Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The_M

I paid a visit to Odell's a couple of weeks ago in Fort Collins. Had a barrel aged, DIPA Barrel Thief. I was greatly saddened to find that they were only open for another 15 minutes. I could have enjoyed a second!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Heading to the Salt House in Galway tonight. Is there anything in particular I should be aiming to try while I'm there? (i.e. stuff that isn't widely available in bottles)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

An File wrote: »
    Heading to the Salt House in Galway tonight. Is there anything in particular I should be aiming to try while I'm there? (i.e. stuff that isn't widely available in bottles)

Blue Monday Oatmeal IPA and the Trouble Brewing DIPA are both good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Well, I love Rauchbier, and the Schlenkerla is pretty much my benchmark. And yeah, it's like a bacon sambo, but that's a good thing ;p

Do you think, about the smokey/roasty? I'm sure there's some smoked malt in that Smog Rocket, just not enough.

Didn't know that about Robert Plant, that's cool.

Rauchbier uses Rauchmalt at about 40% of the grain bill, a 'Smoked Porter' (like Stones, and presumably Beavertowns) tends to use about 1-5% peated malt, different kettle of fish altogether.

Must try brewing a hybrid between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Aldi selling the bru and kenmare range for 2.50 a bottle for Xmas along with bah humbug and rosey nosey for same from Nov 23

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

drumswan wrote: »
    Rauchbier uses Rauchmalt at about 40% of the grain bill.

Where did you read this? I was under the impression something like schlenkerla is close to all rauchmalz.

slayerking wrote: »
    Where did you read this? I was under the impression something like schlenkerla is close to all rauchmalz.

Just from recipies I was looking at for my last brew, heres the BYO article with the different types. You are right though, it says the grain bill can be up to 95% rauchmalt.

https://byo.com/stories/item/858-hot-tips-for-making-great-smoked-beers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Just from recipies I was looking at for my last brew, heres the BYO article with the different types. You are right though, it says the grain bill can be up to 95% rauchmalt.

https://byo.com/stories/item/858-hot-tips-for-making-great-smoked-beers

Got a bit worried there when I read your post, was doubting myself as I just brewed a Smoked Porter with 85% rauchmalz! Should be proper smokey!

My understanding is that rauchmalt is a lot more mellow than peated malt. Peated malt in larger quantities can give that band-aid/tcp aroma.

This fella uses 100% peated malt, its interesting to say the least.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/yeastie-boys-rex-attitude/141260/

I think Nogne do a 100% peat too, never seen it here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

interesting about the Peated/Smoked malts, never knew that.

Opened the Tesco Rye there, it's not horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

jh79 wrote: »
    Blue Monday Oatmeal IPA and the Trouble Brewing DIPA are both good.

Tried a pint of the Blue Monday. Probably my favourite IPA yet. Great shout!

Had a bottle of the Trouble Brewing a few weeks ago so left it at one drink for tonight. Happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

just had a btl of the White Hag Irish IPA and a very good beer it is and at 7.2% you would want to be carefull as very easy to drink.

next up the 12th Abbey Altered Amber.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Decided to open the bottle of Rogue Northwestern Ale I had.
    It is a red / amber ale. 6.2% or so. Fairly heavily hopped but with a big sweet chocolate/caramel hit off it. I only bought it if im honest because of the whole Deadliest Catch mashup. Not bad but a little too sweet.

NDF9n9hl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Recently enjoyed a Pumpkin Head by Brew Dog. It was much nicer then I anticipated.

http://instagram.com/p/vJNg63SsI0/

Also enjoyed Hello My Name is Zè, again by Brew Dog. It was lovely!

http://instagram.com/p/vJNg63SsI0/

The O'Sheas Golden Ale is superb for the style. Carlow brew light pale beers so well. Love the caramel/biscuit in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

The O'Sheas Golden Ale is superb for the style. Carlow brew light pale beers so well. Love the caramel/biscuit in it.

I saw it on the shelves when I picked up some O'Shea's last week but was so ready for disappointment that I didn't bother picking one up. I shall rectify this tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Saugatuck Continuum IPA not a bad IPA but very strong tropical fruit smell.

Nice hop kick but died off very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I wasnt blown away by it, have another one in the fridge so i'll give it a second go someday soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Metalman smokescreen is beautiful stuff. Smoky bacon in a glass!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

PropJoe10 wrote: »

I had this a year or so ago and didn't think it was that smoky. Schlenkerla was much more like liquid bacon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I had this a year or so ago and didn't think it was that smoky. Schlenkerla was much more like liquid bacon.

Its smoky enough for me anyway. Reminds me of a packet of bacon fries. Really enjoyable drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Ravelleman wrote: »

I think this year's is smokier, definitely first Irish Smoked beer in my opinion to be properly smoky, it's not Schenkerla level but getting there.

PropJoe10 wrote: »

Where is this pouring?

I saw the less-than-impressed reviews, but I still had to try White Gypsy's Emerald. I'd say it'd be lovely and refreshing on a hot evening (as opposed to cider, as the ads would want us to drink!) but it's not really worthy of the mission statement on the bottle. As said above, more hops needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Had a 9 White Deer Stag Bán tonight. Was drinking it straight from the bottle because I didn't have a glass but seems like a decent beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

drinking some homebrew stout.i normally hate stouts but this is drinkable so i guess thats a win

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

Where is this pouring?
    Fransiscan well in Cork at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Finally got around to having a bottle of OF&F tonight, a ridiculously good beer, so much depth of flavour and a nice kick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

milk-stout-nitro.png

Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro

On draught in Against The Grain. Very tasty stout. Creamy, smooth, just lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Sitting in the Tennents Brewery in Glasgow enjoying their Drygate microbrewery. Think there's 24 beers on tap, including unpasteurised Tennents. Not sure if I'm brave enough for that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement