Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

So, not gimmicky witty names then.

QED

I think Rosey Nosey is quite decent. Bah Humbug is vile, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Haven't seen those anywhere. Where r they available?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Speak Now

smurf492 wrote: »
    Haven't seen those anywhere. Where r they available?

Rosey Nosey and Bah Humbug are in Aldi. Brewed by Wychwood I think, the same crowd that make Hobgoblin.

• Advertisement

Rosey Nosey and Bah Humbug are in Aldi. Brewed by Wychwood I think, the same crowd that make Hobgoblin.

Had both. Not impressed. Meant the sheperds neame christmas ale mentioned above

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

blueshed wrote: »

I also picked up a crate of Kozel dark during the week.

Can I ask where ?
    I think its a great beer.
    if I'm looking for something a bit on the low abv scale it perfect, but not many places stock it and mostly only a few bottles in stock anytime I find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Can I ask where ?.

A local Polonez was selling a crate for around 40-45 euro , worth looking up one that's near to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

@oblivious

I assume you mean for a crate? 24 bottles?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Lucena wrote: »
    @oblivious

I assume you mean for a crate? 24 bottles?

Sorry yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

That sounds good. Must pop in to my local Polonez and have a look, last time I was in there years ago, they didn't sell beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Can I ask where ?
    I think its a great beer.
    if I'm looking for something a bit on the low abv scale it perfect, but not many places stock it and mostly only a few bottles in stock anytime I find it.

Maxela.org .A crate of 20 btls is €31.

It's a 2 crate minimum buy, suits me as a few work mates love the stuff.

If your a homebrewer you get to keep the plastic crate.

They have about 40 different beers for sale.

Tries two new beers last night.

Had a Hobgoblin first, saw it come up in convos on here so regardless of the "ruby beer" tag, I thought it would just be an ale of sorts.

Have to say, its pretty much unlike anything else I've had. Wouldn't be a fan of it either though I finished it.

Then I had a few of the Kinsale Black IPA.
    When I first picked it up I did notice it saying "dressed in black" but since the name contains black I thought it would be a run of the mill IPA.

Having the Hobgoblin first might not have helped matters but I wasn't overly a fan.

I've seen people on here complimenting the brand so I take it people here buy the basic Pale Ale when they mention KPA?.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Then I had a few of the Kinsale Black IPA.
    When I first picked it up I did notice it saying "dressed in black" but since the name contains black I thought it would be a run of the mill IPA.

Having the Hobgoblin first might not have helped matters but I wasn't overly a fan.

I've seen people on here complimenting the brand so I take it people here buy the basic Pale Ale when they mention KPA?.

No, I adore the Black's Black IPA and I know plenty who agree with me. In fact, I think it's their strongest beer.

nosietoes wrote: »
    No, I adore the Black's Black IPA and I know plenty who agree with me. In fact, I think it's their strongest beer.

Nope they do a Rocket Ship that is 6.5% and is the bomb!! Highly recommended by my throat :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

smurf492 wrote: »
    Nope they do a Rocket Ship that is 6.5% and is the bomb!! Highly recommended by my throat :)

I assumed he meant "strongest" as in their best and most consistent beer.

Also, High-Viz is their strongest in terms of ABV. I think it's around the 8% mark! :D

An File wrote: »

Also, High-Viz is their strongest in terms of ABV. I think it's around the 8% mark! :D

Owned :) Have not come across High-Viz and unsure if i want to!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

An File wrote: »

Indeed I meant strongest as best though I am a 'she'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a 8 Degrees Signal Belgian Stout last night. It was enjoyable but I didn't really get anything belgian about it.

Also had an O'Brother Joe Coffee Porter. I really like this one. A nice coffee and roasted flavour but also lovely and smooth.

Last weekend I finally got around to having a McGargles Frances IPA. Agree with the praise it's getting. A lovely IPA that doesn't feel like a 7% beer. I probably wouldn't put it up there as the best Irish IPA just on taste terms alone. But in terms of value / price to taste it's up there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

nosietoes wrote: »
    Indeed I meant strongest as best though I am a 'she'

Sorry, my mistake! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

matrim wrote: »
    Had a 8 Degrees Signal Belgian Stout last night. It was enjoyable but I didn't really get anything belgian about it.

I found it had a very Belgian taste

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Zaph wrote: »
    Mitchell's in the CHQ Building in the IFSC have some barrel aged Leann Folláin.

Managed to get a bottle of it today, cheers. Saving it for Christmas.

Have a bottle of Victory Storm King Imperial Stout and Founder Breakfast Stout for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Managed to get a bottle of it today, cheers. Saving it for Christmas.

Have a bottle of Victory Storm King Imperial Stout and Founder Breakfast Stout for tonight.

Both excellent!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Had an O'Sheas Spiced which I assume is the same, or almost, as the O'Haras one.

Oddly enough I could taste the spices a lot more - may have been serving temperature though.

L1011 wrote: »
    Had an O'Sheas Spiced which I assume is the same, or almost, as the O'Haras one.
    4.3% vs. 5% and the O'Hara's one is brewed with rye.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

BeerNut wrote: »
    4.3% vs. 5% and the O'Hara's one is brewed with rye.

Never thought of actually checking the bottles (not sure the O'Haras one is still here in the recycling boxes, but it may be) :o

Prefer the O'Sheas in that case - not sure I'll bother with another though.

Yeah, I thought the O'Shea's one was nicer too.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Have a bottle of Victory Storm King Imperial Stout

Had that last night, and while it's very highly regarded it just didn't do it for me for some reason. Couldn't quite put my finger on why but I suspect I might be getting another bottle in a beer hamper at Christmas so I'm happy to give it a second chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Couple of pints of Barrelhead Pale Ale on cask in sweetmans earlier. Very good, would definately have this again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I found it had a very Belgian taste

I also didnt get anything Belgian from it, it was pleasant but nothing to shout about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement