foam and fury and they didn't have it I'm dieing to try it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Got 2 bottles of the OFAF at the weekend.

I think its a very good beer but didn't find it as tropical fruity as the draught version.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

(When's Seaneh's ban over?)

He is back in March I think he got a 3 month ban.

Was out shopping yesterday and I popped into Carry Out in Lucan to see if they have anything different. Picked up a bottle of CREW Republic Roundhouse Kick Imperial Stout and a bottle of Porterhouse Brainblasta.

Was really surprised with the Crew one. Really nice Imperial Stout, on the roastier side flavour wise, but still really drinkable. Wasn't a fan of the other 2 beers I'd tried from them.

Got the Blainblasta just out of curiosity. I remember trying it years ago when I was getting into my fancy beers and just couldn't drink it. Thought it was just too strong. Thought it was nice enough.

Carry Out in Lucan? Don't you mean Kennys/Corkscrew?

Carry Out in Lucan? Don't you mean Kennys/Corkscrew?

Actually come to think of it, it may not be a Carry Out. It's the one beside Superquinn.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Actually come to think of it, it may not be a Carry Out. It's the one beside Superquinn.

Ah yeah, O'Briens.

Ah yeah, O'Briens.

Yeah, that's what I meant. ;)

Ooooh! More can options

Brooklyn Lager

5707643200020.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

BaBa Black Lager by Uinta who are based out of Utah. This was lovely but seemed like a "light" porter to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Finally trying a Paulaner Salvator.

Maybe it's a bit cold or something, but it's quite meh so far. I find the high-alcohol German beers quite cloying in comparison with Belgians (Schneider Aventinus, as another example).

Augustiner Edelstoff, on the other hand.........
    Does exactly what it says on the tin!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement