Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frozen

Options
  • 12-01-2014 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

If there's a topic for this already I apologise I just can't find it, surprised there isn't one. This was easily my favourite film of 2013, to the extent I've now seen it 11 times :p The mickey mouse short at the beginning looks a better in 3D as well. And the soundtrack is nothing short of magical <3

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

cloud493 wrote: »
    If there's a topic for this already I apologise I just can't find it, surprised there isn't one. This was easily my favourite film of 2013, to the extent I've now seen it 11 times :p The mickey mouse short at the beginning looks a better in 3D as well. And the soundtrack is nothing short of magical <3

I must ask: why? It's a decent film and all, but I'm always left wondering how and why people can a film so many times in such a short space of time. If I watch even a great film twice in quick succession it runs the risk of ruining it through overfamiliarity. But 11 times in barely a month... I'd honestly never want to watch the film ever again if I was forced to do that with one of my favourites.

As for the film itself, it's a lot of fun, with rich animation, a lot of energy and a familiar narrative with some solid, sometimes imaginative delivery and character development. The music is even quite strong, two or three songs as catchy as anything from Disney's history (Fixer Upper is particularly hummable). There's a few obvious issues. The talking snowman is absolutely unnecessary and a sad indicator that a wacky talking sidekick is seemingly mandatory in any Disney film. There's a few other concessions to the standard family film formula, too, and the whole thing outside the more imaginative setpieces breaks little new ground. But it is thoroughly enjoyable and energetic as long as you're willing to accept certain Disneyisms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Cos I love it. Its just great. Its a good movie when I'l actually pay for the soundtrack off itunes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

There's a few obvious issues. The talking snowman is absolutely unnecessary and a sad indicator that a wacky talking sidekick is seemingly mandatory in any Disney film. There's a few other concessions to the standard family film formula, too, and the whole thing outside the more imaginative setpieces breaks little new ground. But it is thoroughly enjoyable and energetic as long as you're willing to accept certain Disneyisms.

I thought he made the movie! Loved the snowman, thought he was going to have a more central role in the end actually-
    thought the act of love needed was going to be him melting for her- that line where he said "some people are worth melting for" so sweet
    . I'm not usually a fan of animated films but this one was lovely- doubt I'd watch it twice though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

cloud493 wrote: »
    Its a good movie when I'l actually pay for the soundtrack off itunes.

Technically, that's only proof it's a good soundtrack ;)

There's certain bits you kinda notice on a second watch. Like
    at the beginning, when Elsa strikes Annas head. Its her crying over Anna that melts the ice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No spoilers, but there is a part near the end where it looks like things were going to end badly. When I saw it in the cinema with my nephew and niece, you could have heard a pin drop when that particular scene happened, followed seconds later by the sound of lots of kids around me sobbing and crying.

Gotta love Disney. :)

The only criticism I'd venture is it feels its a song or so short.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I really liked it. Thought the animation was stunning and the voice acting was spot on (Fair Play to Kristen Bell for doing her own, impressive, singing). Was actually surprised in it once or twice
    Hans' reveal. Thought he was just gonna be the poor also-ran

I didn't have a problem with Olaf the snowman. I thought initially he was going to be a horrible Dreamworks eyebrow-y, popculture spouting (and thus instantly dated) sas-filled character but he was actually a pretty nice (If a bit unnecessary) character.

I did have a bit of a problem with the reindeer. He had his moments
    I thought his tongue stuck to the ice when they were thrown out of the ice-palace was VERY funny for some reason
    . But I thought he was just too Disney-animal cutesy.

I also thought the tone and character design, while pretty, was too similar to Tangled.

But overall I liked it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It definitely has that classic Disney spirit that has been lacking from their films for a long time. But it’s also heavily compromised by commercial interests. For all the radical stuff (for Disney) about female empowerment, there’s also a lot demographic pandering, starting with the title itself. The film is a musical about two sisters with a love-conquers-all narrative that isn’t about heterosexual romance. Yet you’d never know it from the title or marketing, which downplayed everything that was interesting or unique about the film.

Even within the film itself, the filmmakers are only willing to go so far before they feel the need to balance it out with more conventional stuff to appeal to young boys. The annoying and pointless sidekicks, the pedestrian set-pieces, etc. There’s also something terribly undercooked about the final act. It’s supposed to be a musical - where the hell did the songs go? If the outtakes on the deluxe soundtrack is anything to go by, they all ended up on the cutting room floor.

It’s a good film, with an intriguing central character and two or three fantastic musical numbers, but it's also one of the biggest missed opportunities of the year. Maybe Broadway will do a better job with it. Or maybe they already did. I haven’t been to see Wicked but I've heard Frozen owes more to it than it does to Hans Christian Andersen’s The Snow Queen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

according to today FM its now become the most sucessful disney movie of all time, over taking the lion king !

didnt see that coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,459 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It is also going to Broadway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I'll give this a watch.....but I will need beers first to bring out the inner child. So thats Sunday afternoon sorted and Monday written off. I love animation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Sing along version!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Brilliant film. All that it is missing is a villainous villain to be one of the best animation flicks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

went to see it last week and i thought it was great.

now im NOT a fan of the old school Disney "Singing every ten seconds" stuff but its been that long since i seen that in a film it didnt really annoy me.

its a musical anyway in all the ways that matter IMO.

If i was a kid between 6 and 11 id've fecking loved this as visually its as impressive as its score. a real throwback to the old ways of doing things and while the cynic in me can see the PC stuff i for one thought the "act of love" needed was a nice twist.

i wouldnt go see stuff like this often but its deffo was worth the effort and the songs actually do MEAN something instead of the happy clappy stuff ya usualy get. nice example of a flim actually derserving how its doing.

The blu ray is out tomorrow :D even though its still in the cinemas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Great movie, it hurts me to say this, but its better than most of the Pixar studios output in the last couple of years.

Lets hope this is the beginning of a great run of animations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,459 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Now the top grossing animated film of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Now the top grossing animated film of all time

Not adjusted for inflation. Still, who'd have envisaged that it would perform anything like it has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Not adjusted for inflation. Still, who'd have envisaged that it would perform anything like it has.

Yeah its was a good movie but tbh the more successful it becomes the more I'm baffled as to why

Cos its amazing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Tasden wrote: »
    Yeah its was a good movie but tbh the more successful it becomes the more I'm baffled as to why

Im not and I believe it works for the following reasons.

1. Returns to the classic Disney formula, which so many adults will have fond memories of
    2. Very well written, the dialogue is sharp and flows well.
    3.Excellent story telling.
    4. Great musical score (like old school Disney).
    5. Animation looks excellent, really high quality production.
    6. Enjoyable jokes for both adults and kids.
    7. They have included a loveable animal, this is almost a necessity in a hit.
    8. Nice little twist at the end to break the spell........

Overall Disney has done an excellent job, unfortunately they will probably attempt to ride it for sequels.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Only saw this last night. I was doubtful after how successful it's been that it could really be that good, but it was.

The Disney Princesses of my youth never appealed to me. I was a bit of a tomboy, I'll admit, so the "princess" aspect was never going to win me over plus all she ever did was sit around and talk to cutesy animals and wait for the prince to save her. The new breed of Disney Princesses are so much better. There's still the pretty dresses and crowns and all that jazz to appeal to the girly girls but they're so much better developed as characters now. I don't know if 10 and 11 year olds are aware of what they're seeing in that respect but these princesses are girls that get stuff done, they don't sit around waiting to be saved. It can only be a good thing for kids to see.

As mentioned before the twist on an act of true love at the end was really nice. I assumed Hans' kiss wouldn't work but I did think it was just going to pave the way for Christoff to save the day. I thought it was beautiful the way they played it out.

As for Olaf, I didn't mind him so much. I thought it was lovely how he had been created in their childhood by Elsa and was almost like a connection to their past. Then the giant monster snowman Elsa created later on was in stark contrast to the little guy she created in childhood.

I didn't notice it while watching but as some have pointed it out now it was maybe lacking a big closing musical number. A reprise of Do You Want To Build A Snowman would have been nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Not gonna lie; I was underwhelmed. It's very good but it's no where near Pixar and I don't think it's trying to be. The animation for me was mediocre (as was Tangled) and had a cheap direct to DVD feel for me. I think the relationship with between the sisters could have been fleshed out more, I also felt the film focused on the wrong sister. Anna is relatively boring, whereas Elsa is the one who has the real issues and she's pretty much a supporting character.

I thought the songs were weak, Let It Go felt oddly restrained and tame. All in all I felt it could have done with being a little longer and the songs could have done with extra umph. Tangles is a better film for me, possibly because there are less characters to focus on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Not gonna lie; I was underwhelmed. It's very good but it's no where near Pixar and I don't think it's trying to be. The animation for me was mediocre (as was Tangled) and had a cheap direct to DVD feel for me. I think the relationship with between the sisters could have been fleshed out more, I also felt the film focused on the wrong sister. Anna is relatively boring, whereas Elsa is the one who has the real issues and she's pretty much a supporting character.

I thought the songs were weak, Let It Go felt oddly restrained and tame. All in all I felt it could have done with being a little longer and the songs could have done with extra umph. Tangles is a better film for me, possibly because there are less characters to focus on.

I liked Tangled better too, for similar reasons, but to say frozen is nowhere near pixar is not comparing it with that studios recent output. Brave, cars 2 and Monsters University. None of which have much soul to speak of, Brave, the only original idea out of those felt very flat to me, and the story very thin. Pixar in its prime, I absolutely agree, but things ain't what they used to be there. Only hope inside out bucks the trend.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

^ Was thinking the same thing. Pixar haven't done a really great film since, in my opinion, Wall-E. And even the few between it and Nemo weren't great. That said I agree that all in all Tangled is the better film.

EDIT: How different is Disney from Pixar though? Aren't half the Pixar guys in charge of Disney's animation studios anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

John Lasseter is a Pixar man, creative boss there and Disney. Dare say there is a lot of cross pollination of ideas now. I always think they wouldn't have made cars 2 as fully independent studio. Glorified toy ad. You only have to endure Disneys Planes to see how close the studios must be now. Cars with wings.

Now that's a sh*t film.

Advertisement