Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I liked Tangled better too, for similar reasons, but to say frozen is nowhere near pixar is not comparing it with that studios recent output. Brave, cars 2 and Monsters University. None of which have much soul to speak of, Brave, the only original idea out of those felt very flat to me, and the story very thin. Pixar in its prime, I absolutely agree, but things ain't what they used to be there. Only hope inside out bucks the trend.

I think comparing Frozen with Cars 2 and MU is difficult that they're very much different genres. Cars 2 is dire crap, and the less said about it the better. I thoroughly enjoyed MU for what it was which was an enemies become friends, coming of age comedy.

Brave is a much fairer comparison and I have to say I thought it was better purely because the character were much better developed, I could believe that daughter/mother relationship because time was dedicated to it (EDIT Also, the Brave animation is just gorgeous; we can talk for hours on which is a better film BUT animation wise there's no comparison between the two). In Frozen we had one scene of Anna and Elsa playing before Elsa disappeared into her room and although I enjoyed the "Do You Want To Build A Snowman" montage I couldn't quite grasp the extent of their separation (when was the last time they saw each other before the Coronation) I know it's a bit picky but I think in order to believe that relationship I needed to know what exactly I was believing. HOWEVER all that said I'm a 23 year old male and clearly not the target audience. My 6 year old cousin absolutely loves the film and it's great to hear her belting out 'For the First Time In Forever'

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

John Lasseter is a Pixar man, creative boss there and Disney. Dare say there is a lot of cross pollination of ideas now. I always think they wouldn't have made cars 2 as fully independent studio. Glorified toy ad. You only have to endure Disneys Planes to see how close the studios must be now. Cars with wings.

Now that's a sh*t film.

It's weird though because Disney never do sequels of their films, proper for cinema sequels, where as Pixar seem to do them a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

It's weird though because Disney never do sequels of their films, proper for cinema sequels, where as Pixar seem to do them a lot.

Yeah, toy story did have sequels. Felt like they had a story for them, and they worked, the profits from merchandise a great bonus. Cars felt like they had merchandise and the story was the after thought. Lack of original ideas now, or worry about taking a risk? means we had MU, Cars 3 is on the way (shudder) after the Nemo sequel.

I will be shocked if Frozen doesn't get a sequel and despite my criticisms I'd probably be just a little excited too. Loved Olaf!

Yeah, toy story did have sequels. Felt like they had a story for them, and they worked, the profits from merchandise a great bonus. Cars felt like they had merchandise and the story was the after thought. Lack of original ideas now, or worry about taking a risk? means we had MU, Cars 3 is on the way (shudder) after the Nemo sequel.

Toy Story 2 was originally supposed to be straight to DVD but then Disney decided they wanted to release it in the cinemas. It was completely rewritten and reanimated then. I don't know if Disney maybe viewed Pixar as a way to cash in on sequels and merchandise without tarnishing their own animation reputation if they flopped?
    FunLover18 wrote: »
    I will be shocked if Frozen doesn't get a sequel and despite my criticisms I'd probably be just a little excited too. Loved Olaf!

I heard that they were planning one. Given it's bizarre massive popularity it would be amazing if they didn't.

• Advertisement

I think Finding Dory has some potential, given that she's a character who has no idea who she is or where she came from. There are some original works in the pipeline but unfortunately it's the known names that are getting the headlines.

Incredibles 2 was announced which I cannot be more excited for, of all the Pixar films it's the one that clearly warranted a sequel.

Cars 3 can go f*** itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Personally I think it was rubbish... My girlfriend made me get in on the Sky box office to watch it.. She liked it, but it wasn't as good as the hype... It wasn't good at all I feel

I stand corrected about the Frozen sequel. They're not even discussing it according to Disney's CEO. They are however doing a Wreck It Ralph sequel, announced 2 years after the original, so the Frozen sequel is not off the table entirely.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I think Finding Dory has some potential, given that she's a character who has no idea who she is or where she came from. There are some original works in the pipeline but unfortunately it's the known names that are getting the headlines.

Incredibles 2 was announced which I cannot be more excited for, of all the Pixar films it's the one that clearly warranted a sequel.

Cars 3 can go f*** itself

How did I manage to forgot about Incredibles 2. Excellent! Wonder if it'll start with the Underminer, he'll have to feature somewhere anyway to get John Ratzenberger in!

There's 7 films slated for release before Incredibles 2, so don't hold your breath for it :)

• Advertisement

There's 7 films slated for release before Incredibles 2, so don't hold your breath for it :)

D'oh.

Sorry to hijack the thread here but......Speaking of The Incredibles, kind of, Brad Bird is trying to get Warner Bros to release The Iron Giant on Blu Ray. Apparently they only want to release your bog standard disc while he wants to do a super cool big fat collectors edition. He was asked about it on twitter and suggested people tweet Warner Home Ent to show them how much interest there would be in it. I don't even own a Blu Ray player but I would splash out if I could get The Iron Giant on Blu Ray.

There's a bit more about it here, if you're interested... http://www.rotoscopers.com/2014/04/24/help-brad-bird-bring-the-iron-giant-to-blu-ray-collectors-edition/ .... if you haven't seen it I suggest you do. One of the best ever animated films.

Now.... back to Frozen... or Pixar... what were we talking about ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I hope there won't be a Frozen sequel. I'm sure there'll be a prolonged cash-in (I'd prefer not) but an in-cinemas full film production would be too much.

I saw this the other day. It's a great, absorbing Disney film. I spent a lot of time thinking on the significance of scenes while watching it, so I actually feel I missed out on a lot. There were some amazing touches, and the integrity and complexity of the script held throughout.

I loved Olaf (the little snowman) as a living embodiment of a suppressed/deleted memory and the honesty and innocence of that memory. An event that set off huge problems along with a simple mistake by the parents.

And it was Disney with a positive message. Which I think is a great thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Just finished watching this(probably the only person on the planet who hadn't seem it) and I have to say I loved it. Not usually big on the overly knowing animated films but this was almost perfect. Too many songs in the first half though, I actually think it would've been the perfect movie without the musical numbers.
    But these are minor gripes, I think this will become a Christmas classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

tunguska wrote: »
    Just finished watching this(probably the only person on the planet who hadn't seem it)

There's still a few of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I watched it a couple of weeks ago.A very enjoyable film and the animation is really beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

lertsnim wrote: »
    There's still a few of us.

What are you waiting for then, give it a go, you won't be sorry. Best to be seen at Christmas as well, like was said already, the winter animation looks beautiful

Advertisement