Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Regarding new brewers: No matter how many new beers enter the market I always give my custom to quality brewers that price their beers reasonably. For the past few years I have consistently stuck with O´Hara´s, Trouble brewing, 8 degrees etc while also trying new products as they emerge. I like the Galway Bay beers but have never bought them in the off licence as they´re too expensive. I am however happy to pay 5 euro for their pints in the pub.
    :confused:

8 degrees standard range is usually anywhere between 2e and 2.25e for 330ml. GBB standard range is anywhere from 3e to 3.25 for 500ml.

Per ml, they work out at broadly the same price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

drkpower wrote: »
    :confused:

8 degrees standard range is usually anywhere between 2e and 2.25e for 330ml. GBB standard range is anywhere from 3e to 3.25 for 500ml.

Per ml, they work out at broadly the same price.

Yes fair enough, the Galway Bay range at 3 euro on drinkstore is good value. It´s 3.50-3.75 in my local off licence while the 8 degrees stuff is often on offer. Galway Bay maybe wasn´t the best example.

The new Brehon range with an IPA and Porter at 4.50-4.70 would be a better example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Yes fair enough, the Galway Bay range at 3 euro on drinkstore is good value. It´s 3.50-3.75 in my local off licence while the 8 degrees stuff is often on offer. Galway Bay maybe wasn´t the best example.

The new Brehon range with an IPA and Porter at 4.50-4.70 would be a better example.

Yikes, don't like the sound of your offie!

I agree with the thrust of your post though. I will try a bunch of beers at the close to 5e mark, but unless they are truly spectacular, they won't form part of my regular order. If they revised the price point below 3.50, and they were a good beer, they would be bought regularly.

And it isn't really a money thing as I'm not stuck in that regard. It just sticks in my craw to spend nearly 5 when there are really good alternatives, from really good (irish) breweries for less. The latter are the ones I want to see survive and thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Again, I am no expert but I would've thought that it would be easier to recoup start up costs and build a customer base by offering new brews at competitive prices (3e +/-10%) than at significantly higher prices (4e+). But obviously the Brewers have run the numbers and think the price point is good and the market can bear it. I just not sure their market research is correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Some price comparisons for fairly low end blonde ales in Drinkstore:

8 Degrees Howling Gale 6.06 per L
    Trouble Deception 6.40 per L
    O Haras Pale 6.40 per L
    Brehon Blonde 7.40 per L
    Wicklow Wolf Locabore 8.40 per L

Cheapest is nearly 30% cheaper than the most expensive! Im not sure what these new breweries think they have on the others but I certainly cant see it. If anything the market is becoming saturated and jaded from a constant stream of mediocre new beers in the same old styles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Porterhouse's An Brain Blásta & Celebration Stout are both 7% ABV & exceptional beers.

€2.30 per 330ml or roughly €7 per litre, best value craft beer out there IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Porterhouse's An Brain Blásta & Celebration Stout are both 7% ABV & exceptional beers.

€2.30 per 330ml or roughly €7 per litre, best value craft beer out there IMHO

The celebration stout is a staple in my household. Lovely beer especially for that price.

Brain blasta is interesting but wouldn't be top of my list.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I love their oyster stout. The stuff is gorgeous. Must order in a few bottles sometime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Started getting in some the Christmas stash today. Dying to get stuck in.

Got:

Anderson Valley Winter Solstice
    Anchor Christmas Ale 2014
    Founders Breakfast Stout
    Founders Backwoods Bastard
    Sierra Nevada Celebration
    O’Hara’s Barrel Aged Leann Follán (8.1%, 750ML)
    Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout
    Sierra Nevada Flipside IPA
    Fire Rock Pale Ale

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Finally got around to opening my Westvleteren 12, a day after my birthday. This one is a year old and from the batch I got at the monastery. I'd like to think that the taste has improved with age but I can't remember what it tasted like before so I cannot opine on the matter. I have heard talk of 'young' W12s in the past though.

It's pretty darn good but the likes of Rochefort take you far enough in flavour terms for it to not really be worth the hype. Rochefort beers are different, of course, but they're also exceedingly delicious. So as long as you're drinking something nice, then you're ultimately winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Finally got around to opening my Westvleteren 12, a day after my birthday. This one is a year old and from the batch I got at the monastery. I'd like to think that the taste has improved with age but I can't remember what it tasted like before so I cannot opine on the matter. I have heard talk of 'young' W12s in the past though.

