Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sochi Olympic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

amiee fuller blog on sochi

http://www.aimeefuller.co.uk/blog/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Women's snowboarding cross is on 'Red button 1'

Very exciting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Yes, USA - RUS hockey game was very exciting.

Oshie scored 4/6 shootouts.

Slovakian goalkeeper just got a 2 minute penalty. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Started watching the curling during the week and after reading through the rules, I am hooked. Great game between China and Canada earlier. I was so annoyed when BBC left it when it was all tied to show some other sport. Luckily I was able to watch it elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Damn the Russians make hard work out of that... But yeah! Womens snowboard cross that was just crazy exciting. Drama drama drama, they could turn it into a soap! Ricker going down under no pressure and Jacobellis out in front going down, I think she was the only one that could match the Czech. Only a few hours to the mens but I don't think it'll have as much craziness as the womens haha. Anyone watch the 4x10km relay? "The beast", some boyo that German chap, big unit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Curling is addictive once you get into it!!

Sending healing vibes to the sweet and bubbly Rowan Chesire who was knocked unconscious in half pipe training!! Hoping she recovers in time to compete

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

Highlight of the weekend:
    Womens Snowboarding cross!
    enjoyed the grudge ice hockey game too..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Would be quite happy to sit watching the curling, but I think you need to actually pay attention to what is going on through the games. Doesn't really suit the watching on the sly in work. Could really do with some more exciting snow or ice action today, but the weather seems to have put paid to that for the rest of the day.

Must be some more bob-sleigh coming up later as that can't be effected by a bit of fog in the same way.

Oh My God! :eek:

Women's ice hockey, USA vs Sweden.

2nd period just started and USA is leading with 3:0 (shots on goal are 37:2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

quarryman wrote: »
    Silver medalist (American girl) alongside Lizzy Yarnold = smoking hot.

Yeah thats Noelle pinkus pace, she is hot. Her celebration was brilliant, shes been through a lot of sh1t in recent times so I guess it all just came flooding out of her. Shame shes retiring and that was her last slide. What a contest though, the atmosphere in the sliding centre was unreal.
    Epic weekend all in all. The mens super G was the best I can remember in a long time. The womens snowboard cross was brilliant, the cross country skiing relay, the ice hockey, the 2 man Bob, all amazing. I love football but watching the winter olympics makes you realise how bland and ordinary the premier league really is. Cant wait for thursday and the ski-cross, its gonna be whopper.

• Advertisement

The game ended with a score 6:1

USA had 70 shots on goal, Sweden had 9. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Lenmeister wrote: »
    Awesome USA vs Russia game, Oshie scored all his penos, 4 in total I think?

can ice hockey games not end in a draw?? that was a group match so i can't understand the need for peno's

fryup wrote: »
    can ice hockey games not end in a draw?? that was a group match so i can't understand the need for peno's

I don't understand why people call them penalty shots, peno's or whatever.

Ice hockey games can't end in a draw. If the score is tied after first 60 minutes, the game goes into 5 minute overtime. The first team to score wins the game. If no goal is scored, the game goes into a shootout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

The way the competition works, every match is worth exactly three table points. A regular-time victory gives you all 3 points. An overtime- or penalties-victory gives you 2 points with the losers getting the other point.

I don't think draws are allowed in any big hockey tournaments. They always play overtime to find a winner. Same in basketball.

I think I've only half-answered your question though. You'd probably have to look into the history of the event to find out why they don't use a 6-Nations-style format or a Premier League-style format.

Loss in regulation = 0 points
    Loss in overtime or shootout = 1 point
    Win in overtime or shootout = 2 points
    Win in regulation = 3 points

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

GvidoR wrote: »
    I don't understand why people call them penalty shots, peno's or whatever.

well what should we call it then??

well what should we call it then??

Shootout, that's what it is.

They have nothing to do with penalties.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

GvidoR wrote: »
    Shootout, that's what it is.

They have nothing to do with penalties.

I was amazed the first time I came across this, that all games must end in a win/lose result

Stheno wrote: »
    I was amazed the first time I came across this, that all games must end in a win/lose result

I think it would be weird if they could end in a tie. Then there no winners.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Well done to Elise Christie there in the short track. Totally bossed that last two laps and will do wonders for her confidence now after the last few days of disasters.

• Advertisement

she demolished the field!
    and a cool customer to hold back for the 1st few laps.
    listening to her she has a lot of crap going around her head , she needs to focus for friday and for sure shes a medal contender.
    best of luck to her

on a side note i wish the BBC would leave her alone to get on with it , maybe her coach could speak for her and let her focus on the track

She seems to be about to break down in every interview.

From the last one though I think that she must have been seeing some BBC news reports, or chatting with the BBC reporters off line around Sochi, as she was thanking the BBC for support through the web abuse stuff.

i think her team has a lot to answer , maybe they are obliged to give one media interview after competing?
    she should never of been let near the BBC after the 1500M , she was clearly upset! why didnt her team usher her away?
    i suppose BBC have to ask the questions but its bordering on tabloid sensationalism.
    I think she should have support to allow only one question about the previous events and to be focused on results on track.

either way she will learn from all this :)
    and i think it will be a massive focus for her to go to Korea and prove a point , she looks more than capable of stealing the medals from them

The only way that the competitors to leave their event is through the mixed zone with the media. And that being a single file lane past each new station you basically have to chat or you would look even worse by just blanking your own national media.

Was actually chatting with a guy on the underground during London 2012 who was a doctor for Harlequins Rugby or something normally, but was volunteering in the stadium as part of the medical staff. He said that the only way a competitor could get an excuse to not go through the mixed zone, and not get in trouble for it, was if he said so as the track doctor. Not sure what penalty they would give, but you only get out of the event another way by him putting you on a stretcher.

This team skating looks like it could get confusing. They are very well organised though with not crashing and that many people on the rink at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Has anyone been watching the Biathlon races? Some great races this Olympics, following Martin Fourcade, he was pipped at the post by 3 cm this morning in the mass start!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Has anyone been watching the Biathlon races? Some great races this Olympics, following Martin Fourcade, he was pipped at the post by 3 cm this morning in the mass start!
    The one shot that Fourcade missed really cost him.
    It restores Norway as favourites to win the medals table as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Absoluvely wrote: »
    The one shot that Fourcade missed really cost him.
    It restores Norway as favourites to win the medals table as well.
    Very true.
    It cost him but at the same time, it was impressive how he caught up as well.

Absolutley. I logged on here today expecting everybody to be buzzing about that race, but barely a word???? Phenomenal race, fourcade's shooting was perfect, especially at the last stop. But what was Svendsen at throwing his arms into the air and almost getting done on the line. Shades of Steve Ovett there.......
    Mens snowboard cross was great aswell, not as dramatic as the womens but still pretty epic. Womens Super Giant slalom was brilliant though, some amazing runs in bad conditions. What is going on with the womens skiing though, its like the International ski federation recruited directly from the Victoria Secrets catalogue, some serious lookers in that sport, and they're all crazy brave which makes them even more attractive I think.

• Advertisement

NBC reporter being a bit of a twat with her interview of Bode Miller after the mens super G.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/02/bode-miller-cries-interview.html

Advertisement