Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Odell's stout on tap at The Thomas House. Lovely stuff. They also had Founders Breakfast stout in bottles, and it is the weather for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

I am going to have a tasty pint of Guinness in Grogans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Jesus, they are charging almost 8 quid for a can of Beavertown 8 ball in the Black Sheep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

does Tyrellstown Carry Out fill non house Growlers?

got a couple of Beavertown cans to see what the fuss is about, Smog Ricket and 8 Ball.

Along with them got two Odell's - IPA and 90 Shilling.

Also got a Brew Dog Pumpkin Head and a Hardknott Infra Red.

Wine for her indoors

10469898_10152481848833873_6014121278103257215_n.jpg?oh=c927ffe574752e64c661716fdb02f0e8&oe=54DDF72B&__gda__=1424644180_5260e23c488a385b52e466c1725e456c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I saw a tweet from O'Briens in the Beacon that they had Founders Breakfast stout in stock.
    Stocked up on a few of them and some Full Sail.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Had an O'Shea's Golden ale earlier, okay, nothing too exciting.Very much enjoying a Big Ben brown ale by Thwaites now, lovely drop, malty and a very light hint of liquorice, really good.

Dammit, I was going to pick one of them up tonight too, ah well, next time.

jaysis, that Smoked Porter is disappointing, absolutely no aftertaste and not really smoked either, there's a faint flavour of ash somewhere in the finish, but it's only just about there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

jsa112 wrote: »
    White Gypsy's Emerald is pretty poor, shame. Definitely getting some oxidation like somebody else mentioned.

Drinking this right now, Christ this is probably the worst Irish beer I've drank this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Just opened a bottle of 'Of Foam and Fury'.

I absolutely adore this beer.

Simply amazing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jaysis, that Smoked Porter is disappointing, absolutely no aftertaste and not really smoked either, there's a faint flavour of ash somewhere in the finish, but it's only just about there.

I really liked it from the can and bottle, but like yourself, I don't where the smoked element is supposed to be. I just thought it was a really nice type of milk stout, as in that's what I would've called it if I was blind tasting it.

Just finished the last of the Brewdog Russian Doll series. Really like them, although wasn't overly impressed with the IPA, it just tasted like a hoppy lager and a bit boring. The rest were lovely.

Order of preference.....IPA<Pale Ale< and then a toss up between the DIPA and Barley Wine, which were both fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Drinking this right now, Christ this is probably the worst Irish beer I've drank this year.

Ah no, don't say that, I had one arrive today!

the 8 Ball is not up to much either, not the best Rye I've tasted. Kinnegar is better, for example.

Meh.

Forgot to mention, did you know that Robert Plant promotes/is associated with the brewery? He was on the Sunday Brunch (on Sunday funnily enough) and he took out a couple of cans of the stuff to promote it, and also name checked them a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

His son owns Beavertown. I really liked their smoked porter myself. Think you are walking a fine line when smoking things, had Emelisse smoked rye ipa before which was dreadful

I think some Brewers confuse smokiness with roastiness. Personally I like roastiness, not so gone on proper smokiness though. Always feels like I'm drinking meat.

Well, I love Rauchbier, and the Schlenkerla is pretty much my benchmark. And yeah, it's like a bacon sambo, but that's a good thing ;p

Do you think, about the smokey/roasty? I'm sure there's some smoked malt in that Smog Rocket, just not enough.

Didn't know that about Robert Plant, that's cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Yeah id agree. I really like smog rocket but not so much for its smokiness! Gammaray by beavertown is also very good. Haven't tried the rest of em.

The Hardknott is a decent red ale :p

Really liking the Pumpkin Head though, first pumpkin beer I'd drink another of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Troubles Pumpkin Brew enjoying a bottle if this at the moment.

One bottle is enough and plenty of spice and pumpkin flavours.

on to the odell's now, glad I got a few old reliables.

Am I getting old, or are the latest beers a bit lacking?

Mountain Mans Crazy horse is a really nice DIPA.

Nice hop kick and tropical fruits tastes in the background.

It's expensive at 6.99 but still a good beer,

6.99 a bottle? eff that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Had a few hoppy cats on draught in the brew dock recently. Kind of like a dark black ale, not quite a black ipa, but very hoppy and sweet. Interesting, really tasty, very different. From Italy. Pricey at €6 for 330ml bit worth a try.

Am I getting old, or are the latest beers a bit lacking?
    None of us are getting any younger sadly :P When it comes to IPAs, its always unfair to judge them when they're not fresh, those Hardknott and Beavertown beers have been floating around here for a good while now.
    6.99 a bottle? eff that.
    What a crazy price. I got it for 3.60 but am pretty sure that was a price error now.

drkpower wrote: »
    Had a few hoppy cats on draught in the brew dock recently. Kind of like a dark black ale, not quite a black ipa, but very hoppy and sweet. Interesting, really tasty, very different. From Italy. Pricey at €6 for 330ml bit worth a try.
    wonder will they be knocking around next weekend in Wallace-Land.
    None of us are getting any younger sadly :P When it comes to IPAs, its always unfair to judge them when they're not fresh, those Hardknott and Beavertown beers have been floating around here for a good while now.

Same to be said for porters?

I actually liked the Hardknott.

Dark beers age better, so I don't mind drinking old porters/stouts. Imagine drinking infrared or modus hoperandi fresh, even tastier. I could be wrong, but crazy horse is a good few months old

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Dark beers age better, so I don't mind drinking old porters/stouts. Imagine drinking infrared or modus hoperandi fresh, even tastier. I could be wrong, but crazy horse is a good few months old

I think it was launched at the beer festival in September. Don't know if this is the same batch or a different one

• Advertisement

6.99 a bottle? eff that.

I know but I'm a sucker and I liked it so don't feel bad now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement