Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sochi Olympic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Sochi from space

BgN4HWVCYAACfCS.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Someone went to a lot of effort her today just under the tree it reads

"Gold Dominique Danke"

Chucking snow all afternoon so hard to read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Does anyone know what that music was that the last Czech figure skater was using?

edit: Nevermind, found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭prunudo

I thought it while watching this morning but after seeing the highlights show I still think that Gus Kenworthy should have got the gold in the men's slope style. Although I'm only a humble boarder so what would I know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

what time are the two lads on today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

what time are the two lads on today?
    Cross-Country-icon.png2020599-90X112.jpg
    ireland-flag.jpg Jan ROSSITER finished 82nd out of 87 finishers in the 15km cross-country classic (time-trial) today.
    His time was 48:44.6. The winner's time was 38:29.7.
    Event page here: http://www.sochi2014.com/en/cross-country-men-s-15-km-classic

Skeleton-icon.png2033867-90X112.jpg
    ireland-flag.jpg Sean GREENWOOD is in Heat 1 of the Skeleton, which starts in half an hour.
    He's 21st on the starting list though so it could be a while before he runs.
    Event page here: http://www.sochi2014.com/en/skeleton-men-s-heat-1

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Golfer59

Sean's first run wasn't to bad, as the BBC commentators said its hard to be fast when you have a big upper body seeing as he came from playing rugby. after heat 1 he is matching his world ranking position.

Golfer59 wrote: »
    Sean's first run wasn't to bad, as the BBC commentators said its hard to be fast when you have a big upper body seeing as he came from playing rugby. after heat 1 he is matching his world ranking position.

Yeah. He's ranked 21st and he's in 21st position. He will need to improve in Heat 2 though as it's only the top 20 who go into Heats 3 and 4 tomorrow.

Heat 2 has started. I'd say Sean will be sliding in about 25 minutes.

Crashed and sort of recovered.

He finished about 7 seconds slower than his first time. So no chance of sliding again tomorrow.

• Advertisement

big fall for sean, didn't look good he managed to finish far play to him, going to be sore in the morning

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just need Yarnold to stay upright and looks like a gold is about as secured as you can get. Trying to decide if I can make it back home before the final run or if I carry on watching on the stream in work?

You have about 25 minutes before the leaders are out

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

w00t

Was such a big lead there, nobody else even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

well done :)
    delighted for her and the team

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Amazing that she didn't even start until a few years ago

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

God Damn, Amy Williams is fcking gorgeous. What a beauty.

Well done to Lizzy Yarnold. :o

Stheno wrote: »
    Amazing that she didn't even start until a few years ago

After her gold and Jenny's bronze it should give young people in this country hope to follow their dreams and not to be put off by the fact we are a snowless country. Hopefully the likes of Seamus O'Connor can inspire home grown talent too. Never say never.

Cracking result for the Brits she won it bye a mile!'

Seamus has all ready inspired and pushed some of our ever growing freestyle kids he engages with them regularly on line. We have anything upwards of 20-40 kids every Friday but no funding, every feature used had been paid for by me and built by the old man! The club provided the snow flex for the ramps and the SAI pay for an airbag as part of world snow day every year !!

Funding and commitment are a big ask for a sport where your reward is being an Olympian and hoping for a top 20 finish. Although technical alpine events and Nordic events have an Olympic B standard Freestyle is the top 30 riders in the world invite only as is ski cross.

That is not to say it can not be done I certainly believe we could have a freestyle athlete there in 2018 if anyone wants to bankroll them

Can we claim this figure skater. Green top, irish music, ah sure he must be ours.

Jason Brown, a 19 yr old American kid.

• Advertisement

jvan wrote: »
    Can we claim this figure skater. Green top, irish music, ah sure he must be ours.

Jason Brown, a 19 yr old American kid.

Sadly he is not even Irish American apparently he is of Jewish heritage!

Marian komissariva Russian ski cross athlete rushed to hospital for emergency back surgery after an accident in training today

Hope it's not as serious as it seems

Half pipe training canceled to save the pipe as temps hit 16 degrees!! Carbon copy of the test event last year and the suggestion to move the pipe was ignored then!!!

USA V RUS Men's Ice Hockey going into overtime

USA win after an extended sudden death penalty shootout. TJ Oshie with the game winning shots

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Silver medalist (American girl) alongside Lizzy Yarnold = smoking hot.

Spotted one of my mates in the background behind Clair Balding just before the medal ceremony dressed in the volunteer outfit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

USA win after an extended sudden death penalty shootout. TJ Oshie with the game winning shots

Oshie was super cool and it was a good choice to give him all the penalty shots.

Was the net off the moorings the official reasoning behind Russias disallowed goal?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-olympics/26207045

elise christie having to close twitter account due to cyber bullying.
    a lot of pressure put on the athletes , lets hope she can get a medal in the 1000M

for anyone who cant stream from bbc
    this is awesome , Japanese guy to Gary Moore!

http://vimeo.com/86637873

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

Awesome USA vs Russia game, Oshie scored all his penos, 4 in total I think?

Can't wait for the snow and ski cross to begin. 1 of my faves De La Reux isn't in it but that's alright plenty of talent in there. Jacobellis big fave to win the womens which isn't surprising. She's always on top form.

K120 was awesome aswell, great to see Kasai on the podium. 41 now and wants to compete in 4 years time at the next olympics. Some man :) Really disapointed with Schlierenzauer though, was expecting a lot from him. Pity about Ahonen too.

Hey Fattes any idea how much it costs to send someone to the olympics? Or a team etc. Would be interesting to see the breakdown.

Advertisement