I bought one of the bricks a couple of years back and I've had a bottle for Christmas dinner each year so far, and like yourself I can never remember what I'm really comparing it to, other than I really like it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Anyone know if The Comet in Santry has anything crafty?

Ah the comet! I was supposed to be heading there later. This was my local while I lived in the area. I haven't been there since June but from what I know they still have Galway Hooker & Blue Moon on tap. I think they had Franciscan well red ale for awhile in the last few months, I'm not sure if they still have it or not. I can't remember exactly what they had but they also had some bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'd love to know what drugs some of the Irish brewery's are taking

http://www.mchughs.ie/mountain-man-crazy-horse-50cl

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Popped into my local offie on the way home from work to discover they had (finally) restocked some White Gypsy. Weekend sorted :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

RasTa wrote: »

Whut.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

I had a couple of bottles of the Guinness Dublin Porter and West Indies Porter last night

The Dublin Porter is poor but the West Indies Porter is decent, some nice roasted malt with a hint of chocolate and coffee

Found out for myself. Rebel Red and Hooker on tap and some bottles of Saint and Punk.

Offo next door is grand tho, will pick up some bottles there later

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

rDVwYkD.jpg

Baggot street wines has a new growler setup, currently serving trouble brewing cherry chocolate stout, wit woo, bo bristle double IPA and metalman pale. They hadn't poured the cherry chocolate yet so I couldn't have a taste, couldn't take the risk so ended up with these, rather boring, choices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

That is shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Went for look at O'briens craft beer sale today , good selection but still pricey for a sale.
    I saw the regular price for Of foam and Fury is €6.59 per bottle, absolute joke. Bought a bottle of wine instead.

Lads, the off licence beside The Comet has the 4 Brehon beers priced at 3.10, even the 7.7% porter. And the 6%ipa.

There's also a lovely woman giving out samples of the 4 beers.

The IPA is quite good, the red is red and the blonde is good for a blonde.

The porter is very good though and at that price I'll be picking up a couple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

snowblind wrote: »

Baggot street wines has a new growler setup, currently serving trouble brewing cherry chocolate stout, wit woo, bo bristle double IPA and metalman pale. They hadn't poured the cherry chocolate yet so I couldn't have a taste, couldn't take the risk so ended up with these, rather boring, choices

That price included the bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Went for look at O'briens craft beer sale today , good selection but still pricey for a sale.
    I saw the regular price for Of foam and Fury is €6.59 per bottle, absolute joke. Bought a bottle of wine instead.

5.70 or 5.50 if you buy tow (each) from the drink store and they will deliver

http://www.drinkstore.ie/Galway-Bay-Brewery-Of-Foam-And-Fury-Double-IPA-500ML-799439089228/

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

That price included the bottle?
    3.50 for the bottle. More for the 2l one. Gonna keep refilling these bad boys, hope they get more interesting beers...

Galway Hooker is a pale Irish Red Ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Galway Hooker is a pale Irish Red Ale.

Poor old Galway Hooker.
    It seems not so long ago they were very much the vanguard of the new wave of Irish brewers and it was everybody's favorite beer!
    And now.........?.?

I hope they're still selling plenty of beer, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

O'Shea's Traditional Irish Golden Ale from Aldi. Really enjoying this. Is it new? It's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

And speaking of old favorites :
    Have my tastes changed so much or is the current batch of O Hara's keg Irish PA really rubbish?
    (in Abbot's,Cork; the keg is fresh)
    I haven't had it in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Lads, the off licence beside The Comet has the 4 Brehon beers priced at 3.10, even the 7.7% porter. And the 6%ipa.

There's also a lovely woman giving out samples of the 4 beers.

The IPA is quite good, the red is red and the blonde is good for a blonde.

The porter is very good though and at that price I'll be picking up a couple

I think the porter is exceptionally nice & I'll definitely pick a few up for the weekend

I like the IPA as well- nice to have a piney, resinous IPA rather than a citrusy one

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement