Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Yellow belly's collaboration beer: Castaway a passion fruit Kettle sour. Fastly heading towards my beer of the year

CksfWyGXIAAI0BB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Sur Simcoe by Tool, great sour beer thats a bit different to the norm as it has some nice hoppiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Got a growler of Wicklow Wolf Copper Mountain High in SV blanch.
    Its a malty amber ale, almost like their American Amber, but with english hops. Very nice beer indeed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've only got a sniff of it so far, thanks to the station operative not having been fully trained in the tightening of caps. Always check your growler for tightness before packing your groceries.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Yellow Belly Castaway is very nice for sure - quite surprising as the couple of other beers I tried by them were not nice at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm really loving Blacks of Kinsale these days. Their Black IPA and KPA is always good, but picked up a bottle of their The Session over the weekend and it went down beautifully, very tasty and easy drinking, just as well it's only 3.5%.

I was very impressed by the Euro Gold on cask in JW Sweetman yesterday -- a lovely lemony sherbety ale. €4.50 a pint with a loyalty card, which is great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Tried the Yellow Belly Castaway over the weekend, fantastic beer.

Finally got to try Diving Bell on draft too - lived up to the hype but the wrong style of beer for this time of year for me. Had a pint of Heathen after, it's a wonderfully surprising beer: a lemony sour with a surprisingly low alcohol content that looks something like a porter in the glass. Superb stuff.

When you go back for a growler refill in SV, do they refill the growler you bring back or swap it for a pre cleaned one off the shelf?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

My local SV has a sign up to tell you to return with your growler washed and ready to be filled (ooh-err) :pac:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Whats been on offer and for how much? And can you use other growlers?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

jsa112 wrote: »

not sure on the prices, but my local (Bray) has been Wicklow Wolf Elevation and something else, I'm terrible at remembering things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I with their system you have to use their growlers, as far as I am aware

Whats been on offer and for how much?
    The taps seem to be tied to Four Corners, so there's the Wicklow Wolf Copper Mountain and on the other one I've seen Metalman Equinox and Northbound 70 so far. Refills are €14/€7 for 2L/1L. The empty growler is an extra €8/€4 first time out, though they sent out vouchers to get a new 2L growler, filled, for €10, which is the only reason I have mine.

Annoyingly, the 2L growler isn't marked to 2L as it's an American 64oz-to-line one. Make sure you insist on it filled to the brim :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

oblivious wrote: »
    I with their system you have to use their growlers, as far as I am aware

it's the same system used by Carry Out, Baggot St Wines, The Tap House and Bar Rua afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

The six pack of Belgian ales in Lidl is only class altogether, I'll miss it dearly when it's gone.

So it seems they just refill the one you bring back, better make sure it's nice and clean so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

My most recent beer has been a Tool Berry Beer, it's lovely. I had Dungarvan once off that I loved as well, a Wit with Coriander, really nice. The brewer said he was trying to use the ingredients that typically go into thai curry. They only made one keg as an experiment, and it'll never be seen again, but he said he'll probably use the idea in the future and make a seasonal out of it. I also had the Dungarvan Red, forgot how much I like it.

My favourite beer I've had this year though is the Whiplash Rollover. A 3.8% Session IPA. It was absolutely beautiful. Every craft pub owner I've talked to about it, whether they had it in or not has said it'll be an instant purchase the next time it becomes available. I had tried the Blacks Session IPA before it, which was really nice, but not as good as the Whiplash. I also had the Brewdog Elvis Juice, it's not a session IPA, but a strong fruit flavoured IPA, but the flavour profile was similar enough that I would compare it to the Whiplash and Blacks Session IPAs. I preferred the Black to the Brewdog, and the Whiplash to the Blacks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was in Portugal the majority of the week, so I have had rather a lot of extremely cheap Sagres and Super Bock. As we've discussed on this thread, anything fizzy and boozy tastes incredible when sitting on a terrace, in the sun, watching England concede a goal (OK, maybe we didn't discuss that last bit!)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Tried Proetus by Siren for the first time.Great IPA with a really nice balance and variety of hops. Lingers a bit at the end but i like the extra bitterness. Definitely better than the bottled version of Soundwave which can be hit and miss.
    Fourpure Shapeshifter is also excellent, lighter texture than proteus being more west coast styl but again nice hops. I always read about some hops having an oniony taste, you really get it with this but not in a bad way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I had my first offerings from Whiplash tonight, Surrender to the Void and Scaldy Porter. I'm extremely impressed, particularly with Surrender to the Void. It has to be one of the best DIPAs at that price.

I'll be stocking up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Lidls Belgian beer box. Heavy duty stuff, trippel and quadruppels.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Timistry

Guinness West Indies porter.Has an amazing depth of flavor with a lovely smooth mouthfeel and at 6%, its a perfect drink to have at home to unwind after a long week!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I had my first offerings from Whiplash tonight, Surrender to the Void and Scaldy Porter. I'm extremely impressed, particularly with Surrender to the Void. It has to be one of the best DIPAs at that price.

I'll be stocking up!

Where did you get that, out of interest? Havent seen it in any of my regular offies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

had a pint of Francis in the Living Room this evening.

Decent on tap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a Dot Brew Session Rye ale last night. Lovely smell when you first poured and it is a nice easily drinkable beer.

I slightly preferred the Kinnegar Bucket and Spade that I had last week but would happily go back to this one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭Ryath

The six pack of Belgian ales in Lidl is only class altogether, I'll miss it dearly when it's gone.

It is brilliant value, been working my way through my first box the last few days. Have picked up 5 boxes now seriously tempted to pick up a few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Where did you get that, out of interest? Havent seen it in any of my regular offies!

O'Brien's in Galway.

Might be a bit of a spin for you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'm picking up Wired IPA and Handsome Jack a lot lately as my regulars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Timistry wrote: »
    Guinness West Indies porter.Has an amazing depth of flavor with a lovely smooth mouthfeel and at 6%, its a perfect drink to have at home to unwind after a long week!

I know a lot of people who really don't like it, but I agree with you. I thought it was a really nice stout. I haven't had it since it came out though. But then again I don't buy many beers in the shops, and most bars I go to don't stock Guinness let alone the Guinness "craft" beers.

I had the JJ's IPA a few days ago. A really nice IPA. Nothing special about it, not too hoppy, some malt and generally refreshing. If a pub brought it in as a standard IPA tap due to its value I wouldn't complain at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement