Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soll

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Soll powder over the weekend- pics by a friend :-)

image205.jpg

image204.jpg

image203.jpg

Right, who's in Soll at the moment?! Snoozerface I know you're around somewhere!! Giant slalom on Friday at the Keat. It'll be good fun, and the after-party in the Salven is always great, loads of prizes. Come & say hello if you're around, I'll be the only girl with the Telemark team so easy spotted! See you there ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Any recommendations for ways to get to Brixen im Thale from Munich airport?
    Is it best to prebook the train or just buy tickets on arrival?

I always buy on arrival, it's no hassle. Go downstairs in the airport, follow the signs for the S Bahn & you'll find the ticket desk. They'll direct you from there. Have a great trip!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Gatica wrote: »
    Any recommendations for ways to get to Brixen im Thale from Munich airport?
    Is it best to prebook the train or just buy tickets on arrival?

If there are a few of you, there are great group prices for the German portion of your trip. http://www.bahn.com/i/view/overseas/en/prices/germany/schoenes-wochenende-ticket.shtml
    Or http://www.bahn.com/i/view/DEU/en/prices/germany/laender-ticket.shtml

Here's some good info : http://www.skiing.ie/ski-resorts/getting-to-skiwelt-austria/

• Advertisement

Thanks, I looked into that but I read that those tickets only apply on standard commuter trains and not on the ICE or IC trains. So I didn't want to chance it, nor do I want to take the long way there for the sake of a few quid.
    Was more worrying about whether not buying a ticket now would mean we could end up without a place on the train. I noticed though some train times give a warning about being quite full, and recommending to book. The times we're likely to travel seem to be fine. The best train for us is only 30 mins after landing, so I don't want to get ticket in case we miss it (most likely we will). Otherwise, we'll catch the next one after it.

How far is it to walk from terminal 1 Munich to the S-bahn?

Any ideas of cost of taxi from Worgl to Brixen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

The S-bahn station is downstairs in the terminal,it takes no time at all to get there. Its well signposted. Theres a manned ticket desk at the entrance, it may well be possible, even probable to get on the train within 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Thanks, I looked into that but I read that those tickets only apply on standard commuter trains and not on the ICE or IC trains. So I didn't want to chance it, nor do I want to take the long way there for the sake of a few quid.

There aren't many ICE/IC trains to Kufstein/Wörgl from Munich, about 1 or 2 a day I think? The regional trains to Kufstein are about 13 mins longer than the IC/ICE.

The S-bahn is right under terminal 1.

We were quoted €6.50pp from Wörgl to Westendorf in a taxi.

you guys are the best! Thank you! great to have all this info up-front.
    Can't wait to get there now.

Snowing snowing snowing today. Visibility ****e, but POWDERRRR!! ;-)

• Advertisement

Off-piste, Soll. Just asking for tracks!! :-)

image210.jpg

image212.jpg

image211.jpg

image209.jpg

image214.jpg

So the OH came home yesterday absolutely beaming about a private lesson he'd had with an Irish guy (from Kilkenny?!) yesterday morning, which only happened because of a mix-up in the bookings. I couldn't help wondering if it was anyone from on here, lol! Whoever it was, I hope they enjoyed their 2 hours half as much as he did ;-)

OK forget wonderboy from yesterday, this news just in... Soll is going GREEEN for Paddy's Day!! (Apparently, lol)

Also, both Rinner and Salvenmoos Funparks are open again:

image217.jpg

image216.jpg

Happy Valentine's Day, from Soll <3 etc etc ;-)

image208.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Entonces

looks awesome

arriving tomorrow maybe see you round...and thanks for all the posts they've left me gagging to get over there the last few months

Entonces wrote: »
    looks awesome

arriving tomorrow maybe see you round...and thanks for all the posts they've left me gagging to get over there the last few months

You're very welcome entonces! Here's tonight's full moon- you can check it out for yourself tomorrow night!! Safe travels :-)

Ok guys, anyone looking at Paddys week in Soll? Just FYI Top flight have flights, accomm & transfers for €429 for the week of March 16-22nd ;)

had great trip to SkiWelt. A nice region for intermediate skiing and restaurants much better priced than France/Switzerland.
    Not as snowy as we thought it would be. High up was ok, but we missed having the home run at the end of the day (south facing slope). Unfortunately it seems this year they had a lot less snow than before.

Ah that's good to hear Gatica- glad you enjoyed!! You were in Brixen, right? The south facing aspect is a bummer in warmer weather alright- I sometimes wonder about the location of the AlpenIglu, lol!! ;-)

• Advertisement

Schedule for St Patrick's Week, Soll:

Sat 15h:

13.00: 10th Annual Ted Kaufmann Seilrenne (Rope Race). Giant Slalom with a difference- charity race with teams of 3 skiers/snowboarders racing while tied together with a rope. Twice as much fun as it sounds- all welcome to enter!!! Just bring a rope... (Not in your hand luggage though, lol) ;-)

18.00: Ireland -vs- France, SalvenStadl.

18.30: St Patrick's Week Special welcome evening, Hochsoll- Slopes floodlit in GREEEEEN!!! 2 toboggan runs open for the non-skiers.

21.00: Red Horse Welcome Party

21.30: Live Music: Frog on the Tyne, Rossini

Sunday 16th:

16.00: Salvenstadl, Live Music Big Frog

16.30: Red Horse, Live Music Cuckoo

21.00: SalvenStadl Welcome Party, DJ Glenn

Monday 17th ST PATRICK'S DAY

12.45: FACY DRESS SKI PARADE: Meet with Skischool Soll Hochsoll (Blue uniforms) at GrundlAlm- bring your flags/fancy dress/rubber shamrocks, whatever! Parade will be from Keat to GrundlAlm, and will be photographed & videoed by SkiWelt & published online at www.skiwelt.at.

14.00: St Patrck's Day Party @ GrundlAlm/ Umbrella Bar, Live Music.

16.00: SalvenStadtl Apres Ski, Frog on the Tyne: MAHOOSIVE Paddy's Day Party.

21:00: Live music in Gasthof Christopherous & Red Horse (but I can pretty much guarantee you'll won't be inclined to leave the SalvenStadl- they know how to throw a party) ;-)

Photo from last years Rope Race:
    image45.jpg

highpath wrote: »
    Gatica, Its no. 33 Kummereralm on the piste map on skiwelt.at. The gluwein in there is also very good, nicely spiced, not too sweet.

We did find this place, took a wrong turn off the red slope first time, but found it ok the second time around. Really lovely place, the staff very friendly and portions very generous (I had to have the kid's size meals :) )
    I think they may do specials on different days as there wasn't any brandy custard when we were there :( Still worth a visit though!
    highpath wrote: »
    Its a bit of fun in the evening to log in to this site and see the icon travelling around the piste map tracking the lifts you've been on. Enjoy. Feel free to ask any questions..

Is there a website where you can see where you ski-pass was used?
    fannymagee wrote: »
    Ah that's good to hear Gatica- glad you enjoyed!! You were in Brixen, right? The south facing aspect is a bummer in warmer weather alright- I sometimes wonder about the location of the AlpenIglu, lol!! ;-)

Yes, we were in Brixen. Very quiet town, especially in the evenings. I think it's more of a "local" tourist area as we didn't hear much English until we got the other side of the mountains.
    We could ski down from the Choralm side but not from Hochbrixen unfortunately. I'm amazed all that snow help up in plus degree weather!

Gatica it's called Skiline, here's the link. Follow the instructions there- hopefully you still have your liftpass? :-)

http://www.skiwelt.at/en/the-skiline-altitude-descent-evaluation-service-at-skiwelt.html

For anyone in Soll this week, the last Salven Stadl Giant Slalom of the season is on this Friday at 1pm- if you haven't registered already, do it now!! Great fun- just do it soon- you don't want to end up with the last start number!! ;-)

Everyone's welcome, all levels of skier (as long as you feel competent that you can do it!!), and skiers, boarders, bladers, telemarkers, monoskis- whatever you want to strap to your feet ;-)

Aaand if you faceplant- you've at least seen evidence here that you weren't the first ;-)

image118.jpg

image228.jpg

image234.jpg

Gatica it's called Skiline, here's the link. Follow the instructions there- hopefully you still have your liftpass? :-)

http://www.skiwelt.at/en/the-skiline-altitude-descent-evaluation-service-at-skiwelt.html

Thanks! glad I kept the card now :) Interesting to see the lifts visited.

Oops my apologies guys, there is no Salven Stadl race on this Friday!! Next one is Friday March 7th. Who's in??! (Ya have to be in it to win it, lol!!) :-)

https://www.facebook.com/events/1435883289982448/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Flying on Saturday. Getting very excited! Have a stupid question!!! I have quite a few food intolerances so just wondering if there is any chance of getting goat/soya milk in a shop in Soll?

Flying on Saturday. Getting very excited! Have a stupid question!!! I have quite a few food intolerances so just wondering if there is any chance of getting goat/soya milk in a shop in Soll?

That's not a stupid question!! Yes there are 2 large supermarkets and they do a range of milks- I don't drink coffee but I'm pretty sure you can get a Soy Latte in the some of the coffee shops too ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

That's not a stupid question!! Yes there are 2 large supermarkets and they do a range of milks- I don't drink coffee but I'm pretty sure you can get a Soy Latte in the some of the coffee shops too ;-)

Brilliant thanks so much. The only thing I've been worried about us avoiding milk and wheat cos it was spoil a holiday when I'm not well.

• Advertisement

No problem! I'd say you'll be grand food wise so- it's a lot of carbohydrate heavy food but not necessarily wheat or milk- in fact they don't use much milk at all over there! :-)

Advertisement