Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS Now - Playstation Streaming Service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

All depends on the prices for me. I hope when it works, it works essentially the same as playing a PS4 game, multitasking and access to the menu screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I have two questions :

1. Do you need a Sony Bravia TV for this?

2. How does the controller Connect to the TV?

Ed

• Registered Users Posts: 29,684 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

eddhorse wrote: »
    I have two questions :

1. Do you need a Sony Bravia TV for this?

2. How does the controller Connect to the TV?

Ed

1. It will work on bravia tv's (no exact models confirmed yet) but you dont need one as it will work on sony tablets, vita and ps4 as well.

2. Unknown how the joypad connects to devices yet but beta starting this month so might hear soon how it works.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Second question was how to use controllers, not price.

I'd expect it to be bluetooth. Somewhat surprised tv remotes havent adapted it over infer red.

I use the XBMC app on my iphone over wifi. Surprised more remotes aren't wifi.

Thanks for the answers lads and lassies.

Pity there is no vita and ps4 deal, I'd buy it.

• Advertisement

You can actually get a ps4 and vita package in the uk, not sure if its coming or is in ireland but id say they would sell very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

Was still on the fence about switching over from XBOX but if this works then I think it seals it. I missed out on a lot of exclusives by not owning a ps3 and this would be saaweet :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭bitch please

cant wait for this will you have to pay for it and when is it coming out

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Rida

when sony launched the ps4 last year - why did they only show the controller first?

its because the new ps4 controller will be able to connect to new sony bravia tv's and use the PS now service without the black box under the tv. Expect other manufacturers like samsung and LG to jump on this Sony Now bandwagon and this will explode. Smart TV's in CES 2015 will have the PlayStation now app / function built in.

PS4 will be truly the last console produced by sony in its current form.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Rida wrote: »
    when sony launched the ps4 last year - why did they only show the controller first?

its because the new ps4 controller will be able to connect to new sony bravia tv's and use the PS now service without the black box under the tv. Expect other manufacturers like samsung and LG to jump on this Sony Now bandwagon and this will explode. Smart TV's in CES 2015 will have the PlayStation now app / function built in.

PS4 will be truly the last console produced by sony in its current form.

Eh, no. The reason they only showed the controller was because the box design wasn't finalised but the DS4 was.

As for other manufacturers jumping on the bandwagon, I can guarantee you Sony want this to happen. It can only benefit then in the long run as the more devices capable of utilising the service, the more subscriptions they get.

As for the end of consoles, no, I believe there will be the another console at least before broadband penetration is good enough to overtake it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Otacon wrote: »
    As for the end of consoles, no, I believe there will be the another console at least before broadband penetration is good enough to overtake it.

I think that is a fair point.. they would be losing a huge market if broadband still wasn't anywhere near good enough for a lot of area's.

Be interesting to see in a few years.

You would assume if they will start streaming to Tvs tablets etc... that you'll be able to stream to PCs eventually too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Technically you bought a license to use that software not just a disc. It would be nice if they would honour this but when does being nice trump making more money.

It's not quite as simple as that. When you buy a disk, the T&C are that you don't make copies, modify or broadcast the data. It's why when you buy a game for the 360, you can't get it for free on the PS3. You don't own the software, you own that particular copy of the software.

10 things we should know about PS Now. Specific Game Rentals might be very handy. A few quid (most likely) to play a game for a week. This will suit most* Single player games

*Demons/Dark Souls will need much much longer

Looks like 5mb internet connection is needed.

PlayStation Now will recommends an internet connection speed of 5Mb/s to ensure a "good experience", according to Sony.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/01/09/playstation-now-requires-5mbs-connection?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Otacon wrote: »

tok9 wrote: »
    I think that is a fair point.. they would be losing a huge market if broadband still wasn't anywhere near good enough for a lot of area's.

Be interesting to see in a few years.

You would assume if they will start streaming to Tvs tablets etc... that you'll be able to stream to PCs eventually too.

Another thing to take into account with streaming services is data usage. All I see is how strong a connection people may need, but no mention of this very important figure. It can be make or break for a lot of people regardless if they have the hardware/connection to support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Gb493Or.jpg

Ah lads, well at least I should have eircom e-fiber by then.

2015 :eek: christ, won't be waiting with glee just yet.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

cloud493 wrote: »
    2015 :eek: christ, won't be waiting with glee just yet.,

Sure let the yanks beta test for us! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I don't think anyone should be too surprised by that roadmap.

In all interviews I've ever heard they have spoken about the broadband conditions in Europe not being up to scratch.

• Advertisement

Anyone else get the Playstation Now Private Beta code?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

There are plenty of people ignoring the ignoring any NDA they might have agreed to while beta testing the PS Now service over on NeoGAF. The feedback all seems to be very positive.

One thing that I thought sounded cool was the ability to play a PS3 game by streaming it on the PS4 and continuing your progress of the game from a PS3 save file in the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Giving people PS now copies of their physical games is probably out of the question but I hope that you get access to any digital games you already own.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 LimeTimee

Varik wrote: »
    Giving people PS now copies of their physical games is probably out of the question but I hope that you get access to any digital games you already own.

When people say this it annoys me so much. On sky box office, if you own a blu ray, do they let you watch it on box office for free?

Why would Sony let you stream a game off if their servers for free? If you have the game (digitally or physical), play the game. Don't ask Sony to stream a game you already have for free, because it's not free for them to stream it. It costs Sony money to pay for the servers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

LimeTimee wrote: »
    When people say this it annoys me so much. On sky box office, if you own a blu ray, do they let you watch it on box office for free?

Why would Sony let you stream a game off if their servers for free? If you have the game (digitally or physical), play the game. Don't ask Sony to stream a game you already have for free, because it's not free for them to stream it. It costs Sony money to pay for the servers etc.

Well sony offered this as a solution to the lack of backwards compaibility to ps3.
    I dont think its unreasonable for them to let me play games I already bought on ps3 on the ps4 for either free or a nominal upgrade fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

From Press Release.
    At the start of the open beta, over a 100 titles covering a wide range of genres will be available from SCE Worldwide Studios (SCE WWS) and the industry’s best software developers and publishers. SCE will work with its publishing partners to test various rental periods and prices, depending on how and when players would like to game. For example, there will be shorter rental periods priced as low as US$2.99, and most titles will be between US$2.99 and US$19.99. As with all content published on PlayStation platforms, publishers and developers will ultimately decide their game price points. Furthermore, SCE plans to offer subscription options in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Interesting range of prices. Hopefully they're around about the same level here. Wonder how long €19.99 buys ya?

I'd say a subscription to this service may be quite costly, i'm thinking €29.99 per month even!

If I make a USA account, would I get access to the open beta?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭bitch please

I dont think so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It could be possible if you change your DNS settings.

Advertisement