Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

drumswan wrote: »
    The White Hag stuff is obviously branded for the US market

They have said that all along, they will be releasing some beers to the Irish market but the majority will be for export to the US

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

A friend of mine specifically ordered a pint of White Hag's Imperial Oatmeal Stout in the Bierhaus in Cork. The price: a cool €8.80. We all basked in the glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Ravelleman wrote: »
    A friend of mine specifically ordered a pint of White Hag's Imperial Oatmeal Stout in the Bierhaus in Cork. The price: a cool €8.80. We all basked in the glory.

Jesus. Was that a pint or a 330ml glass? That stuff is absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,086 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

6.00 in the Swagman in Sligo last week, although not there this week.

Very good value for a pint at 10.2%.

Not good for the head, though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Jesus. Was that a pint or a 330ml glass? That stuff is absolutely fantastic.

The clue is in the quoted text in your post. It is certainly a great beer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Had a pliny the elder, well done beer but one of those things of building something up too much in your mind and then it doesnt blow it. Very happy to have tried it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The clue is in the quoted text in your post. It is certainly a great beer.

I asked because people often use the word "pint" as a word for ordering a beer. Thanks for clearing that up though ;) I dont know if I'd want to be getting stuck into a pint of that stuff! Definitely not a session beer!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Another one from Oakham Ales, Scarlet Macaw. Really enjoyed it, super fruity.

OakhamAlesScarletMacaw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Dieu Du Ciel! - Corne du Diable. Beautiful beer. Malty with piney hops. Reminds me of a super elegant 5AM.

I would say that this brewery can do no wrong but I had their Dieu Du Ciel! - Rescousse, Altbier last week and I really didn't enjoy it. Everything else has been pretty amazing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Haven't been keeping up with the thread for a while, has anyone had Mountain Man's new one. Extra strength IPA, but I can't remember the name. Didn't wanna take a chance at €6.99 a bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Crazy Horse? I've only had it on draught but really liked it. It's quite heavy and intense.

That's the one. I might give it a go, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

I really liked it too, definitely worth getting. Not sure if you're buying a bottle of it in a pub, but I got it for 3.60

€6.99 for a 500ml bottle in Molloys, today, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Had one of them Solas Irish Stouts last night, pretty meh tbh.

I also saw some of them Revisionist Tesco bottles the other day, anyone tried them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Grayditch wrote: »
    €6.99 for a 500ml bottle in Molloys, today, anyway.

Yeah I skipped it a few times as wasn't sure about it.
    I didn't really like their other beers too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭Ryath

Weihenstephaner Vitus last night very good I must say.
    BMJD wrote: »

I also saw some of them Revisionist Tesco bottles the other day, anyone tried them?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057319402

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Crazy Horse is excellent, way ahead of their other beers.

Not sure what the 6.99 price point is about though. It wasnt particularly expensive when I had it on draught.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Martha_Mae

I'm loving the red McGargles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Martha_Mae wrote: »
    I'm loving the red McGargles!

what?

• Advertisement

McGargles Red is as good as any other ****ty "Irish Red"

It's the best McGargles.

But that doesn't say much.

McGargles Red is as good as any other ****ty "Irish Red"

it really isn't, it tastes of earwax and smells of elderberries.

it really isn't, it tastes of earwax and smells of elderberries.

Nah, its a bog standard Irish red, it tastes of its simple malt bill and little else. What a **** style.

I think people let their dislike of McGargles could their tasting, there are craft breweries turning out worse beer than Rye River. Thats said Id never drink them on account of the marketing alone.

I think people let their dislike of McGargles could their tasting,

Not me sir. I tried them before I knew about the whole contract brewing shenanigans, and it was only the fact that they were so sh1t that lead me to discover the other stuff, which tbh, I couldn't give a sh1t about if they made good beers.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Not me sir. I tried them before I knew about the whole contract brewing shenanigans, and it was only the fact that they were so sh1t that lead me to discover the other stuff, which tbh, I couldn't give a sh1t about if they made good beers.

Same, although it was suspicious and obviously not a "normal" craft brewery from the start, not with the cardboard packaging, the tankards and the general feel of the thing.

Jesus, it's been almost a year since they launched them beers, I can hardly believe it.

Yeah, they were too slick alright. Style over substance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Id like to echo the views that reds are the worst beer style too. Unfortunately they are so abundant and are often people's first taste into craft!

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Not me sir. I tried them before I knew about the whole contract brewing shenanigans
    Have you tried them recently? They are fine. The same generic boring stuff most other Irish craft brewers are churning out. Pale, Red, Porter, repeat ad nauseum.

• Advertisement

adamski8 wrote: »
    Id like to echo the views that reds are the worst beer style too. Unfortunately they are so abundant and are often people's first taste into craft!
    I love Red Ales, especially the ones that lean heavily on the hops.

Have you tried them recently? They are fine. The same generic boring stuff most other Irish craft brewers are churning out. Pale, Red, Porter, repeat ad nauseum.
    No, just tried them when they came out and really didn't like them so didn't bother going back. I didn't think that they were boring at the time, I just thought that they weren't nice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement