Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soll

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Is anyone going for the Alive Outside trip?!

http://aliveoutsideskitrip.com/ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

fannymagee wrote: »
    Is anyone going for the Alive Outside trip?!

http://aliveoutsideskitrip.com/ie/

I know a bunch of people going, but can't go myself this year.
    FM, out of curiosity, just how unusual is this year for snow/weather in Ski Welt ? I keep seeing online that northern Austria is having a really bad year, warm temps & 40% down on snow. I know the pistes are open alright, but there seems to be a lot of green on the webcams - is it usually like this or is this year a bit of a one off ? Just a little curious and with half an eye on next year - I'm using the logic that it can't be this warm two years in a row :) !

No it's not usually like this Russman- this is a particularly bad year! The start of season was fantastic, but then it just didn't keep up. The OH reckons this is maybe the second season like this in 20 years, I've not experienced a season like this in the past 7 or so years... The one thing that has shone through this season is just how well they are able to maintain the pistes, even in this warm weather. Most of Soll's slopes are north facing, so it's better protected from the sun than the Brixen side- that's where the really green pics are from. The main thing is, throughout the whole season to date, all the Soll slopes have been open and well skiable, and kept in really great shape. It's the off-piste that was hit worst.

Last season was fantastic, we were still skiing well past Easter so hopefully next year is back to normal!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

No it's not usually like this Russman- this is a particularly bad year! The start of season was fantastic, but then it just didn't keep up. The OH reckons this is maybe the second season like this in 20 years, I've not experienced a season like this in the past 7 or so years... The one thing that has shone through this season is just how well they are able to maintain the pistes, even in this warm weather. Most of Soll's slopes are north facing, so it's better protected from the sun than the Brixen side- that's where the really green pics are from. The main thing is, throughout the whole season to date, all the Soll slopes have been open and well skiable, and kept in really great shape. It's the off-piste that was hit worst.

Last season was fantastic, we were still skiing well past Easter so hopefully next year is back to normal!! :-)

Thanks for that. Yeah, I was hoping its an unusual one, rather than a regular occurrence. I was with the tag trip in Westendorf in 2012 and there was literally feet of snow in the village and temps were double digits below zero for the full week, so was curious as to which was more "normal" !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Arrived today and love the village so far :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,074 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Arrived today and love the village so far :-)

Ur in the slaven using free wi fi?????.have a great week,was there a month ago and loved the place

Did you get to watch the rugby moving_home??! I meant to stick a post on here to say it'd be on in the Salven! Mahoney_j they're still trying to rebuild the nail game since you left! Brand new one today for the new arrivals ;-)

image238.jpg

Yip caught the rugby in the Mill. Ski school this morning so just having lunch. Having an amazing time so far!!

Ah cool, with Sean & Sinead??! Love that place. I gave them the Fir & Mná toilet signs for Christmas, make sure you admire them, lol!!
    ;-) Hope ski school is going well- has your instructor introduced you to the Chicken Place yet??! ;-)

Ah cool, with Sean & Sinead??! Love that place. I gave them the Fir & Mná toilet signs for Christmas, make sure you admire them, lol!!
    ;-) Hope ski school is going well- has your instructor introduced you to the Chicken Place yet??! ;-)

Didn't meet Sean and Sinead! Nope haven't heard anything about the Chicken Place, tell me more!!!

• Advertisement

Didn't meet Sean and Sinead! Nope haven't heard anything about the Chicken Place, tell me more!!!

Oh my God sorry, you were in the MILL!! Ah the Dubliner is the REAL Irish bar, it's in the back of the Red Horse, it's run by Sean & Sinead, they're a very sound brother & sister from Meath ;-)

I presume you've been in the SalvenStadl for après? It's great fun in there, I find the Mill pretty soulless tbh ;)

The Chickenplace is the Stocklalm, the big restaurant beside all the lifts in the bowl at the Middlestation. It does a REALLY tasty rotisserie chicken at lunchtime- get there early though!!

The little bar halfway down the blue family run also does the best schnitzel around- its really tasty. Definitely try that too!!

What level of skischool are you doing? :)

What level of skischool are you doing? :)

Sorry not being nosey!! I just mean are you up on the nursery slopes, Middlestation, or are you heading off on tour etc ;-)

Sorry not being nosey!! I just mean are you up on the nursery slopes, Middlestation, or are you heading off on tour etc ;-)

Haha no worries! Nursery! Didn't even know how put skis on yesterday!! Moving up the mountain tomorrow. I'm loving it! I'm actually addicted to skiing!
    We ended up doing a bit of a pub crawl yesterday but didn't make the Dubliner, must try there tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

We passed Brixen last weekend on the train and it nearly brought tears to my eyes. It would have if I was staying in Brixen anyway. The south facing slopes were decimated. It looked more like early April than the middle of February - green slopes everywhere.

We were in Kitzbuhel with North-ish facing slopes and it was "fine" but not what you would expect for this time of year. The opposite slope (Ki-West) looked pretty barren, but at least it had some snow. It snowed a couple of days and the slopes were topped up, but the temperatures were sufficiently high that the new snow didn't have much of an impact 36 hours later.

On the plus side it meant that the slopes were really quiet. Given that it was mid-term for the usual suspects the queues were tiny. We didn't have to wait more than 2 or 3 minutes (like 40 or 50 people constantly moving) at the bottom of the Hahnenkanm. The maximum anywhere, on any day might have been 8 or 10 minutes.

z

This is the really good thing about Soll- most of the slopes are north facing. When you stand at the top of the Hohe Salve & look over towards Brixen/Westendorf it can look completely green, except for the white ribbon down to Brixen- it's been a really bad year conditions-wise, but particularly for that side of the mountain.

Moving_home that's the other reason I was asking- you wouldn't have passed the Chicken Place yet if you;re down on the nursery slopes, but you probably will tomorrow! Who's your instructor?! Tell them you've a special request lol ;-)

You'll be skiing the Salvenmoos tomorrow so- it's a lovely slope. I have a friend who never bothered to progress beyond it- it has a nice bar at the top that you can sit outside & watch the world go by, and then the chicken place at the bottom, so she reckons she wants nothing more, lol!! (I have twisted her arm a bit since though, lol)

Schedule for St Patrick's Week, Soll :-)

image243.jpg

image244.jpg

Sorry- they're very hard to read!! I've posted the full details earlier in this thread :-)

Link to online schedule. Who's coming??! :D

http://www.skiwelt.at/en/st-patricks-week-in-austria.html

Just wanted to update this thread. We had an amazing week in Soll! Just home and wrecked! Last Saturday none of us knew anything about skiing and hadn't a breeze. By the end of the week we had skied 3 red slopes! An amazing achievement for us and when I first saw these slopes last weekend I thought I would never be able to do it, never mind on this trip. We attended 5 days of ski school and had an amazing instructor. We didn't miss any time which probably helped.

Soll is a beautiful quaint town with just the right level of après ski and some fabulous restaurants.

Slaven Stadl is the best pub for après ski but is generally dead by 8pm.
    We spent most of the week in the Whiskey Muehle and the Underground. We were in the Dubliner a couple of times but it was dead (this could have been bad timing on our part).

Restaurant wise - our group's favourite was Auf de Muehle. It was a little pricey but steaks were amazing.
    Rossini's and Bella Vita also went down well.
    Dorf Stub'N and Postwirt had mixed reviews from our gang.
    The chicken place on the slopes for lunch was amazing!!

Just wanted to update this thread. We had an amazing week in Soll! Just home and wrecked! Last Saturday none of us knew anything about skiing and hadn't a breeze. By the end of the week we had skied 3 red slopes! An amazing achievement for us and when I first saw these slopes last weekend I thought I would never be able to do it, never mind on this trip. We attended 5 days of ski school and had an amazing instructor. We didn't miss any time which probably helped.

Soll is a beautiful quaint town with just the right level of après ski and some fabulous restaurants.

Slaven Stadl is the best pub for après ski but is generally dead by 8pm.
    We spent most of the week in the Whiskey Muehle and the Underground. We were in the Dubliner a couple of times but it was dead (this could have been bad timing on our part).

Restaurant wise - our group's favourite was Auf de Muehle. It was a little pricey but steaks were amazing.
    Rossini's and Bella Vita also went down well.
    Dorf Stub'N and Postwirt had mixed reviews from our gang.
    The chicken place on the slopes for lunch was amazing!!

Ah brilliant, sounds like you'd a great time- and I'm delighted you got to the chicken place, lol!!

AND you got the best beginners instructor- happy days! You coming back for Paddy's weekend?! Lol ;-)

• Advertisement

Oh my God, is there anybody left in Ireland?! I think the entire population is here this week- and the Alive Outside crew haven't even hit the slopes yet! Lock n load Soll, it's gonna be a big 'un :-)

Photos from the past few days in Soll. Pistes still in great nick, despite the recent need for sunscreen! :-)

The valleys are green, but the mountains are white! :-)

image249.jpg

image248.jpg

image247.jpg

All three snowparks are up & running:

image245.jpg

image250.jpg

Lovin the 'warning' sign on this one, lol! ;-)

image251.jpg

T.O.T.A.L. G.R.I.D.L.O.C.K!! Soll style ;-)

image246.jpg

Faschings Dienstag, Soll :-)

image255.jpg

Elvis the Ski Instructor ;-)

image254.jpg

Great dump of schneee overnight, Kinderland is powdered out, lol! All hands on deck to tamp it down before the Bambinis arrive ;-)

image257.jpg

image256.jpg

BAHAHAHHAAAHA!!!

Ahhh, I saw this & thought of here. Lol!! ;-)

image258.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

When does the season end in Soll, Fanny? Might be able to fit one more quick trip in before everything melts, and am looking for ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Don't know in Soll, but I get the impression it's lower down than other resorts. You may want to check out somewhere that is higher up and is more likely to have snow late in the season. I was disappointed lower altitudes for where we were in Brixen had practically no snow.

cormee wrote: »
    When does the season end in Soll, Fanny? Might be able to fit one more quick trip in before everything melts, and am looking for ideas.

Season ends March 30th Cormee- come on over for Paddy's!! It's shaping up to be a great weekend :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Season ends March 30th Cormee- come on over for Paddy's!! It's shaping up to be a great weekend :-)

Too soon, unfortunately, Fanny. We only decided in the last few days to get a final trip in, so it will take a bit of organising. Looks like it will be Chamonix, which I wouldn't be the biggest fan of.

Still, snow is snow. :D

Advertisement